ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th December 2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Charlie Crist formally joins Democrats to make final split from GOP

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-democrats-gop

Charlie Crist formally joins Democrats to make final split from GOP

Former Florida governor Charlie Crist has completed his political conversion, announcing on Twitter that he has joined the Democrats as a result of the Republican party's swing to the right.

The one-time GOP politician, who ran unsuccessfully for the US Senate as an independent, had earlier signalled his support for President Barack Obama and campaigned on his behalf ahead of the November election.

News that Crist has formalised the move to the Democratic party will prompt speculation that he may lobby for a run at his old seat in the 2014 gubernatorial race in Florida.

The 56-year-old politician tweeted out a picture of him and his wife Carole holding aloft a Florida voter registration application.

The accompanying message read: "Proud and honored to join the Democratic Party in the home of President @BarackObama."
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

I'm not a Democrat but I certainly can relate.

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And the GOP will say "he was just a RINO anyway."
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

Well, he does seem like a guy who could play for either team.

mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 07:34 PM   #5
balrog666
Eigenmode: Cynic

Did anyone notice?

Political language… is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. – George Orwell
balrog666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Right now the DNC leadership is looking into whether they can reject his application.
Old 8th December 2012, 08:17 PM   #7
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I like how the Conservatives in the thread can't see that this is a symptom of how the GOP is alienating most of the population.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

A guy switches parties to join the party in power, as happens commonly.

Let's draw deep, eternal conclusions from this about perma-changes to political landscapes.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 01:43 AM   #9
UTLonghorn
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
A guy switches parties to join the party in power, as happens commonly.

Let's draw deep, eternal conclusions from this about perma-changes to political landscapes.
Yes, it can't have anything to do with his personal convictions or belief that his former party has been take over by a far right ideological purists and demagogues.
Old 9th December 2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Chaos
TAM Chocolate Dispenser

Originally Posted by UTLonghorn View Post
Yes, it can't have anything to do with his personal convictions or belief that his former party has been take over by a far right ideological purists and demagogues.
Cut him some slack, okay? It isn´t easy to understand that some people might be motivated by something other than myopic egoism.
Folks enjoy a witch-hunt as long as they are on the blunt end of the pitchfork. - Suezoled
You can't use logic to talk a man out of a position that he didn't use logic to get himself into - passed down by Nyarlathotep
Kids these days are better than their parents since they constitute the newest edition, the beta version of our societies - Cleopatra
You´ll have to accept the fact that some people are just plain nuts. - Paul C. Anagnostopolous
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 03:07 AM   #11
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

His personal beliefs? You mean these ones?

"I'm about as conservative as you can get ... I'm a Jeb Bush Republican ... President Bush is a leader of courage and conviction ... I was impressed at Gov. Palin being picked. I watched her speech today, I was very impressed ... I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, anti-tax Republican ... I think it's important for people to understand who the true conservative is in this race, and it's Charlie Crist."

Yeah, I'm totally sure those beliefs led Crist to become a Democrat.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 08:59 AM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

"I'm about as conservative as you can get ... I'm a Jeb Bush Republican ... President Bush is a leader of courage and conviction ... I was impressed at Gov. Palin being picked. I watched her speech today, I was very impressed ... I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, anti-tax Republican ... I think it's important for people to understand who the true conservative is in this race, and it's Charlie Crist."

Maybe he's gay.

What?!? Why are you looking at me like that? I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 09:33 AM   #13
UTLonghorn
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

It's possible that it's purely a political move on his part, but note that I said his decision could possibly be due to the far right shift of the party, which seems to be what he is saying.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ow-a-democrat/
Quote:
“I’ve had friends for years tell me, ‘You know Charlie, you’re a Democrat and you don’t know it,’” he told the Times on Friday, adding that his decision was based on the rightward shift in the Republican Party.

“What changed is the leadership of the Republican Party,” he said. “As I said at the convention, I didn’t leave the Republican Party, it left me. Whether the issue was immigration, or education, or you name it — the environment. I feel at home now.”
Crist, despite hyping up his "conservatism" during election years, has always been a moderate. And he might have believed the things he said about Palin when she was initially picked as VP. However, he was a major player in McCain's campaign, so I suspect it was probably more of a case of him just paying lip service for the sake of the campaign.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It's possible that it's purely a political move on his part, but note that I said his decision could possibly be due to the far right shift of the party, which seems to be what he is saying.
Yes, that's what he's saying now, but before he bailed, he was claiming he was at the far right of the party. His claims are incompatible and he has no credibility.

Quote:
Crist, despite hyping up his "conservatism" during election years, has always been a moderate.
I'm not sure why you think that gets him off the hook. If he was always a moderate then he was lying then, and he could just as easily be lying now.

Quote:
And he might have believed the things he said about Palin when she was initially picked as VP. However, he was a major player in McCain's campaign, so I suspect it was probably more of a case of him just paying lip service for the sake of the campaign.
And you don't think he could be paying lip service to Obama for the sake of his own political prospects?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics