ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags BEC

Old 25th August 2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Biscuit
Philosopher

Black eyed children

I couldn't find another thread on this so I have started one! I was wasting time on Who forted? And came across this article on black eyed children

That took me to this book review

That's we're I am at right now. Anybody got some info on this or interesting in looking into with me than lets get started!
Old 25th August 2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Lisa Simpson

Here's looking at you, black eyes - just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Quote:
What are these BEC? Weatherly seems to think they’re an alien-human hybrid. Especially because they bear a strong resemblance to MIBs.
And CEOs.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Biscuit
Philosopher

Everything so far seems to be centered around reviews of the book I linked to. A news and image search revealed nothing of interest. Off to ats or Ickes for a look around.

Weird.
Old 25th August 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
And came across this article on black eyed children
Awesome ghost story! I got the hairs standing up on the back of my head.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Jodie
Philosopher

I never heard of such a thing until I saw this. Like vampires, they have to be invited in, I guess.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Interesting anecdote from "Carris Holdsworth" but full of unlikely assertions and plot holes, not least that pepper spray is illegal in the UK. Not just to carry, but to sell, purchase or import.
Old 26th August 2012, 03:31 AM   #7
baron
Philosopher

As demonstrated in an interview with the bat-**** crazy Streiber, the author has some convincing evidence that it's not just kids playing around. This consists of his belief that kids "have better things to do" than play pranks on people (erm...) and anyway, "what would be the point?" For positive proof that cannot be denied, he had his own kids so some research amongst their own peer group and this confirmed his position. This combined with the unequivocal evidence that contact lenses are sometimes uncomfortable to wear seals the alien entity theory.

I've not actually heard his theory on the black eyes themselves. Specifically, why an otherworld entity would takes the trouble to perfectly assume human form, dress in normal clothes and learn English but omit to disguise arguably the most important part that helps one human relate to another - the eyes. You'd imagine that things would go a lot smoother if they'd go the whole hog and get the eyes sorted too, but I suppose if they did that there'd be no call for these ludicrous woo woo stories.

Last edited by baron; 26th August 2012 at 03:32 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 05:07 AM   #8
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Sounds to me like Black Sclera contact lenses are becoming fashionable. But they're not really appropriate for children.
Old 26th August 2012, 07:05 AM   #9
fuelair
Suspended

One of the mysterious black eyed children: http://kellyannimages.com/blog/wp-co...avblackeye.jpg
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 10:14 AM   #10
dafydd
Banned

I know somebody with black irises. It's a bit disconcerting when he stares at you.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 10:31 AM   #11
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Sounds to me like Black Sclera contact lenses are becoming fashionable. But they're not really appropriate for children.
Seconded.
But I remember how fun it was to freak out adults...
Old 26th August 2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Interesting anecdote from "Carris Holdsworth" but full of unlikely assertions and plot holes, not least that pepper spray is illegal in the UK. Not just to carry, but to sell, purchase or import.
I thought so. That raised alarm bells for me.

Other than comments on blogs that haven't been updated in 4 years I can't find any reliable first hand accounts. Almost as if the whole thing is based on one book.

ETA: No surprise a search on ATS results in 825 hits.

Last edited by Biscuit; 26th August 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Biscuit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Goddamnit I have a very boring life.

I never see lizard people.
I never see big foot.
I never see ghsot.
I never see alien (and never been anal probed)
I nerver see black eye children.
I never feel premonition.
I never saw items moving aon their volition.
I never was possessed by a demon.

Not only I never saw any of those, but I never knew somebody which did.
And i never knew somebody's acquaintance which did either (unless you can count the JREF forum).

My life is paranormally-boring as hell.

Thanks for the FSM for the minimum of rationality I have got. On the other hand I will never get rich scamming people by selling book on non existing stuff.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

I blame vampire film and series like "being human". Unsurprinsingly when some sort of film/book are "in" fashion, the woo adapt to see it (see for example alien body form and alien saucer form).

ETA: just like described above the vampire in being human get fully black sclera before feeding/showing teeth.

Last edited by Aepervius; 26th August 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Biscuit
Philosopher

It seems this was a hot topic in 2006 - 2010 and then just disappeared.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I blame vampire film and series like "being human". Unsurprinsingly when some sort of film/book are "in" fashion, the woo adapt to see it (see for example alien body form and alien saucer form).

ETA: just like described above the vampire in being human get fully black sclera before feeding/showing teeth.
Thats what I am thinking. A HBO show or movie inspired this. The lack of actual first hand accounts makes me think its a trend more than an event.

Maybe even a marketing ploy.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Biscuit
Philosopher

Having read a number of claimed first hand and second hand encounters here are the common threads

Bright teeth, unusual diction and speech for their age, almost always an older and younger one together, either strange clothing or dressed normal (some stories go back as far as 1998 so dressed as a 14 year old did then) but the manner of dress is always noted as either common or out of place, a sense of fear, usually the younger one doesn't speak, and black eyes, and it seems "black eyed KIDS" is the more common name.

A lot of links to stories have their pages deleted, which makes me thing some paranormal sites were suckered into a prank or marketing ploy and have deleted their posts on it. Every account has the same "tone" to it, the same rhythm and feel. Nothing on snopes. This is bugging the crap out of me for some reason.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:21 PM   #18
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Goddamnit I have a very boring life.

I never see alien (and never been anal probed)
My life is paranormally-boring as hell.

.Thanks for the FSM for the minimum of rationality I have got. On the other hand I will never get rich scamming people by selling book on non existing stuff.
I believe the two above do not both need to happen for one or the other to happen.
I have no speculations on the more likely...........
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Naddig74
Has a Rucksack

I've never seen an Alien, but I have been anal probed...
Old 26th August 2012, 12:41 PM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

According to Wiki it's really very dark brown that appears to be black irises. They have one example image.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:42 PM   #21
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
One of the mysterious black eyed children: http://kellyannimages.com/blog/wp-co...avblackeye.jpg
Cool kid but I wouldn't let the kid in my car.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:44 PM   #22
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I couldn't find another thread on this so I have started one! I was wasting time on Who forted? And came across this article on black eyed children

That took me to this book review

That's we're I am at right now. Anybody got some info on this or interesting in looking into with me than lets get started!
Silly non sense about kids with dark eyes acting strangely. My ex wife had eyes so dark you couldn't tell where her pupils were. Nothing supernatural about her.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:02 PM   #23
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
According to Wiki it's really very dark brown that appears to be black irises. They have one example image.
The eyes in these stories are "pools of black." No iris or pupil. They always seem to take place at dusk or in poor light so that could be a partial explanation.

My thinking right now is it was a prank or marketing tool. Even though I have read accounts claiming to date to the late 90's the majority seem to fall into the 2006 - 2010 time period.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:12 PM   #24
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Silly non sense about kids with dark eyes acting strangely. My ex wife had eyes so dark you couldn't tell where her pupils were. Nothing supernatural about her.
My ex had blue eyes but she did turn up on my doorstep asking to be let in, and I did experience extreme fear, so I don't know what to think.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Biscuit
Philosopher

This a good summation.

Quote:
Well, there really isn’t any conclusion. There are just too many “X” factors involved at this point. But whether BEKs are ghosts, vampires, demons, half-aliens, internet hoaxsters or prank prone teens with black contacts, anthropologists and folklorists should take note as this marks one of the few times in recorded history when a legend can be traced to a specific time, place and individual.
Need to find out more about this Brian guy.

Quote:
This strange trend was first reported by journalist Brian Bethel on January 16, 1998
Old 26th August 2012, 01:21 PM   #26
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

While the whole "black eyes" trope has been around in movies and TV for donkeys years - I first saw it in "Krull" and I bet it's older than that - 2006-2010 neatly coincides with the storylines on the popular TV show "Supernatural" where demons were the main antagonists. The demons possessed regular folks and revealed themselves by their all black eyes. In the 2008-2009 season the big bad was Lilith, a super powered demon inhabiting a creepy little girl.

The "creepy child" trope has been around even longer, with movies like "The Bad Seed" from 1957 and it's imitators, including 2009's "Orphan". (Note the eyes.)

John Wyndham's "The Midwich Cuckoos" was published in 1957 and filmed in 1960.

It's regular fixture of genre TV as well. The very first episode of Doctor Who was titled "An Unearthly Child", and it's cropped up several times in the new series. "The Empty Child" is one of my favourite episodes.

Given it's prevalence in pop culture, this was a meme ripe for an urban legend. I'd be interested to know the folklore history of the "creepy child."

ETA: I should have checked first. The trope is even called "Creepy Child."

I'd forgotten "The Turn of the Screw" and I've never read "Jude the Obscure" but there are a bazillion examples going back hundreds of years. Wednesday Addams is a parody of the trope. In recent years Jodelle Ferland has made a career out of it.

Last edited by Carnivore; 26th August 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Carnivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 01:29 PM   #27
baron
Philosopher

Best employed (IMO) in Jacob's Ladder (1990). "ANYBODY HOME!?" I nearly crapped my pants on the first viewing.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:44 PM   #28
ShadowSot
Graduate Poster

Sounds about right. I remember when on ATS it seemed like every other thread was someone spotting BEK. Almost as many as Freemason threads.

If I had to guess, I'd think it was triggered by someone setting the idea in some of these people's heads, and then it ran rampant as a meme, then sort of petered out like they do.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 01:56 PM   #29
Biscuit
Philosopher

I have emailed the person I believe is the actual Brian Bethel. Invited him to email me or join the JREF and post here. FIngers crossed.

My current thinking is this was written and submitted to an early ghost forum called ghostchat.org that has been defunct since 2004. I think Brian may have been behind the scenes on that site and this was written, along with some other stories, to provide content. I no longer think this was a movie or TV show thing although there are similarities.
Old 26th August 2012, 03:33 PM   #30
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Naddig74 View Post
I've never seen an Alien, but I have been anal probed...
People with gastric disterbances are prone to that. Especially sufferers of IBS...

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 03:56 PM   #31
Jodie
Philosopher

I wonder where I can get this kind of contact lens......I could answer the door to tricker treaters and scare the parents. I bet they would throw my candy away.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 06:17 PM   #32
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I wonder where I can get this kind of contact lens......I could answer the door to tricker treaters and scare the parents. I bet they would throw my candy away.

Here's one site: http://extremesfx.com/black-sclera.html

(But they're absurdly expensive.)
Old 26th August 2012, 06:40 PM   #33
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe these are just Indigo Children all grown up?

See: http://www.amagicalworld.com/index.p...&id=9&Itemid=9

Or, if you want to be rational about things: Indigo_childrenWP

Old 26th August 2012, 06:46 PM   #34
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

You'll notice the rationalization in the story that such lenses are expensive and uncomfortable -- very expensive and extremely uncomfortable.

As if either were a barrier to someone wanting to do this. Of course, this all presumes there are actually any real appearances rather than just claims of same.

Difficulties in faking a phenomenon are only important if a proposed phenomenon actually occurred, fake or otherwise.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 07:03 PM   #35
wasapi
Illuminator

Hmmm . . . I wonder what happens when an Indigo child and a black-eyed child eventually get together and reproduce?
Old 26th August 2012, 07:07 PM   #36
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Hmmm . . . I wonder what happens when an Indigo child and a black-eyed child eventually get together and reproduce?
Barney - the purple whateveritis? Barney_%26_FriendsWP
Old 26th August 2012, 09:28 PM   #37
sadhatter
Philosopher

You know, i always roll my eyes at how creepy versus scary any kind of scary cryptid ( from greys to black eyed children.) is.

To explain.

An ugly black spider dangling from a thread in front of you as you watch t.v. is creepy. It may be unpleasant , it may induce a sense of fear, but it doesn't have a level of real danger ( obviously we are talking about a normal, non poisonous spider here.). By contrast, an angry tiger strolling into the room is scary, not only does it induce fear, but it also has a real level of danger.

But all i ever see is creepy ****, what type of wacky evolution is happening in the monster world? Is it in reverse, which would explain why all the legitimately dangerous ones like ogres, dragons, and the like are no longer around, or, a more wacky thought, are these the surviving members of a race of things that actually sucked worse than they do?

Imagine all the fossils of Pink Toed Old Folks we may find, the vast underground societies of Smallfeet, Pensylvania Dutch Devils, Happy Gassers, Chupakittens, Fat Men, Mauves, and Failiens all left to die off as their better equipped , yet still very lame evolutionary cousins survived.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2012, 09:54 PM   #38
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

What's really fun is that there are no stories about people who let the kids use their phone. Maybe they really are dangerous sadhatter. (Queue posting involving someone allowing them to use their phone.)
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2012, 12:06 PM   #39
Naddig74
Has a Rucksack

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
People with gastric disterbances are prone to that. Especially sufferers of IBS...
My guts are fine, I'm just a pervert...
Old 27th August 2012, 07:34 PM   #40
I Am He
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
You know, i always roll my eyes at how creepy versus scary any kind of scary cryptid ( from greys to black eyed children.) is.

To explain.

An ugly black spider dangling from a thread in front of you as you watch t.v. is creepy. It may be unpleasant , it may induce a sense of fear, but it doesn't have a level of real danger ( obviously we are talking about a normal, non poisonous spider here.). By contrast, an angry tiger strolling into the room is scary, not only does it induce fear, but it also has a real level of danger.

But all i ever see is creepy ****, what type of wacky evolution is happening in the monster world? Is it in reverse, which would explain why all the legitimately dangerous ones like ogres, dragons, and the like are no longer around, or, a more wacky thought, are these the surviving members of a race of things that actually sucked worse than they do?

Imagine all the fossils of Pink Toed Old Folks we may find, the vast underground societies of Smallfeet, Pensylvania Dutch Devils, Happy Gassers, Chupakittens, Fat Men, Mauves, and Failiens all left to die off as their better equipped , yet still very lame evolutionary cousins survived.
Why do they always want to use a phone? How many kids do you know today that don't have some type of cell phone?

I Am He

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal