ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Julian Assange , rape charges

Closed Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 06:13 PM   #3921
appalling
Critical Thinker
 
appalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
Now, if you only could understand that:

Statement 1:
We do not know for sure that Assange is innocent
Granted.

Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
Statement 2:
There is legitimate ground for suspicion that the US/UK government may be after Assange for political reasons

may not be mutully exclusive, we would do a huge step forward in understanding each other
As you have stated yourself, the US can get Assange whether he is in the UK or Sweden, and whether he is facing sexual assault charges or not.

The accusations do not put Assange in any extra danger. If what you have stated before is true, then they are not essential to any plan the US may or may not have to get him.

You want everybody to agree that there is the possibility of political influence while ignoring the fact that the US does not need to influence a trial regarding Assange's personal behaviour. Just because you say they could does not mean that they would when they don't have to.

This isn't believing in the inherent goodness of a system. You don't need to be pro-US to see that Assange should face non-Wikileaks-related accusations.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:31 PM   #3922
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,189
Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
Please quote
You post here says so. You also keep bringing up other failures of the legal system and claim that without fixing those, even those involving people who are dead means it's wrong to go after Assange now.

Maybe if you made better arguments, coherent ones, you wouldn't have to pretend you didn't make bad arguments.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 11:17 PM   #3923
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,189
Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
This is what I have said:



And this is what you put into my mouth
Because that's what your argument means. You're saying that we can't try Assange in Sweden until Bush is tried, until some dictator who is dead is brought to justice. You're saying that because some people aren't brought to justice, Assange shouldn't be and you call that justice. You're saying that because you and some other people suspect that politics might be influencing something then we should make both governments of the US and of Sweden to burden their justice systems with political and extralegal considerations.

These are the arguments you have made. These are what your words mean. Yet when confronted with this you flee from your arguments. It's as if you were saying, 'I don't want her dead, I just wish she weren't alive anymore'.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 11:18 PM   #3924
appalling
Critical Thinker
 
appalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 320
Your argument is to wait to put sexual assault accusations to trial until we deal with more serious crimes.

I don't see how you can argue that you're saying anything else.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 11:49 PM   #3925
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,256
Originally Posted by appalling View Post
Your argument is to wait to put sexual assault accusations to trial until we deal with more serious crimes.

I don't see how you can argue that you're saying anything else.
Actually, that's pretty easy to argue. You just have to keep in mind what John Mekki's thesis actually is:

John Mekki's thesis is that Assange has been set up by the Swedes, at the behest of the US government, and that the UK has also collaborated in this setup, for the same reason. He offers as evidence the fact that Sweden does not wait to put these particular sexual assault accusations to trial, even though there are other worse cases (in John Mekki's opinion) that go untried.
The fact of these worse, untried cases is not offered as an argument that Assange's case should wait. It's offered as evidence that Assange's case is a setup.

The main problem with this line of reasoning--as I'm sure is already obvious to everybody here--is that John Mekki has already decided to believe that the US is involved in this case somehow. So any appearance of a double standard or failure of justice in the US is automatically considered evidence of a double standard or failulre of justice in Sweden.

Take away the assumption that the US is involved, and John Mekki's entire thesis collapses for lack of support.

Of course, all this innuendo and supposition must take the place of real arguments and evidence, because it's clear that the Swedish justice system is acting properly and fairly in this case. Even John Mekki admits this when pressed. Even John Mekki agrees that Assange should be extradited to Sweden and stand trial.

Last edited by theprestige; 28th November 2012 at 11:50 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:15 AM   #3926
nathan
Zygoticly Phased
 
nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,482
Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
Is there any remote possibility that Assange did not had sex with this woman or that the woman may be simply lying when she is saying this?
Is there any possibility that this may be the case?
Well, I suppose there's the remote possibility that JA and his defence team are colluding with the prosecutor when they admit that JA had sex with the women.
__________________
Crank works have one advantage: they don't really lose anything in translation. Skeptic
That's the beauty of Paranormal claims - there are no failures, only newly discovered restrictions on the ability. Ashles
nathan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:21 AM   #3927
appalling
Critical Thinker
 
appalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Actually, that's pretty easy to argue. You just have to keep in mind what John Mekki's thesis actually is:

John Mekki's thesis is that Assange has been set up by the Swedes, at the behest of the US government, and that the UK has also collaborated in this setup, for the same reason. He offers as evidence the fact that Sweden does not wait to put these particular sexual assault accusations to trial, even though there are other worse cases (in John Mekki's opinion) that go untried.
The fact of these worse, untried cases is not offered as an argument that Assange's case should wait. It's offered as evidence that Assange's case is a setup.

The main problem with this line of reasoning--as I'm sure is already obvious to everybody here--is that John Mekki has already decided to believe that the US is involved in this case somehow. So any appearance of a double standard or failure of justice in the US is automatically considered evidence of a double standard or failulre of justice in Sweden.

Take away the assumption that the US is involved, and John Mekki's entire thesis collapses for lack of support.

Of course, all this innuendo and supposition must take the place of real arguments and evidence, because it's clear that the Swedish justice system is acting properly and fairly in this case. Even John Mekki admits this when pressed. Even John Mekki agrees that Assange should be extradited to Sweden and stand trial.
He has made a lot of these fallacious arguments, true.

But, if you were arguing from his premises, how would you reconcile that he implies it is a great big set-up from a government that has no trouble getting what it wants, with his other argument which is that what Assange is accused does not even look like rape to him?

It would seem that if you thought that an untrustworthy government was setting someone up with murder, say, that there would be a body, and lots of government witnesses, and that it would seem like that person was a murderer.

How do you argue that a government is working overtime to set you up as a horrible criminal while arguing that there is no visible crime and that the victim had a great time?

Is it throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks? Which does he believe?
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:22 AM   #3928
nathan
Zygoticly Phased
 
nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,482
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20537157

he brought it on himself. Perhaps he'll have to decide whether he needs lungs more than he needs not to go to Sweden.

"the city is also dark at this time - we have very little daylight in London."

Hm, why doesn't every human living north of about 51 degrees have a chronic lung infection at this time of year? Why didn't he get one last year at this time?
__________________
Crank works have one advantage: they don't really lose anything in translation. Skeptic
That's the beauty of Paranormal claims - there are no failures, only newly discovered restrictions on the ability. Ashles

Last edited by nathan; 29th November 2012 at 12:24 AM.
nathan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:23 AM   #3929
appalling
Critical Thinker
 
appalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
Is there any remote possibility that Assange did not had sex with this woman or that the woman may be simply lying when she is saying this?
Is there any possibility that this may be the case?
Oh. Yes. I forgot. He has no idea what the accusations even are.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 03:50 AM   #3930
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Except you left out the condition in reality;

We can't yet be 100% sure of Assange's guilt.

Innocent till proven guilty used to be a principle people respected. I can see this right has gone out the window in this thread.

No wonder he does not want to go to Sweden if he will simply be immediately extradited to the USA. Can't blame him at all. He would be left to rot in a cell the rest of his life like Bradley Manning, probably without trial.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 04:19 AM   #3931
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
It would be easier to believe these unproved accusations if the girls did not seem so happy after the day after they were 'raped'.

http://my.firedoglake.com/kirkmurphy...-has-cia-ties/
Quote:
[The] phenomena of social networking through the internet and mobile phones constrains Swedish authorities from augmenting the evidence against Assange because it would look even less credible in the face of tweets by Anna Ardin and SMS texts by Sofia Wilén boasting of their respective conquests after the “crimes”.

In the case of Ardin it is clear that she has thrown a party in Assange’s honour at her flat after the “crime” and tweeted to her followers that she is with the “the world’s coolest smartest people, it’s amazing!”. Go on the internet and see for yourself. That Ardin has sought unsuccessfully to delete these exculpatory tweets from the public record should be a matter of grave concern. That she has published on the internet a guide on how to get revenge on cheating boyfriends ever graver. The exact content of Wilén’s mobile phone texts is not yet known but their bragging and exculpatory character has been confirmed by Swedish prosecutors. Neither Wilén’s nor Ardin’s texts complain of rape.

Also if the Swedish police actually made their mind up about there actually being a shred of evidence or not would help. They seem to think there is no evidence.

http://my.firedoglake.com/kirkmurphy...-has-cia-ties/
Quote:
Apparently having consensual sex in Sweden without a condom is punishable by a term of imprisonment of a minimum of two years for rape. That is the basis for a reinstitution of rape charges against WikiLeaks figurehead Julian Assange that is destined to make Sweden and its justice system the laughing stock of the world and dramatically damage its reputation as a model of modernity.

Sweden’s Public Prosecutor’s Office was embarrassed in August this year when it leaked to the media that it was seeking to arrest Assange for rape, then on the same day withdrew the arrest warrant because in its own words there was “no evidence”. The damage to Assange’s reputation is incalculable. More than three quarters of internet references to his name refer to rape. Now, three months on and three prosecutors later, the Swedes seem to be clear on their basis to proceed. Consensual sex that started out with a condom ended up without one, ergo, the sex was not consensual.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 04:49 AM   #3932
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,313
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Innocent till proven guilty used to be a principle people respected. I can see this right has gone out the window in this thread.
How can he be proven innocent or guilty without a trial? Why is immune from legal procedures?

Quote:
No wonder he does not want to go to Sweden if he will simply be immediately extradited to the USA. Can't blame him at all. He would be left to rot in a cell the rest of his life like Bradley Manning, probably without trial.

He will not be and cannot be. Please make at least a little effort to familiarize with the case. It's several orders of magnitude easier to extradite him from the UK than from Sweden where he'll actually be protected by the EAW framework.
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:02 AM   #3933
Tolls
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,559
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Innocent till proven guilty used to be a principle people respected. I can see this right has gone out the window in this thread.

No wonder he does not want to go to Sweden if he will simply be immediately extradited to the USA. Can't blame him at all. He would be left to rot in a cell the rest of his life like Bradley Manning, probably without trial.
You haven't read the thread, have you?
Not that that's terribly surprising, but this idea of extradition to the US has been explained several times as being nonsense.

He has not been found guilty, because there has not been a trial. The extradition has been granted as he is wanted for trial. That's how these things work.

People are extradited all the time to face trial, you know.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:08 AM   #3934
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Also if the Swedish police actually made their mind up about there actually being a shred of evidence or not would help. They seem to think there is no evidence.
First of all, it's not the police that make that decision, it's the prosecutor. Secondly, they have made up their mind, and has been proceeding with the investigation since Sept 1st, 2010.

And if you are interested in the actual accusations you can find them summarized from the English courts proceedings here.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:11 AM   #3935
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
 
BenBurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Posts: 35,276
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20537157

he brought it on himself. Perhaps he'll have to decide whether he needs lungs more than he needs not to go to Sweden.

"the city is also dark at this time - we have very little daylight in London."

Hm, why doesn't every human living north of about 51 degrees have a chronic lung infection at this time of year? Why didn't he get one last year at this time?
Maybe? http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-04-01-05
__________________
For what doth it profit a man, to fix one bug, but crash the system?
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:13 AM   #3936
nathan
Zygoticly Phased
 
nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,482
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Innocent till proven guilty used to be a principle people respected. I can see this right has gone out the window in this thread.
You seem to be mistaking this thread for a court of law.
__________________
Crank works have one advantage: they don't really lose anything in translation. Skeptic
That's the beauty of Paranormal claims - there are no failures, only newly discovered restrictions on the ability. Ashles
nathan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:19 AM   #3937
000063
Philosopher
 
000063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,309
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Accusing Assange of rape totally devalues the meaning of the word rape.

If you have consensual sex with two women/politicians and then fall asleep next to them, it might be terribly bad manners to not fully re-engage with them during the night if you want to repeat the previous actions, it could even be called sexual harassment, sure, but it is not rape in the traditional definition of the word.
Take it up with Swedish lawmakers.


Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
There is absolutely no evidence that he did that. There also absolutely no evidence he even did anything that would hold up to scrutiny in a Swedish court of law. ...
So you claim, yet he is avoiding said court of law.

Odd.

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
You know, a simple "I was wrong, and I appreciate you correcting me" wouldn't go amiss when you are caught fibbing with your pants down.
No, best to move the goalposts.

Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Now what I am going to say here is quite controversial. Hopefully I can hit ten on that random list of random things people are judging me by.
...
Fringe reset to attempt to avoid inconvenient facts.

Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
The hilarity of this thread is going to increase directly proportionally to the lack of critical thinking, I predict.

Already making me chuckle with patriotic pith.

I will return in the morning
Appeal to ridicule, dodge.

Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
You seen that awful (ly accurate) documentary about the epidemic of woman rape in the army? Apparently its literally 50/50 if you are raped or not in the US army being a woman. I have forgotten the exact name of the documentary.
Red herring, attempted subject change.


Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Innocent till proven guilty used to be a principle people respected. I can see this right has gone out the window in this thread.
Except for the multiple people who have specifically said that he should face trial in order to determine his guilt or innocence.

Quote:
No wonder he does not want to go to Sweden if he will simply be immediately extradited to the USA. Can't blame him at all. He would be left to rot in a cell the rest of his life like Bradley Manning, probably without trial.
What charges has the US made against him?

Last edited by 000063; 29th November 2012 at 06:42 AM.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #3938
eirik
Muse
 
eirik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 681
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Innocent till proven guilty used to be a principle people respected. I can see this right has gone out the window in this thread.
That applies to courts, as a safeguard for a set of pre-defined government sanctions, such as putting people in jail. We don’t do that unless a person is proven guilty in a court of law.

Obviously it does not apply to me as a civilian, nor does it apply to women who are raped.

Example: If you, god forbid, were raped, no one would stop you from speaking your mind of whether you were raped or not prior to a trial.
__________________
"I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern without any superhuman authority behind it." -Albert Einstein
eirik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:22 AM   #3939
eirik
Muse
 
eirik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 681
Originally Posted by 000063 View Post
Take it up with Swedish lawmakers.
And lawmakers in any civilized country on earth for that matter. Consent is not a formality in sexual relations.
__________________
"I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern without any superhuman authority behind it." -Albert Einstein
eirik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:52 AM   #3940
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
 
BenBurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Posts: 35,276
Originally Posted by eirik View Post
And lawmakers in any civilized country on earth for that matter. Consent is not a formality in sexual relations.
What these people want is a separate law for their favored ones.
__________________
For what doth it profit a man, to fix one bug, but crash the system?
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:17 AM   #3941
superfreddy
Muse
 
superfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 660
This hypocrite dodged questions about Ecuador's freedom of the press. He ended up calling a country that's bending over backwards to keep him out of jail "insignificant". The hell with this mofo!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...es-ecuador.cnn
superfreddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:53 AM   #3942
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
 
BenBurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Posts: 35,276
Originally Posted by superfreddy View Post
This hypocrite dodged questions about Ecuador's freedom of the press. He ended up calling a country that's bending over backwards to keep him out of jail "insignificant". The hell with this mofo!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...es-ecuador.cnn
Some conspiracy theorizing; Is it in Ecuador's interest that this matter is ever resolved? Or not?
__________________
For what doth it profit a man, to fix one bug, but crash the system?
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:56 AM   #3943
appalling
Critical Thinker
 
appalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Innocent till proven guilty used to be a principle people respected. I can see this right has gone out the window in this thread.
If you believe that then the women should be innocent of being called liars by you until proven guilty.

You quote something characterizing a Wikileaks promotional event as a party celebrating Assange. They were wikileaks supporters promoting wikileaks. If a woman goes to work the day after something sketchy happens with a superior, it is not proof that nothing happened unless you are willfully ignorant.

You quote texts that don't talk about sexual assault as proof that there must not have been sexual assaults.

You don't understand principles.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 10:20 AM   #3944
appalling
Critical Thinker
 
appalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
It would be easier to believe these unproved accusations if the girls did not seem so happy after the day after they were 'raped'.
You have shown that you have no idea how sexual assault survivors would act.

Quote:
Also if the Swedish police actually made their mind up about there actually being a shred of evidence or not would help. They seem to think there is no evidence.
Their evidence should be examined in a trial.

Quote:
Apparently having consensual sex in Sweden without a condom is punishable by a term of imprisonment of a minimum of two years for rape.
Aren't you embarrassed in 2012 to link to a 2010 article that claims that consensual sex in Sweden is illegal? The accusation in one case is that she was asleep, and there was no consent. The other accusation involved force. You can say the accusations may be proven wrong, but it is dishonest to say they are accusations of purely consensual sex.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 10:35 AM   #3945
superfreddy
Muse
 
superfreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Some conspiracy theorizing; Is it in Ecuador's interest that this matter is ever resolved? Or not?
I believe Ecuador is in this mess because president Correa is an attention whore. So, no, I don't think Ecuador is really interested in this matter being resolved. That would take it out of the papers.
superfreddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:32 AM   #3946
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
 
BenBurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Posts: 35,276
Originally Posted by superfreddy View Post
I believe Ecuador is in this mess because president Correa is an attention whore. So, no, I don't think Ecuador is really interested in this matter being resolved. That would take it out of the papers.
Exactly my thinking.

And a dying Assange being helped by Ecuador while being cruelly denied hospital facilities by the evil US/UK/Swedish empire seems to be a big win...
__________________
For what doth it profit a man, to fix one bug, but crash the system?
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:37 PM   #3947
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
Originally Posted by superfreddy View Post
This hypocrite dodged questions about Ecuador's freedom of the press. He ended up calling a country that's bending over backwards to keep him out of jail "insignificant". The hell with this mofo!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...es-ecuador.cnn

Completely reasonable interview. That news anchor was hilarious.

You should check a thread I started where he speaks with the President of Equador, they are very good friends and the president is the most popular president Ecuador has ever had with the people. He's very charismatic and very intelligent, he has a doctorate in economics and has really sorted out his countries economy.

Julian Assange Interviews Rafael Correa on 'The World Tomorrow'

Last edited by Zeuzzz; 29th November 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:44 PM   #3948
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
Originally Posted by appalling View Post
If you believe that then the women should be innocent of being called liars by you until proven guilty.

Pretty much anyone without blinders on can look at all the evidence and conclude there girls are not only lying about the rape charges but have no evidence and ulterior motives. I have linked to just a few previously. Apart from John Mekki they were all ignored and other parts of my posts chosen to be replied to by people that disagreed. Pretty funny.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:46 PM   #3949
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,648
You know I think I'm far to optimistic. I would have thought that after nearly 4000 posts in this thread that any new comer to it would have read at least enough of it to get a grip on the basic facts of the case, but nope, it's like wack-a-rat, the same dead facts get resurrected and argued again and again. It seems that those coming in to support Assange don't even actually know what the actual allegations against him even are. After all this time, that's just sad, you'd think that they'd have at least read the actual court and police documents that are availible rather than just accepting a bunch of blogs as gospel. I guess I expect too much.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:48 PM   #3950
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
Hello Phantom Wolf. Can you -please post these basic facts of the case people keep getting wrong? Since you are complaining about people here you should have a list of these incorrect facts you can help educate us with.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:48 PM   #3951
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,648
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Pretty much anyone without blinders on can look at all the evidence and conclude there girls are not only lying about the rape charges but have no evidence and ulterior motives. I have linked to just a few previously. Apart from John Mekki they were all ignored and other parts of my posts chosen to be replied to by people that disagreed. Pretty funny.
I don't believe that you have looked at the evidence, in fact I know you haven't because if you had you know that you were making a critical error each time you say the underlined bit.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:49 PM   #3952
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,648
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Hello Phantom Wolf. Can you -please post these basic facts of the case people keep getting wrong? Since you are complaining about people here you should have a list of these incorrect facts you can help educate us with.
Well to start with, what are the allegations against Assange?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:50 PM   #3953
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
I provided evidence on the last few pages that is court worthy and will no doubt be brought up if Assange has to face court. You have not commented on them. I can list them again if you missed them?
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:52 PM   #3954
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Well to start with, what are the allegations against Assange?

No, I want a list from you. I have an idea. Since you are mocking my ignorance you should educate me. This is an educational forum.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:56 PM   #3955
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,648
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
No, I want a list from you. I have an idea. Since you are mocking my ignorance you should educate me. This is an educational forum.
If you had read the police files and the Court documents you'd have more than "an idea" you would know. As it is the answer has been posted multiple times in this thread. Here_to_learn has posted a entire list of commonly misbelieved things about the case, with links to agreed upon facts and other documents, and has done so multiple times. Try actually reading some of the previous 3900 odd posts.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:58 PM   #3956
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,703
Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Exactly my thinking.

And a dying Assange being helped by Ecuador while being cruelly denied hospital facilities by the evil US/UK/Swedish empire seems to be a big win...
There are no doctors in Ecuador? No chance an England based doctor could see him in the embassy?

Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Pretty much anyone without blinders on can look at all the evidence and conclude there girls are not only lying about the rape charges but have no evidence and ulterior motives.
Either that or they were raped. Maybe a trial where the evidence of both sides can be presented might help to determine the truth.

Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
I have linked to just a few previously. Apart from John Mekki they were all ignored and other parts of my posts chosen to be replied to by people that disagreed. Pretty funny.
Indeed a very solid defense you have put forward: Innocent by speculation.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:59 PM   #3957
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
Got it. So your not going to tell me the details about the case I am continually getting wrong? You just say I need to read the entire thread?

Nice shifting of the goal posts.

You could just post a few off the top of your head now, to save time.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 02:01 PM   #3958
appalling
Critical Thinker
 
appalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Pretty much anyone without blinders on can look at all the evidence and conclude there girls are not only lying about the rape charges but have no evidence and ulterior motives. I have linked to just a few previously. Apart from John Mekki they were all ignored and other parts of my posts chosen to be replied to by people that disagreed. Pretty funny.
You have proof that there is no evidence before a trial has even begun.

There is no reason to take you seriously.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 02:03 PM   #3959
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,648
Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
Got it. So your not going to tell me the details about the case I am continually getting wrong? You just say I need to read the entire thread?

Nice shifting of the goal posts.

You could just post a few off the top of your head now, to save time.
No I'm not going to tell you, I expect you to go and read the police files, the agreed upon facts, and the Court Documents and educate yourself from the original sources instead of having others spoon feed things to you, be it me or the blogs you keep parroting. That way you get to see what is actually there, and not get spin from anyone else.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 02:08 PM   #3960
Zeuzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,240
Nice replies. Truly great, packed with information for me to comment on.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.