IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bill munns , Patterson-Gimlin film

Old 20th June 2012, 06:29 PM   #161
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
So you have a better grasp of bipedal locomotion than Meldrum?
lol I obviously don't. They concluded that the subject couldn't copy all the aspects of the walk in the documentary.

Professor Jurgen Konczak specializes in human locomotion. Professor Jeffrey Meldrum doesn't.

Last edited by OntarioSquatch; 20th June 2012 at 06:34 PM.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 06:29 PM   #162
AttorneyTom
Muse

That was fun the first time. Thanks , Castro!
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 06:40 PM   #163
Castro
Muse

You're welcome Tom. Those threads can be pretty boring sometimes, can't they?

Last edited by Castro; 20th June 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 06:42 PM   #164
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
Youre welcome Tom. Those threads can be pretty boring sometimes, can't they?
Yeah.. but when you are slogging through them.. suddenly there appears a gem !?
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 06:45 PM   #165
Castro
Muse

Definitely
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 07:37 PM   #166
GT/CS
Illuminator

Ontario,
Are you going to respond to post 153?
Old 20th June 2012, 10:29 PM   #167
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
lol I obviously don't. They concluded that the subject couldn't copy all the aspects of the walk in the documentary.

Professor Jurgen Konczak specializes in human locomotion. Professor Jeffrey Meldrum doesn't.
I'll be interested in seeing some peer review and error analysis of Prof. Konczak's findings. His credentials as a kinesiologist are certainly impressive, as a simple yahoo search shows.

This page from 2009 briefly discusses Konczak's PGF work and conclusions. I can't copy any text for the edification of the forum, but the gist is that Konczak motion-captures an athlete and concludes that "the motions could not have been made by a human". On-hand, NYU primatologist E. Sarmiento pronounces that the gait does not match that of an ape or a human.

We can see in this video (thanks, Castro!), from 29:00, that the subject in the ape suit mimicks "Patty"'s compliant gait almost perfectly. The "almost" consists in idiosyncrasies that are endemic to individual human beings.

We also see Tube and a guy named Tom Pate doing it in still photographs here.

Are Konczak and Sarmiento unfamiliar with the compliant gait? (I use it myself when I descend the steep sidewalk north of my house, or when carrying heavy boxes/loads at work.) Are they assuming that vertical femurs (as opposed to ground-plane parallel) are the sole mode of locomotion that can be classified as "human"?

I want to see their data... and better yet, get a second opinion from another kinesiologist and primatologist who don't show up semi-regularly on bigfoot shows (as Sarmiento does).

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 10:38 PM   #168
River
Illuminator

Want to see someone do the "patty" walk? You can film yourself doing it real easy. Put on some swim flippers and take long steps and film yourself doing it. Bigfeet make for bigfoot walk.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 05:04 AM   #169
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
...We can see in this video (thanks, Castro!), from 29:00, that the subject in the ape suit mimicks "Patty"'s compliant gait almost perfectly. The "almost" consists in idiosyncrasies that are endemic to individual human beings...
^^^ This.

With practice an actor could mimic my gait, or that of my wife almost perfectly - but probably never exactly perfectly.

Whoever was in the suit came up with what they thought was a suitably animalistic gait for the film. That it took a little training to mimic the film's subject is not an argument against it being a man in a suit.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 05:15 AM   #170
Drewbot
Philosopher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es1NuzcHrlc

He walks like bigfoot.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 05:17 AM   #171
Drewbot
Philosopher

It looks like this FB page: The Bigfoot Hunting Club has located a road-killed Bigfoot.
http://www.facebook.com/BigfootHuntingClub
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 07:22 AM   #172
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by River View Post
Want to see someone do the "patty" walk? You can film yourself doing it real easy. Put on some swim flippers and take long steps and film yourself doing it. Bigfeet make for bigfoot walk.
That's how it's done. When your feet are too long for your shins, you need to pick up your feet higher than normal so that your toes clear the ground. Bob H wasn't "doing" a walk on purpose. He was just walking as he does while wearing those oversized feet.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 09:12 AM   #173
tube
Muse

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
That's how it's done. When your feet are too long for your shins, you need to pick up your feet higher than normal so that your toes clear the ground. Bob H wasn't "doing" a walk on purpose. He was just walking as he does while wearing those oversized feet.
I think that's part of it, but MOB has Patterson coaching Bob H to do an "ape" walk.

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 09:21 AM   #174
GT/CS
Illuminator

Correct, that's why he did the arm swing.
Most apes don't swing their arms when they walk but most people think they do.
The arm swing is just more evidence of Patty being a bloke in a suit.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:20 PM   #175
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

^That's Bob Heironimus wearing Philip Morris's "original" suit. I don't think people understand how difficult it is creating a wearable costume that will look like Patty. When Bill Munns says 0.00005, he really means it. He knows just how impossible it is to recreate the film. People accuse him of bias because his report is not confirming on the hoax theory.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 12:28 PM   #176
Drewbot
Philosopher

^That's Bob Heironimus wearing Philip Morris's "original" suit. I don't think people understand how difficult it is creating a wearable costume that will look like Patty. When Bill Munns says 0.00005, he really means it. He knows just how impossible it is to recreate the film. People accuse him of bias because his report is not confirming on the hoax theory.
No one accuses him of bias, he admits it freely. If anyone says he is biased, they are simply quoting Bill Munns.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:35 PM   #177
Drewbot
Philosopher

What is really amazing is how good the costume and acting are in the 1955 Japanese Tarzan Baruuba movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufnIc_pIe8

If you think Patty couldn't be built in 1967, how did they build this suit in 1955?

That actor in the Gorilla suit has really short legs, far below normal human range...
Old 21st June 2012, 12:36 PM   #178
The Shrike
Philosopher

Correct, that's why he did the arm swing.
Most apes don't swing their arms when they walk but most people think they do.
The arm swing is just more evidence of Patty being a bloke in a suit.
Concur. Just check out some bipedal walking chimps and gorillas and YouTube. You won't find any swinging their arms like Patty.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 12:47 PM   #179
GT/CS
Illuminator

Ontario,
Post 153 is still unanswered.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:54 PM   #180
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
If you think Patty couldn't be built in 1967, how did they build this suit in 1955?
Or, the form-fitting muscle definition in an ape suit in 1936 Tarzan movie - not to mention The Lost World ape man from 1925? Was this technology somehow lost to Hollywood during WWII and not rediscovered until the 1970s?
Old 21st June 2012, 01:09 PM   #181
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

I listed a whole series of movies from the 30s-90s with convincing ape or ape-man suits, which have been summarily ignored by the ignorant and uninterested-in-education OntarioSquatch.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 01:23 PM   #182
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Why do you accept Roger's story over Bob's story?
Roger's story is that he fell off the horse and bent a stirrup in the process. He even showed the bent stirrup to people, so why do you think he slid off the horse?
I accept Roger's story over BobH's because BobH's story has inconsistencies with both the film and Philip Morris himself. For example, Philip Morris said the fur was made from synthetic material, while BobH said it was made from real horse hide. Roger Patterson couldn't have changed the material of the suit, he would have had to use a completely different suit.

I haven't heard of the bent stirrup, it's the first time I've heard of it, but I do know after reading many reports of Bigfoot, animals like horses and dogs become really afraid when they are around one. I'm not exactly sure what it is they are afraid of, but i'm sure it's something that can be explained by science one day. Hopefully.
Old 21st June 2012, 01:35 PM   #183
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

But Roger says he fell off the horse, bent a stirrup, and hurt his foot.

Gimlin never seems to recall these events, despite being right there.

Gimlin's horse either ran off as well, or wasn't much bothered, depending on when you ask Gimlin.

If dogs are afraid, why did Roger want some to chase Patty?

And why did he call Canada for them?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 01:57 PM   #184
GT/CS
Illuminator

I accept Roger's story over BobH's because BobH's story has inconsistencies with both the film and Philip Morris himself. For example, Philip Morris said the fur was made from synthetic material, while BobH said it was made from real horse hide. Roger Patterson couldn't have changed the material of the suit, he would have had to use a completely different suit.

I haven't heard of the bent stirrup, it's the first time I've heard of it, but I do know after reading many reports of Bigfoot, animals like horses and dogs become really afraid when they are around one. I'm not exactly sure what it is they are afraid of, but i'm sure it's something that can be explained by science one day. Hopefully.
Bob did not say it was made from horse hide. He said he was told it was made from horse hide. He told the absolute truth in that he just repeated what he was told.

You said Roger slid off the horse but he said he fell off and nearly broke his foot in the stirrup. Do you see how you do not clearly understand the facts and are basing your belief on faulty information?

If you open your mind, do some digging, and weigh all the facts you may see things in a different light, even if you don't want to.

Last edited by GT/CS; 21st June 2012 at 02:00 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 02:29 PM   #185
dafydd
Banned

How do you know that it wasn't a bear?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 02:39 PM   #186
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I do know after reading many reports of Bigfoot, animals like horses and dogs become really afraid when they are around one. I'm not exactly sure what it is they are afraid of,.
Fer crissakes. I've nearly been thrown from a horse spooked by a frikken mongoose; they're skittish animals, scared by their own shadows.

Bigfoot, gimme a break already.

Last edited by Resume; 21st June 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 02:46 PM   #187
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
How do you know that it wasn't a bear?
Of course I can't speak for every sighting, but I can confidently say many eyewitnesses know what they were looking at.
Old 21st June 2012, 03:19 PM   #188
The Shrike
Philosopher

Of course I can't speak for every sighting, but I can confidently say many eyewitnesses know what they were looking at.
Why "confidently?"

If it's because the person is knowledgeable about wildlife, that doesn't preclude the person being wrong. It doesn't preclude the person having a hallucination or having a false memory of the event. It doesn't preclude the person being hoaxed by someone else. It certainly doesn't preclude that person from fabricating the story.

This is the nature of anecdotal information, and why it's useless when it comes to describing a new species. If there isn't a piece of that new species that can be measured and described, then it's at best premature to consider that it exists at all. There are too many competing explanations for anecdotal accounts.

Note of course, that both liars and people who believe themselves to be correct will be perceived as unfailingly honest and sincere.

I don't share your confidence.
Old 21st June 2012, 03:20 PM   #189
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

No they didn't. They imagined or believed (or later fraudulently reported) that they saw an unknown, uncatalogued animal for which not a molecule of evidence exists.

Old 21st June 2012, 05:01 PM   #190
GT/CS
Illuminator

I'm amazed that you are so closed-minded that you won't consider any other possibilities.
So they all saw bigfoot. Couldn't have been anything else. None of them saw a bear, or imagined it, or were drinking at the time, and you're positive of those facts.

Why do believers tell skeptics to be open-minded when the problem is clearly with the former?
Old 21st June 2012, 05:54 PM   #191
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Just like all the thousands of eyewitnesses a century ago who so confidently reported their own fairy sightings during the fairy craze? Are you ready to believe in fairies too? The evidence may be older, but it's every bit as solid as the evidence for BF.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 08:47 PM   #192
AttorneyTom
Muse

Ontario,
Post 153 is still unanswered.
And apparently it will remain that way into perpetuity. These folks dont seem to want to reply to anything that they cannot easily cover up or explain away. They certainly do not like to be called and raised.
Old 21st June 2012, 08:52 PM   #193
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
And apparently it will remain that way into perpetuity. These folks dont seem to want to reply to anything that they cannot easily cover up or explain away. They certainly do not like to be called and raised.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=182
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:10 AM   #194
GT/CS
Illuminator

Do you have any thoughts on post 190?
Why are you so close-minded when it comes to bigfoot?

And why do you just accept the false facts you hear about bigfoot instead of searching for the truth. An example being not accepting Roger's version of him falling off the horse and bending his stirrup, but instead accepting Gimlin's story of him leaping off the horse.

Last edited by GT/CS; 22nd June 2012 at 07:15 AM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 10:41 AM   #195
GT/CS
Illuminator

Now the guy who believes Patty is a real bigfoot is going to prove it by making a suit using Long's book as a guide.

Finally, real objective evidence!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bill Munns @ BFF
I will be building a suit to Bob H.'s specifications, complete with football leather helmet and shoulder pads, and split at the waist, as he described. I will be using only the exact description Bob H. made in Long's book, Making of Bigfoot.

I will show you what you get according to his specifications, and how it compares to the PGF subject.

Bill
http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/...page__st__2550
Post 2552

I'm sure his recreation test will be completely unbiased.

One of Bill's problems is that Patterson was a better artist and craftsman than Bill could ever hope to be.

Last edited by GT/CS; 7th August 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:50 PM   #196
The Shrike
Philosopher

Munns will build a suit based on BobH's description?

That's ludicrous:

A craftsman builds something unique.

A non-craftsman examines it at close range, and decades later describes it from memory to an author who writes those statements in a book.

Based on those statements, a second craftsman attempts to recreate the unique thing.

Lemme guess - if the suit ends up an unmitigated failure that'll prove that BobH was never in the suit?
Old 7th August 2012, 03:33 PM   #197
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Munns will build a suit based on BobH's description?

That's ludicrous:

A craftsman builds something unique.

A non-craftsman examines it at close range, and decades later describes it from memory to an author who writes those statements in a book.

Based on those statements, a second craftsman attempts to recreate the unique thing.

Lemme guess - if the suit ends up an unmitigated failure that'll prove that BobH was never in the suit?
This is like shroud of Turin believers reproducing the shroud to prove it was faked.

It will not end well.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 04:20 PM   #198
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Munns knows how to fish footers.
They'll swallow it all, bait, hook and sinker.

I bet Munns can build a better bigfoot costume than the one Patterson built or adapted. I doubt, however, that he will do it.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 04:35 PM   #199
GT/CS
Illuminator

Yeah, Munns may be a dishonest attention whore and a drunk but he's intelligent enough to know what he needs to do to enhance his bigfoot career.
His joint effort with Meldrum proves that.
Old 8th August 2012, 01:18 PM   #200
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Bill is incorrect. The chance of the film being faked is more like 0

Here's a bonus gif image from SweatyYeti

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal