ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Germany history , Hermann Rauschning , Nazi Germany history , Wolfgang Hanel

Old 1st May 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Mondial
Critical Thinker

Did Hitler Really Say That?

Historian Wolfgang Haenel has revealed that a book HITLER SPEAKS (aka THE VOICE OF DESTRUCTION) which since it came out in the 1930's had been widely touted as being the secret plans of the nazi leader is nothing but a pack of lies made up by a former disgruntled nazi party official. www.ihr.org/jhr/v04/v04p378_Weber.html www.ihr.org/jhr/v06/v06p499_Weber.html
The quotes from the book which have been used by historians for decades are either outright fabrications or they come from other people.
Mondial is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 10:52 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The Institute for Historical Review is a holocaust denying hate site populated by scum like David Irving. If it said the sky was blue, I'd race outside to check.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann..._Hitler_Speaks

ETA:
Quote:
its credibility would later be severely criticised, and it now has no standing as an accurate document on Hitler for historians
I hope you are not going to go on to suggest that this proves that Hitler wasn't really so bad?

Last edited by Puppycow; 1st May 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:27 AM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann..._Hitler_Speaks

ETA:

I hope you are not going to go on to suggest that this proves that Hitler wasn't really so bad?
What else would be doing if you cite IHR?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:41 AM   #5
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The Institute for Historical Review is a holocaust denying hate site populated by scum like David Irving. If it said the sky was blue, I'd race outside to check.
That bears repeating.

The most authoritative work on this issue seems to be that of the Swiss Wolfgang Hänel, who first presented his findings at a conference of the revisionist association "Zeitgeschichtliche Forschungsstelle Ingolstadt". Hänel himself seems, however, not to be a "revisionist" but a bona fide historian.

And it also bears repeating here that Ian Kershaw has said he hasn't used a quote from this book for his Hitler biography.
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:21 AM   #6
Mondial
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mondial View Post
Historian Wolfgang Haenel has revealed that a book HITLER SPEAKS (aka THE VOICE OF DESTRUCTION) which since it came out in the 1930's had been widely touted as being the secret plans of the nazi leader is nothing but a pack of lies made up by a former disgruntled nazi party official. www.ihr.org/jhr/v04/v04p378_Weber.html www.ihr.org/jhr/v06/v06p499_Weber.html
The quotes from the book which have been used by historians for decades are either outright fabrications or they come from other people.
The reason for posting this thread is to point out that too many "historians", journalists and politicians use quotes from HITLER SPEAKS as if they are genuine when they are not.
Mondial is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:23 AM   #7
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The reason for posting this thread is to point out that too many "historians", journalists and politicians use quotes from HITLER SPEAKS as if they are genuine when they are not.
According to whom? Did you read puppycow's post?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Laeke
Critical Thinker

Not to mention the terrible quiproquo on Hitler's Mein Kunst.
Laeke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:34 AM   #9
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Evidence?
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:12 AM   #10
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
While the book may well be partly or totally a fabrication, I can't help but feel that this thread's purpose is nothing more or less than a round about way of defending Herr Hitler.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:16 AM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
While the book may well be partly or totally a fabrication, I can't help but feel that this thread's purpose is nothing more or less than a round about way of defending Herr Hitler.
Of course it is. You only need to look at the posting history of the OP.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Belz...
Fiend God

It's amazing how many of these defend-the-nazis-or-support-this-woo threads start with otherwise-benign-but-obvious-opener posts.

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:24 AM   #13
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
Of course it is. You only need to look at the posting history of the OP.
Yes, I seen Mondial's posts over in CTville. That's exactly why I said that. I probably should have ended with a to convey the slightly sarcastic tone I intended.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:45 AM   #14
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

May I suggest that you gather the true inner thoughts of Hitler and turn them into a musical?

Old 2nd May 2012, 04:20 AM   #15
paiute
Graduate Poster

They would never say that, because Rayleigh was a Jew.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Mondial
Critical Thinker

The entire book by Hermann Rauschning THE VOICE OF DESTRUCTION is available here www.jrbooksonline.com/Voice%20of%20Destruction.htm
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:24 AM   #17
coalesce
Illuminator

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
May I suggest that you gather the true inner thoughts of Hitler and turn them into a musical?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gyO9I3T8Ey...ime4hitler.jpg
You mean, you DON'T think that Hitler could dance the pants off of Churchill?

Michael
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:27 AM   #18
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Laeke View Post
Not to mention the terrible quiproquo on Hitler's Mein Kunst.
"My Art"?

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:29 AM   #19
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Does anyone else think the thread title would be a great name for a game show?

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

The entire book by Hermann Rauschning THE VOICE OF DESTRUCTION is available here www.jrbooksonline.com/Voice%20of%20Destruction.htm
Also available (among many other similar works) is
Quote:
BOLSHEVISM FROM MOSES TO LENIN by Dietrich Eckart, friend and confidant of AH from 1919-23; AH dedicated Mein Kampf to him
How touching!

You really have some strange sources of information. The list of books available at that site could be mistaken for the catalogue from an SS library.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:56 AM   #21
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
You really have some strange sources of information. The list of books available at that site could be mistaken for the catalogue from an SS library.
What do you mean "could be mistaken for"?
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:50 AM   #22
stilicho
Trurl's Electronic Bard

The original article claims that the entire book is a hoax and focuses on this quote:

Quote:
We must be brutal. We must regain a clear conscience about brutality. Only then can we drive out the tenderness from our people ... Do I propose to exterminate entire nationalities? Yes, it will add up to that ... I naturally have the right to destroy millions of men of inferior races who increase like vermin ... Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians. It is an honorable title.
I don't know whether it's the translation at fault but it's similar yet not identical in form and substance to other authentic Hitler quotes such as:

Quote:
A time will come, even though in the distant future, when there can be only two alternatives: Either the world will be ruled according to our modern concept of democracy, and then every decision will be in favour of the numerically stronger races; or the world will be governed by the law of natural distribution of power, and then those nations will be victorious who are of more brutal will and are not the nations who have practised self-denial.

LondonJohn: "I don't need to cite."
Rolfe: "I really hate lawyers."
stilicho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Baloney
Muse

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
Does anyone else think the thread title would be a great name for a game show?
May I present Garfunkel and Oates' "Who Said It: Kanye or Hitler?"
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Baloney; 3rd May 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Baloney is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 04:45 AM   #24
MaGZ
Philosopher

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gyO9I3T8Ey...ime4hitler.jpg
I see Jews.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 08:59 AM   #25
kedo1981
Master Poster

come on leave the guy alone already, he liked dogs and could draw a really good house

I readily admit I don’t know enough to say for sure that there is no God.
But I do know enough so say that anyone who claims to know the mind and will of a being such as God is a liar.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 12:01 PM   #26
sackett
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
I see Jews.
Honey, you can see Jews with your eyes closed.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:07 PM   #27
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

I see Jews.
Actually there is only one Jew in that shot
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 12:13 PM   #28
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

I have a question - If I drew information using only Hitler's public speeches from 1933 to 1939 would I draw a different conclusion to The Voice of Destruction

For me the answer is no
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 01:22 PM   #29
Captain_Swoop
Philosopher

Hitler... there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 01:36 PM   #30
Saule
Scholar

Did Ceasar really say that?
Saule is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 02:07 PM   #31
Captain_Swoop
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Saule View Post
Did Ceasar really say that?
What? 'Infamy, Infamy, They've all got it infamy?

Well, according to Talbot Rothwell he did, and who am I to argue with him?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 02:11 PM   #32
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

I see Jews.
All the time. They're everywhere.

Nice try, but no. That isn't Sixth Sense. And FYI, it's 'dead people', not 'Jews'.
Old 8th May 2012, 05:47 PM   #33
xtifr
Graduate Poster

All the time. They're everywhere.

Nice try, but no. That isn't Sixth Sense. And FYI, it's 'dead people', not 'Jews'.
Well, Hitler was basically trying to convert the latter into the former. So there's that.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 06:51 PM   #34
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Actually there is only one Jew in that shot
Two.

Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are both Jewish.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 11:12 PM   #35
Moss

I like how MagZ is trying to sell us an almost thirty year old book by a mainstream historian as something new and allimportant.
Moss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 12:40 AM   #36
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Moss View Post
I like how MagZ is trying to sell us an almost thirty year old book by a mainstream historian as something new and allimportant.
Huh? Did I miss something? The only thing I see from MagZ in this thread is a joke about the picture from The Producers. Which is well over 30 years old, but he didn't seem to be trying to sell it to us. Did you mean someone else, or is this a reference to another thread?
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 12:59 AM   #37
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by kedo1981 View Post
come on leave the guy alone already, he liked dogs and could draw a really good house
No, no, please no. Now you've opened the door for applecorped.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 09:35 AM   #38
Moss

Originally Posted by xtifr View Post
Huh? Did I miss something? The only thing I see from MagZ in this thread is a joke about the picture from The Producers. Which is well over 30 years old, but he didn't seem to be trying to sell it to us. Did you mean someone else, or is this a reference to another thread?
Sorry, for some reason I confused Mondial and MagZ.
Moss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 09:50 AM   #39
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Why does everyone hate me - Adolf Hitler april 1945
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 01:20 PM   #40
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Moss View Post
Sorry, for some reason I confused Mondial and MagZ.

Well, in your defence, that's a distinction without much of a difference.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts