ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bigfoot merchandising , Bryan Sykes , jeffrey meldrum , Melba Ketchum

Old 23rd November 2012, 05:59 PM   #441
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
What is the independent documentation that any gun was discharged? Is this all about people believing what other people said?
It sure seems it, I think it is all BS. But it is fun talking about it
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:03 PM   #442
Jodie
Master Poster

What is the independent documentation that any gun was discharged? Is this all about people believing what other people said?
It is what Bipto said in the OP thread on the BFF, assuming you can trust what he is telling about what happens out there. You'ld have to look to see if there was any complaints of firearms discharged in the area in the middle of the night to be sure, assuming anyone would report that as a nuisance. Considering that he also said that some of the participants had elephant guns, I would imagine it would attract notice if it didn't sound like other firearms.

Last edited by Jodie; 23rd November 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:09 PM   #443
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
It is what Bipto said in the OP thread on the BFF, assuming you can trust what he is telling about what happens out there. You'ld have to look to see if there was any complaints of firearms discharged in the area in the middle of the night to be sure, assuming anyone would report that as a nuisance. Considering that he also said that some of the participants had elephant guns, I would imagine it would attract notice if it didn't sound like other firearms.
I thought you would have already confirmed all those things before telling the JREF that guns were fired.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:11 PM   #444
Jodie
Master Poster

Well I guess I failed, INFJ's are not good with details, and when they are focused on them it's usually the most unimportant ones.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:19 PM   #445
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I thought you would have already confirmed all those things before telling the JREF that guns were fired.
Is this an Investigation ??? Perhaps we should all just quit posting until we all have better certain proof of the lies we can't prove cause of all the lies from the perpetrators of this hoax.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:29 PM   #446
GT/CS
Illuminator

Reading Bipto's responses over there makes we wonder how anyone can believe any of it. He's obviously making it up as he goes along.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:35 PM   #447
DennyT
Master Poster

I have to admit I never got into all of the gory detail about what a bigfoot would need but I do know a bit about physiology and what a body, any body, would need based on it's size. Grizzlies might have ranged all over the area in certain seasons but I bet they stayed near water sources during the drier months. Everything needs water. When ABP was looking at the potential site I didn't see that it was close to a lake or any rivers, if he is right about the area, then it has to be a person responsible for everything because it's too far away from a steady water supply. That means other animals that could be misidentified would limit their range also for the same reason.
gorillas in the wild rarely drink water because of the amount of fluid contained in their diet. That is a fact.

Of course, the "bigfoot" of popular folklore needs none, because it isn't a real animal. It's a fiction.

One can make up anything about a mythical beast and never be proven wrong. "Bigfoot" might be postulated to need 200 gallons a day, or none. Depends on what the bleever needs. No one knows, because there is nothing to know. .. Need a bigfoot to swim? no problem. Need bigfoot to throw rocks? no problem. Need bigfoot to have a language? no problem.

Jodie, I really wonder why you seem to continue treating this mythical beast as if it were a real animal. Bigfoot lives only in the minds of the bleevers. (that would make a good Tshirt...)

Last edited by DennyT; 23rd November 2012 at 06:37 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:37 PM   #448
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Reading Bipto's responses over there makes we wonder how anyone can believe any of it. He's obviously making it up as he goes along.
His posts are based on people trusting him ( and they do ) so he has the advantage, sure can't get any real answers from the guy, so it will go on until he or one of his team slips up, or someone from the BFF steps up and calls this out without getting banned for blasphemy.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:40 PM   #449
Jodie
Master Poster

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
gorillas in the wild rarely drink water because of the amount of fluid contained in their diet. That is a fact.

Of course, the "bigfoot" of popular folklore needs none, because it isn't a real animal. It's a fiction.

One can make up anything about a mythical beast and never be proven wrong. "Bigfoot" might be postulated to need 200 gallons a day, or none. Depends on what the bleever needs. No one knows, because there is nothing to know. .. Need a bigfoot to swim? no problem. Need bigfoot to throw rocks? no problem. Need bigfoot to have a language? no problem.

Jodie, I really wonder why you seem to continue treating this mythical beast as if it were a real animal. Bigfoot lives only in the minds of the bleevers. (that would make a good Tshirt...)
I agree but I tend to notice the inconsistencies with what they promote as fact. If bigfoot was eating all of the vegetation needed to support himself to justify the lack of fluid intake it would be obvious.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:44 PM   #450
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

This is what sends me to the floor LMAO, Think of a situation no matter how bleak! and BF can do it. hahahahahaha
I wish the Japanese had a tv show about BF back in the 60s like the old "Ultraman" it would have been a blast.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:57 AM   #451
The Shrike
Master Poster

Oh I'm sure I made the case multiple times on the BFF that bigfoots would have to be at least facultatively "riparian". So? Are there no other riparian species in the South because it gets pretty hot there sometimes?

Animals move. If there's a family of bigfoots at the Operation Persistence cabin - and they can avoid months of surveillance and 7(!) attempts on their lives from the consummate professionals involved in that debacle endeavor - then I'm sure such creatures are capable of walking downhill for a bit to get a drink when they need one.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 07:44 AM   #452
Jodie
Master Poster

But a "bit" is a good little distance from a stable water source, Shrike, based on where ABP pin pointed the likely spot for the location of OP, unless of course their wood ape is more akin to a goat. <sarcasm> Besides the obvious absurdity of the whole situation, their claims of constant activity aren't realistic for that reason IMO.

The riparian species here hug the water sources in extreme heat, that's all I'm saying, then they start moving in October (both bear and deer) when rainfall picks up. North Georgia, where there are a high number of bigfoot sightings, has the same set of circumstances; climate, elevations, and drought issues, yet their sightings dwindle in the summer months. In my mind that makes misidentification of deer and bear less likely as an out for an excuse and hoaxing by the members or outsiders more likely.
Old 24th November 2012, 08:48 AM   #453
Sonny2
Muse

A bunch of posts got moved somewhere or deleted. Where'd they go??
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:00 AM   #454
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Right here ~http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=248283
Old 24th November 2012, 09:14 AM   #455
Sonny2
Muse

Well, OK. Thanks, Slo
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:44 AM   #456
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker

...while I was still giving Kathy the benefit of the doubt...
Please elaborate. You were quite offended when I dismissed Kathy's claims as an out and out lie. If you no longer give Kathy the benefit of the doubt, just [i]what[i] do you think of her claim now?
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:45 AM   #457
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
I totally agree and am baffled why anyone would think this is an elaborate 3rd party hoax.
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 11:25 AM   #458
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Mod WarningI've moved some posts discussing Ketchum and her bigfoot DNA 'paper' to the Bigfoot DNA thread. Please keep that discussion in that thread. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
Posted By:LashL
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 11:31 AM   #459
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
This is kind of old news, but funny in a British sort of way:

http://www.popehat.com/2012/06/21/if...-does-he-have/

This could not stand. Johnsen had no choice but to defend his reputation. Duels having sadly fallen out of favor — for let me assure you, a duel between experienced Bigfoot hunters is a thing of grave and terrible majesty

One dark night, in the middle of the day.
Two dead footers went out to play.
Back to back, they faced one another,
Drew their swords and shot one another.
A deaf policeman heard the noise,
And came to kill! The two dead boys.
If you don't believe my stories true,
Ask the blind man...He saw it too.

http://quizilla.teennick.com/poems/1...e-of-the-night
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 11:55 AM   #460
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
"Do bears carry their own canteens?"

Not canteens, Camelbaks.

I saw a picture of a bear out in the desert - it was stuck in a pothole trying to get a drink from what little water was in there. Some hikers helped it get out with a long branch.

If bears can navigate the desert, then surely Bigfoot can live in the Ouachitas.*

(*Footer logic)
Big foot is an all weather, all terrain animal.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 01:53 PM   #461
DennyT
Master Poster

more on the NY story:
Quote:
.... this case shows us exactly what Bigfoot is about. Commercialization. It benefits Wiemer’s tourist and conference business for a segment of the population to believe in Bigfoot. It drivers viewers to watch Animal Planet’s nonsensical Finding Bigfoot.

The whole thing began in 1958 with a logger wanting to scare off thieves of his equipment. He soon realized the phenomenon was good business.

There’s one born every minute ….
Old 24th November 2012, 03:24 PM   #462
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Big foot is an all weather, all terrain animal.
No, interdimensional and like pancakes, but then who doesnt like pancakes?
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 03:28 PM   #463
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
No, interdimensional and like pancakes, but then who doesnt like pancakes?
apparently this guy:

https://www.facebook.com/pancakes.suck
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 04:04 PM   #464
Castro
Critical Thinker

more on the NY story:
It made me laugh, but actually I find it rather sad.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 04:14 PM   #465
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
touche!
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 07:09 PM   #466
Sonny2
Muse

Where did the pancakes and garlic stories get started, anyway? Some habituation story?
Old 24th November 2012, 07:32 PM   #467
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Janice Carter said her BF friend " fox" liked them. She was a blast to talk with, I think you would have liked her ~ Sonny ~ you have the right kind of
Demeanor and she would have taken to Ya
Old 24th November 2012, 07:35 PM   #468
Jodie
Master Poster

I wonder if she made it up or if she really saw Fox? Kind of like Jimmy Stewart's Harvey that was 6'4".
Old 24th November 2012, 07:42 PM   #469
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

You have to check her claim out, it is a pretty good read, here is one site that I have always liked but there are a few more, it was a really big deal back in the day.
http://www.prairieghosts.com/carter_farm.html
Old 24th November 2012, 07:43 PM   #470
Sonny2
Muse

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
Janice Carter said her BF friend " fox" liked them. She was a blast to talk with, I think you would have liked her ~ Sonny ~ you have the right kind of
Demeanor and she would have taken to Ya
LOL, I hope that's a compliment.
Old 24th November 2012, 07:47 PM   #471
StankApe
Banned

I remember seeing her on a few old documentaries doing her "fox" voice and such, she was obviously suffering from schizophrenia. I think she believed what she was seeing at first, and then embellished it more because it got her attention. (I was convinced Sasfooty was Janice for the longest time. same demeanor and descriptions).
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 07:51 PM   #472
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Yes it is I got along with her very well, you just had to play along and be nice, most we're just too abrasive and smart ass so she would not talk at all.
Her story is worth reading cause it helps one understand the BF beelevers mind set.
Old 24th November 2012, 07:58 PM   #473
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
(I was convinced Sasfooty was Janice for the longest time. same demeanor and descriptions).
I thought the same also at times. I don't think she was but as you know on this thing it can be hard, JC made many references to Indian culture and such, I don't remember SF using stuff like that, JC seemed to have more of a child's kinda mind, very simple and playful, lot's like fantasy.
Old 24th November 2012, 08:01 PM   #474
Sonny2
Muse

Interesting article, Slocie's.

Why would a researcher invest 3000 dollars to feed unseen creatures? Why would a researcher claim to use the Jane Goodall approach without having subjects to study? How could an untrained individual translate an unknown language with abstract ideas? How could there be not one clear photograph? And other than a witness or two, how could an entire county, including police and close neighbors, never, in fifty years, see a bigfoot? How could a bigfoot clan live, breed, eat and die in this open location without leaving scores of undeniable evidence?
Old 24th November 2012, 09:10 PM   #475
COGrizzly
Scholar

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Oh I'm sure I made the case multiple times on the BFF that bigfoots would have to be at least facultatively "riparian". So? Are there no other riparian species in the South because it gets pretty hot there sometimes?

Animals move. If there's a family of bigfoots at the Operation Persistence cabin - and they can avoid months of surveillance and 7(!) attempts on their lives from the consummate professionals involved in that debacle endeavor - then I'm sure such creatures are capable of walking downhill for a bit to get a drink when they need one.
Haven't seen you over at the BFF at all on this latest thingy. I'd certainly like to see a comment or 2 from you. Because I truly respect your opinion.

Seen this sort of thing many times before and am certainly not "accepting" anything....until I see a body.
COGrizzly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:24 PM   #476
Sonny2
Muse

Grizz has seen a lot of supposed proof over on BFF and ain't taking any chances - he's a wise man.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #477
jerrywayne
Muse

I wonder if she made it up or if she really saw Fox? Kind of like Jimmy Stewart's Harvey that was 6'4".
Six foot, three and a half. Let's stick to the facts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfXvW2wsuQ

Last edited by jerrywayne; 24th November 2012 at 09:44 PM.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:48 PM   #478
Jodie
Master Poster

LOLOL....ok I will give you a 1/2 inch.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:13 PM   #479
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I am sure the web site hits are way up for the BHB ( BigfootHybridBeelevers)

Wonder if sales of BF toys and such are doing better ? Think "Fisher Price" Or "Amazon" Etc : Have seen an increase just in time for the Christmas Season.

Last edited by RedRatSnake; 26th November 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:16 PM   #480
Sonny2
Muse

I heard the ACLU is trying to contact them about making sure their rights aren't being violated...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal