ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:19 AM   #1
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Women are too fussy - Catholic priest

When it comes to male-female relationship issues, go talk to an expert:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/life...507-1y7l3.html
Quote:
The Catholic church has told women not to be too picky about their future husbands and marry early because there is a drought of eligible men.
Good PR Catholic Church.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 01:42 AM   #2
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
When it comes to male-female relationship issues, go talk to an expert:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/life...507-1y7l3.html

Good PR Catholic Church.
the only dirrect quote is:

Quote:
"I think many are setting aside their aspirations for later, but by the time they get around to it, they've missed their chance," Fr Kerin said.

"In trying to have it all, they end up missing out.

Which is pretty reasonable (well a bit cynical but eh). Please try and take into account how modern journalism works.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 01:42 AM   #3
blobru
Philosopher

Let's just hope they don't give their clergy a similar peptalk re altar boys.

{first with the sex abuse joke!}

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny

Last edited by blobru; 7th May 2012 at 01:44 AM.
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

What constitutes an "eligible" man?
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 01:55 AM   #5
blobru
Philosopher

from the article:
Quote:
...between 25 and 34 ...excluding those who were already married -, in a de facto relationship -, gay -, a single parent - or earning less than $60,000 a year.
At least it's not Catholic only (though conversion's always a possibility); but why only late twenties to early thirties (okay, it's for women in the same age bracket, but still...); and why no single parents, or no one earning less than 60 thousand (seems a somewhat arbitrary figure)?

Last edited by blobru; 7th May 2012 at 02:06 AM.
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 02:08 AM   #6
geni

Originally Posted by blobru View Post
from the article:
At least it's not Catholic only (though conversion's always a possibility); but why only late twenties to early thirties (okay, it's for women in the same age bracket, but still...); and why no single parents, or no one earning less than 60 thousand (seems a somewhat arbitrary figure)?
Well you'd have to ask Bernard Salt (the guy who came up with the numbers) that.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 02:12 AM   #7
blobru
Philosopher

Numbers which the church official cites and accepts (I assume he accepts the odd criteria for "eligible" as well; possibly having stipulated them).

Last edited by blobru; 7th May 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:13 AM   #8
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by geni View Post

Which is pretty reasonable (well a bit cynical but eh). Please try and take into account how modern journalism works.
I also watched the news report where the priest in question repeated his "can't afford to wait" message.

I have great respect for Bernard Salt, an excellent demographer, but priests giving advice on when to and who to marry? Give me a break...

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 7th May 2012 at 02:31 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 02:24 AM   #9
dirtywick
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by blobru View Post
from the article:
No single parents is because they are Catholic, who tend to frown on sex outside of marriage.

However, the 60 thousand figure is probably why his numbers are so low. That's a pretty good job for a guy in his early to mid-twenties.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 02:27 AM   #10
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
Demographer Bernard Salt has calculated that of the 1.343 million men in the same age bracket, only 86,000 single, heterosexual, well-off, young men were available after excluding those who were already married (485,000), in a de facto relationship (185,000), gay (7000), a single parent (12,000) or earning less than $60,000 a year.
Hold up, let me whip out my calculator. It looks like the income requirement knocks off 568,000 guys, the biggest portion of them all.

To be fair, shouldn't we take the 1.3 million women and start whittling down their numbers? I'm sure the numbers of "eligible" people will match up nicely. They didn't even qualify if we are talking about single women! I calculated that the 25-34 age group has roughly 1.5 million women in Australia, so I am guessing they didn't knock off those first big ticket items of taken or gay. Obviously non-middle class single mothers need to be taken off as well . And only .52% are gay? That seems too low. Men tend to have married later than women and don't seem to be all the worse off. Why is it a problem for women?

I think marriage should be about loving someone, and not a set life stage for a certain date or because of a checklist of eligibility. And the Catholics say that I'm ruining marriage .

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 7th May 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 02:36 AM   #11
blobru
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
No single parents is because they are Catholic, who tend to frown on sex outside of marriage.
Yes, and divorce. Still, there might be some widowers in there.

Quote:
However, the 60 thousand figure is probably why his numbers are so low. That's a pretty good job for a guy in his early to mid-twenties.
I would've jumped at it. I suspect the cut-off is meant to manufacture the 'startling' "lack of eligible bachelors!" headline (see Tsukasa Buddha's post above) as much as anything.

Last edited by blobru; 7th May 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:36 AM   #12
geni

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Men tend to have married later than women and don't seem to be all the worse off. Why is it a problem for women?
Men are worse off. Absent any worthwhile wars there will be more young men than woman around. This is to an extent countered by women marrying younger which expands the pool of marriable women.

Quote:
I think marriage should be about loving someone, and not a set life stage for a certain date or because of a checklist of eligibility. And the Catholics say that I'm ruining marriage .
Well the official catholic position is that marriage is about loving someone and having kids.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:45 AM   #13
blobru
Philosopher

Though gay couples can adopt, or hire surrogates.

I think God hates teh gay is the official catholic position.

Old 7th May 2012, 04:01 AM   #14
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Wasn't there a book a couple years ago that argued the same thing?

I believe the title was Marry Him: the case for settling for Mr. Good Enough.
Old 7th May 2012, 04:14 AM   #15
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Men tend to have married later than women and don't seem to be all the worse off. Why is it a problem for women?
Biology.
Old 7th May 2012, 04:21 AM   #16
paiute
Graduate Poster

Turning to a Catholic priest for marital advice is like giving a Breatharian their own show on the Food Network.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 04:26 AM   #17
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Hell, I'm 41. I've been married for 17 years. 2 kids. 8 years into my mortgage. I don't make that much. Well maybe barely at current exchange rates. It's less than 70 K anyway.
Old 7th May 2012, 04:52 AM   #18
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
It's what there's a shortage of, apparently, so women should settle for ineligible men w.r.t. marriage.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 05:14 AM   #19
Zelenius
Muse

It seems the Catholic Church is in a lot more trouble in Australia than the U.S. This may explain the desperation of their clergy. Not only does Australia have lower church attendance rates than the U.S, it also lacks large scale hispanic(mostly Catholic) immigration.

It's always fun watching the Catholic Church become increasingly irrelevant.
Zelenius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 05:25 AM   #20
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
High sperm count and motility.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 05:36 AM   #21
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Zelenius View Post
It seems the Catholic Church is in a lot more trouble in Australia than the U.S. This may explain the desperation of their clergy. Not only does Australia have lower church attendance rates than the U.S, it also lacks large scale hispanic(mostly Catholic) immigration.

It's always fun watching the Catholic Church become increasingly irrelevant.
Very good points. I come from a staunch Catholic family with uncles who were priests, aunts nuns and even a father who was a novice Marist Brother. Yet when I went to an uncle's funeral the other year, with descendants of Irish Catholics everywhere, there was a Philipini priest. After the funeral I asked my cousins (most who would identify as Catholics) if they went to church regularly. None did.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th May 2012, 08:53 AM   #22
ddt
Mafia Penguin

What a load of BS. Apply those same calculations to the pool of women in that age group and you get a comparable number.

And why didn't they include the number of men who are ineligible because they chose RC priesthood?
Old 7th May 2012, 01:02 PM   #23
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

All I know is that I'm glad my Catholic wife settled...
"Baseball is a philosophy. The primordial ooze that once ruled our world has been captured in perpetual motion. Baseball is the moment. Its ever changing patterns are hypnotizing yet invigorating. Baseball is an art form. Classic and at the same time...progressive. Baseball is pre-historic and post-modern. Baseball is here to stay."

(Stolen from the side of a lava lamp box, and modified slightly)
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 11:09 PM   #24
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Hell, I'm 41. I've been married for 17 years. 2 kids. 8 years into my mortgage. I don't make that much. Well maybe barely at current exchange rates. It's less than 70 K anyway.
The current exchange rate has 1 US dollar converting to about 0.98 Australian Dollars.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 11:10 PM   #25
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
What a load of BS. Apply those same calculations to the pool of women in that age group and you get a comparable number.

And why didn't they include the number of men who are ineligible because they chose RC priesthood?
because 5 people isn't a significant number.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 11:31 PM   #26
Caper
Illuminator

In this thread really about going after the catholic church? The advice is pretty good.... and really little to do with religion. I've heard this message (minus the marry early part) a few times over the last few years and it never really struck me as controversial. It's good advice. You spend alot of time seeking perfection, you might very well end up single wondering why you passed up certain people.

There is a lot of "real issues" in which a person can go after the catholic church for...... no need to go after a priest for fairly sound advice.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 11:49 PM   #27
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

My point is that a celebate catholic priest is not qualified to provide advice in this area.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 8th May 2012, 12:46 AM   #28
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Although I think that the Catholic Church is a horrible institution, and I often fantasise about stampeding cattle through the Vatican (Thanks Mel Brooks), I think that starting a family early is good advise.

And whilst I think that priests shouldn't tell people how to shag, they can give practical advise like this.
Priests are community counsellors to a lot of people and they see a lot of families and can thus form opinions on what is a good or bad strategy.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 12:59 AM   #29
Caper
Illuminator

My point is that a celebate catholic priest is not qualified to provide advice in this area.
I kind of agree. But I also don't necessarily agree. I don't think you have to be something in order to be able to give advice in an area. There are lots of experiences I have never had, but I'm sure I could deliver solid advice on. I think a father could give a daughter solid advice to his daughter on issues that may regard to only teenage girls (I watched Danny Tanner do it all the time.). Are they the best people to seek relationship advice from? Maybe not. But it doesn't mean the advice is bad. And in this case..... at least some of the advice appears solid.

This might actually be a surprise to you and a lot of other "skeptics" out there.... but not all catholic priests are child molesting monsters. Some are actually very good human beings.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 01:08 AM   #30
Flo
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Although I think that the Catholic Church is a horrible institution, and I often fantasise about stampeding cattle enraged elephants through the Vatican (Thanks Mel Brooks),.
ftfy

Quote:
I think that starting a family early is good advise.
Only if it doesn't mean an end to any plan for higher education or a professional career.

Quote:
And whilst I think that priests shouldn't tell people how to shag, they can give practical advise like this.
Priests are community counsellors to a lot of people and they see a lot of families and can thus form opinions on what is a good or bad strategy
^^ this

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
This might actually be a surprise to you and a lot of other "skeptics" out there.... but not all catholic priests are child molesting monsters. Some are actually very good human beings.
^^ and this.
Flo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 03:23 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Which aid and abed child molesters.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 03:35 AM   #32
Skepticemea
Master Poster

So women wanting to "have it all" are waiting to snag a bloke on more than A$60k? The Roman Cathodes really know how to patronise the hell out of a demographic, hey?

"Settle for less sooner!"

How inspirational!
Old 8th May 2012, 03:57 AM   #33
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Skepticemea View Post
So women wanting to "have it all" are waiting to snag a bloke on more than A$60k? The Roman Cathodes really know how to patronise the hell out of a demographic, hey?

"Settle for less sooner!"

How inspirational!
Exactly. Start rooting low paid losers now for the good of the one true church.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 8th May 2012, 04:02 AM   #34
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Anyway, I think it was very Christian advise.

That way, ordinary men who earn less than me can sometimes have sex too.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 04:12 AM   #35
Skepticemea
Master Poster

Exactly. Start rooting low paid losers now for the good of the one true church.
I can see the wedding song charts changing as we speak:

"What's Love Got To Do With It" - Tina Turner (ineligible due to divorce)
"I Need A Dollar" - Aloe Blakk
"The Kids Are Alright" - The Offspring (Whoops! How'd that get in there?*)

*as the bishop said to the... never mind.
Old 8th May 2012, 06:39 AM   #36
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What a great combination of instructions: "Settle for somebody and marry early" along with "never get divorced"! What a great recipe for happiness! And of course, since birth control is a sin, have lots of children in this wonderful marriage. Settled for "good enough"? How's that going to feel plus eight kids, and stuck with it for the rest of your life? Don't forget, suicide's a sin also!

Call me a cynic, but the Catholic Church has given up on hoping to convert anybody these days. The only way to get more Catholics is to breed them.
Old 8th May 2012, 06:42 AM   #37
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

Women are too fussy? Finally, the Catholic Church recognizes a fundamental truth!
Old 8th May 2012, 07:14 AM   #38
sgtbaker
Philosopher

In short; go back to the kitchen.
Yeah, I did that. 12 years later, I was borderline suicidal and just short of tearing my skin off to escape who I was. For the record, he was just as unhappy. No one should stop hoping and settle...ever!

I just want to be clear, by settling, I don't mean I settled for someone beneath me. We both settled for a situation that did neither one of us any good.
sgtbaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 08:09 AM   #39
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I think that starting a family early is good advise.
Why?

When my wife and I were married, I was 24 and my wife was 22. I was in graduate school. She just graduated with a General Studies major and was working in the library at the university.

After graduating, I got a post-doc and my wife was working customer service. I got a tenure track faculty position, and my wife went back to library work. We moved institutions and I was still an assistant prof and my wife went to vet school. I got tenured while she was in vet school, and then she graduated and got a job. Three years later she got fired from that job and she got pregnant the night we moved out her things. She started her own business and works part-time on her own schedule, I have tenure and therefore have flexibility in my schedule. Our first child was born after we had been married 16 years, and she was 38 years old.

You tell me, when should we have started our family? When I was in grad school? A post-doc? An assistant professor trying to get tenure? When she was in vet school? Immediately after she got out of vet school?

How many of these things would have not come to pass if we had started our family earlier? And why would that have been preferable to what did happen?
"Baseball is a philosophy. The primordial ooze that once ruled our world has been captured in perpetual motion. Baseball is the moment. Its ever changing patterns are hypnotizing yet invigorating. Baseball is an art form. Classic and at the same time...progressive. Baseball is pre-historic and post-modern. Baseball is here to stay."

(Stolen from the side of a lava lamp box, and modified slightly)
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 09:39 AM   #40
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I'd prefer more people had children later, just in case the pattern of later births meaning longer-lived children holds true for humans too.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events