ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags john edward , mediums , psychics

Old 29th November 2012, 05:29 AM   #481
dafydd
Banned

Which dark comments? Puzzled, Belgium.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:36 AM   #482
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin Stettnisch View Post
I said I thought it was strange...
You said you thought it was maybe "more than coincidence". And it's not strange, it's cold reading. That you even thought it strange, rather than staggeringly mundane, generalised and inaccurate should give you pause for thought.

Quote:
And while I am not running off to write a blog about you I am however running...once again running, screaming AND arms flailing to the Land of Believers. There's no place like home. Peace.
It's certainly far easier not to let anybody challenge your beliefs, isn't it? The sad thing is that your repeated refusal to answer any questions put to you is an indicator that you're remaining ignorant wilfully.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:47 AM   #483
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I said I thought it was strange...I did not say I was going to go run and write a blog about you. Thought maybe it was a confirmation for YOU to listen to your gut more than I think you do...and I felt...psychically of course ... that you needed to hear that. And while I am not running off to write a blog about you I am however running...once again running, screaming AND arms flailing to the Land of Believers. There's no place like home. Peace.
When you come back here, would you mind answering the question about your title, that is, do you think it's accurate? Do you think you've offered credible proof of the afterlife?

Thanks in advance.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:49 AM   #484
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

delete

Last edited by Resume; 29th November 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:50 AM   #485
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Is that near Antwerp?
Old 29th November 2012, 06:17 AM   #486
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Is that near Antwerp?
Antwerp is surrounded by Belgium.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:18 AM   #487
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
I said I thought it was strange...I did not say I was going to go run and write a blog about you. Thought maybe it was a confirmation for YOU to listen to your gut more than I think you do...and I felt...psychically of course ... that you needed to hear that. And while I am not running off to write a blog about you I am however running...once again running, screaming AND arms flailing to the Land of Believers. There's no place like home. Peace.
How may times are you going to "leave"?
Before you do, would you mind answering the question(s) about the appropriateness (and honesty) of your thread title?
Old 29th November 2012, 06:29 AM   #488
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

It is a shame. Your entire "proof" rests on the premise that you, personally, cannot be fooled. When it is demonstrated that (1) you can be fooled and (2) it is nothing to be ashamed of since humans are wired to be fooled and some people are expert at it, you depart, insinuating that those who have presented fact instead of belief are the negative ones.

Come to the light, Robin. Come to the light. There is much joy here...
Old 29th November 2012, 06:51 AM   #489
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Is Puzzled as well?
Old 29th November 2012, 06:59 AM   #490
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Woo you calling an Twerp?
Old 29th November 2012, 07:17 AM   #491
poblob14
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by meg View Post
Oops. Yep, you are right. Guess I'm so used to Penn doing all the talking that my brain just subconsciously switched the author My mistake. Thanks.
Easy enough to do. Penn's the talker, but Teller is a better writer, in my opinion. (It's pretty easy in going through their books to see who wrote what.)
poblob14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:35 AM   #492
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by GregInAustin View Post

Is this evasion, willful ignorance or simply an honest mistake?
Attention whoring 101.

And so I will pose a final challenge to the members of this thread...
K you guys win...I'm outta here. Running, screaming to the land of believers! But it was fun while it lasted! Peace.
OK... Little too ugly here for this little light. Peace to all. And of course...Light.
though I done here officially...too much negative energy and I don't mean skeptics and questions...I mean the truly dark comments).
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
How may times are you going to "leave"?
I see a number between 5 and 100. Something with an "S" sound.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 08:16 AM   #493
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I see a number between 5 and 100. Something with an "S" sound.
Wow! Eleven timeS! Absolute proof because I cannot be fooled!

[/believer]
[dark energy]
Old 29th November 2012, 08:24 AM   #494
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Wow! Eleven timeS! Absolute proof because I cannot be fooled!

[/believer]
[dark energy]
[/thread]
Old 29th November 2012, 08:24 AM   #495
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't strange. That's what you don't seem to understand. John Edward knows that people coming to see him want some sort of closure with a person who lost a loved one.

And like I said, just because he can pick things up from you doesn't mean there's proof of life after death.

What if he really is psychic. Let's use that for a second. Say he's psychic and can pick up things from you?

How does him being able to do that prove there is Life After Death?

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:11 AM   #496
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Annnnnnnd what are they doing about it? And why does Belgium want to surround Antwerp? What did it ever do to Belgium? Enquirer minds want to NO!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:37 AM   #497
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
And why does Belgium want to surround Antwerp? What did it ever do to Belgium?
Oh, hush, now and let Schlieffen dogs lie.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:40 AM   #498
dafydd
Banned

Slapende honden!
Old 29th November 2012, 10:37 AM   #499
quarky
Banned

Well,

This has become awkward. I thought I'd try to lighten the mood with a little off-the-cuff essay, which might require a new thread; though it's appropriate here:

The cold readings of everyday cons.

Do you ever get the feeling that you haven't really reached your potential? That you were destined for something better than this run of the mill rat race?
Perhaps you feel that you have unresolved issues or a slight chemical imbalance.

This is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, it's what makes you special.
Millions of people that feel like you do, have found help with new "Prozacium".
Clinically proven effectiveness is available now in 3 shapes and colors, to suit your personality.

(Oops, I had no idea that would pop out. Pretty cool idea, though, eh?)

Anyway, as poorly written and ridiculous as the above was, one could replace it with nearly any add for anything that you don't need, including exterminators, hair coloring; diet sodas; beer with extra water; 4 bathrooms; a car that will get you to the next red light in 2.3 seconds; a president that would have a beer with you; a casket that shows respect for your dead mother; etc, etc.

The American Dream.
Shop 'till you drop.

(Brought to you by Cold Reading International, LLC.)

Last edited by quarky; 29th November 2012 at 10:38 AM.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:45 AM   #500
Jon.
Increasing entropy since 1970

Is she really pulling out the old "you're actually psychic even though you deny it!" routine?

I don't appeal to the masses, and they don't appeal to me. - Graham Parker

Calling modern day fundamentalists medieval is giving them about a thousand years of philosophical advancement they do not have. - Jorghnassen
Jon. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:59 AM   #501
quarky
Banned

I know I am, but I hate money.
Hence, self-deprecation.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:25 PM   #502
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
Is she really pulling out the old "you're actually psychic even though you deny it!" routine?
I remember years ago reading an article by the British writer Colin Wilson. The details are a bit vague after all this time, but Randi showed him Paul Curry's card trick, Out Of This World. It's a clever,impressive trick. Colin Wilson was amazed and said that it was up to Randi to prove that he was not psychic.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:39 PM   #503
AdMan
Philosopher

I remember years ago reading an article by the British writer Colin Wilson. The details are a bit vague after all this time, but Randi showed him Paul Curry's card trick, Out Of This World. It's a clever,impressive trick. Colin Wilson was amazed and said that it was up to Randi to prove that he was not psychic.

I've heard this seriously claimed of Randi elsewhere as well--that maybe he has actual psychic powers but for whatever reason(s), maybe professional jealousy with other psychics, he pretends he doesn't.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:43 PM   #504
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post

Come to the light, Robin. Come to the light. There is much joy here...
Old 29th November 2012, 01:28 PM   #505
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
She also seems to be ignoring posts pointing out that such experiences can never constitute good evidence, let alone proof, of life after death, because mundane explanations such as cold reading, hot reading and lucky guesses can never be eliminated. That's why the scientific method was invented, so we could compensate for our fallible perceptions and cognitive biases and discover the truth. The fact that Edward and his ilk flatly refuse to subject themselves to proper scientific testing, even when given a million dollar incentive to do so, tells any sensible person all they need to know about them.

Ignorance is indeed bliss...

[...] I am however running...once again running, screaming AND arms flailing to the Land of Believers. There's no place like home. Peace.

I do understand the process of grief, so I'm not unsympathetic. But it's a damned shame that some people find it so difficult to deal with the death of a loved one in a healthy, forward moving way. If someone close to me was so incapable of accepting the death of a parent that they'd allow themselves to be conned by such an obvious scam artist as Edward, I would insist that they seek professional help from a qualified grief counselor...
"Your father is dead. Get over it. There are healthy ways to do that. Believing that your dad is magically communicating with you through a minor celebrity who does his stuff on a TV program is not healthy. Again, your father is dead, belly up, deceased, a-gonner, pushin' up daisies, kaput, D-E-A-D dead. He's not coming back, and he's not sending you signs from the other side. Accept it."
Someday the OP may wake up and realize she's been scammed. On one hand, accepting reality is usually a good thing. On the other, sooner seems like a much better time than later to do it.

Last edited by GeeMack; 29th November 2012 at 01:30 PM.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 01:53 PM   #506
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Any comment that seeks to provide a rational explanation.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 02:06 PM   #507
meg
psychic reader

Can you imagine just how horrible it would be to be one of those dead people that John Edward contacts?

Just imagine, fairly happy old grampa kicks the bucket and starts floating around "watching over" what he thought was his happy loving family, only to find out the one daughter does stuff in the bedroom he never even heard of before, and it leaves scars. His grandson bought some pot laced with something and now, unbeknownst to anyone else, he's turning into a 15 year old meth addict. Granddaughter Judy is 4 months pregnant and hasn't told anyone yet. Son Jim, it turns out has a bit of a problem with the bottle, and drives around while snockered. Everyone talks trash about his sister, who's a bit of a klepto. Daughter Emily is out of a job, but just keeps shopping and shopping racking up more and more debt. None of these idiots even bothered to go through his file cabinet, or they would have known there was another life insurance policy in there. They're all fighting and fighting over who gets what out of his house.

Turns out "watching over" means seeing e v e r y t h i n g. He sees every poop, every masturbatory stroke, every nose pick. Every dark and ugly thought that crosses their minds. And he also sees that the brother he was so angry at in life never actually did steal that money. It really was the shady business partner after all. Damn.

And then those ninnyhammers pony up hundreds of dollars to go see some mentalist act. And the charlatan tells them he's talking to old grampa loud and clear. He tells em gramps had something going on in his brain, because well, between strokes, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, and good old dementia, what old person doesn't? And he tells em gramps had something going on with his heart, because that's the number one killer of old people, but when they look confused, he quickly moves his hand down and says, "no.. stomach.. this area" and their eyes light up and they know this is really the real deal, here! Then he says something about someone in uniform, a pekinese dog, roller skating, a series of several colors, a certain brand of tequila, some household appliances, a catholic prayer card with a picture of a cloud, does the word cobol mean anything to you?, the Mary Tyler Moore show, chess pieces, and a wood cutting tool.

And the family gasps with awe and wonder, and weeps with joy that grampa came through, because one of them had just bought a microwave not too long ago, and another saw a picture of Ed Asner in the paper! What are the freaking odds of that?!?!?!?! We are now true believers!!!

And poor old dead gramps just has to watch and watch and watch forever apparently.

That's got to be some new kind of level of hell that even Dante couldn't have thought up.
Old 29th November 2012, 02:52 PM   #508
quarky
Banned

Can you imagine just how horrible it would be to be one of those dead people that John Edward contacts?

Just imagine, fairly happy old grampa kicks the bucket and starts floating around "watching over" what he thought was his happy loving family, only to find out the one daughter does stuff in the bedroom he never even heard of before, and it leaves scars. His grandson bought some pot laced with something and now, unbeknownst to anyone else, he's turning into a 15 year old meth addict. Granddaughter Judy is 4 months pregnant and hasn't told anyone yet. Son Jim, it turns out has a bit of a problem with the bottle, and drives around while snockered. Everyone talks trash about his sister, who's a bit of a klepto. Daughter Emily is out of a job, but just keeps shopping and shopping racking up more and more debt. None of these idiots even bothered to go through his file cabinet, or they would have known there was another life insurance policy in there. They're all fighting and fighting over who gets what out of his house.

Turns out "watching over" means seeing e v e r y t h i n g. He sees every poop, every masturbatory stroke, every nose pick. Every dark and ugly thought that crosses their minds. And he also sees that the brother he was so angry at in life never actually did steal that money. It really was the shady business partner after all. Damn.

And then those ninnyhammers pony up hundreds of dollars to go see some mentalist act. And the charlatan tells them he's talking to old grampa loud and clear. He tells em gramps had something going on in his brain, because well, between strokes, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, and good old dementia, what old person doesn't? And he tells em gramps had something going on with his heart, because that's the number one killer of old people, but when they look confused, he quickly moves his hand down and says, "no.. stomach.. this area" and their eyes light up and they know this is really the real deal, here! Then he says something about someone in uniform, a pekinese dog, roller skating, a series of several colors, a certain brand of tequila, some household appliances, a catholic prayer card with a picture of a cloud, does the word cobol mean anything to you?, the Mary Tyler Moore show, chess pieces, and a wood cutting tool.

And the family gasps with awe and wonder, and weeps with joy that grampa came through, because one of them had just bought a microwave not too long ago, and another saw a picture of Ed Asner in the paper! What are the freaking odds of that?!?!?!?! We are now true believers!!!

And poor old dead gramps just has to watch and watch and watch forever apparently.

That's got to be some new kind of level of hell that even Dante couldn't have thought up.

Meg,
I'm almost awe struck by the power of your post, and several others.
I'll have to nom this one, as may others.

I can only conclude that you are a psychic of great maturity.
I long to be that sort of psychic, myself.

Having this power; this ability...it's mostly an annoyance. Material wealth is far beneath us; we heed a higher calling. If anything, our mission is to draw attention away from the existence of our powers; through debunking the clunky junior psychics like JE.

That is what you're saying, right?
Randi and I can totally dig where you're coming from.
(Though I didn't ask him.)
Old 29th November 2012, 02:53 PM   #509
dafydd
Banned

So that's why Lucifer means ''bringer of light''. I can do without Robin's version of light.
Old 29th November 2012, 03:00 PM   #510
poblob14
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I've heard this seriously claimed of Randi elsewhere as well--that maybe he has actual psychic powers but for whatever reason(s), maybe professional jealousy with other psychics, he pretends he doesn't.
Arthur Conan Doyle claimed this of Houdini.

I've told this story before: I once was doing some card tricks for my nephews. On one trick, after choosing a card, the older one, a smart alec (can't imagine where he gets that from!), tried to mess me up by burying the card with several cuts before I was really "ready" for that, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I was tracking his not-too-neat cuts as best I could and planning my "out" when he proceeded to cut his own card directly to the top.

I sat back, folded my arms, told him to tap the deck, and entered Uncle Immortality.

Point of all these stories is, sometimes stuff just happens, and the supernatural has nothing to do with it, True Belief notwithstanding.
poblob14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 03:19 PM   #511
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Robin two years ago I lost my father, I know that I'd give anything for another day, hour even minute with him. I know the allure of someone claiming they can speak to the dead seems to good to pass up. But John Edward is a con man who, much like a hungry vulture, preys on the victims of loss and mourning.

I'll share a personal story; The week after my fathers passing I was getting numerous phone calls, condolences and that sort of thing. However one was from a local medium claiming she had connected to my father from beyond. It was the usual fare of cold reading with some seemingly impossible guessing, I say seemingly because I caught on to the fact that she had gotten most of her info from the obituary we had printed.

I decided to ask her three specific questions:

1: What was the exact cause of death
2: What were his last words?
3: What is in his hand crafted wooden chest?

At this point (Much like John if you watch enough of his shtick when he gets too many misses) the spirit was apparently "pulling away".

I must reiterate, It's a con game, a shameful, vile disgusting con game and I must ask why does he need 800$[1] to connect with the dead?

[1] [http://johnedward.net/private-readings] source for his prices.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 03:28 PM   #512
Belz...
Fiend God

Considering the rapidity of your response I must guess you did not actually read the blog or any of the comments. The truth is... a completely closed-mind is a very dangerous mindset.
You mean a completely closed mine like one who accepts life after death as a reality despite a complete absence of evidence and the obvious contradiction with all known physics ?

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 03:30 PM   #513
Belz...
Fiend God

Communicating with those who have crossed over is not the same as talking to someone on your iphone with a crystal clear connection...
Why not ?

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 03:49 PM   #514
quarky
Banned

The blurriness of psychic transmission follows suit with the blur of Big Foot and UFOs.

"Yee shall know the truth through its blurriness."

If it could just become a little bit blurier, I could believe.

I need HD blur before I sign on.
Old 29th November 2012, 03:50 PM   #515
meg
psychic reader

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
Meg,
I'm almost awe struck by the power of your post, and several others.
I'll have to nom this one, as may others.

I can only conclude that you are a psychic of great maturity.
I long to be that sort of psychic, myself.

Having this power; this ability...it's mostly an annoyance. Material wealth is far beneath us; we heed a higher calling. If anything, our mission is to draw attention away from the existence of our powers; through debunking the clunky junior psychics like JE.

That is what you're saying, right?
Randi and I can totally dig where you're coming from.
(Though I didn't ask him.)
Aw shucks, Quarky. Thank you.

You figured me out. But you are too kind. Especially with that whole "great maturity" bit. It's true, though. I am a grizzled old crankypants, nearing the grave with every wheezy rattled breath.

Of course no one can really say what happened with Robin's session, because Robin doesn't really remember.

But I'm pretty sure the message JE was getting was really for Stuart and Stella Stesterston, who were sitting just over from Robin and Doug. See, the Stesterston's neighbor is very sick in the head. He stabbed a woman named Valerie (twice) in the stomach, watched her die, then shoved her in his fridge, and threw her pearls in the harbor the next day. Oh, the bloody fingerprints! That poor girl was trying to warn the Stesterstons, because he plans to snatch their daughter Rhoda next. If Robin and Doug hadn't been so "OMG I have a fridge! That's my dad! It's gotta be!" they might have gotten the message.

Robin will never read it, though. She doesn't like my posts. Says they're too dark.

Last edited by meg; 29th November 2012 at 04:09 PM.
meg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 04:01 PM   #516
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
Yeah.
Rather endearing, isn't it?

What are the odds that conman explained to her she has all the potential to be a gifted medium herself and she just needs to nurture her gift to be able to be just like him, a gift to mankind?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 04:02 PM   #517
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Yeah.
Rather endearing, isn't it?

What are the odds that conman explained to her she has all the potential to be a gifted medium herself and she just needs to nurture her gift to be able to be just like him, a gift to mankind?
And a gift to her bank manager.
Old 29th November 2012, 04:03 PM   #518
quarky
Banned

Meg, it's hard to believe you're from Kansas.

That old adage "We're not in Kansas anymore" may have lost its punch.

Maybe we're all in Kansas now.

(Domini, Domini, for give me lord, for I know not much stuff. And stuff.)

Delighted you're here, old girl, whomsoever you may be.
Old 29th November 2012, 05:00 PM   #519
SezMe
post-pre-born

Robin will never read it, though. She doesn't like my posts. Says they're too dark.
Well, ya know she has something there. All the characters in your posts are completely black on my screen.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:15 PM   #520
quarky
Banned

Racism?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal