ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mail , mozilla , thunderbird , yahoo

Old 30th December 2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Uncle Otto
Critical Thinker

Mozilla Thunderbird/Yahoo Mail Plus Question

So------for the last 2 1/2 years I have been using Yahoo Mail Plus in Mozilla Thunderbird. Nice bells and whistles. Of course, one of them is that I was able to use POP3 to download my Yahoo email account to Thunderbird. Well for a variety of reasons I don't really need it any more. So I canceled the Mail Plus feature with Yahoo. ($20.00 per year)

Now I expected that I would no longer be able to send from T_Bird using the Yahoo account. But what I didn't expect, is that after canceling the service, I am still getting incoming emails for the Yahoo address in T-Bird. It's been several days now and there is still no sign of Yahoo discontinuing that. Obviously I have not deleted the Yahoo account from T-Bird.

I'm certainly not complaining------but can anyone in here tell me why, after I canceled the service, I am still able to get incoming email from the Yahoo account in Thunderbird?

Uncle Otto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Woody-
Thinker

My guess is it is because Yahoo mail is free, only the plus costs money so even though you canceled the paid part of it you still have the email address through the free part of it.
Woody- is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Gagglegnash
Graduate Poster

Official stuff:
How does Yahoo! Mail Plus compare to free Yahoo! Mail?

You may just be running out the Mail Plus stuff to the end of the billing period.
-----Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Last edited by Gagglegnash; 31st December 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Gagglegnash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 02:18 AM   #4
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by Gagglegnash View Post
Official stuff:
You may just be running out the Mail Plus stuff to the end of the billing period.
That would be my first guess, though it is kind of weird the OP implies that their outgoing is already disabled.

Perhaps it's technically just the outgoing that they charge for, and anyone could enable incoming in their mail client if they know what to type?

Last edited by OnlyTellsTruths; 31st December 2012 at 02:20 AM.
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Uncle Otto
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
That would be my first guess, though it is kind of weird the OP implies that their outgoing is already disabled.

Perhaps it's technically just the outgoing that they charge for, and anyone could enable incoming in their mail client if they know what to type?
You are correct. The ability to send outgoing from T-Bird ended only a few minutes after I got the confirmation email from Yahoo in my alternate mail account. But the incoming is so far unaffected.
Uncle Otto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 03:51 AM   #6
Uncle Otto
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Woody- View Post
My guess is it is because Yahoo mail is free, only the plus costs money so even though you canceled the paid part of it you still have the email address through the free part of it.
Yeah and that's what I expected to happen-------that it would just revert to the regular free version of the account. But the anomaly is occurring in Thunderbird.
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Uncle Otto
Critical Thinker

This is Bizarre

Right then. Yesterday I was playing around with Thunderbird. In the Yahoo account I went into the section where you set the outgoing servers. The thing was set on the one that specified "Mail Plus" for Yahoo. Right underneath it in the list was the regular Yahoo server, with no mention of Mail Plus. Just for a giggle, I selected the regular one.

As of a few minutes ago, I can now both send and receive email in Thunderbird using the Yahoo account! I checked online and sure enough-----Yahoo has already posted a pro-rated refund on my credit card for the remaining time I had paid for.

WTH?
Old 4th January 2013, 04:22 AM   #8
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Uncle Otto View Post
You are correct. The ability to send outgoing from T-Bird ended only a few minutes after I got the confirmation email from Yahoo in my alternate mail account. But the incoming is so far unaffected.
If you don't mind, please explain. Are you saying that you have to pay Yahoo to download their mail into Thunderbird? Is this something special with Yahoo mail? I've never known of there being a charge to download any mail from anywhere --- but what do I know? Not much. Maybe this is something different than downloading mail off one's server mail program which I have always done.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Uncle Otto
Critical Thinker

Hazel

Yahoo has the well known free email accounts, and there is a paid premium version that allows you to do certain things you can't do in a free account. You don't have to look at any graphical ads, you can have up to 200 filters in place if you need them, you can have up to 500 disposable email addresses in use at any given time, and you don't have to worry about your account expiring from lack of use. You can also use POP3 or IMAP (depending on who your ISP is) to download Yahoo email from their server to your computer using a program like Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.

In the free accounts you don't get any of those extras, and if you don't sign into the account for (I think) 180 days, it expires. I was paying the annual fee for the premium account, but now I have stopped it. Thunderbird should no longer work with my Yahoo account, but as far as I can tell it still is.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Hazel

Yahoo has the well known free email accounts, and there is a paid premium version that allows you to do certain things you can't do in a free account. You don't have to look at any graphical ads, you can have up to 200 filters in place if you need them, you can have up to 500 disposable email addresses in use at any given time, and you don't have to worry about your account expiring from lack of use. You can also use POP3 or IMAP (depending on who your ISP is) to download Yahoo email from their server to your computer using a program like Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.

In the free accounts you don't get any of those extras, and if you don't sign into the account for (I think) 180 days, it expires. I was paying the annual fee for the premium account, but now I have stopped it. Thunderbird should no longer work with my Yahoo account, but as far as I can tell it still is.
Well, I wrote a response to this and it wouldn't post. Let's see if I can remember what I said. I see now that you are talking about paying for the email itself. I thought you were saying you had to pay to download it to Thunderbird. I've had several servers over the years and always downloaded their mail to (first) Outlook Express and (now) Thunderbird. No problems and no charges. When I first came to Charter, they tried to tell me it could not be done but it could. We set it up just fine. Unless Yahoo knows a way to prevent that download to Thunderbird, seems you should be able to do it.

And, yes, if you don't use Yahoo often enough, they cancel your account. That's why I switched from Yahoo to Google. Don't think they do that. At least they never have - yet.

Thanks.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:55 PM   #11
BowlOfRed
Muse

Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
Unless Yahoo knows a way to prevent that download to Thunderbird, seems you should be able to do it.
The feature sheet suggests that the free version does not allow POP3 access. That would be the way to prevent downloading.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 02:17 PM   #12
Hazel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
The feature sheet suggests that the free version does not allow POP3 access. That would be the way to prevent downloading.
That would be it, then. Competition among the species?
Old 4th January 2013, 03:39 PM   #13
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

Right then. Yesterday I was playing around with Thunderbird. In the Yahoo account I went into the section where you set the outgoing servers. The thing was set on the one that specified "Mail Plus" for Yahoo. Right underneath it in the list was the regular Yahoo server, with no mention of Mail Plus. Just for a giggle, I selected the regular one.

As of a few minutes ago, I can now both send and receive email in Thunderbird using the Yahoo account! I checked online and sure enough-----Yahoo has already posted a pro-rated refund on my credit card for the remaining time I had paid for.

WTH?
Is your incoming server set to imap.mail.yahoo.com? The reason I ask is because there are ways to set up Thunderbird to use a free Yahoo account.
Old 16th January 2013, 04:56 PM   #14
Uncle Otto
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
Is your incoming server set to imap.mail.yahoo.com? The reason I ask is because there are ways to set up Thunderbird to use a free Yahoo account.
Sorry to be so late. It seems I'm not getting email notifications from JREF all of a sudden. To answer your question------no. My Yahoo account in Thunderbird is set up for POP, not IMAP. The reason being that Comcast is my ISP, and they do not support IMAP yet, although they have it in Beta now and it should be available soon.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet