ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:46 AM   #121
whatthebutlersaw
Dessert Arsonist

Originally Posted by Kotatsu View Post
It's also very common in the Jönköping area, and possibly in other parts of Småland. I use it all the time, for people as well as for my cats. Sometimes, people don't understand the word, and inescapably the cats don't care.

I have a prescriptionist aunt who hates the word because it is not a "proper word". She is the kind of person who stopped opposing the usage of the word when my mother pointed out to her that it is actually in SAOB. Misinformed prescriptionists that can be silenced that easily is the best kind of prescriptionists.

(Incidentally, for those following this thread, my thesis defense went very well, so as soon as I've sorted out some books and some red tape, I'll be the person on this forum with the most recent Ph.D.!)
Congratulations!

Permense! Gaudere meum - scis qui es.
whatthebutlersaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:05 AM   #122
Helen
Implicitly explicit

Hjärtliga gratulationer
Helen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:52 AM   #123
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Kotatsu View Post
(Incidentally, for those following this thread, my thesis defense went very well, so as soon as I've sorted out some books and some red tape, I'll be the person on this forum with the most recent Ph.D.!)
AWESOME! Will you be wearing a top hat?
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:02 AM   #124
whatthebutlersaw
Dessert Arsonist

Yes, is it laurel wreath or that awesome topper? Or both! Hat party!

whatthebutlersaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:07 AM   #125
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

I'm going to wear a bowler hat at my HS graduation.
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:25 AM   #126
RhodyDave
Critical Thinker

You chose to respond to a post by Mike3 and by me with sarcasm which is a form of aggression. We may have both not fully read every post in this thread, which is no big deal except that you took offense to this and felt compelled to call us out publicly in the thread, which is again, aggression.

You don't have to take on the role of the thread "police".
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:51 AM   #127
whatthebutlersaw
Dessert Arsonist

Originally Posted by RhodyDave View Post
You chose to respond to a post by Mike3 and by me with sarcasm which is a form of aggression. We may have both not fully read every post in this thread, which is no big deal except that you took offense to this and felt compelled to call us out publicly in the thread, which is again, aggression.

You don't have to take on the role of the thread "police".
Actually, officer, you don't decide that. What you are engaging in now is what is called "tone trolling". It is when you get caught out and try to turn the discussion into the "tone" the person correcting you used to deflect attention from your own booboo. What you engaged in, in your previous post is called "passive aggression". You may be projecting.

It is an intellectually dishonest form of discourse that does nothing to disprove the possibility that you might have read even less than you claim to, since the veracity of the article in the OP was cleared up on page one. As you have noted in this post you are not the first to do this with this thread, which kind of indicates that you might not have felt incetivized to actually get your facts straight. The sheer number of people making the same slip up indicates that this is a subject which attracts people who are just that much more interested in strawfeminists than honest debate.

Your attempt at shaming is entertaining but fruitless.

It is regrettable that there was soap on your soap box. There is, however, a way of avoiding that in the future: reading before composing your response. That is actually the minimal effort required to engage in intellectually honest debate.

The subject of the thread is neither your feelings, nor your perception of my tone or motivation. This may or may not chime with the importance you ascribe yourself, your feelings and your motivations. I take no responsibility for that.

Old 3rd May 2012, 11:25 AM   #128
RhodyDave
Critical Thinker

You responded directly to me about something that had nothing to do with you. You are an attention starved egoist. I don't have any interest in any more of your comments on the subject, but I'm sure that won't prevent you from lecturing me further.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:12 AM   #129
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

I expressly forbid you from replying to me on this public forum where my words are posted for all to see! How dare you!
Old 10th May 2012, 10:52 AM   #130
RhodyDave
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I expressly forbid you from replying to me on this public forum where my words are posted for all to see! How dare you!
Right, way to put words in someone's mouth. The parade of clowns continues...
Old 14th May 2012, 11:42 AM   #131
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

I demand this injustice be righted, posthaste.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education