ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Frad73
New Blood

Prophecy

Hi,

one of my coworkers believes in clairvoyance and similar paranormal stuff. He's also engaged in a (german) forum about that stuff and said guy is very concerned about the "end time" and the like. This issue does really stress me out, so I decided that I have to write about it
He told me that in that forum there are some (self-proclaimed) "seers", and that they made very often correct predictions.

During the course of this year he told me of the predictions of a seer (most of them are written down on the forum and are meant to be fulfilled until the the beginning of 2013). I list them together with the events that allegedly fulfilled them, so that you can get a picture of the topic:
- Attack/Assassination of a politician -> My coworker says that this was fulfilled when the Syrian defense secretary was blown up in July
- Riots in France -> There were riots in France during august.
- Virus outbreak during the 2012 Summer Olympics -> There was a the Ebola outbreak in Uganda this year, which got media-attention during the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- Rise of fuel prices until shortage until November -> Fuel prices have risen, but the shortage is not yet been fulfilled.
- Energy crisis in Europe and USA until autumn -> No.
- USA will be engaged in a "Great conflict" in October (an event that would bother the USA very much) -> He pretends that this was fulfilled by Hurricane Sandy.
- A political scandal/affair will be revealed in the USA during November -> He says that this might be the affair of Petraeus and Allen.
- There will be an earthquake around November 20 (the seer didn't know where, but he speculated that the location might be Italy) -> We'll see
- There will be banner headlines (until the end of November) about the area around "Baden-Baden" (town in Germany), because of "Russians and Muslims". (Whatever that means) -> Not yet happened.
- There will be scandals/affairs in the EU at the beginning of 2013.
- The EU will react disproportionate to an incident after January and the population will be surprised that there are no consequences.

I've already tried to relativize the forecasts above: That riots do occur almost every second year in France, that the virus didn't break out during the Summer Olympics but in June, that a hurricane (Sandy) isn't a "conflict", that the affair around Petraeus and Allen isn't directly a political affair, that there are wrong predictions etc. (The only forecast that I couldn't rebut was the assassination of a politician)

But he ignores this. Which further arguments can I bring up?

My coworker is very confident with the forecasts of the seer. He told me that the seer prophesied a devaluation of the Dollar within the next 15 months, a lot of natural disasters, wars, a great earthquake in the USA, Putin will drive the USA into bankruptcy, Russia will attack Europe and conquer Germany once the USA are incapable of action.
(Like I've already written: He's very concerned about the "end time" - stockpiling inventories, building a shelter (because of a possible nuclear war), being prepared for the attack of the Russians (lol) and similar crazy stuff.)
Frad73 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Ray Brady
Muse

Originally Posted by Frad73 View Post
The only forecast that I couldn't rebut was the assassination of a politician.
I challenge you to name a year in which no politician on the planet was attacked. If ambassadors are counted as politicians, the phrase "attack/assassination" is broad enough that this will be a guaranteed hit every year.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Baffled
Critical Thinker

a great earthquake in the USA
Well that one's definitely gonna happen. Probably not in the next 15 months, but, y'know...eventually.

Quote:
Putin will drive the USA into bankruptcy
Okay that's just nuts. One person -- and Putin at that -- driving the US into bankruptcy? How does he envision such a thing could even happen?
Baffled is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 08:11 PM   #4
gabeygoat
Muse

Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post
I challenge you to name a year in which no politician on the planet was attacked. If ambassadors are counted as politicians, the phrase "attack/assassination" is broad enough that this will be a guaranteed hit every year.
Exactly. It would be way weirder if no politician (or government official) was attacked at all somewhere in the world over the course of a year.
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 08:13 PM   #5
sopclod
Student

Riots in France aren't that uncommon either, depending on your definition of "riot". Like, spirited demonstration, perhaps.
sopclod is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 09:25 PM   #6
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Those "predictions" are as pointless as telling Caesar to "beware the Ides of March"...-on- the Ides of March, with not a hint as to what to beware of.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Astreja
Springy Goddess

- Attack/Assassination of a politician: Very common.

- Riots in France: Also very common.

- Virus outbreak during the 2012 Summer Olympics: Could have been "fulfilled" by a head cold.

- Rise of fuel prices: Very common.

- Energy crisis in Europe and USA until autumn: Falsified, unless he meant gas lineups in the wake of Sandy.

- USA will be engaged in a "Great conflict" in October: Texas sharpshooter fallacy regarding Hurricane Sandy, or possibly thinking of the US election campaign.

- A political scandal/affair will be revealed in the USA during November: Possible "hit" with Petraeus and Allen scandal.

- There will be an earthquake around November 20: We'll find out in a couple of days. I think a margin of error of +/- 3 days would be sufficient, so if there are no earthquakes of significance before November 23 this one's going to miss.

- There will be banner headlines (until the end of November) about the area around "Baden-Baden" (town in Germany), because of "Russians and Muslims". (Whatever that means): Unless Russians and Muslims are involved in an altercation in Baden-Baden in the last 2 weeks of November, I expect this one will be a clear miss.

- There will be scandals/affairs in the EU at the beginning of 2013: Too vague to be a prophesy.

- The EU will react disproportionate to an incident after January and the population will be surprised that there are no consequences: Too vague to be a prophesy.

All in all, the "seers" on the forum don't look very impressive. Also, don't discount the possibility that these purported prophets could have inside information (for example, knowing that someone in government was having an affair, and deliberately "outing" the individual in order to fulfill a prophesy). Not all that probable, but probability > 0.

Last edited by Astreja; 18th November 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Astreja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 10:54 PM   #8
Lukraak_Sisser
Graduate Poster

<snipped for brevity>
I've already tried to relativize the forecasts above: That riots do occur almost every second year in France, that the virus didn't break out during the Summer Olympics but in June, that a hurricane (Sandy) isn't a "conflict", that the affair around Petraeus and Allen isn't directly a political affair, that there are wrong predictions etc. (The only forecast that I couldn't rebut was the assassination of a politician)

My coworker is very confident with the forecasts of the seer. He told me that the seer prophesied a devaluation of the Dollar within the next 15 months, a lot of natural disasters, wars, a great earthquake in the USA, Putin will drive the USA into bankruptcy, Russia will attack Europe and conquer Germany once the USA are incapable of action.
(Like I've already written: He's very concerned about the "end time" - stockpiling inventories, building a shelter (because of a possible nuclear war), being prepared for the attack of the Russians (lol) and similar crazy stuff.)
I've summarized the prophecies and given my take on them (prophecy in italics, comment normal font), yet I doubt any comment would dissuade him, your own comments show clearly its a fraudulent seer, and if he dismisses those out of hand he will do so with every other comment too.

- Attack/Assassination of a politician -> My coworker says that this was fulfilled when the Syrian defense secretary was blown up in July
As already answered by others, politicians get attacked with depressing regularity
predicting NO attacks at all for a year would be truly against statistics
There were some standard French demonstrations, which happen a lot there too, riots would need a lot more violence
- Virus outbreak during the 2012 Summer Olympics -> There was a the Ebola outbreak in Uganda this year, which got media-attention during the 2012 Summer Olympics.
A virus outbreaks happens every day. Predicting a specific virus on a specific location at a specific date would be a prediction.
- Rise of fuel prices until shortage until November -> Fuel prices have risen, but the shortage is not yet been fulfilled.
Yay, (s)he can read economic papers yet gets the true prediction wrong
And you're right. No
- USA will be engaged in a "Great conflict" in October (an event that would bother the USA very much) -> He pretends that this was fulfilled by Hurricane Sandy.
Also, the USA is still involved in a war in Afghanistan. Hurricanes are (as you said) not conflicts.
- A political scandal/affair will be revealed in the USA during November -> He says that this might be the affair of Petraeus and Allen.
A political scandal will happen somewhere in the USA every month if you look hard enough, the country is enormous and has literally tens of thousands of politicians. Again specific name/date is a prediction
- There will be an earthquake around November 20 (the seer didn't know where, but he speculated that the location might be Italy) -> We'll see
There are earthquakes happening now. Date/time/place/magnitude is a prediction, claiming earthquakes will happen is geology
- There will be banner headlines (until the end of November) about the area around "Baden-Baden" (town in Germany), because of "Russians and Muslims". (Whatever that means) -> Not yet happened.
But unlikely too, closest to a real prediction in the lot.
- The EU will react disproportionate to an incident after January and the population will be surprised that there are no consequences.

For these two, see the US politicians, as this applies to the EU too. Especially as the wording is so broad the incident could be a major terrorist attack or the fact that the caterer to the EU parliament forgot to include desserts for a meal.

For most of it it seems the seer is just a person capable of watching the news and understanding human nature.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 03:15 AM   #9
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

He might as well have written "the sun will rise on or around November 20th". Here's a list of recent significant earthquakes: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

Quote:
M 6.4, 163km SSW of Severo-Kuril'sk, Russia Friday, November 16, 2012 18:12:39 UTC
M 6.0, 9km E of Tlalchapa, Mexico Thursday, November 15, 2012 09:20:23 UTC
M 6.1, 82km SW of Vallenar, Chile Wednesday, November 14, 2012 19:02:05 UTC
M 6.4, 248km S of Cape Yakataga, Alaska Monday, November 12, 2012 20:42:17 UTC
M 6.5, 30km WSW of Champerico, Guatemala Sunday, November 11, 2012 22:15:00 UTC
M 6.8, 52km NNE of Shwebo, Burma Sunday, November 11, 2012 01:12:38 UTC
M 4.3, 17km SE of Hazard, Kentucky Saturday, November 10, 2012 17:08:14 UTC
As you can see, significant earthquakes happen every few days.

But this prophet didn't predict a significant earthquake, he predicted an earthquake. So let's look at the earthquake statistics for the last few hours: http://www.world-earthquakes.com/ind...thq_statistics

Quote:
Earthquakes distribution for past hours in the World:
A = 50 Earthquakes with magnitude less than 3 on Richter scale (83.33%).
B = 7 earthquakes with magnitude between 3 and 5 (11.67%).
C = 3 earthquakes with magnitude between 5 and 6 (5%).
D = 0 earthquakes with magnitude between 6 and 7 (0%).
E = 0 earthquakes with magnitude between 7 and 8 (0%).
F = 0 earthquakes with magnitude greater than 8 (0%).
Now, these figures will almost certainly change by the time you visit that link, but from what I've just posted you can see that there have been 60 earthquakes globally in the last few hours.

And if you look at that link and compare it to the earlier link, you'll see that the earlier link is missing out some significant earthquakes that have happened within the last day or so. I'm sure it'll be updated soon.

So, will there be an earthquake somewhere in the world on the 20th? Yes. It's not really much of a prediction, though.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 19th November 2012 at 03:17 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 03:25 AM   #10
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Everyone has performed a good analysis of the alleged predictions, but presenting a rebuttal in this fashion will likely do nothing in regard to changing your friend's mind. I recommend the approach of creating your own Prophecy Fulfilled list. Pick four or five received recent years and list how the predictions work for those years, too. Keep it short, simple, and non-accusatory. Give it to your friend and don't push too hard or he will shut down any discussion.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:28 AM   #11
Minarvia
fading orb

Just being VERY general here - I was born in the 60's and many others like me were also born under the constant threat of nuclear war. As soon as I could read, EVERY single year had tabloids trumpeting the "end times" and were filled with "bibilical prophecies" and such. And I do mean every single year.

The rag mags still do this. Every single year.

All of those things your friend mentioned are indeed depressingly common. But the world still spins.

Don't worry overmuch about this. I used to, over 40 years ago, but not any more. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I've seen and heard too much of this sort of thing to have it upset me any more. I have enough in my own life to deal with.

Welcome! And good luck with your friend.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Yorkie
Student

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Everyone has performed a good analysis of the alleged predictions, but presenting a rebuttal in this fashion will likely do nothing in regard to changing your friend's mind. I recommend the approach of creating your own Prophecy Fulfilled list. Pick four or five received recent years and list how the predictions work for those years, too. Keep it short, simple, and non-accusatory. Give it to your friend and don't push too hard or he will shut down any discussion.
I agree with Garrette about not pushing to hard. As long as your co-worker isn't harming anyone or getting fleeced leave him to it. Take a chill pill and don't stress - you know you're right. Given time they will probably realise it's a pile of rubbish anyway.
Yorkie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
I agree with Garrette about not pushing to hard. As long as your co-worker isn't harming anyone or getting fleeced leave him to it. Take a chill pill and don't stress - you know you're right. Given time they will probably realise it's a pile of rubbish anyway.
Yep. I've known it intellectually for a long time, but I hadn't really let it sink in, and I think many on this forum miss the very important point:

Debunking a claim does not equate to convincing a person.

So clarify your intent, even if only to yourself, before entering a discussion.
Old 2nd July 2013, 02:57 AM   #14
Frad73
New Blood

Prophecy

Hello,

a few months ago (November 2012), I posted a thread about "prophecy" under hxxp://forums.randi.org/ showthread.php?t=248011 (I can't post links yet) where I wrote down some forecasts of a "seer" which one of my coworkers reported. The original post is in the spoiler:

Hi,

one of my coworkers believes in clairvoyance and similar paranormal stuff. He's also engaged in a (german) forum about that stuff and said guy is very concerned about the "end time" and the like. This issue does really stress me out, so I decided that I have to write about it
He told me that in that forum there are some (self-proclaimed) "seers", and that they made very often correct predictions.

During the course of this year he told me of the predictions of a seer (most of them are written down on the forum and are meant to be fulfilled until the the beginning of 2013). I list them together with the events that allegedly fulfilled them, so that you can get a picture of the topic:

Now a few months later, I would like to add a few more "prophecies" which my coworker shared with me in the meantime, and ask you again about your opinion.
At the beginning I will post three "predictions" from my thread last year, which (according to my workmate) have been "fulfilled":

I must admit that I might have misunderstood this "prediction" when I wrote it down last year. It is possible that it referred to whole autumn instead of November. I also forgot to mention that the "seer" predicted that this event would affect the whole American population and "split" it. (Not 100% sure if I have correctly remembered it though - it could also be an additional prediction.)
=> My coworker believes now that it was fulfilled by the rampage of Newtown and the debate about gun laws thereafter (instead of the Petraeus and Allen scandal), which really split the U.S. population

Quote:
=> Possibly scandals (according to my colleague): Corruption in Spain, privatization of water supply, horse-meat in lasagna, Cyprian banks have to be saved although they are involved in money laundering.

Quote:
- The EU will react disproportionate to an incident [Annotation: My coworker said that this incident would be something in a foreign country, or one of the scandals above.] after January [EDIT: But still during the "beginning" of 2013, whatever that means] and the population will be surprised that there are no consequences.
=> According to my colleague this might have been the financial aid for Cyprian bank, or the confiscation of assets on these banks?

There are two more "predictions" about last year:

- Before the presidential elections of the U.S. in 2012 the seer said, that Obama would probably loose and might do "something" if he's about to loose in order to prevent this from happening.
=> My coworker believes that the last part (Obama does something to prevent his loss) was fulfilled by his (alleged?) "cover-up" of the Petraeus and Allen scandal and the attack on the U.S. Diplomatic mission in Bengasi.

- About the EU the "seer" said (was at the beginning of November 2012) that (until summer 2013) one would try to be optimistic about Greece, Italy and Spain. But he said that one would be discontent with France.
=> A few days later, Moody's downgraded France, and there are now fears about a recension in France, so my workmate thinks that this "prediction" was fulfilled. However he isn't sure if this could also be a "prediction" of the huge protests against Same-sex marriage in France.

Finally "forecasts" for the future, which are simply very improbable:

- Degradation of the dollar and some sort of "emergency meeting" about another currency to trade oil (within the next 3 years, the "prediction was made at the beginning of November).
- The dollar will start to fall within the next 15 months (from November 2012) (means until February 2014)
- A big earthquake in the U.S., natural disasters, more wars, Israel is very aggressive/starts wars and the U.S. don't stop them (all within the next 3 years), Obama can't handle all the problems and fails
- Putin will drive the U.S. into bankruptcy through it's armament (provoking an arms race)

OK, the last four can't be taken serious, but what do you think about the other five "predictions"? I'd be glad to hear your opinion: Which arguments could I come up with, in order to counter the claims of my coworker?

Kind regards

Last edited by Frad73; 2nd July 2013 at 02:58 AM.
Frad73 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2013, 03:37 AM   #15
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Political Scandal in the U.S.

IMO if he includes Newtown then he would post-hoc justify the prediction with anything

Scandals in the EU

If the bar is set as low as "alleged corruption in Spain" there will always be scandals. See if your co-worker can find a month when there isn't a scandal in the EU by that measure

Disproportionate EU action

You could argue that the EU took proportionate action but even if this isn't the case, I would challenge someone to find a year when some EU member didn't respond to something in a way that someone didn't find dispropotionate.

Obama to do "something"

I'd be interested to know how either of these things helped Obama but in any case it was a "no lose" prediction. If Obama wasn't elected it was right and if Obama was elected then he "must" have done something to get elected

Discontent in France

It's almost inconceivable that, in an economic slump, nothing bad would happen in France. You could argue that this is a miss because the news from the other countries is as bad or worse.

In essence, your co-worker is so determined that the predictions are right that it's almost impossible that they won't be filled. Don't try to counter it's pointless.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:48 AM   #16
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

It may be worth a mention that predicting the future is not that great a trick. I made predictions for 2012 that showed a shattering accuracy, including the following:

A planet will be discovered less than a hundred light years away that has the "right" gravity, temperature and atmosphere for life to exist. Approximately two months later, such a planet WAS found, 22 light-years away. E.g., "Newfound super-Earth might support life, scientists say," NBCNews 2 February 2012.
Discovery of the Higgs boson will be confirmed, but there will be a discovery of a new problem with the Standard Model. In July, this prediction was found to be correct; the experimental data confirmed and did not disprove the existence of the Higgs, although new questions were raised about the Standard Model.
China will unveil its plans to put men and women on the Moon. This prediction was confirmed about a week later.
A major Star Trek actor will "beam up" to the REAL final frontier. The remains of actor James Doohan were launched into space. Several news sources used words almost exactly like the prediction. The Winnipeg Free Press (23 May 2013), for example, under the headline "Scotty returns to final frontier," said "They finally did it. They beamed Scotty up."
(A) surprise Broadway smash hit will feature something outrageous, perhaps a fake but realistic depiction of a sexual act on stage. In October, a play opened on Broadway called "The Performers," starring Henry Winkler and Alicia Silverstone; and it was billed as an "outrageous comedy about the adult entertainment industry."
The U.S. Supreme Court will uphold part of the US healthcare overhaul, but not all of it. This prediction was a stunner, because it was dead-on right. The so-called "smart money" was predicting that Obamacare would be struck down completely. But Obamacare was upheld, though the Medicaid expansion was not. CNBC (28 June 2012) reported the story using language similar to the prediction: "The Supreme Court, in a landmark ruling Thursday, upheld President Obama's health care overhaul.... The court, however, found problems with the law's expansion of Medicaid...."
A prominent celebrity comes out of the closet. This creates a stir for about a week, then nobody gives a darn. This very thing happened to Anderson Cooper, and a week later, the story about his coming-out was virtually dead.
An expression of extreme hatred will be made against Rachel Maddow. Extreme. Rachel will take it in stride. In February, Columnist Cal Thomas said, "I think [Maddow is] the best argument in favor of her parents using contraception." Maddow took it in stride, responding: "I'm sorry that you feel that way about me, that you wish I had never been born…. Personally, I'm glad that you were born." Thomas later apologized.
A titantic "Oops" bigger than any made so far by Rick Perry will dog a well-known person for several months. A few weeks after the prediction was made, a "Titanic Oops" did occur: The Costa Concordia was wrecked when, by mistake, she sailed too close to the Tuscan island of Giglio. Dozens of media stories compared the tragic ship-handling blunder to the wreck of the Titanic. Captain Schettino, who was known before the wreck, was elevated to a much higher level of infamy.
A controversy will surround an exhibit at a major museum. The Canada Science and Technology Museum--one of the museums in the Canadian capital comparable to a Smithsonian museum in Washington DC--had an exhibit entitled "Sex: A Tell-all Exhibition." The exhibit generated controversy and drew the ire of the Heritage Minister (Globe and Mail, 16 May 2012).
An unforeseen economic crisis will threaten China. Bloomberg headline from 30 August 2012: "China's Growing Economic Crisis."
Another near-Earth object will be discovered less than a month before it makes a close pass by Earth, and it will pass well within the orbit of the Moon. Another stunningly accurate prediction about astronomy, which came true about a month after it was made. Asteroid 2012 BX34 made one of the closest passes to Earth in recorded history, coming well within the orbit of the Moon (0.17 lunar distances). The asteroid was discovered only two days before it made its close pass.
Canada will announce that the penny will be phased out. An absolutely amazing prediction, notable for at least three reasons. First, it was a specific prediction with virtually no ambiguity that came true. Second, when the announcement was made, it was a surprise to everyone else. MarketWatch (Wall Street Journal, 3 April 2012): "The elimination of the maple-leaf-festooned Canadian penny this summer … was probably the biggest surprise in the new Conservative government Harper budget." CBC News referred to it as the "surprise demise." And third, when the Canadian Government explained what it had done, it used (and to this day continues to use) the language of the prediction itself: "In Economic Action Plan 2012, the Government announced it would phase out the penny from Canada's coinage system." (By contrast, when the issue was discussed in the USA or elsewhere, there was talk of "retiring" or "discontinuing" the penny, not so much "phasing out.")

And there are others. Accurate predictions about Pat Robertson, Al Franken, Charles Durning, "pink slime," a major scam ... with many of the predictions being nearly word-for-word accurate.

So when someone talks to me about being a prophet, or having a special ability to predict the future, I scoff. Because I'm entitled to scoff. I tried my hand at predicting, and I kicked the butts of the other "prophets."

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:59 AM   #17
rcfieldz
Banned

What I See

I see this poster as a waste of time...I see he never mentions where(if any) site where this "seer" friend posts.
rcfieldz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2013, 08:04 AM   #18
DuvalHMFIC
Critical Thinker

Well, obviously this guy is his "friend." He's fancying himself a prophet, but not quite ready to admit as much just yet.

And most of these "predictions" can be made by reading the news everyday.
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
And most of these "predictions" can be made by reading the news everyday.
Shhhhh! That's one of the secrets!!

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:05 AM   #20
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

Frad73, all these predictions seem vague and ambiguous to me. It's pretty easy to fulfill such
vague predictions with common occurrences after the fact.
Old 30th July 2013, 05:09 PM   #21
Frad73
New Blood

Hi,

thanks for all your answers, and sorry that my reply took so long (had a lot to do and not enough spare time).

Anyway, I tried to talk to my coworker, but it is difficult. For example, he now believes that the disproportionate reaction of the EU could have been fulfilled by the EU's criticized reaction to the demonstrations in Turkey (Turkey wants to join the EU, and the EU was criticized that the behavior of Turkey had no major consequences), or the bugging of buildings of the EU which had almost no consequences for the USA.

And he is now also telling me further "predictions" about the future (by the same "seer" and another one): A big tsunami on the US-East coast (the seer doesn't know when this is supposed to happen, but it will be worse than hurricane Sandy) which the seer believes will be caused by an earthquake (probably in the canaries [causing a landslide] or around Iceland [dunno if seaquake or if it causes a landslide]).
Another prediction is that from august until shortly before the winter (this year) there will be great fear about the degradation of the dollar (and later the Euro), and even the fear of a major escalating war (possibly because of the degradation of the dollar or Euro).
Old 30th July 2013, 05:51 PM   #22
Ray Brady
Muse

the seer doesn't know when this is supposed to happen
And thus the prediction cannot possibly fail. That's the hallmark of a truly sucky seer.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2013, 07:08 PM   #23
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Hi,

thanks for all your answers, and sorry that my reply took so long (had a lot to do and not enough spare time).

Anyway, I tried to talk to my coworker, but it is difficult. For example, he now believes that the disproportionate reaction of the EU could have been fulfilled by the EU's criticized reaction to the demonstrations in Turkey (Turkey wants to join the EU, and the EU was criticized that the behavior of Turkey had no major consequences), or the bugging of buildings of the EU which had almost no consequences for the USA.

And he is now also telling me further "predictions" about the future (by the same "seer" and another one): A big tsunami on the US-East coast (the seer doesn't know when this is supposed to happen, but it will be worse than hurricane Sandy) which the seer believes will be caused by an earthquake (probably in the canaries [causing a landslide] or around Iceland [dunno if seaquake or if it causes a landslide]).
Another prediction is that from august until shortly before the winter (this year) there will be great fear about the degradation of the dollar (and later the Euro), and even the fear of a major escalating war (possibly because of the degradation of the dollar or Euro).
There will be economic insecurity and wars and rumors of war?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2013, 06:40 AM   #24
dlorde
Philosopher

Anyway, I tried to talk to my coworker, but it is difficult. For example, he now believes <rubbish snipped>
It's nonsense.

So what do you expect from us?
Old 7th August 2013, 12:30 PM   #25
tuxcat
Muse

I predict lucky guesses, after-the-fact shoehorning, confirmation bias and a tantrum will all appear within 20 more posts.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal