ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th January 2013, 04:21 AM   #1
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Philips to get out of audio-visual

Philips, the Dutch electronics company is to get out of the DVD and hi-fi business to concentrate on its (now) core healthcare, light bulbs and home appliances businesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21242127

I have a particular historic interest because Philips sponsored me through university, employed me during holidays and allowed me access to their staff shop (so that even 25 years later my Dad's house still has a number of Philips appliances).

I find it interesting that some companies always seem to either be diversifying or focusing on their core business but somehow always seem to go backwards at each step. Philips reminds me of ICI a bit. Years ago ICI was a major global business but since focusing on core businesses has managed to make itself into a niche player in the paints and surface coatings business. In the process it has lost most of its shareholder value but I'm sure that the business's management and advisors knew what they were doing.

My feeling is that Philips has the problem that it is neither fish nor fowl. It doesn't have the brand to compete with the likes of Sony on image but doesn't deliver value like LG or Samsung. Apart from maybe lightbulbs and and electric shaver, I haven't bought a Philips product in 20 years.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 12:26 PM   #2
ddt
Mafia Penguin

That's the end of an era. Philips once was a major player in the audio/video market, with innovations as the compact cassette tape and the CD, and of course the DCC and Video-2000.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:10 PM   #3
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
That's the end of an era. Philips once was a major player in the audio/video market, with innovations as the compact cassette tape and the CD, and of course the DCC and Video-2000.
The problem was that they never seemed to have the knack to mass produce it efficiently, and would get shut out of the market by whatever company did.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:53 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
The problem was that they never seemed to have the knack to mass produce it efficiently, and would get shut out of the market by whatever company did.
Exactly. Having a innovative idea is only half the struggle. Being able to make it profitible is another thing altogether.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
ddt
Mafia Penguin

They certainly weren't good at making an appealing design. In particular, their user interfaces seemed to be designed by engineers.
Old 29th January 2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

I agree, Philips has always been a good and innovative company. I'm sorry to see them leave the audio-visual market but I'm glad it's a change of focus rather than a company closing.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Yep, if you have an S/PDIF cable the "P" stands for "Philips". The "S" is Sony.

Sony isn't doing so hot lately either.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 03:49 PM   #8
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

This is a shame, my current monitor at home is a Phillips, they have always produced very good products you can rely on. They might not be the cheapest, but I've never had any issues with them, like I have other brands.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 07:50 PM   #9
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

This is essentially meaningless. Funai will continue to make sets. You'll see the remaining Philips line (that isn't already just a Magnavox with a different name sticker and stand) subsumed into Magnavox. Same with cables.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Acleron
Master Poster

Didn't they licence some of those?
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 08:16 PM   #11
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Acleron View Post
Didn't they licence some of those?
I think they did with the CD, but I am pretty sure that even with that, Sony made a lot more profit from the CD than Phillips ever did.
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:11 PM   #12
jj
grumpy old skeptic

"Focusing on the core business" ::= For AT&T that meant "trying to make money with long distance when their overhead was more than their competitors price to consumers".

In any business, there comes a time when the core business is going to fail. Those who hold to the core go over the cliff, crash at the bottom, and burn.

It really is that simple.

In Philips case, well, sorry, I probably can't comment as much as I'd like, but they made some interesting business decisions when they decided to get into content, oh, just like another big electronics company from Japan, remember them?

LG and Samsung are eating that company's lunch, too.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance