IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bill munns , Patterson-Gimlin film

Old 8th August 2012, 02:02 PM   #201
River
Illuminator

I would suspect that Munns may be good at fooling people about monster costumes. That is what his career was built upon. Not much of a stretch to sell bigfoot after a career in monster making. At least Munns makes money from his bigfoot interest and time. The only part I dislike is the bigfoot is a scam, an illusion created for profit. Then again so are many parts of the "entertainment" industry. While bigfoot is certainly entertaining, it is marketed as a real creature = godzilla, king kong. The only difference is the cult following truly believe its a real animal.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2012, 04:28 PM   #202
GT/CS
Illuminator

OS,
Thanks for posting the images of the wrist band that attaches the glove to the sleeve.
Old 8th August 2012, 04:39 PM   #203
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
Please explain what you think this gif proves, shows or vaguely indicates.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2012, 04:52 PM   #204
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Bill is incorrect. The chance of the film being faked is more like 0

Here's a bonus gif image from SweatyYeti

Here is a bonus image showing the overlap between the furry diaper and the thigh .

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 8th August 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2012, 05:09 PM   #205
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

That's too precious - Munns' pretense of building the "Bob Heironimus Suit".

That's why I come here, after punching the clock at the steel factory.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2012, 07:19 PM   #206
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/z.../waderline.gif

Here is a bonus image showing the overlap between the furry diaper and the thigh .
What isnt there to like about a furry diaper.. I mean.. um.. well.. they are so.. comfortable.. nevermind. ahem.. I hear they are quite nice ?! Atleast from what I hear about them from other people who might have encountered them unlike myself.

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 8th August 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: I heard that they are quite nice... jsyk..
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2012, 08:04 AM   #207
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

http://i47.tinypic.com/a5drgn.jpg

^That's Bob Heironimus wearing Philip Morris's "original" suit. I don't think people understand how difficult it is creating a wearable costume that will look like Patty. When Bill Munns says 0.00005, he really means it. He knows just how impossible it is to recreate the film. People accuse him of bias because his report is not confirming on the hoax theory.
Your posts continue to baffle, tickle and annoy me, all in one foul swoop. Does it ever grow tiresome when you have to constantly avoid using your surviving brain cells to try and make Bigfoot seem more believable?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2012, 08:14 AM   #208
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I accept Roger's story over BobH's because BobH's story has inconsistencies with both the film and Philip Morris himself. For example, Philip Morris said the fur was made from synthetic material, while BobH said it was made from real horse hide. Roger Patterson couldn't have changed the material of the suit, he would have had to use a completely different suit.

I haven't heard of the bent stirrup, it's the first time I've heard of it, but I do know after reading many reports of Bigfoot, animals like horses and dogs become really afraid when they are around one. I'm not exactly sure what it is they are afraid of, but i'm sure it's something that can be explained by science one day. Hopefully.
I love how the many glaring inconsistencies within both P&G's stories seem to be unimportant to you. Sometimes Patterson fell off the horse, sometimes he didn't, sometimes it landed on him, sometimes it didn't... I mean, hey, a massive horse falling on you isn't something you'd remember? Pffft.

All of that contradicts what Gimlin has stated in other interviews.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2012, 03:38 PM   #209
GT/CS
Illuminator

Munns is now drifting towards tree breaks as being possible signs of bigfoot, but he's smart enough to say so in a noncommittal manner.

I went out for a couple days earlier this week, and the only notable thing I found was a tree break on a sapling about 6 feet off the ground. The branches below the break where intact and no trees around the sapling were in any way damaged. In my mind if it was wind.....other trees would exhibit some sort of damage close by and if it was a moose or elk? They would have raked the tree from lower down in a upward motion, damaging the lower branches. It was also twisted over and snapped off and not cut. I would chalk this up to a "maybe", something that is odd, but not necessarily evidence per say. But from a recon standpoint it would be something you would document.

Some small critter probably crawled up the tree as far as it could before the tree failed.

Last edited by GT/CS; 21st October 2012 at 04:43 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2012, 04:34 PM   #210
DennyT
Illuminator

Bigfoot pole dancer. Probably barechested. I could be wrong.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2012, 07:05 PM   #211
Kilaak Kommander
Critical Thinker

Tontar, were you involved in any way with this tree break? Why haven't you confessed to breaking the tree?
Kilaak Kommander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2012, 09:05 PM   #212
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Munns is now drifting towards tree breaks as being possible signs of bigfoot, but he's smart enough to say so in a noncommittal manner.

I went out for a couple days earlier this week, and the only notable thing I found was a tree break on a sapling about 6 feet off the ground. The branches below the break where intact and no trees around the sapling were in any way damaged. In my mind if it was wind.....other trees would exhibit some sort of damage close by and if it was a moose or elk? They would have raked the tree from lower down in a upward motion, damaging the lower branches. It was also twisted over and snapped off and not cut. I would chalk this up to a "maybe", something that is odd, but not necessarily evidence per say. But from a recon standpoint it would be something you would document.

Some small critter probably crawled up the tree as far as it could before the tree failed.
Can you post a link that will show where Bill Munns has actually said that or is that a quote from the event? I'm asking this because I'm not so sure Bill Munns actually said that.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 03:54 AM   #213
Drewbot
Philosopher

OS is trying to get people suspended. OS knows that LINKING TO BFF at JREF is a banning offense.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 04:12 AM   #214
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
OS is trying to get people suspended. OS knows that LINKING TO BFF at JREF is a banning offense.
Um, no, it's not. Importing arguments from over there will get you into trouble, but just quoting from BFF is fine.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 04:36 AM   #215
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Bigfoot pole dancer. Probably barechested. I could be wrong.
I have no idea if you are right or wrong but I can't remove the picture from my brain anymore now....
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:51 AM   #216
GT/CS
Illuminator

Can you post a link that will show where Bill Munns has actually said that or is that a quote from the event? I'm asking this because I'm not so sure Bill Munns actually said that.
You're right, it was Norseman.
Bill used to have the same avatar and I visit so rarely I confused the two.

Sorry Bill.

Last edited by GT/CS; 22nd October 2012 at 06:11 AM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:39 AM   #217
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Hey Ontario, while you're here, why not respond to this message?

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
http://i49.tinypic.com/ir2qn7.gif
(Post #203, upthread, from 8 August)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Vortigern99; 22nd October 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:51 PM   #218
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Or an immature specimen of homo sapiens sapiens.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:46 PM   #219
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

http://i49.tinypic.com/ir2qn7.gif
It shows Patty flexed her fingers.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 04:10 PM   #220
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Okay.

You've heard of gloves, right?

You're aware that make-up professionals can glue hair to them?

What was the contention here again?

Old 22nd October 2012, 07:45 PM   #221
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Actually it doesn't..

It shows the camera angle changed..
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:02 PM   #222
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

I'm pretty sure the gif image shows her fingers have naturally moved by muscle contraction. If it is a glove I don't think it would be a big, bulky one. I think it would need to be a rather thin one that will show the natural shape of a hand. Just another very natural detail that makes the PGF what it is today.
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:12 PM   #223
DozingConsciously
Student

I'm pretty sure the gif image shows her fingers have naturally moved by muscle contraction. If it is a glove I don't think it would be a big, bulky one. I think it would need to be a rather thin one that will show the natural shape of a hand. Just another very natural detail that makes the PGF what it is today.
Didn't tube do this one? I can't link to it because I'm a 'noooob' (15 posts needed), but it's dealt with fairly comprehensively on the first page of his site (orgoneresearch.com).

I could go into a rant about what's happened at another forum perhaps being a deliberate attempt to prevent the credulous newcomer from finding discussions where issues like this had already been thoroughly dealt with. But I suspect you have access to the communally-generated information that's now behind a paywall, so I suggest you start there.
DozingConsciously is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:22 PM   #224
GeeMack
Banned

No, it absolutely does not. You still seem to be having trouble with the concept of objectivity. Please remember, there are many members here who do understand the concept and would be glad to help you if you ever care to understand it, too.

The Patterson-Gimlin film today is a remnant of an old hoax that Bigfoot believers cling to like a Catholic stroking a rosary. It's a strip of celluloid, individual frames of "detail" like the rosary beads, each one a symbol of something the believers desperately wish was real.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 04:24 AM   #225
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

This has been discussed to the point of nausea here at JREF.

I realize it's a lot to look through, but trust me on this one.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 04:43 AM   #226
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

. Just another very natural detail that makes the PGF what it is today.
It is today what it was then: an attempt to beguile the credulous for profit.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:19 AM   #227
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Actually it doesn't..

It shows the camera angle changed..
I don't accept this assertion as conclusively evidential. Comparing the two non-contiguous frames in OS's borrowed gif, the fingers clearly move.

"Muscle contraction" of the dude wearing the suit, yes. Please explain your rationale for thinking a thin glove is a) required and b) not shown in the film.

Old 24th October 2012, 04:28 AM   #228
Drewbot
Philosopher

A brief rehashing of the Bill Munns saga, add or correct if wrong.

Comes to JREF, opens a thread called The Munns Report, says he wants to discuss his report.

Asks the forum to close the thread after 50 pages or so, saying he doesn't want to waste server space for the forum.

Threatens lawsuit if the JREF doesn't go after people who are commenting on his work.

Gets banned.

Comes back to the JREF as a sockpuppet, presumably Cbengalensis, and tries to re-engage participants.

Gets suspended.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 12:33 PM   #229
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

LOL! Can you do one for Ed Smith and Jon-Erik Beckjord?
Old 24th October 2012, 01:13 PM   #230
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

LOL! Can you address any one of the numerous rebuttals to your absurd position that gloves don't bend?

Old 24th October 2012, 01:31 PM   #231
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

your absurd position that gloves don't bend?

When did I take that position
Old 24th October 2012, 02:13 PM   #232
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Bolded relevant portion. Please explain.

Old 24th October 2012, 02:21 PM   #233
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

I don't think it would be a bulky glove due to the size and shape of her hand compared to the size of her forearm and estimated height. So if it is a glove, I think it would be a thin one designed to look very natural.
Old 24th October 2012, 03:03 PM   #234
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Okay, so it's a thin one designed to look very natural over the meaty man-hands of the suit wearer. How does this disqualify the subject from being a dude in a suit?

Old 24th October 2012, 03:07 PM   #235
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

It doesn't. I was simply making an observation on the hand
Old 24th October 2012, 05:54 PM   #236
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

An observation which is also valid if the hand is inside of an ape-suit glove.

Old 24th October 2012, 07:10 PM   #237
AttorneyTom
Muse

It doesnt look very natural. It is nice that patty waives at us all though. She is quite fetching !
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 10:25 PM   #238
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker

Now the guy who believes Patty is a real bigfoot is going to prove it by making a suit using Long's book as a guide.

Finally, real objective evidence!!!!!

[link omitted so i can post...]

I'm sure his recreation test will be completely unbiased.
Absolutely. Have you considered applying for the 1 million dollar challenge?

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

BFF -> Munns Report -> Page 105 -> 3rd to last post

Be careful though, it seems ole Bill is rather sensitive these days.
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 11:21 PM   #239
GT/CS
Illuminator

What's your point regarding the post you referenced?
Old 12th January 2013, 05:58 AM   #240
dafydd
Banned

Why do you call a man in a suit ''her''?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal