ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th May 2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Mark6
Philosopher

What is more "interesting" than explaining to your 14-year old about safe sex?

Explaining to your 20-year old about safe S&M.

Granted, for years I expected I would have to do that sooner or later. This sort of thing does tend to run in families.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Wolrab
Master Poster

Remember the safe word should never be "Stop", son.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark6 View Post

Granted, for years I expected I would have to do that sooner or later. This sort of thing does tend to run in families.
the safest advice you can give in that situation, is to tell her to stick to switch Dom/mes until she's learned to spot the predators
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Explaining to your fourteen year old about safe S&M is probably pretty 'interesting' too.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Explaining to your fourteen year old about safe S&M is probably pretty 'interesting' too.
in most countries, thats abuse
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Quote:
What is more "interesting" than explaining to your 14-year old about safe sex?
Showing?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Roma
Master Poster

You waited until fourteen ?!

I know that the T.V. cartoon show "Family Guy" has included plenty of episodes about that, little kindergarteners can learn about S&M, safe sex, and sex with the family dog if their parents let them stay up past 8pm.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roma View Post

I know that the T.V. cartoon show "Family Guy" has included plenty of episodes about that, little kindergarteners can learn about S&M, safe sex, and sex with the family dog if their parents let them stay up past 8pm.
And let them watch Family Guy - a foolish thing for little kids.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:21 PM   #9
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Roma View Post

Family guy is on before 8 in reruns.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 01:23 PM   #10
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Remember the safe word should never be "Stop", son.
It is perfectly good. It all depends on what you are doing. I think that is the standard safe word for shoots at kink at least when ungagged.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 01:26 PM   #11
bookitty
Philosopher

Your 20-year goes to the parents for advice on safe play? That is so cool. Bravo.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
Your 20-year goes to the parents for advice on safe play? That is so cool. Bravo.
No, she did not ask for advice initially. But after my wife noticed the bruises, the whole thing came out. And yes, she is quite open to advice.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Thanks to the Internet this stuff is all old news to teens, for better or worse.

I have heard teens say "Poop on my chest!" in public, as a synonym for "No way!"

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 7th May 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 01:43 PM   #14
bookitty
Philosopher

No, she did not ask for advice initially. But after my wife noticed the bruises, the whole thing came out. And yes, she is quite open to advice.
My niece and nephew went to a zero sex-ed Christian school. Although their mom is open to discussing anything with them, they don't feel comfortable asking. I cleared up a few things for my nephew only because we got on the conversation by accident and his curiosity overrode caution. The fact I am considered some sort of fallen woman by his school's standards might have helped as well. Gotta sex question, ask the slut, right?

It would be so much better if they had a safe-zone for mental exploration of their own needs with some mediator who was more trusted and knowledgeable than the interwebs.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:53 PM   #15
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It is perfectly good. It all depends on what you are doing. I think that is the standard safe word for shoots at kink at least when ungagged.
the standard safe word for the ungagged is red, usually via green and amber
the standard safe word for the gagged is banana, try it, you'll see why
the english word is stop

Last edited by Marduk; 7th May 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:58 PM   #16
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My parents didn't feel comfortable talking about sex to their children, so they never did. They left it to the schools. Guess how good Virginia's one week 8th grade "sex ed" class was in 1990? I'll put it this way: it didn't cover sex. The boys learned, from the PE teacher, that girls have periods, that they get pregnant if you have sex with them (how to have sex was not covered, nor were methods of preventing pregnancy), and you get diseases from them (what diseases there were, and prevention and/or treatment of them not covered). Oh, and we might expect to grow some hair in places (places not specified).

By the time I was out of high school I not only knew more about sex than my parents, but had had more sex than my parents. They're not bad parents, they're just easily embarrassed and kind of ignorant in certain areas of life. They left it to the schools, and the schools left it to the parents. If I hadn't been a clever boy with a strong instinct for self-preservation all sorts of horrible things could have resulted. Ignorance is dangerous.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events