ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
monoman
Master baiter - I fish!

Anyone know why the JREF director of communications has resigned, out of protest?

See here on Carrie Poppy's twitter.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

What is the Twitter equivalent of Vaguebooking?

Prediction: It will be something melodramatic and stupid.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 04:44 PM   #3
monoman
Master baiter - I fish!

Yeh, it's a bit counter-productive to do it out of protest and then not tell anyone what the protest is!
Old 26th November 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
monoman
Master baiter - I fish!

I sincerely hope it's nothing melodramatic. Hopefully it's something as simple as someone continually nicking her lunch from the JREF fridge.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Bell
beautiful freak

Memo:

There are rumors of a lack of communication on the work floor. Why wasn't I told this?

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Originally Posted by monoman View Post
I sincerely hope it's nothing melodramatic. Hopefully it's something as simple as someone continually nicking her lunch from the JREF fridge.
Well, if you call nicking the baggie of Tim Tams and leaving the rest NOT melodramatic...
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 06:39 PM   #7
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Nicking the TimTams should be a firing offense!
Old 27th November 2012, 12:54 PM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

See here on Carrie Poppy's twitter.
One example is that your link does not work. Has the page being deleted? Or is this an example of poor communications?

Edit. However this link does work https://twitter.com/search?q=CarriePoppyYES

Quote:
Hi. Yes, I resigned out of protest. I'm sorry I can't say more right now. Please bear with me, and thanks for the outpouring of support.
Edit3. Better link https://twitter.com/CarriePoppyYES/s...02255708250112

Last edited by rjh01; 27th November 2012 at 12:59 PM.
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Soapy Sam
NLH

Hmm.

https://twitter.com/search?q=CarriePoppyYES
I thought I posted a load of incomprehensible nonsense until I read that.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:49 PM   #10
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

Yeh, it's a bit counter-productive to do it out of protest and then not tell anyone what the protest is!
Unless it is the rarely used secondary meaning of "protest."
Old 27th November 2012, 03:20 PM   #11
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by TsarBomba View Post
Unless it is the rarely used secondary meaning of "protest."
My dictionary says that the definition of the word protest includes

Quote:
A written declaration, typically by a notary public, that a bill has been presented and payment or acceptance refused
Is that what you were referring to?
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
My dictionary says that the definition of the word protest includes

Is that what you were referring to?
Actually it was a very heavily veiled reference to the scene in the Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, where Ford tells Arthur that he is "safe" and Arthur says that it must be an obscure alternate usage of "safe" that he was previously unfamiliar with.
Old 1st December 2012, 03:11 AM   #13
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

I wonder if the Director of Communications is responsible for the website, because she's currently still listed as being on the staff.

So, has anyone found out why she left? I notice there is an interview with her on the skepchick website.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 04:58 AM   #14
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I wonder if the Director of Communications is responsible for the website, because she's currently still listed as being on the staff.

So, has anyone found out why she left? I notice there is an interview with her on the skepchick website.
I was going to mention that. Also this is the website that at least 2 years or so ago, they said was going to get a design overhaul. Let's face it , as Joomla sites go. it's pretty dull and uninspiring.
According to her tweet she would have resigned 10 days or more ago but kept quiet about it. I think she's gone to work for Peta , if she wasn't already doing so, as that was one of her causes.

Quote:
Carrie Poppy ‏@CarriePoppyYES
@BladderBarnacle I quit in protest. But now I'm going to go work in animal rights and I am thrilled.
But indeed . Gone on protest of what?

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 1st December 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 06:33 AM   #15
RoseMontague
Published Author

They would probably tell us but that would require communication. My bet is that they don't fill the position.
Old 1st December 2012, 06:43 AM   #16
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by RoseMontague View Post
They would probably tell us but that would require communication. My bet is that they don't fill the position.
Really? Why not?

I expect they will, but it seems they have a fairly high turnover of staff for such a small organisation, and there often (from what little hints I've seen dropped) seems to be a difference of opinion involved, rather than people simply moving on to another job. Obviously, though, this is not a place that those people are going to discuss it.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 06:50 AM   #17
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Nah, we don't get much communication from JREF, apart from the usual requests for money around this time of year.

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 1st December 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
Nah, we don't get much communication from JREF, apart from the usual requests for money around this time of year.
^ likes this post ^
Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Hmm.

I used to commend people who "'put the E into JREF.

I am considering a similar commendation for those who "put the twit into twitter" but am pretty sure I am not the first to come up with that joke.

I admit that I do not care for twitter as a form of communication.
I thus rarely access tweets. (I do run across a lot of twits but that's a different matter).

I am thus not in a position to determine whether or not her comments are more standard twit-prose, or more standard twitter-prose.

Director of communications: with that title, I'd be sure to make my public communications succinct, clear, and incisive. As I'm not in that job ... this is peanut gallery sniping.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 12:09 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Quote:
Carrie Poppy ‏@CarriePoppyYES
@BladderBarnacle I quit in protest. But now I'm going to go work in animal rights and I am thrilled.
Is it possible she's talking about a different job, as in she had more than one?
Old 1st December 2012, 12:12 PM   #20
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is it possible she's talking about a different job, as in she had more than one?
Not when she earlier said, as rjh01 linked to,
Originally Posted by @CarriePoppyYES
Hi. Yes, I resigned out of protest. I'm sorry I can't say more right now. Please bear with me, and thanks for the outpouring of support.
Old 1st December 2012, 12:16 PM   #21
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Hmm.

To be fair, she did say on 27th:
Quote:
Welcome, new followers. You will be disappointed. It's mostly one-liners with IRONIC SHOUTING.

There are several different ways to use Twitter, and some of them seem to depend on which client you use how well they work. Some people seem to have conversations with it, but I've not really got the hang of that (and having a conversation that everyone can see seems daft to me, anyway). I just follow some interesting people, tweet alerts about some upcoming events (mainly Skeptics in the Pub), and follow a couple of hashtags.
Old 1st December 2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Not when she earlier said, as rjh01 linked to,
Where does that say what/where she resigned from?

I'm not saying she didn't. I have no clue. I'm just saying there may be other possibilities here.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st December 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 01:50 PM   #23
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

She is going to work for animal rights. Reference https://twitter.com/CarriePoppyYES/s...32382521806849

Edit. I also agree with Skeptic Ginger. Cannot see where she explicitly mentions JREF. But she does not mention any other organisation either.

Last edited by rjh01; 1st December 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 1st December 2012, 02:58 PM   #24
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
^ likes this post ^

I used to commend people who "'put the E into JREF.

I am considering a similar commendation for those who "put the twit into twitter" but am pretty sure I am not the first to come up with that joke.

I admit that I do not care for twitter as a form of communication.
I thus rarely access tweets. (I do run across a lot of twits but that's a different matter).

I am thus not in a position to determine whether or not her comments are more standard twit-prose, or more standard twitter-prose.

Director of communications: with that title, I'd be sure to make my public communications succinct, clear, and incisive. As I'm not in that job ... this is peanut gallery sniping.
And you've never been prosecuted? Quick, what's the secret?
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 03:43 PM   #25
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Acleron View Post
And you've never been prosecuted? Quick, what's the secret?
Run across means encounter, not run over.

Are you a non-native English speaker?

Not all prepositions have identical meanings, ya see.

EDIT:

Hmm, maybe this thread ought to be full of congratulations for her getting a new job with PETA?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 1st December 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Looks like she's going to work for PETA. Given that, it's anybody's guess what the "protest" was regarding, but I have some suspicions.
Old 1st December 2012, 06:36 PM   #27
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Where does that say what/where she resigned from?

I'm not saying she didn't. I have no clue. I'm just saying there may be other possibilities here.
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Edit. I also agree with Skeptic Ginger. Cannot see where she explicitly mentions JREF. But she does not mention any other organisation either.
The one that the OP linked to originally did say that she had resigned from the JREF in protest (specifically naming the organization) but Ms. Poppy apparently deleted it. However, it was still showing up in Google Cache a few days ago when I looked. It said, "I resigned from my position at JREF out of protest. I wish them all well and continue to respect and admire Randi. Thx for support."

Last edited by LashL; 1st December 2012 at 06:44 PM.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 08:18 PM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
The one that the OP linked to originally did say that she had resigned from the JREF in protest (specifically naming the organization) but Ms. Poppy apparently deleted it. However, it was still showing up in Google Cache a few days ago when I looked. It said, "I resigned from my position at JREF out of protest. I wish them all well and continue to respect and admire Randi. Thx for support."
Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder why she'd delete that it was from the JREF but not that, "I resigned in protest"?

Anyway, I'll just lurk now until there is more to go on.
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:16 AM   #29
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Looks like she's going to work for PETA. Given that, it's anybody's guess what the "protest" was regarding, but I have some suspicions.
Maybe the JREF wasn't nutty enough? Or she caught Randi eating a baloney sandwich.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:56 AM   #30
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Given all the love the majority of JREFers regularly show for PETA, I'm totally stumped...
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:39 AM   #31
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

As evidenced here:

http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/pro...rgetid=profile

She appears to have worked for (or at least with) PETA before she worked with JREF. It should come as no surprise that she would continue to work for (or with) them whether she's at JREF or not. I also find it hard to believe (argument from incredulity) that she was unaware of the feelings of many skeptics about PETA before she took the JREF job. In other words, I don't think PETA has anything to do with any of this.

Time will tell (hopefully),

Ward
Old 2nd December 2012, 03:02 PM   #32
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
As evidenced here:

http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/pro...rgetid=profile

She appears to have worked for (or at least with) PETA before she worked with JREF. It should come as no surprise that she would continue to work for (or with) them whether she's at JREF or not. I also find it hard to believe (argument from incredulity) that she was unaware of the feelings of many skeptics about PETA before she took the JREF job. In other words, I don't think PETA has anything to do with any of this.

Time will tell (hopefully),

Ward
From what I can say it is not only the skeptic which consider the PETA a bunch of twit. Look up online the number of page ridiculing PETA, calling them out for their support of ALF, and similar. Too many to be "skeptic only". PETA isn't especially well liked from what I can tell, and it is a general feeling.

PS: I forwarded twitter domains a facebook domains a long time ago to 127.0.0.1 and such thread remind me always why.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 05:50 PM   #33
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Totally true, which suggests that her feelings about PETA probably had nothing to do with her resignation from JREF, since (some) skeptics are not unique in their derision of PETA. Also, I doubt her feelings about PETA were any secret when JREF hired her in the first place. I don't see a connection.

Ward
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:35 PM   #34
Tarot_Is_A_Card_Game!
Thinker

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
From what I can say it is not only the skeptic which consider the PETA a bunch of twit. Look up online the number of page ridiculing PETA, calling them out for their support of ALF, and similar. Too many to be "skeptic only". PETA isn't especially well liked from what I can tell, and it is a general feeling.

PS: I forwarded twitter domains a facebook domains a long time ago to 127.0.0.1 and such thread remind me always why.

ALF?
People Enabling Terrorist Activity!
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:04 AM   #35
davefoc
Philosopher

I know absolutely nothing about this. If anybody is looking for facts they should skip to the next post where there is a chance he might find some.

Before I saw this thread I didn't even know that JREF had a director of communications or that somebody named Carry Poppy (Is that a real name?) worked for JREF. However my complete lack of knowledge about the Carry Poppy situation will not preclude me from speculating about it:

Carry Poppy was working on an event and she wanted JREF to let her publicize the event on their site and they wouldn't let her do it. So she quit.

Almost certainly wrong, but I did warn you if you wanted facts you should have skipped to the next post.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:23 AM   #36
RoseMontague
Published Author

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
I know absolutely nothing about this. If anybody is looking for facts they should skip to the next post where there is a chance he might find some.

Before I saw this thread I didn't even know that JREF had a director of communications or that somebody named Carry Poppy (Is that a real name?) worked for JREF. However my complete lack of knowledge about the Carry Poppy situation will not preclude me from speculating about it:

Carry Poppy was working on an event and she wanted JREF to let her publicize the event on their site and they wouldn't let her do it. So she quit.

Almost certainly wrong, but I did warn you if you wanted facts you should have skipped to the next post.
Good to cross your path again Dave, hope you have been well. On facebook she describes her job situation as winning the lottery, losing the ticket, and then finding it again. She sure seems to be active and perhaps activist would be a good description. Nice article on skepchick. Good on her. With as many causes she supports and some of those being somewhat controversial, I am not surprised that she found herself in a dispute over one of them at the JREF. You might be right, maybe we will find out.
Old 4th December 2012, 02:17 AM   #37
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RoseMontague View Post
Good to cross your path again Dave, hope you have been well. On facebook she describes her job situation as winning the lottery, losing the ticket, and then finding it again. She sure seems to be active and perhaps activist would be a good description. Nice article on skepchick. Good on her. With as many causes she supports and some of those being somewhat controversial, I am not surprised that she found herself in a dispute over one of them at the JREF. You might be right, maybe we will find out.
Nice to hear from you again also. Hope all is well for you. I haven't followed the Amanda Knox case much since the acquittal. I lurked for awhile in the thread but eventually I lost interest. There were miscellaneous loose ends when I stopped following it and it would be interesting to see where things stand today.

I was a little embarrassed that you happened by to see such a lame post by me, but I wanted to subscribe to the thread and I didn't have anything to say so I thought I'd just make something up.

As to something remotely related to the topic: She seems like an interesting woman, I hope all goes well for her in her new ventures.

davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 03:00 AM   #38
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
I wanted to subscribe to the thread and I didn't have anything to say so I thought I'd just make something up.
You can also click on "Thread Tools" and select "Subscribe".
Old 4th December 2012, 11:56 AM   #39
CriticalThanking
Designated Hitter

She found the pic of DJ scoopin' up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head.
CriticalThanking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 12:43 PM   #40
davefoc
Philosopher

You can also click on "Thread Tools" and select "Subscribe".
I always figured there was some way but never went looking. Thanks, although it eliminates one excuse I had for writing something despite a complete absence of knowledge or evidence on the subject. I don't think this will stop me though, I will just need to find another excuse.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF