ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 11th November 2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Sonny2
Muse

Does the BFRO (and other BF researchers) talk people into seeing Bigfoot?

So say, you had something unusual happen, say you heard a noise you couldn't ID out in the woods. You mention it to a friend, who says, dude, maybe it was a Bigfoot, you should contact the BFRO (or whatever Bigfoot org. is handiest). So you do, and they ask you all kinds of leading Qs until you start to feel really special, like you're one of the witnesses or whatevr they call them, that's it, the KNOWERS. You are now a KNOWER and think maybe that's really what it was. You now feel very special.

How else could you account for so many supposed sightings? I actually don't think they're all from hoaxers, and that was the most compelling thing to me about this, was trying to get a handle on why so many people saw these things and would swear so on a Bible.

There's probably a name for this in forensic psychology (leading the witness), but could it possibly help account for the seemingly sincere people who "see" these things?
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:27 PM   #2
The Shrike
Master Poster

I used to think this was a big part of it. These days I'm more inclined to think that there are simply lots and lots of people completely making things up.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:33 PM   #3
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Sincere people believe they had seen a BF and will swear by it cause that's what their brain said to them under the circumstances they were in, so many heart warming stories about personal encounters and life changing sightings for us to question and with good reason, I think they need help.

Thing is that in the entire history of recorded man, there has never been a verified record of any Bigfoot in any of the supposed country's they live in.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Ace!
Scholar

I think it's part of it. I think people tend to want an explanation and when one is offered they want to accept it. I think most people would rather have an explanation than an unknown. Sometimes the explanation offered is outside the mainstream, but there are plenty of reasons to want it to be (feel special as you said), and sometimes it just feels more warm and fuzzy than having an unknown.
Ace! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:05 PM   #5
River
Illuminator

The BFRO success record speaks for itself. So does their claimed bigfoot evidence. They try to con people into believing normal animal sign, or trail cam photos that are at an odd angle of an ill animal are bigfoot. Coyotes are bigfoot too. Were you guys aware of this?

The BFRO sells the illusion of bigfoot a camping trip at a time, and now on the television. Of course they are duping people into believing things are bigfoot. Watch MM on finding bigfoot. It is THAT ridiculous. They have more of a chance at finding a teapot that orbits the Sun somewhere in space between Earth and Mars than finding bigfoot. Yes you can quote me on that.

Last edited by River; 11th November 2012 at 09:06 PM.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Sonny2
Muse

I find it ironic that the BFRO webpage has a header saying "Time to outlaw the biz of media hoaxes" - ROTFLMAO
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:32 PM   #7
MrBooglemaumau
Critical Thinker

C'mon folks..all they have to do is show us the real monkey , and they'll be rich beyond their wildest dreams.....The amount that's been offered is staggering !!!!!I know they'll NEVER find one. You may quote me on that...!
MrBooglemaumau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Sonny2
Muse

I think they may find a body - a dead human body.
Old 11th November 2012, 10:30 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
So say, you had something unusual happen, say you heard a noise you couldn't ID out in the woods. You mention it to a friend, who says, dude, maybe it was a Bigfoot, you should contact the BFRO (or whatever Bigfoot org. is handiest). So you do, and they ask you all kinds of leading Qs until you start to feel really special, like you're one of the witnesses or whatevr they call them, that's it, the KNOWERS. You are now a KNOWER and think maybe that's really what it was. You now feel very special.

How else could you account for so many supposed sightings? I actually don't think they're all from hoaxers, and that was the most compelling thing to me about this, was trying to get a handle on why so many people saw these things and would swear so on a Bible.

There's probably a name for this in forensic psychology (leading the witness), but could it possibly help account for the seemingly sincere people who "see" these things?
It is a huge step to contact a Bigfoot research organization because of something that happened to you in the woods. You don't do it because your buddy said that maybe you encountered a Bigfoot. No, you contact the BFRO because you already believe in Bigfoot and want to add to their sighting database... or you just want to pull a hoax. Actually, pulling a Bigfoot hoax is now a legitimate American tradition.

Do you know how I would hoax a Bigfoot sighting? I'd start out by saying that I don't know what I saw, then go on to describe a Bigfoot. Keep saying that you have no idea what you saw (but insist that it was a hairy giant walking ape). The cherry on top is to say "But those things don't really exist." Then they right away say "Oh yes they do and you just saw one."

Hoaxers never have to do more than half of the work needed to pull off a hoax. The believers do all the heavy lifting.

But to your original question... No. The BFRO doesn't talk people into seeing Bigfoot. The people use the BFRO as a way of saying that they did see a Bigfoot.
Old 11th November 2012, 10:34 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

People want to tell lies about seeing Bigfoot and make Bigfoot hoaxes with fake evidence. They need some public venue to showcase their lie. The BFRO serves this purpose. It is your agent to get your Bigfoot lie out to the public.

The BFRO list of sighting reports is a trophy wall for liars.
Old 12th November 2012, 12:30 AM   #11
StankApe
Banned

I know the BFF helps convince people to "see" Bigfoot. A former poster there who was always desperately trying to fit in and be part of the gang was very downtrodden that she had never had a sighting. Then POW!!!, she conveniently has a sighting while riding in the car with her hubby!!!

many eyes were rolled among the skeptics and many of the bleevers, yet a good 50% of the forum coddled her in a warm blanket of "one of us, one of us".

Seriously, this "elusive" creature magically appears to the one person who stated every single day how much she would love to see one? PUHHHLEAZE.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 02:27 AM   #12
manofthesea
2wu4u

swear so on a Bible.
And this would amount to what exactly?

I watched Hunting Bigfoot for the first time this weekend. Great show. People actually getting off their asses and looking for the answer to innumerous sightings of apemen (relict hominids). I didn't see one witness proclaiming their adherence to the bible. Just regular people who spend time outdoors and happened to witness a hominid species which just happens to disprove YEC.

[Begin righteous indignance]
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 02:53 AM   #13
StankApe
Banned

They aren't looking for anything, they are hoaxing . Their show is for entertainment purpoes only, the last thing ANY of the top footers want is for bigfoot to be discovered. But since they have made it all up, there is little for them to fear.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 07:05 AM   #14
Jodie
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I used to think this was a big part of it. These days I'm more inclined to think that there are simply lots and lots of people completely making things up.
Ditto on that one.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:22 AM   #15
Sonny2
Muse

I had a friend who had the thing I describe happen, and that's where the thought came from originally for this thread. He thought he saw something big and black in the woods, but figured it was a bear. Didn't get a real good look. So, a friend of his, upon hearing about it, recommended my friend contact the BFRO. My friend really didn't even give BF much thought, but, after talking to the BFRO, he became convinced he'd seen a BF.

I'm sure plenty of hoaxers call the BFRO, but in his case, he was led inot thinking he'd seen a BF. He said they asked him lots of Qs and then pretty much told him he was crazy to not believe he'd seen one - he was lucky. LOL
Old 12th November 2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Jodie
Master Poster

You would think they would have put that in their own "maybe" file and then told him they didn't know what he saw.....that just says it all.
Old 12th November 2012, 01:30 PM   #17
George152
Master Poster

Noises in the night are proof only that your ears are working
Old 12th November 2012, 02:30 PM   #18
p0lka
Student

If you want to join a group to feel special, then you have to sign up to what the group believes in,

the imagination takes it from there.....
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Jodie
Master Poster

And that is why there are no professional bigfoot field investigators, for lack of a better term.
Old 13th November 2012, 12:27 AM   #20
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
They need some public venue to showcase their lie. The BFRO serves this purpose. It is your agent to get your Bigfoot lie out to the public.
I think we're seeing this in a similar way. There is a symbiosis at work here where BFRO attains "legitimacy" by having a large data base of "Sightings" and the liars in turn have an agent that markets their claim.

What would be a fun experiment is having a group of us set out with an entirely new animal to claim sightings for. It needs to fly, and not be real large, but have something unique that is good for marketing, like a hominid head or whatever, and it needs to be discovered around nuclear power plants or chemical dumps where a DNA mutation story can be weaved.

You can start with a known core of hoaxers, an editor of a paper that will play along with publicizing some initial story, and then come in with a "research" organization that is also fake. You have everything you need then for it to take off with others making up sightings.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 12:47 AM   #21
Night Walker
Thinker

People want to tell lies about seeing Bigfoot and make Bigfoot hoaxes with fake evidence. They need some public venue to showcase their lie. The BFRO serves this purpose. It is your agent to get your Bigfoot lie out to the public.

The BFRO list of sighting reports is a trophy wall for liars.
Ok, I take issue with terms like “liar” and “lie” when referring to Bigfooters/witnesses and what they do on the grounds that such terms are 1) needlessly provocative and 2) largely inaccurate.

Consider your previous post:
It is a huge step to contact a Bigfoot research organization because of something that happened to you in the woods. You don't do it because your buddy said that maybe you encountered a Bigfoot. No, you contact the BFRO because you already believe in Bigfoot and want to add to their sighting database... or you just want to pull a hoax. Actually, pulling a Bigfoot hoax is now a legitimate American tradition.

Do you know how I would hoax a Bigfoot sighting? I'd start out by saying that I don't know what I saw, then go on to describe a Bigfoot. Keep saying that you have no idea what you saw (but insist that it was a hairy giant walking ape). The cherry on top is to say "But those things don't really exist." Then they right away say "Oh yes they do and you just saw one."

Hoaxers never have to do more than half of the work needed to pull off a hoax. The believers do all the heavy lifting.

But to your original question... No. The BFRO doesn't talk people into seeing Bigfoot. The people use the BFRO as a way of saying that they did see a Bigfoot.
You are describing something very different to liars and lying. Bigfooters/witnesses, then, are storytellers telling living stories. Hoaxing is just part of the props of bush-theatre. It’s traditional. It’s social. Quite literally it is folklore-in-action.

Essentially, it is not dishonest and negative – it is a creative and positive experience, a very human experience.

We’re all here drawn like moths to the flame by the Bigfoot phenomenon. Same as the believers. Let us aim for scepticism rather than cynicism…
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 02:13 PM   #22
StankApe
Banned

so you are saying that not one single BFRO report is a lie? a manufactured story created for the sole purpose of feeling important ?
Old 13th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Night Walker
Thinker

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
so you are saying that not one single BFRO report is a lie? a manufactured story created for the sole purpose of feeling important ?
No. I am saying that dishonesty and negativity are not what drives the Bigfoot phenomenon so it is no good to tar all with the same brush.

Bigfoot is a great story but stories do not invent themselves. People create stories. Storytellers and stories are somewhat different to liars and lying.
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 02:30 PM   #24
StankApe
Banned

I think hoaxing (see lying) IS the driving force of footery. The PGF is a hoax, the trackways are all hoaxes. Ketchum's DNA thing was a hoax. In fact, if the higher ups didn't hoax every once in awhile, they would have nothing new to sell to the flock.

If that isn't a community based on a lie , well I don't know what is.
Old 13th November 2012, 02:39 PM   #25
Castro
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Night Walker View Post
No. I am saying that dishonesty and negativity are not what drives the Bigfoot phenomenon so it is no good to tar all with the same brush.

Bigfoot is a great story but stories do not invent themselves. People create stories. Storytellers and stories are somewhat different to liars and lying.
Storytelling is maybe not lying but don't you think that the lie begins when the storyteller acts to convince people that his story is real?
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 02:43 PM   #26
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I think there is enough info on BF to understand it has been a hoax all along, anyone still trying to pass off prints, pictures, sightings, etc. Is hoaxing or lying depending on how one looks at it.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 04:50 PM   #27
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Skeptics spend entirely too much time trying to convince "witnesses" that the 9' x 6', infrasound zapping, peaceful, leaf eating wood ape was an hallucination of some sort. Such stories can be dismissed with the word "lie" with no need for further discussion.
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 06:27 PM   #28
Sonny2
Muse

Lots of people like the self-importance of getting one over on other people. Kind of like an inside joke. Bigfoot is no different than most lies, well, actually it IS different because nobody can prove you're lying.

But I do kinda agree with Night Walker in that there is an element of folklore there.
Old 13th November 2012, 06:51 PM   #29
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

But I do kinda agree with Night Walker in that there is an element of folklore there.
I agree there is folklore in the Sasquatch, that's one thing Kathy Strain gets right when she talks about the hairy man, but that's all it is, just a lot of fairy tales, stories and tall tales.
Old 13th November 2012, 07:24 PM   #30
Sonny2
Muse

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
just a lot of fairy tales, stories and tall tales.
Just a lot of tall hairy tales.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:07 PM   #31
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I will admit I love some of the stories and have always wished they were true, my fav is " Albert Ostman " but as we know they are just stories.
What gets me is how some have taken advantage of what was some good ole American folklore and turned it into profit with hoaxes and lies, promises of bigfoot adventures, bogus artifacts, shooting at shadows in the night, the list goes on, you can argue that's the American way, but in this case I see it as criminal, only reason nothing is done about it ! Is because I think the government is sending a message to believers. ( Don't be so stupid ) lol
Old 13th November 2012, 08:11 PM   #32
Sonny2
Muse

The gubmint wants people to beleeve in Bigfoots so they won't notice all the other stuff going on, you know, faked moon landings and stuff like that.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:16 PM   #33
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

lmao " 0 " No tell me that ain't true ~ Hahahahahaha
Old 13th November 2012, 08:20 PM   #34
Sonny2
Muse

Are you saying you don't believe in the Men in Black? I bet you don't believe Melba has Bigfoot DNA either, do you, you...you...disbleever.

Last edited by Sonny2; 13th November 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:29 PM   #35
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

You caught me fair and square ~ I am a non believer, I will admit it.
I have an addiction to the Fiction

Being an IRISH guy from South Boston, MA. I am obligated to support ~ Leprechauns

Last edited by RedRatSnake; 13th November 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:32 PM   #36
Sonny2
Muse

Hey, get this. Bigfoot Lunch Club announces that:

On November 13, 2012, Ken N. of Chesterfield, MO started a petition on the White House website. The petition is simply asking the Obama administration to "Recognize the cryptid species known as Bigfoot as an endangered species in the United States of America."

LOLOLOL

And hey, Slocie's, I'm Scots Irish meeself. Tippin' a drink to ya.

Last edited by Sonny2; 13th November 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:47 PM   #37
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Hey, get this. Bigfoot Lunch Club announces that:

On November 13, 2012, Ken N. of Chesterfield, MO started a petition on the White House website. The petition is simply asking the Obama administration to "Recognize the cryptid species known as Bigfoot as an endangered species in the United States of America."

I wonder if that would make Bigfoots eligible for welfare and housing. Maybe they are trying to flush the hairy guy out with an offer of a free ride. Nothing else they do can find one.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:50 PM   #38
Sonny2
Muse

Do you suppose the WHite House will even give it the dignity of a response?

It would for sure make it illegal to shoot one. The Sierra guy would sure be in trouble, wouldn't he?

Why do I suddenly have this dreamy surrealistic feeling like I'm falling down a rabbit hole?
Old 13th November 2012, 08:51 PM   #39
GT/CS
Illuminator

So which government agency would be interested in hearing about Bipto's apparent misuse of his non-profit status?

Last edited by GT/CS; 13th November 2012 at 08:52 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 08:52 PM   #40
Sonny2
Muse

Whichever one deals with scams? Correct answer?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal