ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Ian
Thinker

Pat Robertson says God told him who would be the next President

Pat Robertson claims that God told him who would be the next President of the United States, but he's not saying who it will be:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ill-be/250913/

What a neat scam!
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Hecubas
Critical Thinker

I have one word for that: childish.
Hecubas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Quote:
he can't share this information because he's been told not to.
Old 6th January 2012, 03:04 PM   #4
steve s
Illuminator

Predictions are much more accurate when they're made after the fact.

Steve S
Old 6th January 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
The Shrike
Master Poster

Did not "God" once tell Robertson that he (Robertson) would be the next president?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Avery Dashwood
Scholar

This may be the ultimate example of a jealous phenomenon.
Avery Dashwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2012, 03:34 PM   #7
RecoveringYuppy
Illuminator

God pulled that trick on Bachman just a few days ago and someone is failling for it again already?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2012, 03:38 PM   #8
joobz
Tergiversator

God just told me that he likes to screw with Pat Robertson.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2012, 03:44 PM   #9
SOdhner
Muse

God called me up earlier, and told me I would be the next president. I expressed some confusion as I'm a few years too young to be elligible, but I know that everything is possible with God so I thanked him and hung up.

Then my phone rang again, and God once again told me I would be president. I asked why he had called me twice, and he admitted that he had intended to call my neighbor this time. I guess he's been telling a lot of people the same thing.

That's the problem with Gods, they have so much power that they get bored easily.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2012, 05:09 PM   #10
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Pat Robertson claims that God told him who would be the next President of the United States, but he's not saying who it will be:

What a neat scam!
this thread in a nutshell: Robertson is a dumbass
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Well, it's not exactly what he said, but it's more fun to say it that way. Here is the quote, "I think He showed me about the next president, but I'm not supposed to talk about that ". So, he's not outright saying, "God showed me who the next President will be.", but I guess it could easily be paraphrased like that. There's clearly wording that says otherwise too, "I think" and "about" aren't definate by any means.

Quick google...
http://www.newser.com/story/136888/p...president.html

Of course saying something like, 'but I don't think I should talk about it' in front of a TV camera at the same time is exactly a way around anything ether.
That Pat, what'll he say next?

Last edited by Mike!; 6th January 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Goshawk
Graduate Poster

As if you didn't already know this was a lot of hooey...I refute Pat out of his own Bible.

Deuteronomy 18:21-22.

Quote:
You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.

Since Old Testament prophets were well aware that their legitimacy was in question every time they opened their mouth until they had been proven as true prophets by events bearing out their prophecies, they made sure to sound their prophecies loud and clear, so that they could allow history and events to judge whether they were of the Lord or not. This was how you built up a reputation.

A prophet who coyly murmured, "Well, I *think* I might have a message from the Lord" but who refused further details would have been told by the Powers That Be, rudely, to put up or shut up.

Personally I favor the latter in this instance.
Goshawk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2012, 10:32 PM   #13
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

This is the same god who told half a dozen republicans that each was his chosen one and only, then say back to watch the fur fly.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2012, 10:37 PM   #14
SomedayGirl
Muse

God's a playa, yep.
SomedayGirl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Robrob
Philosopher

Pat says he will reveal God's prediction to America on November 7, 2012.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 12:42 AM   #16
TheGoldcountry
Graduate Poster

You really have to see the clip to get the full effect. Pat acts like he and God are poker buddies, and they just had a good laugh over the whole thing. How do I get invited?

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 12:44 AM   #17
TheGoldcountry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
This is the same god who told half a dozen republicans that each was his chosen one and only, then say back to watch the fur fly.
I'm starting to believe in God, because I just love watching that vaudeville show.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 02:23 AM   #18
Squid
Thinker

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Did not "God" once tell Robertson that he (Robertson) would be the next president?
Yep, in 1984. I remember him saying vividly... "God WILL put me in the WHITE HOUSE!" No "I think," or "maybe," it was "WILL".

It says a lot about your religion and your character when you make such a statement and it doesn't come true.
Squid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 02:42 AM   #19
BobHaulk
Muse

It always amazes me that God has time to care what happens in America. The universe is quite big and looks like a fair amount of work, even for a god. The internal governance of a fictional nation secured with force and fences on the earth that he created as one surely wouldn't be of much concern. Never mind why god would choose a lunatic like robertson to be a confidant.
BobHaulk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 05:30 AM   #20
SomedayGirl
Muse

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.

--Susan B. Anthony
SomedayGirl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 06:30 AM   #21
Brattus
Graduate Poster

I know who will be the next President of the United States. I can also talk about it.

It will be the dumbass do nothing blowhard that tells us all what to fear and who's to blame for it.
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 06:34 AM   #22
Lamuella
Master Poster

What a neat scam!
Great. I expect he's written what God told him on a sheet of paper, sealed it in an envelope, and deposited this envelope with a trusted third party, to be opened the day after the election so everyone can wonder at his predictive abilities, correct?
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 07:02 AM   #23
AvalonXQ

Originally Posted by Lamuella View Post
Great. I expect he's written what God told him on a sheet of paper, sealed it in an envelope, and deposited this envelope with a trusted third party, to be opened the day after the election so everyone can wonder at his predictive abilities, correct?
He's done better than that -- he's done this several times, each with a different trusted third party! But to emphasize the importance of faith, only one of the envelopes will be opened.
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 09:04 AM   #24
Goshawk
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Yep, in 1984. I remember him saying vividly... "God WILL put me in the WHITE HOUSE!" No "I think," or "maybe," it was "WILL".
It was actually in the context of the 1988 election, I believe, although he announced his candidacy in 1986.

There's a fascinating collection of his predictions here.
http://mediamatters.org/research/200501040010
Goshawk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 09:42 AM   #25
Anerystos
Muse

Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
It was actually in the context of the 1988 election, I believe, although he announced his candidacy in 1986.

There's a fascinating collection of his predictions here.
http://mediamatters.org/research/200501040010

Yee gods!

Can I recommend Robin Hardy's "Cowboys for Christ", which sends up this whole thing very well.

Hardy was the Director of "The Wicker Man" - which will give you some idea of it!

Last edited by Anerystos; 11th January 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Anerystos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2012, 11:17 PM   #26
philkensebben
Graduate Poster

Pat simply hasnt been hearing God correctly. Thats all. No need to be all nasty to him.
Pat, if your reading this, please ask God to speak up a tad
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 08:37 AM   #27
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Will Pat have the integrity to come forward and honestly admit that the message--supposedly from the Almighty directly to Pat--was inaccurate??

To ask the question is almost to answer it.

Old Pat quoted the Omniscient and Omnipotent Creator of the Universe as saying the following:
Quote:
Your President [Obama] holds a radical view of the direction of your country which is at odds with the majority.
Damn me for being a cynic, but it looks to me like we have tangible evidence that this supposed message was NOT from any Omniscient and Omnipotent being, but rather appears to have originated from the warped imagination of Pat Robertson.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice

Last edited by Brown; 9th November 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 08:45 AM   #28
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Course it's the perfect moment to post this:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 09:19 AM   #29
P.J. Denyer
Graduate Poster

God told me that Pat Robinson would talk rubbish and attribute it to Him but I wasn't to tell anyone until after Obama had been re-elected. Genuine prophesy
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:34 AM   #30
paiute
Graduate Poster

"...so do not be alarmed...."

That pretty much sums up my reaction to anything Preacher Robertson says.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:39 AM   #31
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Will Pat have the integrity to come forward and honestly admit that the message--supposedly from the Almighty directly to Pat--was inaccurate??

To ask the question is almost to answer it.

Old Pat quoted the Omniscient and Omnipotent Creator of the Universe as saying the following:
Quote:
Your President [Obama] holds a radical view of the direction of your country which is at odds with the majority.
Damn me for being a cynic, but it looks to me like we have tangible evidence that this supposed message was NOT from any Omniscient and Omnipotent being, but rather appears to have originated from the warped imagination of Pat Robertson.
I don't know if he's wrong or not. Had he said, "VOTING majority", then he'd be clearly wrong, but since it's just an undefined "majority", there is no clear cut answer.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:10 AM   #32
Ian
Thinker

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
God told me that Pat Robinson would talk rubbish and attribute it to Him but I wasn't to tell anyone until after Obama had been re-elected. Genuine prophesy
Don't hold your breath while waiting for the million dollar prize.
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 02:44 AM   #33
P.J. Denyer
Graduate Poster

Don't hold your breath while waiting for the million dollar prize.

Damn, guess I'd better carry on pretending to work.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 05:35 AM   #34
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

There is a picture circulating around (called Christian douchebag) that shows Kirk Cameron wearing that jersey shore douchebag hat that says something to the effect of: "Says god will decide the election, then gets mad when god picks the wrong one."

I thought that was appropriate. (I'd post a picture here, but when I google douchebag christian, I get too many hits that aren't the picture I am talking about...)
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal