ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:01 PM   #1
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Post election unhinging

So we've seen Karl Rove & Donald Trump lose their **** over the election result but I kind of feel like I might be missing some unforgettable moments as I haven't had a chance to tune into the American media much over the last few days. So in the interests of my own personal schadenfreude what other examples of unhinging have people seen over the last few days?

"In this political climate, all of science is vulnerable to ideological attack when reality disagrees with political beliefs."
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2012, 11:08 PM   #2
bit_pattern
Illuminator

I did come across this on Twitter. Tres amusing

http://whitepeoplemourningromney.tumblr.com/

"In this political climate, all of science is vulnerable to ideological attack when reality disagrees with political beliefs."
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 12:04 AM   #3
fromdownunder
Illuminator

While certainly not in the same league as the big guns mentioned here, there is 18 year old Kristen Neel who tweeted, and I quote:

"I'm moving to Australia, because their president is a Christian and actually supports what he says."

A couple of issues here.

1. We don't have a president.
2. Our Prime Minister is Female.
3. She is an atheist.

Apart from these things, she was close to the facts. For example, Australia exists.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...#ixzz2Bf3KprDe

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 12:47 AM   #4
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Nice one Norm! That's the sort of stuff I'm after

Old 9th November 2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

Bet you're all singing "Tie me teenager down, sport!"
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 02:36 AM   #6
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
While certainly not in the same league as the big guns mentioned here, there is 18 year old Kristen Neel who tweeted, and I quote:

"I'm moving to Australia, because their president is a Christian and actually supports what he says."

A couple of issues here.

3. She is an atheist.

Apart from these things, she was close to the facts. For example, Australia exists.

Norm
Well, Australia does have a Christian sovereign; perhaps that'll be close enough.
Old 9th November 2012, 02:39 AM   #7
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Well, Australia does have a Christian sovereign; perhaps that'll be close enough.
Even she is a she. A matriarch of a family that has condoned adultery among other non-Christian activities that she professes not to believe in. So two 1/2 ain't bad I guess...

Old 9th November 2012, 03:44 AM   #8
ohms
Muse

https://twitter.com/TerribleAmerica
Old 9th November 2012, 04:17 AM   #9
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
111 followers. Why post a twitter troll account with zero "klout" in the world?

Old 9th November 2012, 05:51 AM   #10
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

I've heard SNL's Victoria Jackson had a Twitter meltdown about the death of America and being ashamed of America's Christians for letting this happen. I still can't decide if she's a Poe or not.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:25 AM   #11
ohms
Muse

Originally Posted by bit_pattern View Post
111 followers. Why post a twitter troll account with zero "klout" in the world?
Because this thread is called "Post election unhinging" and there seems to be quite a bit of it being retweeted in the link I posted. I'm not sure how retweeting other people's tweets makes it a troll account.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit

I'll have to track it down again, but someone had posted a number of twitter posts regarding excitement with BO being re-elected because "now everyone will have free heath care!"

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Spindrift
My little friend is back!

Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I'll have to track it down again, but someone had posted a number of twitter posts regarding excitement with BO being re-elected because "now everyone will have free heath care!"
When he declares martial law that is the second thing he is going do. The first of course is to make Islam the official religion of the USA.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:46 AM   #14
ebardos
Scholar

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
The first of course is to make Islam the official religion of the USA.
Now we will have a bunch of atheists who have to convert from not believing in God to not believing in Allah. A lot of work ahead.
ebardos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 01:53 PM   #15
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post

A couple of issues here.

3. She is an atheist.

Norm

But it is the home of Josef Fritzl.
Old 9th November 2012, 01:59 PM   #16
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Does Mhaze's continued absence from this thread count as post election unhinging?
Old 9th November 2012, 02:06 PM   #17
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Alan West still thinks the votes were counted wrong in his race.
Old 9th November 2012, 02:07 PM   #18
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

I found this article disturbing: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1199402

Not surprising, but disturbing. Goes along with Jon Stewart's quip about Romney winning "most of the confederacy" I suppose.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 02:09 PM   #19
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
*sigh*

Currently Reading: The Wahhabi Mission and Saudi Arabia, by David Commins
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 02:27 PM   #20
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Because this thread is called "Post election unhinging" and there seems to be quite a bit of it being retweeted in the link I posted. I'm not sure how retweeting other people's tweets makes it a troll account.
Sorry. Was drunk

Last edited by bit_pattern; 9th November 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 9th November 2012, 02:46 PM   #21
daredelvis
Master Poster

Thank you.

Daredelvis
Old 9th November 2012, 02:57 PM   #22
Garrison
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pulvinar View Post
Bet you're all singing "Tie me teenager down, sport!"
Not in the UK unless you want to be dragged into the 'witch hunt'.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 03:17 PM   #23
Myron Proudfoot
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Halfcentaur View Post
I've heard SNL's Victoria Jackson had a Twitter meltdown about the death of America and being ashamed of America's Christians for letting this happen. I still can't decide if she's a Poe or not.
I think she's more of a "DOH!" than a Poe.
Old 9th November 2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Myron Proudfoot
Graduate Poster

Wow, they're right. I went through every photo and didn't see any non-white folk. Maybe they're some I missed...
Old 9th November 2012, 03:26 PM   #25
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Myron Proudfoot View Post
Wow, they're right. I went through every photo and didn't see any non-white folk. Maybe they're some I missed...
I noticed that too.

A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 04:47 PM   #26
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

I found the "I'm not going to school because I'll never get a job because Obama was elected" funny.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:04 PM   #27
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen a lot of it on my Facebook. Grasping at straws and whatnot.

My one co-worker had to delete her account. She said some pretty angry things and basically said the US is now terrible, and that she wouldn't want her (non-existent by the way) children to serve it. Many of her friends who are in the armed forces and their families took EXTREME offense to this.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 05:41 PM   #28
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
These people don't seem to realize that...

1) Obama's been president for almost 4 years.
2) The sky didn't fall, the world didn't end, and none of the doomsayers' predictions following the '08 election came true.
3) Obama won the popular vote by a few million and will handily win in the electoral college. The majority has spoken, isn't that how it's supposed to work?

All this crying and hand wringing reminds me of the nonsense from some liberal Democrats following Bush's reelection in '04. You don't have to like it, but that's how our system works. The world didn't end after that, just as it won't end now (well unless this Mayan crap comes true ). If they must leave our great nation, I hope they don't let the door hit them in the posterior.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Myron Proudfoot View Post

The large group photo from 1:07pm, just above the word "News" in the title bar at the bottom, looks like a black guy in a blue shirt...checking his phone, or something.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:45 PM   #30
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
These people don't seem to realize that...

1) Obama's been president for almost 4 years.
2) The sky didn't fall, the world didn't end, and none of the doomsayers' predictions following the '08 election came true.
3) Obama won the popular vote by a few million and will handily win in the electoral college. The majority has spoken, isn't that how it's supposed to work?

All this crying and hand wringing reminds me of the nonsense from some liberal Democrats following Bush's reelection in '04. You don't have to like it, but that's how our system works. The world didn't end after that, just as it won't end now (well unless this Mayan crap comes true ). If they must leave our great nation, I hope they don't let the door hit them in the posterior.
You know, I used to hate that virtually every presidential election someone (usually a journalist) would remark on the amazing peaceful transition that is made because of our democracy as if it were still something unique in the world (and all other countries undergo violent revolution with every change of leadership).

But compared to this doomsday stuff (including reports of the demise of the GOP), I guess it's preferable.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:48 PM   #31
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
I found the "I'm not going to school because I'll never get a job because Obama was elected" funny.
I drink Victoria Jackson's sweet salty tears.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:54 PM   #32
Denver
Philosopher

Coal company announces layoffs in response to Obama win

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- A coal company headed by a prominent Mitt Romney donor has laid off more than 160 workers in response to President Obama's election victory.

Murray Energy said Friday that it had been "forced" to make the layoffs in response to the bleak prospects for the coal industry during Obama's second term. In a prayer circulated by the company, CEO Robert Murray said Americans had voted "in favor of redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom."
It would be interesting to know how many of the equivalents of those worker's salaries were donated to the Romney campaign.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:59 PM   #33
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

http://minoritiesmourningromney.tumblr.com
Old 9th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #34
12AX7
Glowing red!

So far for me, the cake is taken with this pathetic Freeper:

Quote:
Today, I instructed my wife to prepare for post Obama election by doing the following:
Much lulz follow.

12AX7 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 06:31 PM   #35
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Got this today:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/07/a-...rage-american/

So much stupid, so much wrong, and so many people still believe it.
My response to the sender was:
Quote:
Is this the story now? These guys are still mad because Obama didn't try to take all their guns.

Last edited by fishbob; 9th November 2012 at 06:33 PM.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 11:53 AM   #36
Spindrift
My little friend is back!

Originally Posted by Elypsis44 View Post
So far for me, the cake is taken with this pathetic Freeper:

Much lulz follow.

I don't think he thought it through too much.

Quote:
3. Destroy and toss all cell phones.

9. Do not use landline telephone only in an emergency.

12. Build a gate at the end of our driveway and keep it locked. Inform all friends and relatives to call first prior to a visit so the gate can be unlocked.
Old 10th November 2012, 12:04 PM   #37
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
I found this article disturbing: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1199402

Not surprising, but disturbing. Goes along with Jon Stewart's quip about Romney winning "most of the confederacy" I suppose.

Did they include the #****WhitePeople (Link obviously NSFW) trend on Twitter? It seems that their parameters for "hate speech" are too narrow.

ETA: Link removed, it was auto-censored and directed to something else.

Last edited by mikedenk; 10th November 2012 at 12:16 PM.
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 12:11 PM   #38
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post
Did they include the #****WhitePeople (Link obviously NSFW) trend on Twitter? It seems that their parameters for "hate speech" are too narrow.
Looked at it, and it seems to be a bunch of, I am guessing about the white part, white people complaining about the hash tag.

Daredelvis
Old 10th November 2012, 12:13 PM   #39
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I don't think he thought it through too much.
Quote:
3. Destroy and toss all cell phones.

9. Do not use landline telephone only in an emergency.

12. Build a gate at the end of our driveway and keep it locked. Inform all friends and relatives to call first prior to a visit so the gate can be unlocked.
The logic is not strong with this one.

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 12:14 PM   #40
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post
Did you actually read those tweets? Or were you just so worked up by your "Oh yeah? Well, non-whites are the real racists!" tu quoque-fail to bother?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics