ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Russia politics , vladimir putin

Old 4th May 2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Is Putin a Tsar in Everything but Name

he even has a palace it seems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17730959
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Awesome! I want to live there!
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 12:37 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
he even has a palace it seems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17730959
Is it the palace that makes the tsar?

I guess the real question is, what was the traditional extent of a tsar's authority, and is the extent of Putin's authority analagous?

It seems to me that, compared to a real tsar, Putin's ability to wield power openly is somewhat constrained. He has to go through the motions of elections, etc., whereas a real tsar wouldn't, for example.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 02:08 PM   #4
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

That's a dacha and a half. But maybe it's for the people.
Old 4th May 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
That's a dacha and a half. But maybe it's for the people.
It's a national time share. 1 family picked from the country get's an hour.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Shut up people! Now he won't be able to go there.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

I love how all the private security guards inside were having a fun game of dress up as uniformed Kremlin guard service members, including official ID that they bought "in a shop."

There is absloutely no connection to the Russian government at all, no siree.

The allegation that it was funded by embezzing charitable donations earmarked for upgrading Russian hospitals is a corker.

Is there a word for someone who is not quite a dictator? A kind of Tyrant Lite? If not we should adopt "Putin" as that word, as in: "Berlusconi tried to use his vast media influence to Putinise Italy."
Old 5th May 2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I suggest we change the title of this thread to "Putin on the Ritz"?

Second? Anyone?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2012, 11:19 AM   #9
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

Second? Anyone?
Seconded.
Old 6th May 2012, 03:22 AM   #10
Virus
NWO Inquisitor

Quote:
Is Putin a Tsar in Everything but Name
Yeah. Russia gonna be Russia.
"They say the right things. They ‘speak truth to power’, ‘transgress boundaries’, and all the rest of it. But you will have noticed that they are careful only to challenge religions that won’t hurt them (Christianity) and governments that won’t arrest them (democracies)." - Nick Cohen.
Virus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 03:29 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

As long as he keeps the commercial oligarchy sweet they are happy for him to be as much as a Tsar as he wants to be. Which was pretty much ever the case for a Russian tsar.
Old 6th May 2012, 03:55 AM   #12
ieathedead
Student

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

Second? Anyone?
I don't think that's something you should go russian into but if that's what you want to do, soviet it then.
ieathedead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Policenaut
Infidel Defiler

Russia sounds more like Umbrella Corp. every day. I'm not saying they are creating the T-Virus (yes I am) but Putin=Wesker.
Policenaut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 01:07 PM   #14
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Have you seen the well-to-do
Upon Moscow avenue
Vote fraud and giant banners
Paid mob and tsaresque manners
Paying every bill
With some government shill!

If you run
and you're not one
to play fairly
why don't you run
where Tsar-man sits
Putin on the Ritz!

Various crooks on government roll
Fixing books skewing another poll
Bear-skin mitts
Putin on the Ritz

Caught up in some shady cartel antics
fishing proudly showing off my man-tits
Some romantics!

Manly tsar, the people's choice
Lux'ry car with mobster boys
We're in the midst
Putin on the Ritz!
Old 7th May 2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Polaris
Philosopher

No. First he needs to grow a spectacular mustache.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 08:54 PM   #16
Toontown
Illuminator

It is rumored that our boy has rashly stolen the equivalent of 80 billion dollars. Which might explain the huge mansion, the safaris, PR campaigns, and whatnot.

But all those poor Russians, they admire that in a man. They fantasize about doing the same if they were in Putin's shoes.

How long can Russia hold together? Every day the bucket goes to the well. One day the bottom will drop out.

But I suppose they're accustomed to that. Just another day in paradise to them.
WHAT FORCE SO IRRESISTIBLE
AS THE WILL OF FREE MEN

Last edited by Toontown; 7th May 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 08:57 PM   #17
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
As long as he keeps the commercial oligarchy sweet they are happy for him to be as much as a Tsar as he wants to be. Which was pretty much ever the case for a Russian tsar.
Not remotely. The commercial oligarchy is to a large extent terrified of him. Which was one of the reasons why he was so popular.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 09:01 PM   #18
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
It is rumored that our boy has rashly stolen the equivalent of 80 billion dollars. Which might explain the huge mansion, the safaris, PR campaigns, and whatnot.
Its a common claim of all dictorial leaders. So far the only case that seemed to have some relationship with reality was Gaddafi. Sure its possible that he has as much as a few hundred million stashed away but billions? that kind of money is better spent on staying in power.

Quote:
But all those poor Russians, they admire that in a man. They fantasize about doing the same if they were in Putin's shoes.
Recent election results say otherwise.

Quote:
How long can Russia hold together? Every day the bucket goes to the well. One day the bottom will drop out.
Well they've got oil and as a result fairly steady economic growth so on that basis quite a while.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics