ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st December 2012, 04:38 PM   #1
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

What book are you listening to right now?

What is in your audiobook library?
Old 2nd December 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Originally Posted by h.g.Whiz View Post
What is in your audiobook library?
I don't have an audiobook library, but the last one I listened to was "Under the Banner of Heaven", by Krakauer (twice). I also listened to "The Handmaid's Tale" at about the same time (did not like). I've recently developed a new admiration for those who make audiobooks, having put up a recording of the first chapter of one of my books. What a pain/drag and boy do I hate to hear myself speak. I might be able to narrate a cartoon, but never something serious!
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 04:11 PM   #3
DallasDad
Muse

We have a whole-house audio system that can play any of our MP3s or audio books.

One of my sons has Asperger's, and the whole family has had to listen to Lord of the Rings for the past three years. Unless an adult turns it off or forces a track change, we're listening to the Lord of the Rings. The rest of us have all 48+ hours of the unabridged version memorized by now.

Wanna trade kids?
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
We have a whole-house audio system that can play any of our MP3s or audio books.

One of my sons has Asperger's, and the whole family has had to listen to Lord of the Rings for the past three years. Unless an adult turns it off or forces a track change, we're listening to the Lord of the Rings. The rest of us have all 48+ hours of the unabridged version memorized by now.

Wanna trade kids?
Yikes. Could have been a worse choice, though. Imagine if it was Melville or something.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:30 PM   #5
DallasDad
Muse

Ah, I forgot that we had a six-month run of Ender's Game in there. LotR never went away, but he listened to EG at bedtime. He either memorized it or got tired of it, because I haven't head him select it for over a year now.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 04:14 AM   #6
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

I was listening to the BBC radioplay version of Pamela Branch's The Wooden Overcoat earlier. It's only an hour, so it's rather abridged (adaption by Mark Gatiss) but not bad. Though David Tennant could have done with reducing the Scots accent.
catsmate1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Floyt
Chordate

John Irving, "A Widow for a Year". Before that, Harry Potter - the lot (the Stephen Fry version). Before that, "The Name of the Rose". It sure is nice to get to enjoy all these books I'm interested in but can't be bothered to actually read, while wrangling spreadsheets.
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:40 AM   #8
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Flatland
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:10 AM   #9
paiute
Graduate Poster

The Sharpe series. Currently on Sharpe's Revenge.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Retrograde
Muse

My current in-house listening is J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy. It shares one thing with the Harry Potter series - a desperate need for editing. Mildly interesting, could be cut in half, though. Before that were George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords (also in need of severe editing) and David McCullough's The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris, which wasn't nearly long enough. My walking around listening on the little mp3 player is currently David Copperfield, which I'm enjoying a lot: I never knew England had ecclesiastical courts in the 19th century that could excommunicate people!
Retrograde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 12:19 AM   #11
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

T. H. White's The Once and Future King. I'm not always keen on listening to books - so much depends on the narrator - but I'm enjoying this one a lot.
Old 4th December 2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
T. H. White's The Once and Future King. I'm not always keen on listening to books - so much depends on the narrator - but I'm enjoying this one a lot.
What's the version? I might be interested in picking this one up if it's narrated well - I have & enjoy the book.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:04 AM   #13
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
What's the version? I might be interested in picking this one up if it's narrated well - I have & enjoy the book.
From Audible.com, narrated by Neville Jason.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:10 AM   #14
DallasDad
Muse

Q for the group: The last time I bought something from audible.com, it would only play on my computer. It wasn't standard MP3 format, so I couldn't transfer it to the memory stick in my car. Does Audible now delivery standard MP3's? They have a bunch of titles I would happily buy if only I could move the files from house to car and back as needed.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
From Audible.com, narrated by Neville Jason.
Thanks.
Old 5th December 2012, 07:46 AM   #16
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Q for the group: The last time I bought something from audible.com, it would only play on my computer. It wasn't standard MP3 format, so I couldn't transfer it to the memory stick in my car. Does Audible now delivery standard MP3's? They have a bunch of titles I would happily buy if only I could move the files from house to car and back as needed.
No, I think they're a DRM'd form of AAC. Definitely not standard MP3, whatever they are.
Old 5th December 2012, 07:48 AM   #17
headscratcher4
Philosopher

Plantagentets -- a history of a dynasty

-- Homer Simpson
headscratcher4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 04:01 AM   #18
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Try here for conversion instructions.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 05:12 AM   #19
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
I don't have an audiobook library, but the last one I listened to was "Under the Banner of Heaven", by Krakauer (twice). I also listened to "The Handmaid's Tale" at about the same time (did not like). I've recently developed a new admiration for those who make audiobooks, having put up a recording of the first chapter of one of my books. What a pain/drag and boy do I hate to hear myself speak. I might be able to narrate a cartoon, but never something serious!
Let someone else hear it and decide, nobody likes hearing their own voice.
Old 10th December 2012, 06:18 AM   #20
DallasDad
Muse

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Try here for conversion instructions.
Thanks. Seems way more complicated and annoying than needed, but should work. I've done very similar things for other needs.

I noticed yesterday when ordering a textual book from Amazon that also came in an MP3 (not Audible) version, that they not only offered both for the same price, but pointed out the new Kindles would keep track, so you could listen while driving and then pick up reading later without skipping a beat.

Now THAT's some clever thinking. I only saw it for the one book, though. We can hope it will spread.
Old 11th December 2012, 08:40 AM   #21
kedo1981
Master Poster

"a feast for crows" and "a universe out of nothing"

I readily admit I donít know enough to say for sure that there is no God.
But I do know enough so say that anyone who claims to know the mind and will of a being such as God is a liar.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 03:53 AM   #22
pandamonium
Student

Thanks. Seems way more complicated and annoying than needed, but should work. I've done very similar things for other needs.

I noticed yesterday when ordering a textual book from Amazon that also came in an MP3 (not Audible) version, that they not only offered both for the same price, but pointed out the new Kindles would keep track, so you could listen while driving and then pick up reading later without skipping a beat.

Now THAT's some clever thinking. I only saw it for the one book, though. We can hope it will spread.
I think you're talking about WhisperSync--I've seen it for several books on Audible now that Audible is owned by Amazon. It's a neat idea, but not something I'd do.

I'm currently listening to "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I've heard good things.
pandamonium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 08:22 AM   #23
Multivac
Master Poster

A world of Ptavvs
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 07:03 PM   #24
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

The Anti-Christ. F.N.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts