ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags D.I.D. , Dr. Phil , false memory syndrome , Judy Byington , mind control , mpd , multiple personalities , recovered memory therapy , satanic ritual abuse

Old 17th January 2013, 04:14 PM   #1441
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Judy Byington has been spamming versions of this comment all over Amazon:

Originally Posted by Judy Byington
Co-chair of the Utah Governor's Task Force on Satanic Ritual Abuse, Noemi Mattis, JD, PhD, discusses ritual abuse evidence found in a letter to myself 7 August 2003. Find the original on the 22 faces website.
They wrote to her in 2003 and that makes her a consultant NOW?

They wrote to ME in 2012. I'm a consultant, I'm a consultant!
Old 17th January 2013, 05:19 PM   #1442
Orphia Nay
Tagger

T-Shirt by Altus with the current meme at FB:

Old 17th January 2013, 05:28 PM   #1443
ac2012
Student

I can't yet post links in this forum, but if you google Noemi Mattis, you'll see she's had her own brush with satanic panic infamy. The professor who sued her might be worth reaching out to.
ac2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2013, 05:35 PM   #1444
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by ac2012 View Post
I can't yet post links in this forum, but if you google Noemi Mattis, you'll see she's had her own brush with satanic panic infamy. The professor who sued her might be worth reaching out to.
You only need one more post!

Reply to this.

How are you today, ac?
Old 17th January 2013, 05:40 PM   #1445
ac2012
Student

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
You only need one more post!

Reply to this.

How are you today, ac?
Doing well! And can't believe how this has all been unfolding.
ac2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2013, 05:44 PM   #1446
ac2012
Student

Anyways, here is the link. Mattis won a victory Judy would dream of. I wonder what U of U professor John Raskin would have to say about 22 faces?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/4...UM.html?pg=all
Old 17th January 2013, 06:07 PM   #1447
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Judy Byington has been spamming versions of this comment all over Amazon:
Originally Posted by Judy Byington
Co-chair of the Utah Governor's Task Force on Satanic Ritual Abuse, Noemi Mattis, JD, PhD, discusses ritual abuse evidence found in a letter to myself 7 August 2003. Find the original on the 22 faces website.
They wrote to her in 2003 and that makes her a consultant NOW?

They wrote to ME in 2012. I'm a consultant, I'm a consultant!
The fact that Noemi Mattis wrote to Judy doesn't make Judy a consultant; for that, Judy would have had to report to her. Anyway, Mattis was only a member of the Utah's Governor Task Force, which recommended that the Attorney General get allocated funds and institute a second task force to actually find SRA cases. Of course, that was a total waste of money.

Anyway, whatever connection between Judy and the first Task Force cannot in any way prove she was a consultant to the AG, as the AG was not involved with the first Task Force.
Old 17th January 2013, 06:11 PM   #1448
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by ac2012 View Post
Anyways, here is the link. Mattis won a victory Judy would dream of. I wonder what U of U professor John Raskin would have to say about 22 faces?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/4...UM.html?pg=all
Despicable. Especially that the University would not help defend him.

Anyone who believes in SRA is an idiot and should have their therapeutic licence revoked. There, I defamed you, so sue me, Ms Mattis.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:14 AM   #1449
Altus
Critical Thinker

You get a hint here of the route the Dr. Phil show could have taken without this thread. All hail, Orphia! https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6mnfp5axk...n-Dr-Phil-Show[www.savevid.com].flv

You must imagine after Byington went to great lengths to portray herself as Jenny's very professional therapist, even calling out alters on camera, her shock at the final outcome of the show.

But what is really interesting here, in addition to the fact that she really plays up her therapist creds on camera is the fact that as "Ijustlevitatedinyourpants" (WIN!) points out on Amazon, Judy states in this video "At this point, Jenny made need constant care, she is simply not functioning". So it makes complete sense that she should have had Jenny sign away her rights. (It also calls into question the latest notarized doc Judy threw up in her defense, reportedly from Jenny.)

You can read Judy's lastest spit and spin here. http://tinyurl.com/spit-nspin

Lately Doug's identity seems to be down to him and me (I am Crit). It was more fun when we had every skeptic, questioning poster on Amazon and the entire audience of Phil alleged to be Doug. And then we were followers, as Judy would have it. Doug as our "Goud" (Greenbaum backwards-speak). "Follow the Goud"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9mfZbTFbk

Crap, if it's a church of only two, there go the t-shirt sales. However, DOUGCON 2013 will go on as planned followed by "Burning Doug" which will be known for its days of art and ecstasy...and on the third day we shall burn his effigy, well, because "Everybody's sins are Doug's," including Judy's. Maybe I'll send her a t-shirt.

Last edited by Altus; 18th January 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 01:56 PM   #1450
Roma
Master Poster

Interesting, but do you think Judy's learning too much here and on Amazon ?

Last edited by Roma; 18th January 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 02:38 PM   #1451
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Roma View Post
If she hasn't learned that Doug and Altus (and everyone else) are seperate individuals yet, I can't imagine what else she could possibly have "learned" here.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 03:38 PM   #1452
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
If she hasn't learned that Doug and Altus (and everyone else) are seperate individuals yet, I can't imagine what else she could possibly have "learned" here.
Oh I meant evidence that Robert Steffan might want to keep Judy from seeing, maybe his lawyer would like some extra advantage over hers.
Old 18th January 2013, 03:57 PM   #1453
Strawberry
Muse

I've no doubt that she - and her sidekick Flee - do know that those people are all separate individuals. They continually make that accusation because they don't have a leg to stand on in any honest debate, hence the ad hom attacks, poisoning the well, red herrings, etc.

They're the most intellectually dishonest group I've ever seen, and if I had harboured any belief in Multiple Personality Disorder before seeing their antics, it would be shredded by now.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 04:27 PM   #1454
Orphia Nay
Tagger

"Follow the Goud!"
Old 18th January 2013, 05:49 PM   #1455
Altus
Critical Thinker

"Follow the Goud!"

Obviously I can't be possessed because my Greenbaum-back-speak is off. Should be "Follow the Guod!"
Old 19th January 2013, 08:25 AM   #1456
Dismember
Thinker

New 1-star review from "Bull Creek".

Excerpt:

Originally Posted by Bull Creek
To say the book has credibility issues is a massive understatement. Indeed, it is difficult to know where to even begin to compile a full accounting of all the seeming fantasies and impossibilities it asks the reader to accept. For example:

* A man levitates in thin air without any means of support or propulsion. Levitation is also presented as a reality elsewhere in the book.

* Minds are controlled via a blinking red light.

* Jenny's consciousness leaves her body and floats about the room, observing the scene from above.

* Eye color changes spontaneously as people assume different "alters."

* A heavenly presence - possibly an angel or perhaps even Jesus Christ - arrives at a critical moment and intervenes to save Jenny from being sacrificed to Satan.

In this regard, 22 Faces goes even further than the earlier investigators of the day-care SRA allegations. They at least had the sense to recognize the more fantastic aspects of the children's testimony, carefully exorcising them before presenting evidence in court. In fact, it was the public's discovery of these previously suppressed fantasies that provided important motivation for the re-examination and ultimate exoneration of the falsely charged and convicted.

Yet 22 Faces blithely accepts each unbelievable claim seemingly without question. ....

Just a reminder - if anyone wants to read 22 Faces so they can review it, please PM me.

Last edited by Dismember; 19th January 2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added a link to the review
Dismember is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 11:48 AM   #1457
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by Dismember View Post
New 1-star review from "Bull Creek"
Just for the record, I'm Bull Creek.
Old 19th January 2013, 12:05 PM   #1458
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

I've missed quite a bit of this thread, but I gather that Dr. Phil didn't go well for Judy. Is there anywhere where it's available to watch online?
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 01:04 PM   #1459
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I've missed quite a bit of this thread, but I gather that Dr. Phil didn't go well for Judy. Is there anywhere where it's available to watch online?

Here are just some bits of the show:
(in the clips of the video where Jenny is angry , that's not the Dr.Phil show, that's a different video used in promotions of the show)

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1947

Jenny's son Robert Stefffan was rational, dignified, and composed, the audience was definitely on his side.

Jenny only spoke for the last few minutes, was "calm" and "controlled".

Dr.Phil completely surprised me. He didn't fall for any of the "personality bait" when Jenny repeated that Judy was helping her to become "young woman", and he didn't ask Jenny to explain why she said she "didn't know about the Nazis". Nope, Dr.Phil didn't go for that bait at all, he kept focused on Judy. He also told Judy that in all his 35 years experience he had never had a patient or come across a patient with DID.

Judy wouldn't answer any direct questions, she exposed herself as a liar and an exploiter of Jenny and the audience could see right through her, smiling and applauding every time she was caught. Even when she made the most horrible allegation abut Steffan the cameras were on him staying calm and shaking his head a bit instead of on Judy when she was speaking.

I think Dr.Phil tried not to exploit Jenny and the whole situation, the last few minutes of the show he turned to jenny giving all of his attention to her, spoke to her as an intelligent woman and not a freak show attraction.

At the very end of the show Dr.Phil barely mentioned the book "22 Faces" which, after all, was what Judy had come on his show to plug. Usually Dr.Phil holds up whatever book was being plugged and tells the viewers where to buy it and then gives the audience free copies. This show he had a blurry screen shot of the book "22 faces" behind him for a few seconds at the very last minute of the show, then he went on to talk about something else, he was done with Judy.

Last edited by Roma; 19th January 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 06:06 PM   #1460
Dismember
Thinker

As much as I want to see Judy Byington held accountable and publicly shamed for her treatment of Jenny Hill, I have to agree with you Roma... we should be judicious about what we post here, at least until the dust settles a bit.

I hope no one minds if I continue to post occasional highlights from the Amazon discussions. The DID/SRA "supporters" delete their own reviews and their own comments on a regular basis, and I'd rather it not be so easy for them to cover their tracks.

Originally Posted by Strawberry
They're the most intellectually dishonest group I've ever seen, and if I had harboured any belief in Multiple Personality Disorder before seeing their antics, it would be shredded by now.
That was exactly where I started, Strawberry - I thought DID was a valid, but rare condition and that it usually originated from abuse or some traumatic event in early childhood. When I started following the Amazon discussions, it didn't take long for that belief to crumble. Of course, I like to think it had more to do with the convincing arguments presented against DID than the antics of Byington and the Borg Collective, but I'd be lying if I said their behavior had nothing to do with it.

Stellafane, I loved your review
Old 19th January 2013, 07:07 PM   #1461
Jeanette
Student

I'm glad Amazon discussions are helping folks realize this DID therapy is bogus.
Jeanette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 07:10 PM   #1462
Jeanette
Student

I've gone to Amazon a few times and pointed out absurdities in the book like:

A group of men with their 3-6 cars would be noticed in a neighborhood.
These satanists need robes and paraphernalia to conduct a meeting so they would need to bring gym bags or boxes.
Disposing of evidence. Where?
A child (Jenny) wandering the neighborhood would be noticed, especially one with a trail of blood - following alleged repeated rapes.

No one has responded.
Jeanette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 07:10 PM   #1463
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Jeanette View Post
I'm glad Amazon discussions are helping folks realize this DID therapy is bogus.
Welcome to the forum, Jeanette!
Old 19th January 2013, 07:13 PM   #1464
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I've gone to Amazon a few times and pointed out absurdities in the book like:

A group of men with their 3-6 cars would be noticed in a neighborhood.
These satanists need robes and paraphernalia to conduct a meeting so they would need to bring gym bags or boxes.
Disposing of evidence. Where?
A child (Jenny) wandering the neighborhood would be noticed, especially one with a trail of blood - following alleged repeated rapes.

No one has responded.
No, the DID believers never answer simple questions of fact. They completely ignore the huge problems with the story and lack of corroborating evidence.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:13 PM   #1465
Jeanette
Student

Anyone interested in starting a thread at Amazon to examine this book page by page - or event by event to show readers, and DIDers, the absurdity of Byington's claims?

I read a statement by Felicity that she doesn't believe all of the story but she thinks they (DIDers) should support suvivor-Jenny.

If we can put a reality wedge into their thought processes maybe it will help. We need to give the DIDers a way out and allow them to say they don't buy the whole story, but want to support "survivors".

If they can start to discerning true from unlikely scenarios, it might help.

Then again, I wonder if it's worth the time.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:15 PM   #1466
Orphia Nay
Tagger

As much as I want to see Judy Byington held accountable and publicly shamed for her treatment of Jenny Hill, I have to agree with you Roma... we should be judicious about what we post here, at least until the dust settles a bit.
Agreed!

I hope no one minds if I continue to post occasional highlights from the Amazon discussions. The DID/SRA "supporters" delete their own reviews and their own comments on a regular basis, and I'd rather it not be so easy for them to cover their tracks.
Please do! Things happen so fast there, and (except on weekends) I don't have time to keep track of the discussions I've posted in. I'm sure there are lots of other discussions I don't know about, so your highlights are very welcome!

Stellafane, I loved your review
Seconded! One of the best reviews of the book there!
Old 19th January 2013, 07:18 PM   #1467
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Anyone interested in starting a thread at Amazon to examine this book page by page - or event by event to show readers, and DIDers, the absurdity of Byington's claims?

I read a statement by Felicity that she doesn't believe all of the story but she thinks they (DIDers) should support suvivor-Jenny.

If we can put a reality wedge into their thought processes maybe it will help. We need to give the DIDers a way out and allow them to say they don't buy the whole story, but want to support "survivors".

If they can start to discerning true from unlikely scenarios, it might help.

Then again, I wonder if it's worth the time.
Well, you'd have to be careful not to break copyright laws and not post too many quotes from the book.

And we'd need someone who hasn't posted a review there already.

I do wonder if it is worth the time too.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:22 PM   #1468
Jeanette
Student

There must be a way to start a new thread without needing a new reviewer?

I don't think copyright is an issue - especially if the book questions are just a few sentences long or paraphrased.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:25 PM   #1469
Roma
Master Poster

.....Disposing of evidence. Where?

Jeanette we all have to wait for Judy's next book to find out.

Welcome Jeanette, our friend you finally made it !

* you'll need to go to Altus to be fitted for your robe,
then you will henceforth be called "Doug", so act accordingly.

Last edited by Roma; 19th January 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:46 PM   #1470
Jeanette
Student

Right about the next book - I want to read it but not buy it. Got suggestions?

Thanks for the welcome. My teachers always said, does not follow directions...
Old 19th January 2013, 09:12 PM   #1471
Roma
Master Poster

Thanks for the welcome. My teachers always said, does not follow directions...

Suggestions ?
I don't know, I can't figure out these directions

We might have to wait for the next Dr.Phil show:

Coming June 23rd "Where the Evidence is Buried":
Old 19th January 2013, 09:59 PM   #1472
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I'm Australian, so I write backwards and upside-down.

ƃnop ɯɐ I
Old 19th January 2013, 10:45 PM   #1473
Roma
Master Poster

I'm Canadian,

I'm Doug, eh
Old 19th January 2013, 10:50 PM   #1474
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I have it on good authority that if you take Doug's first post in this thread and run it backwards through a voice synthesizer, the words "We'll debunk you like supermen" are clearly audible.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 11:10 PM   #1475
Roma
Master Poster

Anyone interested in starting a thread at Amazon to examine this book page by page - or event by event to show readers, and DIDers, the absurdity of Byington's claims? ...

You can go here Jeanette:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1VJ6JG...x2ZD5L9KGF70N7

And look here to read Doug Mesner's's letter exposing the craziness in Judy's book:

http://www.process.org/discept/2012/...health-menace/
Old 19th January 2013, 11:49 PM   #1476
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I'm Canadian,

I'm Doug, eh

I have it on good authority that if you take Doug's first post in this thread and run it backwards through a voice synthesizer, the words "We'll debunk you like supermen" are clearly audible.
It's true!
Old 19th January 2013, 11:51 PM   #1477
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Here's my review of "Sybil Exposed" by Debbie Nathan:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3HZDI20DKE76Q
Old 20th January 2013, 06:50 AM   #1478
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Well, you'd have to be careful not to break copyright laws and not post too many quotes from the book.

And we'd need someone who hasn't posted a review there already.

I do wonder if it is worth the time too.
There must be a way to start a new thread without needing a new reviewer?
I don't think you need a review to tie the discussion to. There is a general discussion forum at Amazon. There's even a subforum specifically for 22faces here, with one thread about who should get the proceeds. That forum is also linked to in the pages with discussion on a specific review.

I don't think copyright is an issue - especially if the book questions are just a few sentences long or paraphrased.
Indeed. Or you just say "on page 37 of the book, this or that supernormal event happens" and paraphrase the book.

ETA: you already mentioned paraphrasing. Duh, not enough coffee yet. Anyway, it bears repeating that paraphrasing is legitimate.

Last edited by ddt; 20th January 2013 at 06:57 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 08:05 AM   #1479
Altus
Critical Thinker

!sknahT
Old 20th January 2013, 09:19 AM   #1480
Dismember
Thinker

It's possible that with all the negative feedback about 22 Faces, the next book might never get published...

(Welcome to the forum, Jeanette )

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal