ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags pareidolia , shroud of turin

Closed Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 08:47 AM   #4241
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,434
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Squeegee,
- That is also what you keep telling me, but I think you're wrong. Should I start trying to show why I think you're wrong?
--- Jabba
You are posting this on the internet. A series of tubes global information network that allows us to share our ideas in real time. This network was created by the scientific method. Not by assertion or playing lawyer. Give that a think in your breakfast nook.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:01 AM   #4242
Resume
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,735
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Squeegee,
- That is also what you keep telling me, but I think you're wrong. Should I start trying to show why I think you're wrong?
--- Jabba
You should start trying to show you're right; so far, you've made a hash of it.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:48 AM   #4243
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,722
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I think you should try to show why catsmate1's last post is wrong. Assuming you've given up showing the 14C data is wrong.
It's not like the material I posted is new to Jabba. He ignored it last time too.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:54 AM   #4244
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,431
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Squeegee,
- That is also what you keep telling me, but I think you're wrong. Should I start trying to show why I think you're wrong?
--- Jabba
What you should do is try to appreciate why I'm right.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 11:26 AM   #4245
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 9,953
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Squeegee,
- That is also what you keep telling me, but I think you're wrong. Should I start trying to show why I think you're wrong?
--- Jabba
Rich:

You do not have to explain that you are not interested in the truth, but instead are only interested in anything you can twist into the slightest, most fantastical suggestion that the cloth might ("must be") be the True Shroud™, despite its medieval provenance. Then, in your mind, that unlikely suggestion becomes The Truth™.

You never bothered to answer me as to why you don't just admit that you think the cloth is, in fact, by miraculous means, the True Shroud™. Why not just admit it, call it a miracle, soothe yourself that your faith is intact, and "hae'done wi' it"? Reality is not on your side...
__________________
"If you find somebody to love in this world, you better hang on tooth and nail--The wolf is always at the door..." -Don Henley
"Justice is often messy, slow, expensive and inconvenient. Tyranny is quicker and cheaper and theocracy neat as a pin, but it's a poor bargain for those not on the winning side of the day."-bruto
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 11:29 AM   #4246
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Jabba, just say that god waved his magic wand and the thread can end.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 12:39 PM   #4247
Jabba
Master Poster
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,387
Carbon Dating/Relevance of Blood

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I think you should try to show why catsmate1's last post is wrong. Assuming you've given up showing the 14C data is wrong.
Giordano,
- I haven't given up trying to show that 14C data is wrong -- but, the presence of blood on the Shroud is like my first premise in an extended syllogism that is supposed to show that the 14C data is wrong. So, trying to show that Catsmate's last post was wrong is probably a good place to start.
--- Jabba
__________________
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski
"Most good ideas don't work." Jabba
"Tra gli argomenti, colui che ricorre alla meno sarcasmo dovrebbe essere selezionata." Jabba's Razor
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 12:45 PM   #4248
Resume
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,735
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Giordano,
- I haven't given up trying to show that 14C data is wrong -- but, the presence of blood on the Shroud is like my first premise in an extended syllogism that is supposed to show that the 14C data is wrong.
How do you figure that?
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 12:59 PM   #4249
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!
 
wollery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Giordano,
- I haven't given up trying to show that 14C data is wrong -- but, the presence of blood on the Shroud is like my first premise in an extended syllogism that is supposed to show that the 14C data is wrong. So, trying to show that Catsmate's last post was wrong is probably a good place to start.
--- Jabba
The problem with that is that unless you can directly show that the 14C data is wrong (i.e. demonstrate an undeniable sampling or procedural problem) you must, at some point, invoke a miracle to explain the 14C data.
__________________
"You're a sick SOB. You know that, Wollery?" - Roadtoad

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 01:10 PM   #4250
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,431
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Giordano,
- I haven't given up trying to show that 14C data is wrong -- but, the presence of blood on the Shroud is like my first premise in an extended syllogism that is supposed to show that the 14C data is wrong. So, trying to show that Catsmate's last post was wrong is probably a good place to start.
--- Jabba
Only a scientific refutation of the C14 dating will show it to be wrong.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 01:32 PM   #4251
Jabba
Master Poster
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,387
New thread

- In case you haven't noticed, I just started my new thread on "immortality."
--- Jabba
__________________
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski
"Most good ideas don't work." Jabba
"Tra gli argomenti, colui che ricorre alla meno sarcasmo dovrebbe essere selezionata." Jabba's Razor
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 01:46 PM   #4252
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
- In case you haven't noticed, I just started my new thread on "immortality."
--- Jabba
Great, another fantasy thread.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 02:03 PM   #4253
Aepervius
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,679
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Giordano,
- I haven't given up trying to show that 14C data is wrong -- but, the presence of blood on the Shroud is like my first premise in an extended syllogism that is supposed to show that the 14C data is wrong. So, trying to show that Catsmate's last post was wrong is probably a good place to start.
--- Jabba
You are going off tangent on absolutely USELESS information which in no way WHATSOEVER impact the dating.

Anybody impartial would see how frigging ridiculous this is. By now the only conclusion can only be :

<SNIP>
Edited by LashL:  Removed breach.


* you have long recognized you lost the debate, but rather than admit it you just try to go for "length" and hope everybody else abandon the debate thus declaring victory by having the last word.

Last edited by LashL; 21st November 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 02:48 PM   #4254
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,333
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Pakeha,
- I'm not refuting anything. So far, I'm just accepting that my evidence is weaker than I thought it was.
--- Jabba
Perhaps I chose my wording ill.
What is clear is that your own investigation both of the invisible weaving ploy and the existence of blood have undermined any credibility those claims had.

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
.. I came to the Randi forum to see if I could in fact defend my current position (that the Shroud is probably authentic) against serious skeptics.
I'll be looking forward to seeing any evidence that defends that position.

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
It's already refuted garbage. ...The supposed blood on the shroud consists of two major pigments, vermilion and red ochre that were painted on by an artist, creating the perfect (utterly unrealistic) droplets and rivulets of "blood".
Bookmarked.
At the end of the day, the 'blood' is just wishful thinking.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 02:54 PM   #4255
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Even if it was blood, that would not aid Jabba's case.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 05:43 PM   #4256
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,589
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Mike,
- This is what they keep telling me -- but, it just isn't my approach here.
- I came to the Randi forum to see if I could in fact defend my current position (that the Shroud is probably authentic) against serious skeptics. And, note that my position is only a "probably." My position is not that the Shroud is authentic.
--- Jabba
Your defence is like trying to arange battleships to blockade a rook in a game of chess--it shows that you don't know what you're talking about, down to the most basic level.

Quote:
- I'm not refuting anything.
This is true. You've been entirely unable to offer any coherent refutation of anything thus far in this thread.

Quote:
- I haven't given up trying to show that 14C data is wrong -- but, the presence of blood on the Shroud is like my first premise in an extended syllogism that is supposed to show that the 14C data is wrong.
And since we've shown that your notion that the presence of blood in no way proves anything you think it does (ie, it's not improbable that someone would paint it on, given the culture and other artifacts known at the time), you fail at the first hurdle. The fact that you refuse to recognize this--OR EVEN RESPOND--shows that you aren't interested in a serious conversation on this topic. You're preaching, Jabba. That's all.
__________________
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 11:40 PM   #4257
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,333
Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
...And since we've shown that your notion that the presence of blood in no way proves anything you think it does (ie, it's not improbable that someone would paint it on, given the culture and other artifacts known at the time), you fail at the first hurdle. ...
In these 107 pages, not one of Jabba's notions has stood up to examination, correct me if I'm wrong.

It will be interesting to see what he falls back on now that the patching and the blood have failed him.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:19 AM   #4258
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,722
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Giordano,
- I haven't given up trying to show that 14C data is wrong -- but, the presence of blood on the Shroud is like my first premise in an extended syllogism that is supposed to show that the 14C data is wrong.
Rubbish. The supposed presence of blood is utterly unconnected with the radiocarbon dating. Neither is necessarily related to the other.
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
So, trying to show that Catsmate's last post was wrong is probably a good place to start.
--- Jabba
Feel free to try. You didn't manage it the last time.
You could start with listing the evidence for the presence of blood; what tests were performed, by whom, using what techniques/equipment and the exact results of them.

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
In these 107 pages, not one of Jabba's notions has stood up to examination, correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct. Lots of dodgy claims, utter lack of facts and evidence to support them

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
It will be interesting to see what he falls back on now that the patching and the blood have failed him.
Probably he'll just start repeating them. Again.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:19 AM   #4259
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 6,137
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Rubbish. The supposed presence of blood is utterly unconnected with the radiocarbon dating.
I think Jabba is taking the idea of weighing up evidence far too literally, i.e. he thinks you can put the evidence for and against something on the two pans of some metaphorical scales and see which way they tip. He accepts that the carbon dating evidence is a huge weight on the "against authenticity" side of this particular argument, but believes that if can find enough pro-authenticity feathers he can pile them up on the other side of the scales until they tip that way.

It doesn't matter how many people point out to him that scientific arguments simply don't work like that, he's going to carry on doing it regardless.
__________________
"The correct scientific response to anything that is not understood is always to look harder for the explanation, not give up and assume a supernatural cause". David Attenborough.

Last edited by Pixel42; 22nd November 2012 at 04:20 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:40 AM   #4260
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,722
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I think Jabba is taking the idea of weighing up evidence far too literally, i.e. he thinks you can put the evidence for and against something on the two pans of some metaphorical scales and see which way they tip. He accepts that the carbon dating evidence is a huge weight on the "against authenticity" side of this particular argument, but believes that if can find enough pro-authenticity feathers he can pile them up on the other side of the scales until they tip that way.

It doesn't matter how many people point out to him that scientific arguments simply don't work like that, he's going to carry on doing it regardless.
He seems to simply not understand how science actually works.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:00 AM   #4261
Jabba
Master Poster
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,387
Carbon Dating/Blood on Shroud

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
It's already refuted garbage.
1. Heller and Adler claimed to find blood on the cloth. Actually they did not. Their tests showed the presence of a porphyrin (many of which exist, including in plants, the likely source of the pigments used to create the shroud), iron and protein (both of which, even together, certainly don't indicate blood)...
Catsmate,
- My recollection is that Heller and Adler showed a lot more than porphyrin, iron and protein. Let's see if I can support my recollection.
- I'll be back.
--- Jabba
__________________
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski
"Most good ideas don't work." Jabba
"Tra gli argomenti, colui che ricorre alla meno sarcasmo dovrebbe essere selezionata." Jabba's Razor
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:35 AM   #4262
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,722
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Catsmate,
- My recollection is that Heller and Adler showed a lot more than porphyrin, iron and protein. Let's see if I can support my recollection.
- I'll be back.
--- Jabba
Feel free to do so. Remember details of the tests, who ran them and the results they showed. Not just your usual selection of unsubstantiated claims.

And may I suggest you keep notes on what's been discussed? It would save time and eliminate the continual repetition and rehashing of points.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:40 AM   #4263
Filippo Lippi
Graduate Poster
 
Filippo Lippi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,992
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Catsmate,
- My recollection is that Heller and Adler showed a lot more than porphyrin, iron and protein. Let's see if I can support my recollection.
- I'll be back.
--- Jabba

20 (twenty) years
__________________
"There is no refutation of Darwinian evolution in existence. If a refutation ever were to come about, it would come from a scientist, and not an idiot." - Richard Dawkins
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:56 AM   #4264
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,333
Heller and Adler?
http://www.opticsinfobase.org/ao/abs...=ao-19-16-2742

Here's an interesting take on their paper:
http://shroudofturinwithoutallthehyp...s-now-present/
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:15 AM   #4265
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,589
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Catsmate,
- My recollection is that Heller and Adler showed a lot more than porphyrin, iron and protein. Let's see if I can support my recollection.
- I'll be back.
--- Jabba
It's largely irrelevant one way or the other. If you examined most of my clothing, you'd find blood on it. I tend to bleed a lot (working with sharp metal will do that). That doesn't mean that my blue jeans or t-shirts are the burial shroud of Christ. Furthermore, the thing was IN A FIRE. That's not exactly a safe place to be. People tend to bleed when rescuing things from fires. I've seen it first-hand. So even if there was blood, and even if it wasn't put there by an artist (something you've in no way even attempted to demonstrate), it STILL says NOTHING other than "There's blood here." There are far, far too many alternate explanations.

You are again excluding all the explanations you dislike, and only admitting the ones you do as possible. This is a critical failure in someone who claims to be a statistician. It is incompetence--and an incompetent statistician can't be trusted, so we can disregard your assessment of odds wholesale (and since all we have to go on are your assessments, that means your arguments just evaporated).
__________________
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:49 PM   #4266
David Mo
Critical Thinker
 
David Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 437
Sindonist Archaeology is not Archaeology at all.

The principal point is: The discipline who studies old blood is Archaeometry or Scientific Archaeology. How many scientific archaeological studies (by experts in the matter) of the Turin Shroud have been done? Answer: no one. Point two: Are classic tests for blood detection (McCrone) useful in archaeometry? Answer: No. There is an archeological study (independent) that had used the Adler&Heller’s methods for detecting ancient blood? Answer: No. A study made by non-experts and not replicated by true experts can be conclusive? Answer. No.

Draw your own conclusions, please.

Last edited by David Mo; 22nd November 2012 at 11:51 PM.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:17 AM   #4267
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,722
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
I like his medicinal leeches theory.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:23 AM   #4268
Giordano
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,958
I was surprised how little the H and A paper actually presented: a lot of negative results, a graph sowing the "blood" on the shroud did not match very well with real blood, and many assertions without data. No proof of blood by any means!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:38 AM   #4269
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,501
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I was surprised how little the H and A paper actually presented: a lot of negative results, a graph sowing the "blood" on the shroud did not match very well with real blood, and many assertions without data. No proof of blood by any means!
Shroud Research:

1. Accept presence of blood as necessary to faith.

2. Look for any thing that helps with 1.
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:53 PM   #4270
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,333
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
I like his medicinal leeches theory.
Yeah.
It'd never have occurred to me, yet back in the day, as good a source of blood as any.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 08:11 AM   #4271
Jabba
Master Poster
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,387
Blood/Heller&Adler

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
It's already refuted garbage.
1. Heller and Adler claimed to find blood on the cloth. Actually they did not...
Catsmate,
- What are your sources for this claim?
--- Jabba
__________________
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski
"Most good ideas don't work." Jabba
"Tra gli argomenti, colui che ricorre alla meno sarcasmo dovrebbe essere selezionata." Jabba's Razor
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:16 AM   #4272
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,168
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Catsmate,
- What are your sources for this claim?
--- Jabba
This is absolutely ridiculous.

The sources for Adler and Heller's claim is twofold: Adler. Heller.

In other words, as has been pointed out to you about six different times (in differing fonts no less) the conclusions they draw are wildly incorrect considering their own evidence they found.

This obfuscation was humorous at first, but now it's just getting tiresome.
__________________
"It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that, it was excellent."
- Blackadder
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:22 AM   #4273
Giordano
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,958
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Catsmate,
- What are your sources for this claim?
--- Jabba
Jabba,
Do you read anyone's posts to this thread other than your own? You can find multiple sources for these sources, including one just a few posts above your own (4267). Even if you are pretending to be a lawyer, you need to listen to the opposing side's case if you hope for your side to prevail.

Last edited by Giordano; 24th November 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:24 AM   #4274
Aepervius
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,679
@ the norseman, it has become beyond tiresome, he was told so many time in proper way by peoples. I'll avoid to comment on the issue , got my first warning for a long time, and I am not too keen on being banned.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:34 AM   #4275
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,333
I used the search engine for the thread, Jabba, and found these posts bycatsmate1:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1401
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1623
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...er#post8512307

And this one of yours:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...er#post8545756

And from Dave Mo:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...er#post8551290
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...er#post8551822
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...er#post8601905


IanS:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...er#post8601826

And myself:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=3903

Enjoy reading what's already been posted up on the subject.


ETA:
This list of deathless information was posted in reply to this:
Quote:
Catsmate,
- What are your sources for this claim?
--- Jabba

Last edited by pakeha; 24th November 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: ETA
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 01:23 AM   #4276
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,168
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
@ the norseman, it has become beyond tiresome, he was told so many time in proper way by peoples. I'll avoid to comment on the issue , got my first warning for a long time, and I am not too keen on being banned.
Yes, you're right; and with pakeha's comprehensive post above, it is more than painfully obvious at the dishonesty and manipulation going on here.
__________________
"It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that, it was excellent."
- Blackadder
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 02:35 AM   #4277
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,333
Actually, I see the thread differently, perhaps because I know just how convincing the 'proofs' and 'evidence' of the pro-authenticity proponents are to those who haven't learned that supernatural 'relics' are simply flim-flam.

I think these discussions serve to create a pool of references on the subject of the TS thanks to the contributions of so many knowledgeable and articulate people.

Anyway, over time I'm going to fine down and hone proper reference entries to quantify the falsification of the following claims:

That blood was found on the TS.
That an 'invisible weave' caused confusion in the C14 dating.
That changes in the protocols diminish the reliability conclusions of the C14 dating.


It won't be anything original on my part- just a recopilation and ordering of information and sources from the discussions here at the JREF.
Call it my 2013 project.

Once I have rough working drafts going, I'll post them up for your target practise.

Now, back to your regular programming.
I'm looking forward to reading Jabba's evidence about the presence of blood on the TS.

ETA:
Thinking it over, is the subject even worth so much effort?
The TS is dated to the 14th century.
It's a medieval relic , acknowledged as such by the Vatican.

Jabba amuses themself by posting here and we amuse ourselves by replying.
At the end of the day, belief in fake relics will die away, just as belief in the magical properties of eclipses and thunder did.

Still, it IS amusing to see the pseudo-science of the TS treated here.

Last edited by pakeha; 25th November 2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: ETA
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 07:22 AM   #4278
Jabba
Master Poster
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,387
Blood/Heller&Adler

Originally Posted by catsmate1
It's already refuted garbage.
1. Heller and Adler claimed to find blood on the cloth. Actually they did not...

Originally Posted by Jabba
Catsmate,
- What are your sources for this claim?
--- Jabba

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Jabba,
Do you read anyone's posts to this thread other than your own? You can find multiple sources for these sources, including one just a few posts above your own (4267). Even if you are pretending to be a lawyer, you need to listen to the opposing side's case if you hope for your side to prevail.
Giordano,

- Your first suggestion in 4267 is an article by Heller and Adler themselves, and you can't read the article w/o paying at least $15.
- Your second suggestion is just an “argument” -- with no citations -- written and posted by Colin Berry on his own blog. This would probably be a good starting point if Berry had provided citations.

- As they stand, I don’t think these “sources” help your cause very much.
- Can you point me to some of the others?
- Thanks.

--- Jabba
__________________
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence." Charles Bukowski
"Most good ideas don't work." Jabba
"Tra gli argomenti, colui che ricorre alla meno sarcasmo dovrebbe essere selezionata." Jabba's Razor
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 07:37 AM   #4279
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,458
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Originally Posted by catsmate1
It's already refuted garbage.
1. Heller and Adler claimed to find blood on the cloth. Actually they did not...

Originally Posted by Jabba
Catsmate,
- What are your sources for this claim?
--- Jabba

Giordano,

- Your first suggestion in 4267 is an article by Heller and Adler themselves, and you can't read the article w/o paying at least $15.
- Your second suggestion is just an “argument” -- with no citations -- written and posted by Colin Berry on his own blog. This would probably be a good starting point if Berry had provided citations.

- As they stand, I don’t think these “sources” help your cause very much.
- Can you point me to some of the others?
- Thanks.

--- Jabba
So you are admitting that you haven't even read the Heller and Adler article, and yet you are using it as proof of blood on the Shroud.

And by omission you admit you haven't read the many posts linked to by Pakeha showing that the article you haven't read is flawed.

Methinks the judge would find you in contempt.
__________________
My kids still love me.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 07:52 AM   #4280
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,722
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Catsmate,
- What are your sources for this claim?
--- Jabba
I've already dealt with this, as have others, at length. Stop wasting time demanding we was time repeatedly debunk your rubbish.
Your claim of blood, your job to support with. With facts and evidence.

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous.

The sources for Adler and Heller's claim is twofold: Adler. Heller.

In other words, as has been pointed out to you about six different times (in differing fonts no less) the conclusions they draw are wildly incorrect considering their own evidence they found.

This obfuscation was humorous at first, but now it's just getting tiresome.
Yeah, well what can you expect from someone who's admitted that his belief in the shroud's authenticity trumps actual facts.

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Jabba,
Do you read anyone's posts to this thread other than your own? You can find multiple sources for these sources, including one just a few posts above your own (4267). Even if you are pretending to be a lawyer, you need to listen to the opposing side's case if you hope for your side to prevail.
I repeat, what can you expect from someone who's admitted that his belief desperate need to believe to believe, to shore up his faith, in the shroud's authenticity trumps actual facts.

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
So you are admitting that you haven't even read the Heller and Adler article, and yet you are using it as proof of blood on the Shroud.
Are we really surprised? Jabba's been shown to not bother to read the crap he claims supports his beliefs before.

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
And by omission you admit you haven't read the many posts linked to by Pakeha showing that the article you haven't read is flawed.

Methinks the judge would find you in contempt.
Well he already has my contempt.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.