ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th November 2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Dessi
Species Traitor

Vespa - good investment?

I drive a Ford F150, which I absolutely <3, but get around 17 mpg (7.2 km/liter). I bought it with the expectation that I will tow a camper or a small house.

I'd like something more efficient, for short trips to work, grocery store, movie theatre, other places within a few miles from home. I'd normally take my bike around, but the part of Omaha I'm in is very unfriendly for cyclists. Lately, I've been thinking about Vespas and other inexpensive mopeds. I haven't made any decisions to purchase, mostly just reaching out for opinions, and oogling endless retro and vintage style bikes.

Anyone own a Vespa, or moped? How do they compare to motorcycles? And are they worth it? Safety? Under $2000, up to 40 mph (64 km/h) would be great
Old 26th November 2012, 06:58 PM   #2
StankApe
Banned

My most recent ex GF is craving a Vespa (so I have spent a good bit of time looking into them)

IMO, stick to the mid level models, and make sure there is a mechanic who works on them nearby (italian means performance, not reliability after all).

If you are cool with a 45-60 mph max speed and looking very cool, I'd say go for it! The get good mileage and will putt you around town very well (not something I'd be trucking on down an interstate on however)

this is a nice model (and can be found used for $2000-$3000)

Last edited by StankApe; 26th November 2012 at 07:00 PM.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
macdoc
Philosopher

Burgman 400 would be a far better choice for that purpose. Much more robust and loads of storage and you can ride at full highway speeds.

ask you questions here.
http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/

I've done 1,000 km days on my 650 exec and it holds 4 bags of groceries. Figure on 60 mpg or so and very nice handling. Vespas are fine for small European cities.

Maxis are far better in North America. BMW just entered the category with a pair of 650s.

But 400 Burgman's are solid machines and can be had for a decent price point.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/245/79...irst-Ride.aspx
I've ridden mcycles for 45 years and the 650 Burgman is the best all around machine I've owned.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:26 PM   #4
StankApe
Banned

The Japanese make some excellent models too. But let's be honest here, none of them have the cool factor of a real Vespa!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dessi View Post
I drive a Ford F150, which I absolutely <3, but get around 17 mpg (7.2 km/liter). I bought it with the expectation that I will tow a camper or a small house.

I'd like something more efficient, for short trips to work, grocery store, movie theatre, other places within a few miles from home. I'd normally take my bike around, but the part of Omaha I'm in is very unfriendly for cyclists. Lately, I've been thinking about Vespas and other inexpensive mopeds. I haven't made any decisions to purchase, mostly just reaching out for opinions, and oogling endless retro and vintage style bikes.

Anyone own a Vespa, or moped? How do they compare to motorcycles? And are they worth it? Safety? Under $2000, up to 40 mph (64 km/h) would be great
Before you invest the money in a scooter/motorcycle, do yourself a huge favor and attend your local Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner rider class

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

The difference between the risk to life and limb riding scooters/mopeds/motorcycles is nil, and the begineers class will give you a basic understanding of the skills involved and mental preperation and attitude needed to ride safely on the street.

If you have any difficulty in focusing soely on the task at hand and compartmentalizing different physical tasks with both hands and both feet simultaneously, it's better to find out in the MSF class under controlled conditions than on the street.

On the joy of riding, it's very cool and cuts across every societal line, and where I run there are whole platoons of fast females that get to run right with the boys as equals - skill is the ultimate tool of equality.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Delvo
Philosopher

Would you lose a bunch of money by selling the truck and buying a car? That could also help a lot, and you could still have car+scooter just as well as truck+scooter.

I wouldn't want a moped, but I do have a scooter, after doing some shopping around and test riding.

There are various scooter manufacturers. Why did you pick Vespa? Is it the only one with a store near you?

I found that there are mainly two classes of scooter: those with a 50cc engine and those with a 125cc-150cc engine. There are a few bigger than that, but mostly there's a gap until about 250 or 300, and anything from there up is not a scooter anymore but a standard motorcycle, and priced like it, so I'm ignoring them for the moment. The class with the smallest engines is generally said to have a top speed around 40 MPH, while the bigger ones' top speed is around 60.

But don't get one with a top speed close to the speed you expect to ride at. Just like with cars or trucks, reaching top speed is a lot of strain for the engine and the steering gets unstable (more so with two wheels than four). The top speed is always going to be higher than the speed that the machine is really designed to be used at. So whatever speed you'll need to reach routinely, you need a machine whose top speed is significantly above that. I routinely ride up to 40-45 MPH and have been slightly over 50 once or twice, on a 150cc scooter that probably could go over 60 if I pushed it, precisely because I do NOT want to push it.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:59 PM   #7
macdoc
Philosopher

Quote:
Before you invest the money in a scooter/motorcycle, do yourself a huge favor and attend your local Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner rider class
Yup +1

Lots of women to chat with on the Burgman USA site. and it's FUN!!!!!! I'm 65 and still out running around the forest tracks in Australia in the winter and the Pennsylvania twisties in the summer.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Lowpro
Philosopher

Great investment for hipsters >.>
Old 26th November 2012, 09:08 PM   #9
macdoc
Philosopher

Quote:
d anything from there up is not a scooter anymore but a standard motorcycle, and priced like it,
There is a significant difference in the maxi scooters which range 400 to 850 and standard mcycles in that the maxi's have smaller wheels and are automatic.
That's a big plus for them in traffic and learning curve.

The maxi's certainly can be even more expensive in the top end than many motorcycles - mine was $15k new but I picked it up for $7k with very little mileage on it. They are about 80% sport tourer and 20% town run about ....the Aprilla 850 will go 140 mph and my Exec will get to 100 mph right quick in sports mode. The new BMWs the same or or more.

The better Euro scoots 150-250 and the 400 Burgman used are pretty much the same pricing. With automatic, big storage and disc brakes and even ABS the 400 is a very safe and competent machine yet they go in the $3k-4k used. A 150-250 Euroscoot can easily cruise at 50-60 mph.
The Burgman at 60-70 with a top end nudging 100.
The Euroscoots will be more agile in town and lighter but more expensive to fix.

I''d find a local scooter group and chit chat.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Dessi
Species Traitor

Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
Great investment for hipsters >.>
Sold!
Old 26th November 2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Delvo
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
attend your local Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner rider class
I didn't know about MSF, but did take a free class offered by my state's DOT. They supply the motorcycles, so it's possible to do the class without needing to buy one yourself first (and then possibly end up deciding it's not for you).

Class motorcycles are bound to be harder to handle than scooters, not only because they're bigger and heavier but also because they have manual transmissions. That will make everything you do in class much harder there than its counterpart would later be in real life for a scooter-rider, just because in real life you won't be wrestling with a machine that seems to desperately want to prevent you from doing what you want to do. So don't be discouraged by how hard the class motorcycles make everything in class!
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:39 PM   #12
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I didn't know about MSF, but did take a free class offered by my state's DOT. They supply the motorcycles, so it's possible to do the class without needing to buy one yourself first (and then possibly end up deciding it's not for you).

Class motorcycles are bound to be harder to handle than scooters, not only because they're bigger and heavier but also because they have manual transmissions. That will make everything you do in class much harder there than its counterpart would later be in real life for a scooter-rider, just because in real life you won't be wrestling with a machine that seems to desperately want to prevent you from doing what you want to do. So don't be discouraged by how hard the class motorcycles make everything in class!
Years back in my neck of the woods, MSF used very small bikes that were user friendly, and some scooters were available as well.

The basic skill set between various single track vehicles are very similar, and learning the basics on a proper bike won't hinder the developement of the basic skills involved for riding a scooter etc.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:46 AM   #13
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Some alumni donated a cute little red Vespa (50cc) model to our department. The chief was all enthused about it, but we found it problematic for our purposes. Not "slow enough" for inner-campus footpath patrol, too vulnerable for cruising the parking lots...

We gave it to the off-campus patrol folks, who wouldn't ride it either; afraid to use it in heavy traffic on the nearby "loop", and scary to ride through congested alleyways at night.
Everyone preferred the bicycle for such purposes.

Great for everyday short-haul transportation though. One caveat... Learn to do your own mechanicing on the thing. We called out the Vespa guy to change a flat tire... 60 bucks.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:56 AM   #14
casebro
Philosopher

I'd like something more efficient, for short trips to work, grocery store, movie theater, other places within a few miles from home.....
The draw backs make it unprofitable. Lessee, 2,000 miles per year in the truck takes110 gallona, lets say $400. Savings of 3/4 = $300?

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:03 AM   #15
Voodoosix
Thinker

i grabbed an ET4 when they first came back to the states, good bike and i plan on getting a GTV in the next year.

a couple things to keep in mind are- they go through rear tires pretty quickly, and the there isnt much room in the monocoque engine area for knuckles + wrenches.
Voodoosix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:20 AM   #16
roger
Penultimate Amazing

To continue in the vein of the last few posts, to figure out the economics you need to factor in all the additional costs of a scooter. There is the purchase price, much more expensive and frequent maintenance, another insurance bill each month. I haven't done the math for you, but I doubt you will find it is a win. I thought about getting a motorcycle again for commuting out here, but the economics don't make sense - spending thousands to save hundreds. A quick google gives "I'm astonished that my Vespa has higher maintenance costs than my Porsche Boxter."

Of course, if you can change your own oil, check the valves, replace belts, and so on, it'll be a lot cheaper. But figure $100 or so a year on tires, $50 or so on oil, then I dunno, 50-100 a year on longer term stuff (belts, brakes, and so on). Say $400 a year amortized purchase price. What's insurance cost? Against the $300 savings estimated above on gas (plus a bit more for the incremental change in maintenance costs of the truck)? That's not a winner.

Then if you really want to think of it as an "investment", you have to consider risk costs. Spin out on a patch of gravel? That'll cost you your deductable on the truck (if you even care if a body panel is dented). On the scooter? Oh, hospital time, time off work, pain, and so on.

Do it because it's fun, not because it's cheaper.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir

Last edited by roger; 27th November 2012 at 07:28 AM.
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:32 AM   #17
macdoc
Philosopher

Yes fun is the key but the Burgman 400 will not have the frequent maintenance of the smaller scoots. You'd likely ride it for 5 years without anything beyond a couple of oil changes given your local riding.
All scoots go through tires - again the 14 and 15" less so than the smaller units.

With the exception of tires ( I get 15-20k km from a rear ) and one battery - I have 50,000 km on two 650s without a single issue of any sort - and the battery was due to be replaced after 5 years. Some of those km were 1,000 in a day and a trip up The James Bay Road.
Suzuki makes them well and they are detuned from the mcycle versions of the engine - which is compensated by the CVT tranny. Few sports bikes will take a Burgman 650 off the line which makes them fun but the lower HP makes them reliable.

The nice treat for the OP is she could tour cross country with the Burgman 400 with ease. If the weather is right in the area - the OP could lose the truck entirely and just rent a car on the few occasions needed.
Many do these days.
Old 27th November 2012, 08:24 AM   #18
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Where do you get a Burgman 400 for under $2000?

I'm seeing 3500-5000 used, on craigslist. How many miles does it take to break even taking only mpg into account? My math says between 24K and 34K, depending on purchase price.

Certainly selling the truck changes the economics. But a scooter doesn't seem like the best choice for a NE winter.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:06 AM   #19
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Thinking a bit about the above, I would say some of this depends on what facilities you have to put another vehicle in. I'm assuming there is enough reason to keep the truck that you don't want simply to trade it in on a little station wagon or something. But could you get a little car instead of a scooter? If you could afford a little car, some econobox, you'd be able to drive it any time of the year with a passenger or a big box of stuff, where you'll pretty much have to set the scooter aside on icy, snowy, and rainy days and occasions when you have cargo. Of course, it's not the same kind of fun by far, and if what you want is a scooter, then scoot. If you keep the truck and insure two vehicles, economy will be mostly in how you feel anyway. It will take you quite a while just to cover the cost of a proper helmet.

I must confess to a bit of prejudice here, having been nearly killed, and permanently handicapped, on a bicycle in a normally bike-friendly area this year, but if the area you're in is not bike-friendly, I would be a little concerned about scooters too. Bad habits relative to small vehicles on two wheels may not go away just because it has a motor. Back some years ago when I rode a motorcycle, there were a small but significant bunch of drivers who were either unaware or unwilling to acknowledge that a motorcycle owns a whole lane of its road, and passed it as if it were a bicycle, and badly even for a bicycle. A motor helps, but you still have to keep an eye out all the time. It took many years of playing dodge-em cars before one got me, but it diminishes the fun pretty fast.

Of course, all this is utterly inconsequential if you are (as you are) young and footloose and want to have fun on a scooter. Take the course, get the helmet, do it carefully and have lots of fun.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 12:56 PM   #20
macdoc
Philosopher

MIssed the Omaha aspect. I did not say under $2k - I said $2-3k.

Just a quick glance at the BurgmanUSA site

Quote:
2007 Burgman 400 for sale, 11,000 miles, excellent condition, new tires on front and rear. Atlanta area, asking $3,200 email me at be@tds.net if you have interest, I can email you pictures if you like.
and that's a solid model.
Several on here lower than $3k

http://www.scooterfinds.com/suzuki-b...oters-for-sale
Old 27th November 2012, 12:59 PM   #21
dogjones
Graduate Poster

I have owned a Vespa LX50 for a few years now. (Scooters are primary mode of transport here in Bermuda). It's not bad and the engine at its core is reliable, but it does have its share of minor problems, as follows (these are possibly to do with the humid climate & sea air).

1. The fuel line wears out quickly. Piaggio uses low quality hoses. This stranded me once. I replaced all the hoses I could find with decent Honda ones and the problem hasn't recurred.
2. The electrics wear out quickly (and no, it's not the battery). I have no electric start now and it's not hugely cost effective to repair it. The headlight is often the first to go also - first the dip goes, then the whole thing goes along with the indicators. This is now repaired by the local shop (electrics are beyond the limits of my mechanical abilities), but still, no electric start, and now no speedometer.
3. A strange bit of the exhaust manifold eventually crumbled, resulting in the bike sounding like a recording of 20 elephants farting, spun through a reggae DJ's mashup sound system. The part was obscure and would have taken months to order. So a friendly mechanic did some unorthodox welding, bypassing the filter. Fine for Bermuda where we have no emissions standards, but possibly not fine for where you come from.
4. The bit that sticks out on the kickstand has now snapped, resulting in me having to put my toe on the stump and use interesting muscles which I never knew I had in order to park the bike. This, along with kickstarting every day (no electric start), has done fascinating things to the soles of my shoes. I'm varying the angle all the time, which uses more intriguing new muscles. It's a great workout!

Finally, because of the all the fancy fairing on these scooters, getting to the bits that need repairing (headlight, engine, etc) is all a bit of a nightmare.

Oh, and the indicators don't beep or click. So you may often find yourself putting merrily along with your indicators on. Unless you wire in a little speaker (not that difficult to do, but still)

Despite all this I have become rather attached to the bike. As I mentioned, the core engine is very reliable - it has never not started on me with the exception of when the fuel line went.

I nonetheless can't quite stretch to recommending the vespa I'm afraid. Before this I had a Honda Cub which lasted 13 years with nary a problem apart from tire wear, and would have lasted longer if it hadn't been stolen and totalled.

Get a Cub.
Old 28th November 2012, 04:22 PM   #22
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If your moped can't keep up with traffic then you will probably find Omaha just as hostile as you would on a push bike. Depending on the laws of your state, you might have to get a motorcycle licence to ride a bigger moped.

Another consideration is that unless you are a keen motorcyclist (with all the appropriate riding gear), you will probably find that if the weather is not ideal that the moped stays in the garage.

BTW a few years ago I had a Honda LEAD which I used to ride to and from work. It halved my fuel bill (saving about $20 per week) because I lived a long way from work. The saving should have been greater but two-stroke engines aren't all that economical. In future I would probably get a M/C with a 125 4-stroke engine.

Last edited by psionl0; 28th November 2012 at 04:31 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:44 PM   #23
Dessi
Species Traitor

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
The draw backs make it unprofitable. Lessee, 2,000 miles per year in the truck takes110 gallona, lets say $400. Savings of 3/4 = $300?
Cost aside, AWESOMENESS is also a criteria for buying a scooter
Old 28th November 2012, 07:07 PM   #24
casebro
Philosopher

My Ideal in Awesomeness is a Husqvarna 450 Desert Sled.

Vespa owners are merely trying to make their Geekdom Image = awsome.

Sort of like bragging about how low your I.Q. is. Or the "grunge" look.

A wise man once said "Vespas are like fat broads. Fun to ride until your friends find out." But I suppose, in modern lingo, some kind of pC, metrosexual could replace "fat broads".

But I guess I prefer a Bell 90 degree and leathers to a bow tie and slacks.

But really, I think we would be better to be judged by out accomplishments than by our affectations. I wear holy T shirts and greasy jeans. But I've carved carousel horses and restored trucks, and saved 2 lives by my situational awareness. I don't need your style of awsomeness.

Ditch the scooter, go out and live REAL life. Create something. Make a baby even. Then, don't buy it clothes with Penguins or pleats. Be a GOOD role model. Raise a human that grows to his full potential.

Do you want a Vespa to be your child's Acme?

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:12 PM   #25
StankApe
Banned

What's the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?

The location of the dirtbag!
Old 28th November 2012, 07:13 PM   #26
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

I could totally see you riding a Vespa with a cute little beret...although you really should wear a helmet.
Old 28th November 2012, 07:17 PM   #27
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

This might as well be your first criterion. Figure out what is most awesome and most likely to get you what you want out of the society you want, and season with practicality as necessary.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:20 PM   #28
StankApe
Banned

What Bruto said...

serial, you are gonna ride this for fun, and you want it to be stylish. No need to go haywire with all the technical jargon, or "this model is tough, that Vespa is lame " or any of that crap. Buy wtvr you like, in wtvr color you like! haters be damned! lol (I've always wanted to say that)
Old 28th November 2012, 07:23 PM   #29
Lowpro
Philosopher

If it needs awesomeness you should wear a hang glider while you ramp that baby up and take off!
Old 29th November 2012, 03:17 AM   #30
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

I've not got much of an opinion on the moped thing, but your truck gets truly horrid mileage. That 17mpg amounts to over 14 liters per hundred kilometers (14.2 liters per hundred, if you must know.) If you aren't actively using that truck for something that requires the use of a truck (pulling a trailer, carrying loads of stuff for use, etc.) then you are wasting a bitching lot of gasoline.

One thing about the moped does occur to me. They usually have two-stroke engines, so in addition to gasoline you have to mix in some oil. They also pollute more than you would think - also due to the oil in the gasoline.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #31
Tony99
Critical Thinker

What would be 'AWESOMENESS' is Dessi on a Harley Sportster. You can find a used one for about the same price as a new Vespa.

They are low slung close to the ground and easy to manage and maneuver. You can make it as annoying loud as you want and you get tons of lifestyle/street-cred points (good or bad) for having a Harley. You also get to spend paycheck after paycheck on accessories...gonna need new leathers, boots, Kaiser helmet, Harley office cube chotchkies.
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:27 AM   #32
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
My Ideal in Awesomeness is a Husqvarna 450 Desert Sled.

Vespa owners are merely trying to make their Geekdom Image = awsome.

Sort of like bragging about how low your I.Q. is. Or the "grunge" look.

A wise man once said "Vespas are like fat broads. Fun to ride until your friends find out." But I suppose, in modern lingo, some kind of pC, metrosexual could replace "fat broads".

But I guess I prefer a Bell 90 degree and leathers to a bow tie and slacks.

But really, I think we would be better to be judged by out accomplishments than by our affectations. I wear holy T shirts and greasy jeans. But I've carved carousel horses and restored trucks, and saved 2 lives by my situational awareness. I don't need your style of awsomeness.

Ditch the scooter, go out and live REAL life. Create something. Make a baby even. Then, don't buy it clothes with Penguins or pleats. Be a GOOD role model. Raise a human that grows to his full potential.

Do you want a Vespa to be your child's Acme?
I ride a modified and lightened 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa:

Exhaust system changed since this pic to a full titanium single sided system, dropped 40+ Lbs.

I've been riding sportbikes since 1985, went from HD's to track days and race schools.

The guy that gave me the worst ration of **** about "riding rice" I never saw on any type of bike, and I eventually asked him what he was riding.

Nothing. He wasn't a rider.

I don't care if you ride or not, but if Dessi or anybody else wants to get on two wheels with a motor and do it right, I don't care if it's a Vespa or a Confederate Hellcat, it's ok by me.

If they ride a Vespa because they think they're cool for doing so, or they want to get their knee down at the apex, or profile on an HD, it's all good if they do it safe.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:08 AM   #33
dogjones
Graduate Poster

Right then, get a dragon red Vespa with big Mod mirrors and a shiny silver grille on the front. Paint the RAF logo on the side, wire in an ipod dock with speakers under the seat, set to play Booker T's "Green Onions" over and over again.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:10 AM   #34
foxholeatheist
Graduate Poster

I bought a 62 VBB 150cc when I was high school from crated Vietnam for about 1300$. Cherry red two seats and the spare tire on the back (which I don't think was original). In fact, most of it was rebuilt, I never had any fuel line problems mentioned.

The pedal shifter took me some getting used to. I guess the winters in Omaha may make it a 3 season rider.

I rode that bad boy around the streets of Seoul for a few years and sold it to buy a bigger bike, a used Harley 1100 Sportster.

That thing increased my punk rock credibility by at least 100 points. Oh yeah, and girls always wanted a ride and they usually refused to wear a helmet because they didn't want to mess up their hair. I like a girl that is willing to risk their life in exchange for a little fun and vanity.

My Band!
The Heimlich County Gun Club
foxholeatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 05:33 AM   #35
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Vespa? You may as well buy a damn fixie, roll up the wrong pant leg and walk the bike everywhere.

Either way make sure you have glasses that look prescription but are actually just clear lenses, and don't forget to wear a sweater 3 sizes too small
Old 30th November 2012, 06:14 AM   #36
fagin
Graduate Poster

The Head Rule.
You should never eat anything bigger than your head, or ride anything with wheels smaller than your head.
Seriously.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:55 AM   #37
Delvo
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
The Head Rule.
You should never eat anything bigger than your head, or ride anything with wheels smaller than your head.
Seriously.
I think you're talking about one of the reasons why I said scooters shouldn't be ridden near their top speed, which I called getting "unstable" at the time. Bigger wheels generate more angular momentum, which means you get more gyroscopic stabilization. If I push my scooter too fast, I can definitely feel it starting to randomly go to one side or the other, and wind from the side feels like it's having a stronger effect. The faster you're going, the more you need that stabilization from big wheels. But I don't believe it's a problem for the wheel size of a typical 150cc scooter under about 40 or 45 MPH.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:23 AM   #38
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

I drive a Ford F150, which I absolutely <3, but get around 17 mpg (7.2 km/liter).
Just FYI: when it comes to gas mileage, converting miles to kilometers and gallons to liters doesn't help us Euros much. Our standard measure for gas consumption is liters consumed per 100 km (yours is 13.9 liters/100 km, which to us sounds like a horror story from years gone by).

I've never owned one, but Vespas do have the same "The Original Thing" coolness going for them as Harleys or vintage sports cars. They make models with 250-300 cc engines, and I think they can manage highway speeds (if only barely), even if something like 55 mph is probably pretty close to their top comfy travel speed.

I've tried a Vespa once, and for someone who's used to motorcycles, the experience was unsettling. Not having the fuel tank between your knees makes you feel like you're sitting on a stool traveling 50 mph. It was reasonably stable though, and the brakes were certainly adequate for the speeds that the vehicle was capable of.

Last edited by timhau; 30th November 2012 at 10:29 AM.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 02:26 PM   #39
Delvo
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Vespas do have the same "The Original Thing" coolness going for them as Harleys or vintage sports cars.
If I were getting a motorcycle, I'd actually avoid Harley Davidson or anything else that looks like them, in order to avoid seeming to be trying to project an image. But I've never perceived that to be an issue with scooters.

Anyway, the fact that people apparently associate the name "Vespa" with scooters by default makes me wonder whether Dessi is using that name as a word synonymous with "scooters", and thus would be fine with a non-Vespa scooter, or is only interested in actual Vespas and wouldn't want one of the others. I've never heard anybody doing the former, but it would be easier for her if she is, because Vespa's website says there are no Vespa dealers anywhere near Omaha.

When I was looking for scooters, I found some new names I hadn't heard of before along the way, like Q-Link, CF Moto, and Roketa. But I also found that some of the more well-known motorcycle manufacturers also make scooters. The Burgman that's been mentioned here is by Suzuki, and both Yamaha and Honda make scooters in several different sizes & shapes apiece. Also, they're easy to find local dealers for on their websites, and they have dealers in or near Omaha. Dillon Brothers on Cleveland Boulevard, in particular, shows up in all three searches, and Full Throttle on 34th Avenue in Council Bluffs shows up in two of them, which means they sell more than one brand in the same place, which means when you walk in you could see more names I don't know. (When I decided I wanted a Q-Link Rave 150 and went to the nearest dealer, they didn't have any of those at that time, but that's how I discovered Roketas, one of which I have parked outside my front door right now.)

Last edited by Delvo; 30th November 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 30th November 2012, 03:42 PM   #40
casebro
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
If I were getting a motorcycle, I'd actually avoid Harley Davidson or anything else that looks like them, in order to avoid seeming to be trying to project an image. But I've never perceived that to be an issue with scooters.
Huh? You don't think folks buy scooters to project an image? Peg lag pants, white shirt, tie, black framed glasses and a pocket protector is not an image?

Or do you just see Harley in a negative image, and Vespas as the positive to you image that you wish to portray?

I've got news for you. Whatever affectation you adopt will be have an image with positive OR negative imagery depending on the viewer.

Vespa or Harley like, tatts or piercing. Positive to some, negative to others. I think they all show a case of Attention Deficit Disorder- you ain't gettin enough attention.

I'd stick with the F15o, and add a rifle rack in the back window.

I guess it's not for the amount of baggage, but the type we each haul. To each his own.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology