ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Adam Lanza , Connecticut incidents , Nancy Lanza , newtown massacre , Sandy Hook , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Reply
Old 20th December 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,479
Newtown tragedy thread (with no gun control talk)

As I noted elsewhere I am pulling out of the threads on gun control because of my inability to control my emotions on the issue.

But the Newtown tragedy is still an important and developing event.

So I was hoping we could keep appraised of what is going on here and keep the gun control talk elsewhere.



For one thing did we ever find out why they thought Adam's mom worked at the school? And is it true he was turned down for treatment for his disorders?
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,895
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
As I noted elsewhere I am pulling out of the threads on gun control because of my inability to control my emotions on the issue.

But the Newtown tragedy is still an important and developing event.

So I was hoping we could keep appraised of what is going on here and keep the gun control talk elsewhere.



For one thing did we ever find out why they thought Adam's mom worked at the school? And is it true he was turned down for treatment for his disorders?
The last I heard (and please keep in mind that the latest word on this may not yet have been spoken) Mrs. Lanza used to be a parental volunteer at the school
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,479
Yeah, they seemed to just drop that whole topic when it turned out to be wrong. I was really hoping to hear how the confusion came about in the first place.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 08:59 PM   #4
zeggman
Graduate Poster
 
zeggman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,911
This report says the mom had been a volunteer with the kindergartners for many years, and speculates it may have been a "Mom Always Liked You Best" shooting.
zeggman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:06 AM   #5
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 48,035
Apparently there were at least 2 other shooters that the government (or gubmit) is covering up. Just google "shooter in the woods", or something like that.

I learned all this because I have a right wing fundy nut friend on Facebook.
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:32 AM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 33,559
I've been told that Obama arranged the whole thing to distract everyone from Benghazi.
__________________
One cannot expect wisdom to flow from a pumpkin.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:38 AM   #7
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 48,035
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've been told that Obama arranged the whole thing to distract everyone from Benghazi.
And Benghazi was meant to distract everyone from him not being a citizen. How deep does this go?
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:51 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 33,559
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
And Benghazi was meant to distract everyone from him not being a citizen. How deep does this go?
Have you ever noticed that there are no photographs of Obama and Davros together? Its the same guy!!!

Also he's Varys the Spider.
__________________
One cannot expect wisdom to flow from a pumpkin.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 10:13 AM   #9
DJW
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 657
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
And Benghazi was meant to distract everyone from him not being a citizen. How deep does this go?
I once had a really bad concussion, so I can't talk about Benghazi.

Oh wait, this thread is about NewTown...pesky concussion...

I keep wiping away tears. My stomach is in knots thinking about the parents of the dead kids and teachers. I spoke with a few of my daughter's elementary school teachers yesterday, and we were all just a prolonged thought away from breaking down.
DJW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,479
I wonder if the brother will have any legal recourse since his name was up on the news channels for most of the first day.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator
 
Sam.I.Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,614
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I wonder if the brother will have any legal recourse since his name was up on the news channels for most of the first day.
Probably not seeing as it was based upon some (reliable at the time) information. The shooter was carrying his brothers ID after all and depending upon his wounds he might not have been identifiable at the beginning (or the visible difference between the two was negligible enough to be close enough to make the mistake at first. It's not like all ID photos are all that great after a few years depending on if you changed your hairstyle or grew\cut off any facial hair).
__________________
"Swift, silent and deadly" was a part of my job description Upon hearing me say that my friend asked me "So you're a fart?"...

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 10:44 PM   #12
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,965
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I wonder if the brother will have any legal recourse since his name was up on the news channels for most of the first day.
I'd think (I'm not very well versed in civil law) but it's possible, but doubtful that he'd win. I'm not sure honestly.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 11:52 AM   #13
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,599
Good topic, Travis. I've stayed away from the actual news stories about Sandy Hook until they sorted out all the bad information. Has a general consensus of the chain of events been pieced together yet?
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Monketey Ghost
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,257
If it has I haven't heard it. Still a huge question mark over the whole thing and an almost odd vacuum of info. It's almost as if there's nothing to discover or it's undiscoverable.
Monketey Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 12:30 PM   #15
DavidJames
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 8,432
Originally Posted by Monketey Ghost View Post
If it has I haven't heard it. Still a huge question mark over the whole thing and an almost odd vacuum of info. It's almost as if there's nothing to discover or it's undiscoverable.
It probably will require some searching, once they do piece together a timeline, if they ever do. Apparently our attention span for this tragedy has been surpassed, replaced by the gun tragedy in Rochester and the severe weather.
__________________
I will no longer respond to those who choose to have tools of murder as their avatars.
Everyone is a skeptic except, of course, for the stuff that they believe
Beaver Hateman: Is your argument that human life loses value proportionate to the number of humans available? Malcolm Kirkpatrick: That's part of the argument. Value is determined by supply and demand.
DavidJames is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Monketey Ghost
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,257
It's weird: no motive yet. Nothing about why he didn't just kill his mom and leave it at that.

Maybe the info is hidden in an Easter Egg in one of those horrible violent video games. Damn you, Atari!
Monketey Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 12:36 PM   #17
sophia8
Master Poster
 
sophia8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,419
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've been told that Obama arranged the whole thing to distract everyone from Benghazi.
No, you heard wrong. What's been happening with all these mass shootings over the last four years is that Obama's people have been secretly paying all these unstable, easily manipulated types to go berserk with guns. Very soon, public oipnion on guns will be such that he can bring in the UN, seize everybody's guns and introduce sharia law!

Anyway, that's enough about guns.
What finally reduced me to utter bawling was reading this article about one of the victims:
Quote:
As we talk, Ian smiles as his wife explains the significance of the butterflies they both wear. ‘When children are on the autism spectrum, some are rockers or they roll their heads. And some are flappers. Dylan was a flapper. Whenever he got excited or happy, no matter what he was doing, he would flap up and down, up and down and over and over. It was a sign of his joy.
‘I once asked him, “Why do you flap?” Because he had underdeveloped language skills, I was not expecting an answer but he replied, “Because I am a beautiful butterfly.” It meant a great deal to us because children with special needs are that much purer and more innocent and the idea of Dylan as a butterfly, now out of the cocoon of his body... it comforts me.’
__________________
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 08:11 PM   #18
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,965
Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
Anyway, that's enough about guns.
What finally reduced me to utter bawling was reading this article about one of the victims:
Damn you sophia. That just tuggs at my heart's strings. Even more so because I have a high-functioning autistic family member, who also "flapps". I'm literally crying reading the rest of that.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 09:13 PM   #19
wasapi
Master Poster
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,655
Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post
Probably not seeing as it was based upon some (reliable at the time) information. The shooter was carrying his brothers ID after all and depending upon his wounds he might not have been identifiable at the beginning (or the visible difference between the two was negligible enough to be close enough to make the mistake at first. It's not like all ID photos are all that great after a few years depending on if you changed your hairstyle or grew\cut off any facial hair).
Interesting post. [i] I hadn't yet thought about the relationship the shooter may have had with his brother. Short of murdering his brother, he seemed to still want him to experience a piece of hell.

A day has yet to go by that I haven't thought of those children. When I woke up Christmas morning, my first thought was of the families. The unopened presents. Presents that most all parents feel a sharp delight going through them as the watch their little ones rip the packages open.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 01:19 PM   #20
Alareth
Expert Expertologist
 
Alareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,641
Can we discuss the scum like this that oozes out of the sewers when tragedies happen?

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...ting-scam?lite
__________________
Pixelated Reality | Alareth Does Art!

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 01:23 PM   #21
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,599
Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
Can we discuss the scum like this that oozes out of the sewers when tragedies happen?

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...ting-scam?lite
I think so. Five years and $250,000 seems low considering a pageant contestant has to pay Donald Trump's worthless ass $5 million for disparaging Miss World (or whatever it is).
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Graham2001
Muse
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 766
I'm not sure what to make of this, but if true, I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Newtown gunman Adam Lanza "was obsessed" with other mass murderers and wanted to kill more people than Norway's Anders Breivik, US law enforcement officials say.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...-mass-murderer
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2013, 02:23 PM   #23
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 48,035
If only those kids or teachers had been ar....ummm...if they had "something" in their hands, they might be alive today!
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,599
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I'm not sure what to make of this, but if true, I'm not surprised.



http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...-mass-murderer
Gee, I wonder if he learned from the media that shooting a bunch of people was a sure-fire ticket to fame.

The caption to the video on the link:

Quote:
December 21, 2012: Almost a week after Adam Lanza shot dead 26 people in one of America’s worst mass shootings, police say they have no explanation for the atrocity despite intense investigations.
And more than two months later, only speculation remains, hence the inclusion of completely irrelevant information. I'm surprised they didn't spell it "skillz":

Quote:
Police recovered several video games from the basement of Lanza's home, where the troubled young man reportedly spent many hours alone honing his computer shooting skills.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 02:53 AM   #25
Nessie
Philosopher
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,128
Do we know how he got hold of his mother's guns?
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 10:33 AM   #26
Ladewig
Hipster alien
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 19,981
Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
Can we discuss the scum like this that oozes out of the sewers when tragedies happen?

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...ting-scam?lite
Some days, I am proud to be a member of the species homo sapiens.
Other days, not so much.
__________________
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.