ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2012, 01:47 AM   #281
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by megaresp View Post
Americans also incorrectly refer to the hash symbol (#) as the pound sign. As all truly civilised people know the correct symbol for pound is: £
When I worked for IBM we had a visit from the IBM National Language Support Center of Competence guys from Toronto (I think). The lead guy kept insisting that brits called "#" the pound sign. That filled us with confidence.
Old 5th July 2012, 01:49 AM   #282
Wudang
BOFH

Well I take back some of my negative comments about the PC. It's user interface has finally come of age - check it out!! http://www.commandtechnology.com/
Old 14th November 2012, 02:15 AM   #283
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

A new "web site" has been published (at my count that makes 437 "pages" now on the "web") with some tips for this "operating system":

http://windows95tips.tumblr.com/
Old 14th November 2012, 11:28 AM   #284
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

For those interested in US politics, check out Bob Dole's slick new website.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:49 PM   #285
Apathia
Illuminator

And did you know that you can customize your Windows 95 Desktop to an elegance and beauty Windows 8 is incapable?

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 06:40 AM   #286
uk_dave
Philosopher

Windows 8? Isn't that pre-world war 1?
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 12:49 PM   #287
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
For those interested in US politics, check out Bob Dole's slick new website.
I remember Bob Dole gave the URL of his web site at the end of one of the debates with Clinton, I never visited the site until NOW!

(Great, maybe this will help me decide who to vote for...)
Moon-Spinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 07:55 PM   #288
sopclod
Student

I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned but...

I remember being stunned that pressing the power button on my PC didn't turn it off anymore. WTF??
sopclod is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 05:27 AM   #289
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by sopclod View Post
I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned but...

I remember being stunned that pressing the power button on my PC didn't turn it off anymore. WTF??
They started making them out of poor quality stuff. Just hold it down for a few seconds and it works. Or you may have a sturdier rocker switch on the back that will work.
Old 19th November 2012, 08:28 AM   #290
Soapy Sam
NLH

Why would you expect the START button to stop it?
I think you lack intuition.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 08:33 AM   #291
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
I think you lack intuition.
Is it on the install disc or do I have to buy it in the shops?
Old 20th November 2012, 06:21 AM   #292
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Is it on the install disc or do I have to buy it in the shops?
If you want it, you need to switch to the Amiga computer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition_(Amiga)

Greetings,

Chris
Christian Klippel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 10:41 AM   #293
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Christian Klippel View Post
If you want it, you need to switch to the Amiga computer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition_(Amiga)

Greetings,

Chris
<sneer> I prefer my Atari STFM, thank you.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:05 PM   #294
sopclod
Student

They started making them out of poor quality stuff. Just hold it down for a few seconds and it works. Or you may have a sturdier rocker switch on the back that will work.
I'm talking about push buttons. Rather than just look it up I swear that on my DOS based PC pressing the power button turned it off immediately, while the five second thing came with Windows 95. The problem is I had no idea about that until years later.

In fact even today if you are in the BIOS or some other non-Windows state pressing the power button turns the PC off immediately.
sopclod is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 05:46 AM   #295
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

I'm talking about push buttons. Rather than just look it up I swear that on my DOS based PC pressing the power button turned it off immediately, while the five second thing came with Windows 95. The problem is I had no idea about that until years later.

In fact even today if you are in the BIOS or some other non-Windows state pressing the power button turns the PC off immediately.
That's because nowdays the power-button is more of a "soft button". The OS can switch off the computer. The BIOS handles the power button, passing it through the OS if wanted.

Normally, only pressing it once "normally" will put the computer into deep sleep, from which it can wake up faster than what a regular boot would take. Plus, it restores the state of the machine, that is, everything is back to the state it was in when you pressed the button.

It _can_ be configured so that a single push will turn it off, in that case the OS will shut down in a clean way and then switch off the machine.

It's generally a bad idea to simply switch of the computer without having it properly shut down first. It likely leads to data corruption on the harddrives.

Greetings,

Chris
Christian Klippel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 06:31 AM   #296
Furi
Felix Sapiens

LOL I have just put a nasty message on my Web page in white text for insulting all of you Internet Explorer lusers that can't read my black background page formatted for netscape.

Anyone know where I can get a spare caddy for my CD Rom, Also I have another IDE port on my sound card, Can't wait to fire that up.

My Vesa Card won't run some software, so I will be updating my machine I think I have the perfect Games Machine sorted but a little help would be nice.

Looking at
7Bay Tower (7 5.25 bays and 8 3.5 Internal) 4 floppy drives
Full Form AT gigabyte board (512k Cache)
one of those 686 200s Hah intel will never catch up, Cyrix is the future
6-8 Mb of EDO ram Depends on the price it is so variable
An 80Mb Western Digital Hard Disk + 2 20Mb SCSIs external
A Millenium Graphics card on PCI with a Voodoo2 accelerator
A 16b Yamaha SoundForce card (With Game port)
And a new 33.6 k modem, I might get one of the new Windows Modems when they come out soon)

gonna get me one of those funky rounded split keyboard things and a force feedback mouse as well,

Any suggestions but I think the above will beat the pants off my Amiga 4000/40, (I mean it is 5x slower, so I'll have to sell that first to get the above power house)

*Sobs uncontrollably at the memory *

Last edited by Furi; 24th November 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Furi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 06:51 AM   #297
Soapy Sam
NLH

Four floppies! Don't be ridiculous.
What would anyone need with so much data?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 12:41 PM   #298
Furi
Felix Sapiens

Yarr

: Distribution :
Furi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 04:26 PM   #299
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Well, i have heard that soon we will have those new floppies that can hold as much data as 60 or 70 of these old floppies! Hmm, what was their name again... ZupDrive? ZapDrive? Something along those lines. Ah, right, ZipDrive!

That's definitely the future. Instead of those chunky hard disk drives we can then use these new floppies.

Greetings,

Chris
Old 26th November 2012, 04:32 PM   #300
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Furi View Post
: Distribution :
Yeah, forget this web browser rubbish. Get a newsreader fired up and check out the alt.binaries.pictures groups.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:43 PM   #301
Ocelot
Illuminator

Well, i have heard that soon we will have those new floppies that can hold as much data as 60 or 70 of these old floppies! Hmm, what was their name again... ZupDrive? ZapDrive? Something along those lines. Ah, right, ZipDrive!

That's definitely the future. Instead of those chunky hard disk drives we can then use these new floppies.

Greetings,

Chris
A friend of a friend has one of those CD writers. He says I can borrow it if I get a SCSI card to plug it in to.

It can write a music CD in a quarter of the time it take to play one and you can also store data on them.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:49 PM   #302
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
A friend of a friend has one of those CD writers. He says I can borrow it if I get a SCSI card to plug it in to.
If you need help with the SCSI a pal of mine has a goat that's pretty ill that he was planning to get rid of.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:56 PM   #303
Ocelot
Illuminator

Is it self terminating? I got blood all over my shirt the last time I played with SCSI
Old 27th November 2012, 12:44 PM   #304
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Yeah, forget this web browser rubbish. Get a newsreader fired up and check out the alt.binaries.pictures groups.
Careful though. I spent nearly an hour downloading a pic of a "naked female"
but when it was decoded and appeared it was a chimpanzee and wasn't even female.
I felt so cheated.

-
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #305
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I don't understand what you people mean by "downloading a picture," or "windows," or "blue screen."

The North Star computer that I have been using has a great keyboard, and all the characters that I type appear immediately on the screen, following a little "greater than" sign, like this:

>

I can type there, and when I press <Enter>, the computer does what I tell it to do ... most of the time. Unless I tell it the wrong thing. Then it types back at me, with something like "That is an improper instruction." *

If I use the PDP-8 and I want to save the session, I merely tear the paper off the roll on the teletype machine and I've got it. "Voyla!" as I heard someone say recently.

What more do I need?

*How did the computer hear what I was saying? I thought I just muttered that imprecation.

Last edited by xterra; 30th November 2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: PDP
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 03:27 PM   #306
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Just downloaded the newest WinNuke. It's great - really simplified, you just type in their IP address and click "Nuke". Awesome! I got it, my ICMP bomber, port listener, and NukeNabber all on a floppy so I can use them on any computer at school I happen to be on. NukeNabber is so sick - I had my friend try to nuke me and it caught it, no problem. And I got all of them hidden on the disk in like a nest of folders arranged like a number pad, that in order to get to them you've got to go through the right "code number". I'm so awesome, I'm like unstoppable now.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 04:33 PM   #307
Ocelot
Illuminator

That's evil. I hope you catch a macro virus
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:50 AM   #308
Wudang
BOFH

Just don't open any emails with the title "Good times!". Email all your friends to warn them. It wipes all your data, sets your PC on fire and gives you STDs.

Last edited by Wudang; 3rd December 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:19 AM   #309
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that's just silly. PCs are an ISA bus, not STD.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 09:56 AM   #310
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

I already have OS/2.
Enjoy your new-fangled crapola. I'm stickin w/DOS. Forces tight programming.

GUIs are for wimps and people too dum to handle a real OS.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2012, 01:26 AM   #311
CORed
Philosopher

That's because nowdays the power-button is more of a "soft button". The OS can switch off the computer. The BIOS handles the power button, passing it through the OS if wanted.

Normally, only pressing it once "normally" will put the computer into deep sleep, from which it can wake up faster than what a regular boot would take. Plus, it restores the state of the machine, that is, everything is back to the state it was in when you pressed the button.

It _can_ be configured so that a single push will turn it off, in that case the OS will shut down in a clean way and then switch off the machine.

It's generally a bad idea to simply switch of the computer without having it properly shut down first. It likely leads to data corruption on the harddrives.

Greetings,

Chris
On the old AT PC's, the power button was a hardware switch on the 110V hot lead to the power supply. If you opened the case with the PC plugged in, the terminals on that switch would give you a nice jolt of 110V AC if you were careless enough to touch them. If you ran Windows 95 on such a machine, whe you shut down the OS, instead of powering off the computer, it would display a screen that said, "It is now safe to turn off your computer".

Last edited by CORed; 18th December 2012 at 01:32 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet