ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptoid

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th August 2012, 02:29 AM   #201
Socrates
New Blood

An episode about how every new age cult leader (or follower)comes up with a sophisticated "documentary" every now n then, full of misinformation and quote-mining. Or an episode about how easy it is to form a cult ( The Carlos Hoax, Kumare etc)
Or an episode about How to make a Crop-Circle (see Rod Dickinson)
Socrates is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2012, 10:10 PM   #202
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Would love to see one on the alleged Aurora aircraft.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 11:02 AM   #203
fmhummel
New Blood

Pseudo-Pagan Easter Bunny

Before I switched to medicine I studied european ethnology. One of the more traditional subject of this cultural science was the history and socio-cultural evaluation of traditions, holidays and customs.
Wherever we look, we see claims that the Christmas tree is a pagan tradition (even James Randi said that once in an interview!), that the Easter Bunny and the Easter Eggs are pagan fertility symbols, and so on and so on...
The first thing I got taught in my studies back then was, that this information is based on pseudo-science and that there is nor a single historic proof for a connection between those things and pagan mythology. For example: There is no record of Christmas trees before the 16. century - a millenium after the death of pagan religions in central Europe. The Easter Bunny is even later - it gained fame through children's books in the 19th century.
Still, few people know that. Every Christmas or Easter (just the two examples) we get drowned in this information based on the fantasies of Jacob Grimm. It would be really nice to hear an episode about that.
fmhummel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2013, 02:15 PM   #204
Caper
Illuminator

I would love to listen to an episode about the Brian Dunning defense...... Where Dunning steps back, pretends he is a neutral observer and rips his own flimsy claims of innocence (or ignorance) apart...... that would be a spectacular ever.... and I truly would respect you for it.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2013, 05:07 AM   #205
DuvalHMFIC
Critical Thinker

Too late, he already plead guilty a week ago...
Old 25th April 2013, 02:03 AM   #206
deadendmind2013
Student

the Lightbulb conspiracy
deadendmind2013 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2013, 05:23 PM   #207
TommyG
New Blood

Hiya! Long time listener, first time poster here. I've just got a few potentially interesting ideas for future Skeptoid episodes to suggest.

PET FOOD WOO - It seems you can't hardly watch TV without someone barking about how the cheap crap you're feeding your beloved furry children is killing them. If you would only buy them some specific brand of overpriced kibble then they would love you even more. What does the science say?

THE KECKSBURG UFO A.K.A. Pennsylvania's Roswell - Is there any convincing evidence that ANYTHING actually crashed there?

PROBIOTICS - What exactly are they and do that have any value as supplements for general health or as treatment for specific conditions?

Ignore or discuss as you see fit.
TommyG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:16 AM   #208
DuvalHMFIC
Critical Thinker

Brian touched on the Kecksburg UFO in episode a listener feedback episode, #158 back in April.
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:51 AM   #209
TommyG
New Blood

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Brian touched on the Kecksburg UFO in episode a listener feedback episode, #158 back in April.
Yes he did but it was in episode #358, not #158. Dunning merely touches on the question of whether or not some government agent may or may not have coerced one or more witnesses into silence. I was hoping there might be enough material and interest to be worthy of a more in-depth, full length show.
TommyG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2013, 01:50 PM   #210
Strange famous
Scholar

Not sure if any of these ones has been done or not, so apologies if so, but these are some things that have always fascinated me:

*The Green Children of Woolpit (and if it is just a myth, what did the myth mean). I grew up near Woolpit so have always really REALLY been interested in this one!

*New England's Dark Day

*Phantom hums (not sure if thats the right word, but these instances where people in a whole town can hear this low frequency, very deep noise, and nobody knows where it's coming from

*The Entity/Old Hag/Sleep Paralysis experience

*I once saw a documentary about Archimedes and a new book of his writing that was found. They theorised that if what he knew had not been lost, we would be on Mars today and in general science would be 50/100 years further forward than it was. In general, I think its a really interesting concept - if all of the knowledge of the "classical" era had continued to be built upon rather than "lost" - what would the world be like today? Would we have built weapons that would have blown ourselves away? Or would be live in some kind of high tech utopia? Or would we have stagnated at some other stage?
Strange famous is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2013, 04:57 AM   #211
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

"How I swindled EBay for 7 million dollars because they're so stupid and I'm so bloody clever".

Quote:
*Phantom hums (not sure if thats the right word, but these instances where people in a whole town can hear this low frequency, very deep noise, and nobody knows where it's coming from
He's already done an episode on this, "Can you hear the hum?" .
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptoid