ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Al Qaeda incidents , hostage incidents , Pakistan incidents

Old 8th May 2012, 03:40 AM   #1
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Al Qaeda captures American, then makes outrageous demands.

Apparently Al Qaeda captured an American citizen over in Pakistan. Here is a list of their demands:
Quote:
Al Qaeda's demands include the lifting of the blockade on movement of people and trade between Egypt and Gaza; an end to bombing by the United States and its allies in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia and Gaza; the release of anyone arrested on charges of belonging to al Qaeda and the Taliban.
It also calls for the release of all prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and American secret prisons and the closure of Guantanamo and the other prisons.
The group also wants the release of terrorists convicted in the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center and the release of relatives of Osama bin Laden, the founder of al Qaeda who was killed last year in Pakistan.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/07/world/...html?hpt=wo_c2

Al Qaeda isn't too bright these days are they?
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

It could be cover to distract attention from their elaborate bearer bonds heist. The CIA should parachute a barefoot wisecracking off duty cop into Pakistan immediately.
Old 8th May 2012, 05:02 AM   #3
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I wouldn't rule out a ransom demand "on the side".

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

The Taliban also demands that from this day forward, everyone must wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes!!
Moon-Spinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
IDB87
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Moon-Spinner View Post
The Taliban also demands that from this day forward, everyone must wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes!!
Good thing I don't wear underwear - I will not be a hostage to terrorist demands! USA USA!
Old 8th May 2012, 07:01 AM   #6
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------

All jokes aside, this poor fella will probably end up with his throat cut.
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 07:06 AM   #7
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

I feel bad for the guy they captured, but yes, I definitely agree that the people who have him are not the sharpest spoons in the drawer.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
All jokes aside, this poor fella will probably end up with his throat cut.
More then likely he will get a beheading. I also wouldn't be surprised if his security guards were in on the deal.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
Apparently Al Qaeda captured an American citizen over in Pakistan. Here is a list of their demands:

Gee, do they want some pankakes with that ?

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 07:47 AM   #10
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

A little biographical information on the victim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Weinstein
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 10:24 AM   #11
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Quote:
"My life is in your hands, Mr. President," said the American captured in August from his home in the Pakistani city of Lahore. "If you accept the demands, I live. If you don't accept the demands, then I die."
I hate this line of reasoning. I understand that Mr. Weinstein is being forced to say this but I must reject the premise. Al Qaeda has him and they have the knife to his throat. No one is responsible for his death but Al Qaeda. Whenever I hear something like this it just makes me mad. You simply cannot make others responsible for your actions.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:29 AM   #12
McHrozni
Illuminator

It is a pity due process interferes with the only just response: executing one AQ detainee every hour, until this man is freed. Ah well, I hope they rescue him alive and unharmed, although these hopes are slim indeed.

McHrozni
McHrozni is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 10:37 AM   #13
jbjr
Student

This line of reasoning fits perfectly within the goals of terrorism. It's not about causing enough destruction to make the other side bend to your will. Its about making the other side fear you enough or destroying their morale enough to bend to your will. Everybody "knows" who is responsible for what happens to this man but thats not always the same as how it feels. Terrorism isn't about sound logic or well reasoned arguments. Its about destroying your enemy's morale.

Also, it seems pretty likely that they are making demands this outrageous on purpose. That way they are certain that they dont get met and they can have another victim.
jbjr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Monketey Ghost
Suspended

so we can check...furthermore, all children under sixteen years old are now... sixteen years old!
Monketey Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Xulld
Master Poster

Quote:
Terrorism isn't about sound logic or well reasoned arguments. Its about destroying your enemy's morale.
I agree, which to me makes it all the more paramount that we remain rational in our policy making, and not allow fear to guide our legal system nor foreign policy., The erosion of personal rights is a direct result of emotional reactions to terrorism.

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 11:46 AM   #16
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Well the first and last demand have to a large part already been realised.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Almost a year ago ?

Why is this news now ?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It's possible, probable actually, that they know that these demands will never be met.
Old 8th May 2012, 05:05 PM   #19
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Remember that recently Israel traded thousands of Palestinian prisoners for just one captured Israeli soldier.

I don't think the USA will give up anything close to that in this case because the prisoner does not have a very high profile in the USA, but by putting video of him out there they are trying to raise his profile and value as a bargaining chip.
Old 8th May 2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Almost a year ago ?

Why is this news now ?
I think they are just now making the demands.
Old 8th May 2012, 07:09 PM   #21
Kevin_Lowe
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It's possible, probable actually, that they know that these demands will never be met.
Stop that. The point of this thread is "hyuck hyuck them dumb arabs!".
Thinking is skilled work....People with untrained minds should no more expect to think clearly and logically than people who have never learned and never practiced can expect to find themselves good carpenters, golfers, bridge-players, or pianists.
-- Alfred Mander
Kevin_Lowe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 07:22 PM   #22
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by Kevin_Lowe View Post
Stop that. The point of this thread is "hyuck hyuck them dumb arabs!".
Interesting take on the thread. I noticed how you implied that I was racist towards Arabs. Is there any reasoning behind this or just a baseless assumption?
Old 8th May 2012, 07:44 PM   #23
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Interesting take on the thread. I noticed how you implied that I was racist towards Arabs. Is there any reasoning behind this or just a baseless assumption?
It's because you said. "Al Qaeda isn't too bright..." and he's interpreting that to be a statement about all Arabic people.

If there is racism here, it wasn't yours.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 07:52 PM   #24
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It's because you said. "Al Qaeda isn't too bright..." and he's interpreting that to be a statement about all Arabic people.

If there is racism here, it wasn't yours.
Indeed. I don't recall Kevin_Lowes posting style. Is he always like this?
Old 8th May 2012, 08:01 PM   #25
Kensington Bailey
Critical Thinker

The Taliban's underwear? OK. Send it parcel post.
Kensington Bailey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 03:23 AM   #26
Cuddles
Decoy

Apparently not:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0504/us-...-compound.html
Quote:
the documents show that Bin Laden was not a 'puppet master' of jihadist groups around the world. Instead he was burdened by what he saw as their incompetence.
Old 9th May 2012, 07:03 AM   #27
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Ooh! That's gotta smart!
Old 9th May 2012, 07:10 AM   #28
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
The CIA should parachute a barefoot wisecracking off duty cop into Pakistan immediately.
"Come on out to Pakistan, have a few laughs...<grumble>"

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2012, 07:13 AM   #29
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Ooh! That's gotta smart!
I think a variation of the Peter Principle hit al Qaeda hard. If someone demonstrated ability, they moved up the ranks and became visible enough to attract the attention of anti-terrorist forces. They were then retired in one way or another.

Repeat until incompetence is the status quo.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 05:55 AM   #30
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

I can imagine the meeting they had to come up with the list of demands. It started small and snowballed into the ridiculous as each jihadist tried to one up the others. Finally one said, "They must give us Newt Gingrich's secret moon base!" It got quiet for a moment and Zawahiri said, "I think this will do."
Old 10th May 2012, 07:08 AM   #31
wheunis
Thinker

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
I can imagine the meeting they had to come up with the list of demands. It started small and snowballed into the ridiculous as each jihadist tried to one up the others. Finally one said, "They must give us Newt Gingrich's secret moon base!" It got quiet for a moment and Zawahiri said, "I think this will do."
Makes me think of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLV4VHVjk0

Last edited by wheunis; 10th May 2012 at 07:14 AM.
wheunis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 09:23 AM   #32
3point14
Pi

If I were ever offered a lucrative contract working in the middle east (let's face it, that's why he was there, to make money) then I would lodge a letter with a loved one leaving strict instructions that no-one is to pay anything to anybody if I get kidnapped.

I'd be aware I was headed into a very dangerous area, I would clearly have weighed up the pros ($$$) and cons (being kidnapped), and have decided that the pros outweighed the cons. I'd be aware that kidnap was a possibility. I wouldn't want anyone's money spent or anyone's life in jeapordy as a result of my being kidnapped.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:40 AM   #33
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
If I were ever offered a lucrative contract working in the middle east (let's face it, that's why he was there, to make money) then I would lodge a letter with a loved one leaving strict instructions that no-one is to pay anything to anybody if I get kidnapped.

I'd be aware I was headed into a very dangerous area, I would clearly have weighed up the pros ($$$) and cons (being kidnapped), and have decided that the pros outweighed the cons. I'd be aware that kidnap was a possibility. I wouldn't want anyone's money spent or anyone's life in jeapordy as a result of my being kidnapped.
I'd have a GPS tracker and a radio beacon surgically implanted inside me and then tell the CIA/USAF guys flying the predator drones to expect a phone call from me every 24 hours to let them know I'm ok.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 09:41 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Depends what you think the real purpose of these demands is. I don't think the real purpose is to achieve the goals listed.

I think the real purpose is propaganda: It's a list of excuses for their on-going campaign of violence. Expect items from this list to feature prominently in the terror-justifying rhetoric of useful idiots and Al Qaeda sympathizers in the next few months.

Al Qaeda--like the Taliban--isn't going to go away if Gitmo is closed. They'll just find some other target for their violence, and some other victims to threaten while they make unreasonable demands.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events