ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:40 AM   #121
Dan O.
Penultimate Amazing

Have a look at that video again. The "ship" or whatever it is isn't moving continuously through the frame. It disappears from one location and simultaneously appears in the next location. This would indicate a form of teleportation drive which would make the craft capable of faster than light travel and be completely undetectable. So before you say it, I'll tell you why we are able to see them this one time. Obviously, they have covered the outside of their craft with off the shelf video cameras and synchronized the drive with the frame rate of the cameras. As they skip through the atmosphere, they are recording an incredible 360x360 view in high def 3D which they beam out to a waiting audience.

After producing VR treks through the GI tracts of every conceivable alien species, it looks like they have moved on to thrill rides.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 08:40 AM   #122
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Bryan, that is SUPERB!
An excellent and professionally done dissection of the myth.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 10:55 AM   #123
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bryan View Post
We have done some work at the location of the "UFO" video, here is a report of our findings (sorry no little green men)

www.rockymountainparanormal.com/foxufo
Superb work. It confirms what most skeptics suspected and the FOX news team seemed uninterested in figuring out. BTW, is FOX interested in presenting this or are they just going to ignore the explanation?

Last edited by Astrophotographer; 20th November 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Astrophotographer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 11:00 AM   #124
bryan
Scholar

They are looking for more "experts" to confirm the story as they presented it.

If anyone knows of an Entomologist or video production that would be willing to consult on this ongoing mess please have them contact us.
bryan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 12:10 PM   #125
smartcooky
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Astrophotographer View Post
Superb work. It confirms what most skeptics suspected and the FOX news team seemed uninterested in figuring out. BTW, is FOX interested in presenting this or are they just going to ignore the explanation?
Ahhhh, Errr, let me see! The latter I expect!
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 12:14 PM   #126
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

We have done some work at the location of the "UFO" video, here is a report of our findings (sorry no little green men)

www.rockymountainparanormal.com/foxufo
Did the reporter really reply in all caps?
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 01:05 PM   #127
bryan
Scholar

Yes she did... It has been blamed on the software that the station uses. (it defaults to caps)
bryan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 03:14 PM   #128
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Typo in the conclusion.
Morgan Freeman does the voice-over on all my posts.
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 03:28 PM   #129
Dan O.
Penultimate Amazing

They are looking for more "experts" to confirm the story as they presented it.

If anyone knows of an Entomologist or video production that would be willing to consult on this ongoing mess please have them contact us.

Technically, nobody should have to prove that any fuzzy photo is not a UFO. The burden should be on the other side to prove that this is not an insect, airplane, rock or trickery.

This of course is FOX. They will claim that they just report the news, they don't judge it. The question that needs to be asked, not to FOX but to their viewers, is: "What has FOX done to rule out possible mundane explanations?" The correct answer is: "not much."
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 06:57 PM   #130
jadebox
Graduate Poster

After work today, I told my wife about the "UFOs over Denver."

Later, one of our cats was running around after something that flew in the door. My wife said, "Look, she's chasing a UFO!"

-- Roger
Old 21st November 2012, 01:23 AM   #131
shayes666
Scholar

And our local Denver FOX affiliate goes even further down the rabbit hole with this abysmal "follow up"

http://kdvr.com/2012/11/20/insect-ex...ain-a-mystery/
shayes666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 06:04 AM   #132
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by shayes666 View Post
And our local Denver FOX affiliate goes even further down the rabbit hole with this abysmal "follow up"

http://kdvr.com/2012/11/20/insect-ex...ain-a-mystery/
"Imaginative reporter Heidi Hemmat".
Morgan Freeman does the voice-over on all my posts.
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 06:57 AM   #133
Steve001
Muse

This is likely what the entomologist is referring to. Like I said earlier. There are two, maybe three different objects that show up in this vid. The problem for some viewers is they are conflating that all the objects are the same objects including the entomologist.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 07:10 AM   #134
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

So, just so that we're all clear, it now seems that insects cannot show up on film as out-of-focus blobs. An entemologist said so, so it must be true.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 07:19 AM   #135
Biscuit
Philosopher

Quote:
“After watching the various shots, I do not believe it’s an insect. The shape is inconsistent with an insect,” she said.
I statement I agree with if you are just looking at insects in front of you. What should out of focus single digital frames of insects look like?

They move erratically like bugs do in a field where bugs should be and no actual craft of any kind have been seen. Everything points to bugs although we can still call them UFO's it it makes people happy.
Old 21st November 2012, 07:27 AM   #136
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04187561_n.jpg
This is likely what the entomologist is referring to. Like I said earlier. There are two, maybe three different objects that show up in this vid. The problem for some viewers is they are conflating that all the objects are the same objects including the entomologist.
The first highlighted part is pure speculation with your own bias.

The second part is also wrong. I said from the very beginning that it is likely multiple bugs even different types at varying distances.

Those images are out of focus and contain digital artifacts that degrade as the video is transfered from one medium to another. We have no idea what generation of this digital image we are seeing. Just freezing a frame and saying, "that doesn't look like a bug!" isn't very helpful.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:20 AM   #137
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Probably the only way to kill this is with a high speed camera that will clearly show what the "fast" objects are.

"Rods" don't look like insects until you catch them properly in the frame.

http://www.opendb.com/sol/seq.htm

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:24 AM   #138
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04187561_n.jpg
Until that object is clearly captured in the frame, one should probably stick with the most likely explanations, and not invent things.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:42 AM   #139
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Bugs... in and out of focus...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-Hummingbird&Insects-01.jpg (75.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 8-JaggedEdgedSaddleBags-01.jpg (54.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 8-Doin'it-01.jpg (110.1 KB, 2 views)
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 11:00 AM   #140
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

So sad that they always bring in the bug expert that gives them what they want. They are probably only showing them one single frame or a brief clip. If they did what the Rocky Mountain group did, the probablem would be solved. My guess is that most bug experts have not observed videos of bugs very often. They are not familiar with how a video camera records them under these conditions (I am sure they are very familiar with how professional cameras that are focused on the bug activities look).
Astrophotographer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal