ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th November 2012, 04:03 PM   #481
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
Johan de Witt was lynched by an organized mob after visiting his brother Cornelis in prison.
Other parts of their bodies were eaten by the mob (or taken elsewhere, cooked and then eaten). This means people from Holland are worst than Dracula!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_d...#Mathematician
And you infer this from one (double) murder? I agree the murder of the brothers De Witt was outrageously horrific, but I can't even think of a handful other political murders since the founding of an independent Dutch state. Fortuyn. Oldenbarneveldt if you will. That's all. Vlad Dracul, on the other hand, has been estimated to have made over 10,000 victims.

Anyway, you apparently don't dispute Johan de Witt's contributions to mathematics and actuarial science.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:14 PM   #482
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Johan de Witt was lynched by an organized mob after visiting his brother Cornelis in prison.
Other parts of their bodies were eaten by the mob (or taken elsewhere, cooked and then eaten). This means people from Holland are worst than Dracula!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_d...#Mathematician
Some people from Transylvania are worse than Dracula too! What about the murderous Elizabeth Bathory, slaughterer of hundreds of young girls? From wiki
Quote:
... Her father was George Báthory of the Ecsed branch of the family, brother of Andrew Bonaventura Báthory, who had been Voivod of Transylvania, while her mother was Anna Báthory (1539–1570), daughter of Stephen Báthory of Somlyó, another Voivod of Transylvania, was of the Somlyó branch. Through her mother, Elizabeth was the cousin of the Hungarian noble Stefan Báthory, King of Poland and Duke of Transylvania ... Erzsbet was raised on Ecsed, an estate in Transylvania. As a young woman she learned Latin, German and Greek ... When she was 11, her cousin Stephen became prince of Transylvania, and he planned to unite Europe against the Turks. Yet battles on several fronts exhausted his resources. Stephen was known for his savagery ...
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2012, 11:01 AM   #483
alfa1
Banned

Erzsébeth Báthory was born on a family estate in Nyírbátor, Hungary in 1560 or 1561, and spent her childhood at Ecsed Castle in Hungary.

The comparisons with Vlad III the Impaler of Wallachia, on whom the fictional Count Dracula is partly based, and to modern nicknames of the Blood Countess and Countess Dracula.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_B%C3%A1thory

So You are Wrong:
Dracula was the Impaler of Wallachia, NOT TRANSYLVANIA.
Countess Dracula, Erzsébeth Báthory was born on a family estate in Nyírbátor, Hungary; NOT TRANSYLVANIA
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2012, 11:25 AM   #484
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Erzsébeth Báthory was born on a family estate in Nyírbátor, Hungary; NOT TRANSYLVANIA
Read my post again, and tell me where I said she was born in Transylvania.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2012, 12:00 PM   #485
NightStar76
Thinker

Actually, Alfa1 is right. For once. The Bathory family may have had strong political roots in Transylvania, but they were not Transylvanian. They considered themselves Hungarian, held themselves apart from the (still, at the time, primarily) Romanian population, and generally used it as a base for campaigns against the Hungarian monarchy in the west of the country. On the other hand, that means that Transylvania played a crucial role in the total collapse of the Hungarian state in the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries, which led to the Ottoman Conquest, which led to the Austro-Turkish wars, which eventually led to about 300 years of total suppression of both Transylvanian and Hungarian nationhood, independence and suppression under the Austrian government, which led to the Hungarian revolution, which led to the Hungarian suppression of all other cultures and ethnicity in their half of the empire, which led to the Serbian revolt, which...

ZOMG TRANSYLVANIA CAUSED WORLD WAR 1.
NightStar76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:05 AM   #486
alfa1
Banned

Yes, Alfa1 is right.
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 02:13 PM   #487
dafydd
Banned

There's a first time for everything.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:32 PM   #488
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NightStar76 View Post
Actually, Alfa1 is right. For once. The Bathory family may have had strong political roots in Transylvania, but they were not Transylvanian. They considered themselves Hungarian, held themselves apart from the (still, at the time, primarily) Romanian population, and generally used it as a base for campaigns against the Hungarian monarchy in the west of the country. On the other hand, that means that Transylvania played a crucial role in the total collapse of the Hungarian state in the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries, which led to the Ottoman Conquest, which led to the Austro-Turkish wars, which eventually led to about 300 years of total suppression of both Transylvanian and Hungarian nationhood, independence and suppression under the Austrian government, which led to the Hungarian revolution, which led to the Hungarian suppression of all other cultures and ethnicity in their half of the empire, which led to the Serbian revolt, which...

ZOMG TRANSYLVANIA CAUSED WORLD WAR 1.
They weren't Transylvanian in nationality because there is no Transylvanian nationality and there never has been. Transylvania is a region of the Balkans, nothing more.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 05:04 PM   #489
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
They weren't Transylvanian in nationality because there is no Transylvanian nationality and there never has been. Transylvania is a region of the Balkans, nothing more.
Wow, so the place really exists? I thought that Bram Stoker invented it.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 05:54 PM   #490
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Deutschland, ein geographischer Begriff (Germany is a geographical expression) - Fürst Metternich, 1849.
and Comrade Stalin, 1945

Last edited by ddt; 11th November 2012 at 05:56 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:09 PM   #491
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Deutschland, ein geographischer Begriff (Germany is a geographical expression) - Fürst Metternich, 1849.
and Comrade Stalin, 1945
Are you sure? Here he is three years earlier:
Quote:
Hitlers come and go, but Germany and the German people remain.
"The Order #55 of the National Commissar for the Defense" (23 February 1942)
Old 11th November 2012, 06:44 PM   #492
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Are you sure? Here he is three years earlier:"The Order #55 of the National Commissar for the Defense" (23 February 1942)
At Potsdam. On authority of Der Spiegel:
Quote:
Stalin: "Deutschland ist, wie wir sagten. ein geographischer Begriff. Wollen wir es zunächst so verstehen. Wir können uns den Ergebnissen des Krieges nicht verschließen."
Comrade Stalin's point in that discussion was to exclude those areas occupied in the East by Poland and the USSR which they intended to keep.
Old 11th November 2012, 07:35 PM   #493
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

At Potsdam. On authority of Der Spiegel:
Comrade Stalin's point in that discussion was to exclude those areas occupied in the East by Poland and the USSR which they intended to keep.
So Comrade Stalin contradicted himself. That's the dialectic in action before our very eyes! Thesis, antithesis ...
Old 11th November 2012, 07:45 PM   #494
ddt
Mafia Penguin

So Comrade Stalin contradicted himself. That's the dialectic in action before our very eyes! Thesis, antithesis ...
... and synthesis (1989). Yes, you got Hegel pat down well.
Old 13th November 2012, 09:59 AM   #495
alfa1
Banned

The professor Neagu Djuvara said 2 days ago: to say to a Romanian is a Tief is a compliment!
Romania is the European Union’s most corrupt country.
Romania was very poor; Transylvania was inside the Austrian Empire. Romania came 71st in the group’s list of 180 countries and was seen as more corrupt than Bulgaria, Macedonia and Greece as well as Namibia, ranked 56th, Cape Verde, ranked 46th and Botswana ranked 37th.
http://www.romaniantimes.at/news/Gen..._country_in_EU

http://livenews.rtv.net/interviu-cu-...a-i_10125.html
Old 13th November 2012, 10:13 AM   #496
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

The professor Neagu Djuvara said 2 days ago: to say to a Romanian is a Tief is a compliment!
Does the esteemed professor still reside in Romania, or did he emigrate to some other country before making that statement?
Old 13th November 2012, 01:53 PM   #497
alfa1
Banned

I calculated 98% are at animal level, they like stealing in any country.
Another proof for my Evolution theory!

The old professor was on RTV last week.
Old 13th November 2012, 02:39 PM   #498
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Can i see the workings of your calculation, please? Are the other 2% at the vegetable level?
Old 13th November 2012, 07:20 PM   #499
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Actually, nothing remotely related to reality is a proof of any theory you've ever had. It's is all a load of crap anyway:

1) There is no Transylvanian nationality. The region is split between Hungarians and Romanians.

2) There is no Transylvanian nationalist movement. It's all Alfalfa.

3) This thread keeps on going because we find you, Alfa1 and your ideas mildly entertaining and wonderfully absurd.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:02 AM   #500
alfa1
Banned

I am the only one in Transylvania who can unite the Hungarians and the Romanians!
Old 27th November 2012, 08:09 AM   #501
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

No you're not. You haven't shown any evidence of that claim.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:27 AM   #502
dafydd
Banned

I am the only one in Transylvania who can unite the Hungarians and the Romanians!
I'm the only one who can do that.
Old 27th November 2012, 09:35 AM   #503
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
I bet I could do it as well!
Old 27th November 2012, 09:52 AM   #504
dafydd
Banned

I bet I could do it as well!
Let's all do it together! Ready, one, two, three......
Old 27th November 2012, 12:51 PM   #505
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Let's all do it together! Ready, one, two, three......
Can I join in as well. Whom are we going to portray as their common enemy to help them unite?
Old 27th November 2012, 01:08 PM   #506
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Too late. I have already received the sword from some woman in a lake. Only I can unite and refound the realm.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:44 PM   #507
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Last night I received a visitation from St Marshmallow, patron saint of Transylvania. He said unto me that I was to be the new khan of all Transylvania, and build an empire of blood and steel. Remington Steele, no less. With the aid of my associate, Ms Holt, I will endeavor to attempt trying this. To such end, please send me all of the money.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:41 PM   #508
alfa1
Banned

I need one F-22 Raptor to free Transylvania!

http://jurnalul.ro/stiri/observator/...or-630056.html
Old 27th November 2012, 04:46 PM   #509
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And I need one velociraptor to enslave it! I will grind Transylvania beneath a reign of dinosaur terror!!
Old 27th November 2012, 06:32 PM   #510
dafydd
Banned

Can I join in as well. Whom are we going to portray as their common enemy to help them unite?
Smurfs.
Old 27th November 2012, 06:33 PM   #511
dafydd
Banned

I need one F-22 Raptor to free Transylvania!

http://jurnalul.ro/stiri/observator/...or-630056.html
I have one for sale.
Old 29th November 2012, 01:27 PM   #512
alfa1
Banned

Hitler had less generals than Romania in 2012
Old 30th November 2012, 04:19 AM   #513
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Hitler had no generals in 2012.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 06:02 AM   #514
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by wollery View Post

I know it's commonly believed that he only had one ball, but I never heard he had no genitals......

What? Gen - errrr - als.... ? Oh, never mind, then.

Back to the thread, eh? I am Vladicus!

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 30th November 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 01:49 PM   #515
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

You may all be generals in my glorious Neo Transylvanian Army! Swear fealty to me and I will lead us into a magnificent future full of emeralds and asparagus! Cake for everybody! Forty bakers and a mule! Nine, ten, a big fat hen! Bonsai!
Old 30th November 2012, 01:56 PM   #516
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

No! Sign up as a pasha for the Neo Ottoman Empire and you shall all have Turkish delight and sweet thick coffee in those gorgeous little porcelain cups.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:44 PM   #517
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
I didn't know that Hitler slept with generals.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:45 PM   #518
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
No! Sign up as a pasha for the Neo Ottoman Empire and you shall all have Turkish delight and sweet thick coffee in those gorgeous little porcelain cups.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:43 PM   #519
alfa1
Banned

“The time among ignorants, was the lost time of my life” Adrian Ferent
Old 21st December 2012, 01:57 PM   #520
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Princess Peppermint is buried in Transylvania. After she was slain by the Cavity Creeps, her loyal attendant angels bore her body there, and placed it in a marble sepulchre high atop Mount Popeye. Even today, superstitious villagers pray at her shrine to receive the blessing of Princess Peppermint. She is a national hero and a treasure to all, not the least her beloved Prince Butterscotch.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts