ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th November 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Max_mang
Thinker

Magician Wayne Houchin attacked/burned on Dominican TV show

Has anyone else seen this? At first I thought it was a prank, but it seems to be legit:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/40...ire-attack.htm

Wayne is a really nice guy and a good performer, I hope he recovers and justice is done.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Bob Klase
Master Poster

I was just about to post this and you beat me to it. Just another example of what religion can be when used the way god intended it- pointless and dangerous.
Bob Klase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. I never met Houchin, but I have some of his effects and DVDs. It is horrific regardless if the motivation was religious or not.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:51 AM   #4
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

!?
Old 30th November 2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The substance Aqua de Florida, which Houchin claims was thrown on him, is also a voodoo cleansing agent popular with shamen and witch doctors in the Caribbean.
Some kind of voodoo thing?

Why?
Old 30th November 2012, 09:59 PM   #6
brazenlilraisin
...tart

How the substance, whatever it is, caught fire is what I'd like to know. It wan't burning while cupped in the host's hands, only suddenly bursting into flame when dumped upon Houchin's head, whereupon the supposed attacker immediately seems to start trying to put out the flames.
brazenlilraisin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:15 AM   #7
shemp
Pith Generator

Originally Posted by brazenlilraisin View Post
How the substance, whatever it is, caught fire is what I'd like to know. It wan't burning while cupped in the host's hands, only suddenly bursting into flame when dumped upon Houchin's head, whereupon the supposed attacker immediately seems to start trying to put out the flames.
The fire was probably started by static electricity in his hair. I watched this several times, and I don't think the host intended for this to catch fire. The host looks like he's trying to beat out the flames, and when Houchin is on the ground, the host is hunched over him and looks like he's concerned. Regardless of intent, it's still pretty stupid to throw a flammable substance on someone.
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:11 PM   #8
AdMan
Philosopher

Here's an update with some good news:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/us-ma...inican-tv-show

Quote:
An American magician was recuperating Sunday in the Dominican Republic after a local television show host lit his head on fire with a flammable cologne.

Chico, California-native Wayne Houchin said he is receiving treatment for burns that doctors are cautiously optimistic will not result in scars. A Sunday statement on his Facebook page says he is "resting, healing & working through the legal process" in the Caribbean nation, where he had been performing with a group of fellow magicians.

Wayne is a very creative guy--here's hoping he makes a full recovery soon.

And:

Quote:
Houchin said Barazarte's actions were completely unexpected and he considers it a criminal attack.

I would agree--whatever the host's intentions, it was very stupid.
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Max_mang
Thinker

Originally Posted by brazenlilraisin View Post
Wayne Houchin commented on this in another forum. For some reason that thread has disappeared so I can't copy and paste. Apparently the video was taken on a phone by someone in Wayne's crew. They started taking the video after the host had put the liquid in his hands and had someone else light it. You can't see the flame but the liquid is already lit when he turns and dumps it on Wayne's head.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:02 PM   #10
shemp
Pith Generator

Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
Wayne Houchin commented on this in another forum. For some reason that thread has disappeared so I can't copy and paste. Apparently the video was taken on a phone by someone in Wayne's crew. They started taking the video after the host had put the liquid in his hands and had someone else light it. You can't see the flame but the liquid is already lit when he turns and dumps it on Wayne's head.
If that's the case then all I can say is "WTF?"
Old 4th December 2012, 09:04 AM   #11
blobru
Philosopher

Is there any way this could have been the host's botched attempt at a magic trick? I've seem a lot of magic tricks with fire that doesn't burn (the performer) - using chemicals that ignite at lower temperatures and/or flame-retardant materials I would guess - though admittedly never one where the magician throws the fire on someone (especially someone not expecting it). Has anyone seen a trick like that? I'm just wondering if this could be a magic trick gone wrong, the fire supposed to extinguish mid-air as it's thrown on the other person, perhaps, or burn without injury -- can't see how this would happen without precautions: maybe the host thought Houchin had been prepared for it, when he hadn't? Anyway, just speculating; will be interested to learn what was up when more details come out. Hope Houchin has a swift recovery.

eta:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The fire was probably started by static electricity in his hair. I watched this several times, and I don't think the host intended for this to catch fire. The host looks like he's trying to beat out the flames, and when Houchin is on the ground, the host is hunched over him and looks like he's concerned. Regardless of intent, it's still pretty stupid to throw a flammable substance on someone.
Whoops, skip it. That's a much more sensible explanation.

eta2: Or maybe not, in light of Ernie M's posts.

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny

Last edited by blobru; 4th December 2012 at 09:52 AM.
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Ernie M
Critical Thinker

Magic stunt gone awry?

I wonder if the "blessing" on Wayne Houchin was a magic stunt gone awry.

Was the flammable liquid, which I read was “Agua de Florida,” supposed to burn due to the alcohol content, then when the alcohol was consumed by being burned away, the water was supposed to extinguish the flame... without causing harm?

Example: Burning Money - Chemistry Demonstration
(money 'catches' on fire, fire goes out, money not burned)

But pouring the liquid on Wayne Houchin's head with no apparent safety measures in place- was just plain stupid!

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Ernie M
Critical Thinker

According to the Mirror's article, Magician's FACE set on fire when TV host rubs flaming liquid on him, it wasn't static electricity that accidentally ignited the cologne.

Quote:
But the host announced he wanted to give Mr Houchin a "blessing", the American said.

He told one of the other magicians, BJ Bueno, to hand him a bottle of Agua de Florida, a flammable cologne.

Mr Barazarte asked Mr Houchin's wife to pour the cologne into his cupped hands and told Mr Bueno to pick up a lighter on the stage and light the fluid.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2012, 03:10 AM   #14
Caper
Illuminator

According to this article he is going top be arrested.

Definitely was one of the stupidest thing I've seen. But apparently he did not mean to harm him.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Bob Klase
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Definitely was one of the stupidest thing I've seen. But apparently he did not mean to harm him.
Apparently. At least that's what he claims now.
Bob Klase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2012, 06:11 PM   #16
amensae

Originally Posted by Bob Klase View Post
Apparently. At least that's what he claims now.

I think Hanlon/Heinlein’s Razor applies here:
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
amensae is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2012, 06:21 PM   #17
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
According to this article he is going top be arrested.

I finally got around to watching the video, which I hadn't really wanted to see.

It does seem as if it was some kind of idiotic prank or stunt (which Wayne apparently didn't know was coming) gone horribly wrong.

I don't know what the presenter was expecting would happen, but whatever his intentions he clearly needs to be held liable.

Last edited by AdMan; 5th December 2012 at 06:22 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Merko
Graduate Poster

I can't make sense of the video.

First, he's really rubbing it into Houchin's hair and neck, not just throwing it on top of him. Maybe if someone is exceptionally stupid, ignorant and careless they might think that throwing a burning substance over someone won't make them catch fire because they've tried the same 'trick' with money or whatever. But that is not what he does.

But then, when Houchin does catch fire, he immediately tries to put it out. In fact, he reacts so quickly that it seems this is what he expected, although maybe it is burning more than he expected since in case he did plan to extinguish the fire he was clearly ill prepared to do so.

So if it's a prank that went wrong, it's a very strange one. I don't see what his intent would have been.
Merko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:00 PM   #19
genshi
New Blood

I'm surprised there hasn't been an update to this here in this thread, but in the latest issue of "Magic" magazine Wayne explains his side of what happened.

It seems the host, Franklin Barazarte, who is not normally the host of that show (he is the Producer and Director and his wife is usually the host) seemed to have planned this as he was not even paying attention to Wayne and his team during the interview; as if he was preoccupied. Then, as they were saying their goodbyes on air, the host asked to "bless" Wayne, and after having a bottle of "Spirit Water" (Agua de Florida, a flammable cologne) poured and lit in his hands, dumped it and then spread it all over Wayne's head! The host's excuse was that he was trying to cleanse Wayne of evil spirits!

The article is worth a read to get Wayne's side of the events, and it doesn't really make me yearn to perform magic in extremely superstitious countries such as the Dominican Republic...
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:26 PM   #20
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been an update to this here in this thread, but in the latest issue of "Magic" magazine Wayne explains his side of what happened.

It seems the host, Franklin Barazarte, who is not normally the host of that show (he is the Producer and Director and his wife is usually the host) seemed to have planned this as he was not even paying attention to Wayne and his team during the interview; as if he was preoccupied. Then, as they were saying their goodbyes on air, the host asked to "bless" Wayne, and after having a bottle of "Spirit Water" (Agua de Florida, a flammable cologne) poured and lit in his hands, dumped it and then spread it all over Wayne's head! The host's excuse was that he was trying to cleanse Wayne of evil spirits!

The article is worth a read to get Wayne's side of the events, and it doesn't really make me yearn to perform magic in extremely superstitious countries such as the Dominican Republic...

In that issue there is also a picture of Wayne from late December, and it's great to see how he's coming along--the burns look like a bad sunburn, and maybe not even that.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner