ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
sophia8
Master Poster

The Great Comet of 562 AD

According to this, a giant comet devastated Britain in 562AD, killing millions and bringing about the Dark Ages.
The writer is pretty bonkers altogether:
Quote:
When the Saxons settled in Kent upon the invitation of infamous and allegedly incestuous King Vortigern, who was accused of being a usurper of the throne in the writings of St. Glidas, they brought with them barbarism, debauchery and a literal interpretation of the allegories of the Holy Science, which had been used for thousands of years by indigenous elders to convey the science of astrotheology to their students, which happened in every corner of the globe during more enlightened ages of the Grand Cylce of the Precession of the Equinoxes.

The Saturnic/Satanic credo of ignorance was imposed upon the Britons in the name of the Christian Church of Rome, under a Babylonic system of control administered through taxation, the control of information and pseudo-religious inquisition, savagely enforced by the Germanic tribes at the behest of the Holy Roman Emperors, in order to obliterate the inherent spirituality of the millions who fearlessly sacrificed their lives in the name of the unalienable freedom that they knew to be the birthright, whether for the sake of their children, their nation and its future generations, or in the name of the Supreme Being at the centre of the Universe, manifested as matter in the form of Christos or Christ the Sun.
(Yes that is just two sentences.)

He's also into FOTL stuff and thinks the Gregorian calender reform was a conspiracy to hide the truth of the 360-day year from us.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney

Last edited by sophia8; 16th April 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Forgot the link!
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Baloney
Muse

Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
He's also into FOTL stuff...
Fruit of the Loom?
Old 16th April 2012, 02:21 PM   #3
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Baloney View Post
Fruit of the Loom?
That's EXACTLY what I was about to type, too....

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Vortigern99
Philosopher

I hereby deny all accusations of incest.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
I hereby deny all accusations of incest.
pictures or it didn't happen
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Fruit of the Loom?

Freeman On The Land.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Spindrift
My little friend is back!

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Freeman On The Land.
A different kind of fruit.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
A different kind of fruit.

...of the loon?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 02:50 AM   #9
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

History, Literature or Art?

You decide.

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Moss

According to this, a giant comet devastated Britain in 562AD, killing millions and bringing about the Dark Ages.
The writer is pretty bonkers altogether:

He's also into FOTL stuff and thinks the Gregorian calender reform was a conspiracy to hide the truth of the 360-day year from us.
Wee bit early for Holy Roman Emperors. Also curious when they ever had any foothold in the British Isles.
I'm also not aware Hengist and Horsa and their relatives were Christian.
Moss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 04:01 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just went to the website.
Wow, that is a big bunch of Woo.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 04:05 PM   #12
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Fruit of the Loom?
Freemen on the land:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freeman_on_the_land
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 04:12 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Those are two surprisingly coherent sentences, considering their length and subject matter.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2012, 10:51 PM   #14
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Fleas on the Labrador?
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2012, 11:34 PM   #15
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

According to this, a giant comet devastated Britain in 562AD, killing millions
... which, given that it's millions in plural, means killing everyone on the island. Estimated population of Britain in the 500s is about two million.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:33 PM   #16
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
... which, given that it's millions in plural, means killing everyone on the island. Estimated population of Britain in the 500s is about two million.
More seriously, it has been proposed that the worldwide crisis of the sixth century (not merely the misfortunes experienced by the Britons) was set off by a huge volcanic eruption, probably of Krakatau, in modern Indonesia, which blew its stack once more in 1883. See http://www.ees1.lanl.gov/Wohletz/Krakatau.htm
Quote:
Modern history has its origins in the tumultuous 6th and 7th centuries. During this period agricultural failures and the emergence of the plague contributed to: (1) the demise of ancient super cities, old Persia, Indonesian civilizations, the Nasca culture of South America, and southern Arabian civilizations; (2) the schism of the Roman Empire with the conception of many nation states and the re-birth of a united China; and (3) the origin and spread of Islam while Arian Christianity disappeared. In his book, Catastrophe An Investigation into the Origins of the Modern World, author David Keys explores history and archaeology to link all of these human upheavals to climate destabilization brought on by a natural catastrophe, with strong evidence from tree-ring and ice-core data that it occurred in 535 AD.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 12:18 PM   #17
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
More seriously, it has been proposed that the worldwide crisis of the sixth century (not merely the misfortunes experienced by the Britons) was set off by a huge volcanic eruption, probably of Krakatau, in modern Indonesia, which blew its stack once more in 1883. See http://www.ees1.lanl.gov/Wohletz/Krakatau.htm
I suspect the volcano helped make things worse; but, let's face it, European civilization was in a state of rapid disintegration anyway. It would be interesting to see is similar disruptions of culture took place at the same time in other civilized realms, such as China, Southeast Asia, India, Central America, Mexico and Peru.

I'm still wondering what FOTL stands for in the OP. Could it be "Fear of the Lord"?
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 06:22 PM   #18
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
...I'm still wondering what FOTL stands for in the OP. Could it be "Fear of the Lord"?
Freeman On The Land.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freeman_on_the_land

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 08:06 PM   #19
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
I suspect the volcano helped make things worse; but, let's face it, European civilization was in a state of rapid disintegration anyway. It would be interesting to see is similar disruptions of culture took place at the same time in other civilized realms, such as China, Southeast Asia, India, Central America, Mexico and Peru.
European civilisation was in a bad way, but it collapsed almost totally after the 530s. The crisis certainly affected China, as indicated in my source. As to the Americas, it has long been noticed that there was a "hiatus" in Mayan activity during the relevant period:
Quote:
In recent years there have been a number of breakthroughs in explaining the abandonment of the Mayan cities.
In 1995, archaeologist Richardson Benedict Gill used the last dates carved on monuments in cities to identify four periods when the abandonment of Mayan cities had occurred, in clusters:
a.) The pre-Classic abandonment’s of 150–200 AD.
b.) The Hiatus of 530– 590 AD.
c.) The main period of collapse ~ the Classic period: 8th/9th Centuries
d.) The Post Classic abandonments, centred on 1450 AD.
http://sites.google.com/site/medieva...n-civilisation
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 02:08 AM   #20
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks as always for the link.
It makes great rainy Saturday morning reading and musing material.

Last edited by pakeha; 28th April 2012 at 02:09 AM.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts