ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags critical thinking , recommended books

Old 22nd October 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Character Assassin
New Blood

Know any good books on critical thinking?

Do you have any suggestions on any books I should read to improve my critical thinking skills?
Character Assassin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Reivax
Critical Thinker

The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan
How To Think About Weird Things - Schick & Vaugh
The Bible
Were picked in advance
By some careful hand
With an absolute concept of beauty
Reivax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:03 AM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

All depends on what sort of critical thinking you need to improve. You could look at books by James Randi.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...andi%2Caps%2C0

Or maybe you need to look at a site like this one
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/taxonomy.html?ref=nf

Or how to win arguments
http://www.wikihow.com/Win-Informal-...ts-and-Debates
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:22 AM   #4
John Albert
Illuminator

One of my favorites for critically examining stats and other mathematical claims: http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis.../dp/0393310728

It's also available in PDF form here: http://theinformationdj.com/wp-conte...rrell-Huff.pdf
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Quinn
Breathtakingly blasphemous.

Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins.
It's not a matter of living life without mystery or wonder. It's a matter of living life without the approval of people who ignorantly assume that by rejecting the irrational, I experience no mystery or wonder. And frankly, I do just fine without that.
Quinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved makes an excellent introduction without looking like it.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
spin0
Graduate Poster

Oldie but goldie: Straight and Crooked Thinking by Robert H. Thouless

You can find it at Neglected Books: http://neglectedbooks.com/?p=336
I like the review: Although there are many other texts on applying logic to argument, Straight and Crooked Thinking remains one of the most succinct and practically-applicable books ever written. One blogger named it as his favorite book of all time, describing it as “a concise work of supreme genius.”
spin0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 06:41 AM   #8
angrysoba
Philosophile

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre is pretty good.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 05:23 AM   #9
SkepticalDrew
Critical Thinker

I started with Demon-Haunted World by Sagan. I also found Fads and Fallacies by Martin Gardner to be a great start as well. It's a little dated, but many of the methods and claims used by psuedoscientists it describes are still quite relevant today.

My favorite dealing with math is Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and It's Consequences by John Allen Paulos.
Old 25th October 2012, 05:50 AM   #10
asydhouse
Graduate Poster

Someone has already suggested this, but spelt an author's name wrong:

How To Think About Weird Things: Critical Thinking For A New Age

by Theodore Schick, Jr and Lewis Vaughn.

This is a tremendous book, clear and a pleasure to read. You can really learn to use your brain effectively by studying this book.

asydhouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Reivax
Critical Thinker

My apologies for incorrectly spelling the authors name! But yes, an amazing book!
Were picked in advance
By some careful hand
With an absolute concept of beauty
Reivax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 01:05 AM   #12
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Thinking fast and slow - Daniel Kahneman
Old 16th November 2012, 04:30 AM   #13
Wudang
BOFH

One I continually recommend is A Rulebook for Arguments - separating your premises from your conclusion and all the good basic stuff.
Old 17th November 2012, 06:43 PM   #14
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Another oldie but goldie:
Quote:
Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds is a history of popular folly by Scottish journalist Charles Mackay, first published in 1841.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraor...ness_of_Crowds
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
The Duck that Won the Lottery (and 99 Other Bad Arguments) by Julian Baggini.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RQKP416VQ3GBM
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 08:29 AM   #16
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

'Against All Gods' by A C Grayling. I had it recommended. It's really clear, unlike some of his other work which my reader and I have tried to follow, but gave up! It's quite a short book too.

'The Magic of Reality' by Richard Dawkins. this is definitely aimed at youngsters and is therefore straightforward and clear. As it's written by RD, I have of course decided to read it. (Above-mentioned reader reads a few pages each time as a change from the novel we're on.)
Old 24th November 2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Elind

A golden oldie, "Lateral Thinking" by DeBono.
Elind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 04:25 PM   #18
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
The Duck that Won the Lottery (and 99 Other Bad Arguments) by Julian Baggini.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RQKP416VQ3GBM
How much did the duck win?
Old 24th November 2012, 10:47 PM   #19
ria_rokz
Muse

Originally Posted by asydhouse View Post
Someone has already suggested this, but spelt an author's name wrong:

How To Think About Weird Things: Critical Thinking For A New Age

by Theodore Schick, Jr and Lewis Vaughn.

This is a tremendous book, clear and a pleasure to read. You can really learn to use your brain effectively by studying this book.

I ended up receiving this book for free and I really enjoyed it.

<insert original, funny, and thought-provoking quote here>
ria_rokz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 07:22 AM   #20
Hokulele Mom
Critical Thinker

Thomas Kida Don't Believe Everything You Think
Old 17th June 2013, 07:06 PM   #21
76794p
Student

Originally Posted by Hokulele Mom View Post
X2. Reading it for a critical thinking class.
76794p is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2013, 02:21 AM   #22
stevea
Graduate Poster

Sagan's support for the Drake eqn as probabilification of extraterrestrial intelligence disqualifies him as a skeptical/critical thinker. A grade-schooler should be able to decimate that argument.

I don't think books that demolish specific claims, like the Bermuda Triangle have sufficient generality to be of much value in gaining critical thinking skills. A 5 page synopsis of a dozen such books might be more useful. OTOH I expect that some of these books are a disconnected set of homilies tha tpoint to no general principles either.

FWIW I did enjoy Paulos ' Innumeracy: ...' mentioned above.

So I'll suggest the books noted above on debate skills and general critical thinking might be a better place to begin. Formal debate is a bit different from logical argumentation, but close enough to apply widely.

Parsing in argument in detail is a required skill, and practice is critical. Parsing political arguments (see your favorite cable news network for examples) is useful practice. I find some politicians statements easier to deal with since they are often presenting positions and not as often rebutting to vague and uncertain positions.
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Humes fork
Banned

The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins, especially for children/teenagers.

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Sagan's support for the Drake eqn as probabilification of extraterrestrial intelligence disqualifies him as a skeptical/critical thinker. A grade-schooler should be able to decimate that argument.
One strike and you are out?

I think Sagan did worse when he went doomsday about oil fields in Kuwait, very likely motivated by political reasons.

But overall he was a good guy.
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2013, 01:49 AM   #24
dann
Illuminator

Richard Lewontin's collection It Ain't Necessarily So - in particular The Inferiority Complex, the first essay/review of Stephen Jay Gould's book The Mismeasure of Man.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2013, 02:06 PM   #25
aofl
Muse

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved makes an excellent introduction without looking like it.
Seconded.

This was an early influence on me and I think it's something I might reread.

A
Old 26th June 2013, 12:13 PM   #26
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.skepdic.com/ticriticalthinking.html

I can't recommend Bob's dictionary enough. When I first came across his site, I was looking for info on the Mayan "prophecies".

I quickly became an addict and read the whole thing over a few weeks. I learned more than I ever thought I could from a single source. It is also how I got introduced to Mr. Randi's foundation and forum.

His replies to e-mails are also priceless for their entertainment value.
Old 26th June 2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

I recommend Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things.
Old 25th July 2013, 11:43 AM   #28
Natural Born Skeptic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hokulele Mom View Post
+1, it's outstanding. And it's written in such a way that it helps the reader to be more aware of areas they may fall prone to bad thinking.

IMHO some of the books being listed in this thread may exhibit critical thinking, but they have little to do with teaching it.
Natural Born Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education