ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 9th November 2012, 03:55 PM   #1121
Jerrymander
Scholar

Did anybody read the North American Great Ape blog's explanation?

The mental gymnastics and special pleading is amazing.

Quote:
The odds of getting a good photo of a sasquatch are stacked against researchers for a number of reasons: There are vast amounts of untamed wilderness in North America. If bigfoots do exist, they have a huge amount of land to occupy. In all of this wilderness finding one of these animals would be beyond difficult. If one was immensely lucky and did find a bigfoot they'd better hope they have a camera with them. They'd also have to have the camera at the ready, be able to focus it, and snap a photo of the animal. (When I say "focus it" I mean manually focus the camera. Auto-focusing is next to useless in dense foliage. I'll touch more on this in the next post.) Considering the difficulty of photographing in forests presented above, the odds of the photo being clear and concise are low. Very low. Also worth considering is the alleged nature of sasquatches. Researchers claim the cryptids tends to avoid humans. This would only further increase the difficulty of getting a good shot of the animal.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 04:48 PM   #1122
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Roger didn't have any trouble finding one or focusing on it...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 05:18 PM   #1123
Vortigern99
Philosopher

The odds of getting a good photo of a [bear, deer, rattlesnake, wolverine or mountain lion] are stacked against researchers for a number of reasons: There are vast amounts of untamed wilderness in North America. If [bears, deer, rattlesnakes, wolverines or mountain lions] do exist, they have a huge amount of land to occupy. In all of this wilderness finding one of these animals would be beyond difficult. If one was immensely lucky and did find a [bear, deer, rattlesnake, wolverine or mountain lion] they'd better hope they have a camera with them. They'd also have to have the camera at the ready, be able to focus it, and snap a photo of the animal. (When I say "focus it" I mean manually focus the camera. Auto-focusing is next to useless in dense foliage. I'll touch more on this in the next post.) Considering the difficulty of photographing in forests presented above, the odds of the photo being clear and concise are low. Very low. Also worth considering is the alleged nature of [bears, deer, rattlesnakes, wolverines or mountain lions] . Researchers claim the [animal] tends to avoid humans. This would only further increase the difficulty of getting a good shot of the animal.
And yet...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:21 PM   #1124
Sonny2
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Roger didn't have any trouble finding one or focusing on it...
Roger that. It always amazes me that the Footers don't see any contradictions with Patty and their convictions that Bigfoot can't be filmed by gamecam or whatever.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:50 PM   #1125
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
Roger that. It always amazes me that the Footers don't see any contradictions with Patty and their convictions that Bigfoot can't be filmed by gamecam or whatever.
Most just choose to ignore it with hopes of a better picture someday in the future, the promise made by the so called leaders of the BF charge keep the flock in line with promises and bogus research info.
There are certainly many folks that have given up cause of the lack of a picture and understand why the blurry tactic is used, that's why we are here
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:24 PM   #1126
The Shrike
Master Poster

1) I really suck at photography and can barely manage my point-and-shoot Fuji finepix. Other than whatever factory pre-sets are on it, I keep the dial pointed to the "so it doesn't shake all over when I'm taking pictures" setting. I had the thing for 3 years before I figured out what "macro" did.

2) My ineptitude notwithstanding, by taking the radical steps of having a camera with me and pointing it at stuff I'd like to photograph, I have managed to take dozens of decent (and some quite good) photos of songbirds in the wild. Yes that's right: Using autofocus in a dense, forested environment, I manage to take photographs of creatures that are way faster than any bigfoot and often smaller than the leaves they're hiding behind. There's nothing magical about it. It's called "trying."
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:26 PM   #1127
Jodie
Master Poster

It's called something actually being there to photograph in the first place.

Last edited by Jodie; 11th November 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:54 PM   #1128
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a limited selection of photographic equipment one could use for fast picture taking, add the cost factor to that and i can see why one might not be able to get pictures of an elusive animal.

Fast forward to 2012 ~ We have some mind blowing gadgets that just do it all themselves, even a regular joe like me can snap a dozen good pictures or video in a second with my phone or one of several electronics i own, the excuses for a good picture are gone, this so called animal is known and hunted with the best of equipment, the time has long gone by to put the BF myth to rest.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:05 PM   #1129
Sonny2
Muse

But...but...what if there really is some reason they can't be photographed (channelling Sweaty Yeti)...
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:21 PM   #1130
StankApe
Banned

Sweaty Yeti has to be a Poe right? either that or he's got to be typing from somewhere "upstate"
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 12:54 PM   #1131
Beaver Hateman
Thinker

Modern electronics give out some sort of weird emissions that the Bigfoots can sense whereas the largely mechanical camera that Patterson used was not visible to this super Bigfoot perception.

There you go. The believers can have that one; I'm sure someone can expand on it.
Beaver Hateman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 01:42 PM   #1132
Drewbot
Illuminator

Someone emailed this to me.
Supposedly they took this in Southfield Michigan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 02:21 PM   #1133
The Shrike
Master Poster

That bigfoot must be possessed - clearly it's levitating!
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 02:25 PM   #1134
Drewbot
Illuminator

Bigfoot does not simply obey the laws of gravity...
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 02:28 PM   #1135
StankApe
Banned

seems legit
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 03:11 PM   #1136
Jodie
Master Poster

I bet that would tear up a car if you hit it.
Old 12th November 2012, 03:16 PM   #1137
StankApe
Banned

my favorite thing about this pic is that not only is the worst photoshop job in footer history, the subject is a composite of a gorilla bottom half and a man in a suit top half.

it's silly.

once on the BFF, I was PM'da picture by a guy who said he thought it was bigfoot, when I pointed out that it was obviously a man in a suit ,and then sent him a link to the obvious halloween costume type suit, he got really mad at me and threatened to report me to the mods for abuse!

people are crazy yo
Old 12th November 2012, 03:20 PM   #1138
Jodie
Master Poster

Was it someone who was supposed to know better?
Old 12th November 2012, 03:42 PM   #1139
StankApe
Banned

I don't remember the name, so it may have been one of the people who would pop in with their "evidence" refuse to post it on the board so as not to "be attacked by scofftics" but sent it via PM to a few of us.

I think RRS may have had it sent to him too.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:24 PM   #1140
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I remember the picture and have seen it on Google images, I don't remember who sent it to me.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:41 PM   #1141
Drewbot
Illuminator

It is from the iPhone app. Derf.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:45 PM   #1142
Sonny2
Muse

Hows come photos like this were never taken before the days of PhotoShop and the likes? Was there some kind of mutual evolution of BF along with human technology?
Old 12th November 2012, 09:49 PM   #1143
Jerrymander
Scholar

The BFRO's excuse is that bigfoot is nomadic and his movements are unpredicate and thats why he didn't get photos or a speciman
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 06:02 AM   #1144
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
But now we know why sasquatch is never hit by a car...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 06:56 AM   #1145
Drewbot
Illuminator

I specifically sized it so it would be well within the claims of Bigfooters. It is not 14 feet tall, it is 11 or 12 feet tall, and weighs approx. 700 lbs. This is not an outlier claim from Bigfoot sightings. Now look at how frikken huge this thing is, and it is not even at the top range of Bigfoot size estimates. There is a population of creatures this big, out in the US woods? Showing up in semi-rural parking lots and trailer communities? WTF people?
Old 14th November 2012, 05:53 PM   #1146
Jodie
Master Poster

LOLOL.......I know, there is no way you could hit something that big and not have massive damage to your vehicle and seriously injuring the occupants. The most you hear about though, is a slightly dented bumper where bigfoot bounced off, and ran away into the woods......
Old 14th November 2012, 07:04 PM   #1147
Sonny2
Muse

LOLOL.......there is no way you could hit something that big and not have massive damage to your vehicle and seriously injuring the occupants......
Well, of course you can, if it isn't real. But you know that...
Old 14th November 2012, 07:12 PM   #1148
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Bumbles Bounce ~ Why not Bigfoot.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:18 PM   #1149
Sonny2
Muse

Wasn't there a thread similar to this over on the BFF? If I recall, it went on for some time, maybe still is going...I remember being a bit surprised.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:36 PM   #1150
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I am sure one of the BFF forums 1,2,3,4 ( what are they up to now ? ) had a similar conversion at one time or another, after all when ya talk about BF, how much is there to really talk about.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:46 PM   #1151
StankApe
Banned

I dare one of the present day members that post here, to go start this thread on the BFF:

So do you think Bigfoot is Team Jacob or Team Edward?
Old 15th November 2012, 05:01 PM   #1152
Sonny2
Muse

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
I dare one of the present day members that post here, to go start this thread on the BFF:

For those of us out of the competitive team loop, please explain...(here's your chance to trump me back, SA).
Old 15th November 2012, 05:10 PM   #1153
StankApe
Banned

Twilight (the sparkly vampire movie)

among the tweener followers of this stuff there is apparently a divide among those who like the werewolf (Team Jacob) and the vampire (Team Edward)

I know this because a fully grown female friend of mine loves that stuff to death........sigh
Old 15th November 2012, 05:13 PM   #1154
Sonny2
Muse

OK, now that I understand the somewhat cryptic (sorry) reference, I go for Team Jacob becuz of all the hair. If I were still a member of BFF, I would start that thread, and I bet a lot more of them would get the reference better than I did (which was not at all). Make of that what you will.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #1155
StankApe
Banned

when I first heard a burger king (or wtvr) commercial for "choose team jacob or team edward" I had to ask to find out wtf it meant too!
Old 15th November 2012, 06:45 PM   #1156
Sonny2
Muse

I've noticed that werewolves are back in the news with sightings, and I wonder if the Twilight stuff and all the other weird books lately are behind that.
Old 16th November 2012, 06:57 PM   #1157
Jodie
Master Poster

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post

LOLOLOL....bwahahaha....Team Jacob all the way! Bigfoot is hairy and so is Jacob whereas Edward might see bigfoot as a good substitute for human blood. TW will be all over it.
Old 16th November 2012, 06:59 PM   #1158
Jodie
Master Poster

I've noticed that werewolves are back in the news with sightings, and I wonder if the Twilight stuff and all the other weird books lately are behind that.
No doubt, according to my proponent sources on facebook, once the DNA study results are published Dogman is the next up and coming cryptid.
Old 16th November 2012, 07:03 PM   #1159
Sonny2
Muse

I've got a couple of those here in my living room right now. They look like dogs but act like men, getting into the food w/o asking, refusing to clean up after themselves, muddy feet, bringing sticks into the house, wanting to play ball all the time... (j/k)
Old 16th November 2012, 07:08 PM   #1160
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Well if the Dog Man makes a reappearance in the Crypto world, I just hope he is all Dog Man and not one of those mixed up types that wants to changed into something else.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal