ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags catfishing , online hoaxes , online relationships

Old 23rd January 2013, 08:51 AM   #81
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Te'o interviewed by Katie Couric

Link here. He acknowledged lying in early December 2012, right after he got the phone call that apparently let him know that the woman he thought was dead was alive. I believe that he lied to his father about the origin of the relationship (this would have happened early on, then his father would have repeated it, if I have it right). If that is all he has done, then he is far more sinned against than sinning IMO.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:14 AM   #82
Dog Town
NO! I'm not on Facebook! And I don't have an Iphone charger, you can use!

What info is left to be revealed, will come sooner than later. He is under the light of NFL security. They dig deeeep! Interviews by talking heads are worthless, when someone has lied so much. IMHO.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:22 AM   #83
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by halides1 View Post
Link here. He acknowledged lying in early December 2012, right after he got the phone call that apparently let him know that the woman he thought was dead was alive. I believe that he lied to his father about the origin of the relationship (this would have happened early on, then his father would have repeated it, if I have it right). If that is all he has done, then he is far more sinned against than sinning IMO.
Yeah, if that is the whole truth, he's told a little white lie to his dad, a man of a different generation who may not understand online relationships and today's youth, and then he lied about the relationship to the press a day or two after what must have been a pretty darn big shock. No biggie, but the big issue is whether that is the whole truth, or whether that's just the best story his agent's PR people have managed to come up with.
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:10 AM   #84
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dog Town View Post
Could this get any more weird?
Now he says he briefly lied about his girlfriend after he knew she was fake.

Link

Quote:
The star Notre Dame linebacker, who has been hounded by the reporters since the story broke Jan. 16, told Couric in a taped interview Tuesday that he was not lying up until December....

Te'o found out that Kekua was a hoax on Dec. 6, but on Dec. 8 he again publicly mentioned his girlfriend. The remark came as Te'o was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, the award for the best college football player in the country. Te'o was eventually a runner-up for the trophy.

"Katie, put yourself in my situation. I, my whole world told me that she died on Sept. 12. Everybody knew that. This girl, who I committed myself to, died on Sept. 12," Te'o said.

"Now I get a phone call on Dec. 6, saying that she's alive and then I'm going be put on national TV two days later. And to ask me about the same question. You know, what would you do?" Te'o said.
Tell the truth I would hope or at the very least not talk about it until you have figured everything out.

I still think he knew all along. As I think most people that would be involved in an online only relationship. If not directly aware some part of you must be aware that this is likely a hoax.

ETA: I see this has been posted already. my bad.
Old 26th January 2013, 04:37 PM   #85
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I'm still of the opinion that he was duped.

I mean the perpetrator has pretty much admitted as much.
Old 26th January 2013, 08:52 PM   #86
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post

After seeing the Katie interview, I'd agree Manti was the victim, and the gay hypothesis extremely unlikely.

I saw the Catfish movie today and it had a lot of interesting things to say about the practice, including in the interview with the filmmakers.

Everyone meeting people on the Internet does some catfishing -- in the general sense that almost no one shows 100% who he or she really is. We almost all lie, shade the truth, or hide our faults.
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 10:13 AM   #87
Biscuit
Philosopher

Through lawyers and his fathers lawyers. I haven't seen anything from Ronaiah himself.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:39 AM   #88
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

He could always be taking the fall for an under-the-table payment. There's bound to be quite a bit of money at stake in protecting Te'o's reputation.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:20 PM   #89
Travis

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
He could always be taking the fall for an under-the-table payment. There's bound to be quite a bit of money at stake in protecting Te'o's reputation.
To cover up what?

I mean we've heard the voicemails. I can believe he thought it was a woman.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:25 PM   #90
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

balance of probability

On the one hand, a man being fooled by a man pretending to be a woman has precedent. A hoax to snag a Heisman (or whatever) does not, at least to my knowledge. Therefore, the former seems more likely.
Old 27th January 2013, 11:47 PM   #91
TheGoldcountry
Graduate Poster

What info is left to be revealed, will come sooner than later. He is under the light of NFL security. They dig deeeep! Interviews by talking heads are worthless, when someone has lied so much. IMHO.
The NFL is interested in things like gambling and improper deals with agents, or drug use. They aren't going to give a rat's ass about a young guy's imaginary girlfriend.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 02:47 PM   #92
Biscuit
Philosopher

I think this is the defacto Te'o thread so here are the first words from Roniah Tuiasosopo, the man behind the hoax, apparently. I am still not convinced we know everything from Te'o's side.

Quote:
Roniah Tuiasosopo, told him he was "deeply, romantically in love" with Te'o and claims that the voice talking back to Te'o for countless hours on the phone was not his cousin, as reported by the New York Post, but him. Asked by Dr. Phil if he is gay, Tuiasosopo says that, yes, he is, then clarifies that he is "confused."
link
Old 30th January 2013, 03:34 PM   #93
Travis

So he had a guy who had a very disturbing gay crush on him and fooled him.

Seems pretty open and shut to me at this point.
Old 30th January 2013, 05:01 PM   #94
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

What are you wearing

Travis, Davy Rothbart wrote about something similar (but which also included phone sex) at GQ.
Old 30th January 2013, 10:10 PM   #95
Dog Town

Well...he was his crushes guest on the sideline, at a game...

While I could not care less about sexual orientation...there does seem to be more to the story. A story already full of lies.
Old 30th January 2013, 10:14 PM   #96
Dog Town

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
The NFL is interested in things like gambling and improper deals with agents, or drug use. They aren't going to give a rat's ass about a young guy's imaginary girlfriend.
Says you! Is there an openly gay player in the NFL? Why do you think that is?
Hell, any major U.S. sport. (baseball, hockey, basketball, Football)
Old 31st January 2013, 06:17 AM   #97
Mr. Scott

Quote:
Roniah Tuiasosopo, told him he was "deeply, romantically in love" with Te'o and claims that the voice talking back to Te'o for countless hours on the phone was not his cousin, as reported by the New York Post, but him. Asked by Dr. Phil if he is gay, Tuiasosopo says that, yes, he is, then clarifies that he is "confused."
Calling homosexuals "confused" is a hallmark of Christian homophobia. That Tuiasosopo never screwed up and forgot to put on his girl voice, as he told Dr. Phil, is testimony to the model of homosexuality that asserts some really are women in men's bodies. Tuiasosopo's refusal to use his female voice in front of Dr. Phil is interesting. If I were in Dr. Phil's position, I'd suggest having Tuiasosopo go in another room and telephone the room, asking to speak to Lennay.

The victim and the perpetrator are both devotedly Christian, and even prayed together during their phone calls. It's amazing that Te'o ignores the fact that the god of his "faith" never alerted him to the fakery. God works in mysterious ways -- unless you consider that He doesn't exist at all LOL. Then the mystery vanishes.
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 08:05 AM   #98
TheGoldcountry
Graduate Poster

Says you! Is there an openly gay player in the NFL? Why do you think that is?
Hell, any major U.S. sport. (baseball, hockey, basketball, Football)
You pretty much proved my point. They (meaning NFL management) have no desire to "out" a new player. Teo will be a top ten draft pick. Unless he's done something illegal, the NFL won't do anything. I personally think he's been honest, if anything, he's ashamed of being duped.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 08:28 AM   #99
Lithrael
Muse

Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Everyone meeting people on the Internet does some catfishing -- in the general sense that almost no one shows 100% who he or she really is. We almost all lie, shade the truth, or hide our faults.
Yeah I know. Why even when my internet personals said 'nerd gamer looking for gamer nerd' I had guys calling up who eventually had to admit all they ever played was Madden.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 09:07 AM   #100
Biscuit
Philosopher

Calling homosexuals "confused" is a hallmark of Christian homophobia. That Tuiasosopo never screwed up and forgot to put on his girl voice, as he told Dr. Phil, is testimony to the model of homosexuality that asserts some really are women in men's bodies. Tuiasosopo's refusal to use his female voice in front of Dr. Phil is interesting. If I were in Dr. Phil's position, I'd suggest having Tuiasosopo go in another room and telephone the room, asking to speak to Lennay.

The victim and the perpetrator are both devotedly Christian, and even prayed together during their phone calls. It's amazing that Te'o ignores the fact that the god of his "faith" never alerted him to the fakery. God works in mysterious ways -- unless you consider that He doesn't exist at all LOL. Then the mystery vanishes.
I don't think there was any "girl voice." I think this is more obfuscation and misdirection to avoid Te'o's potential "confusion."
Old 31st January 2013, 09:33 AM   #101
Mr. Scott

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I don't think there was any "girl voice." I think this is more obfuscation and misdirection to avoid Te'o's potential "confusion."
That's one of the unresolved questions. Did Tuiasosopo do Lennay's voice, or someone else?

Tuiasosopo may have refused to do his Lennay voice for Dr. Phil for psychological reasons. I have a friend who pretends to be a girl sometimes, and he refuses to put on his girl voice for me. However, he would use the voice right next to me with no hesitation while on the phone with a caller expecting his female persona. He can't for me, I guess, because I know him as a guy. Tuiasosopo may be the same way.

Last edited by Mr. Scott; 31st January 2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: touch up syntax and wording
Old 31st January 2013, 12:26 PM   #102
Biscuit
Philosopher

That's one of the unresolved questions. Did Tuiasosopo do Lennay's voice, or someone else?

Tuiasosopo may have refused to do his Lennay voice for Dr. Phil for psychological reasons. I have a friend who pretends to be a girl sometimes, and he refuses to put on his girl voice for me. However, he would use the voice right next to me with no hesitation while on the phone with a caller expecting his female persona. He can't for me, I guess, because I know him as a guy. Tuiasosopo may be the same way.
That's a possibility.

I'll stick with my assessment. They are both gay and this girlfriend was a cover for their long distant relationship. Now Tuiasosopo is taking the fall for the sake of his friend/lover's career in the NFL.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:28 PM   #103
Mr. Scott

That's a possibility.

I'll stick with my assessment. They are both gay and this girlfriend was a cover for their long distant relationship. Now Tuiasosopo is taking the fall for the sake of his friend/lover's career in the NFL.
If Tuiasosopo did not voice Kekua, then the cover hypothesis doesn't wash*.

In the Oprah interview, I didn't sense anything that would confirm the cover hypothesis.

It amazes me that Te-o didn't have a girlfriend he could actually meet in person. I'd hypothesize these reasons, and one or all could be true:

1) He's too Christian and wants to avoid carnal sin.
2) He wouldn't be interested in interracial dating , and couldn't find a date-able Polynesian at Notre Dame.
3) He's gay and Tuiasosopo was his secret lover.

I'm uncertain how the cover hypothesis connects to whether or not Tuiasosopo supplied the voice of Kekua, who's voice is perfectly female in the voicemails. If it was a cover, why did Tuiasosopo have to pretend, with utter perfection, to be female?

*However, the cruel oppressiveness of Mormon culture would explain much about this event, adding to the cover that Te'o could feel it was heterosexual if his lover pretended to be female.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:48 PM   #104
DragonLady
Master Poster

Wow.

Hellcat was also a prolific poster -under another name- at the original Cyber Soap Box. I remember reading about her illness, but never knew it turned out to be a hoax.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 04:47 PM   #105
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Football pass

IIRC Te'o would pass his phone around to his teammates so someone could say hello. I am not sure whether they spoke to her or vice versa or both.
Old 31st January 2013, 06:54 PM   #106
Mr. Scott

In the Oprah interview, I didn't sense anything that would confirm the cover hypothesis.
Sorry, the Katie interview. Got it mixed up with Armstrong.
Old 1st February 2013, 02:59 AM   #107
Recovering Agnostic
Back Pew Heckler

Sorry, the Katie interview. Got it mixed up with Armstrong.
Here's the difference. Armstrong was exposed as having been doped, while Te'o was exposed as having been duped.

The art and science of asking questions is the source of all knowledge - Thomas Berger
Recovering Agnostic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2013, 07:48 AM   #108
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halides1 View Post
IIRC Te'o would pass his phone around to his teammates so someone could say hello. I am not sure whether they spoke to her or vice versa or both.
Really? That does change things.
Old 1st February 2013, 08:00 AM   #109
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Te'o and his teammates

Really? That does change things.
ABCs Christina Ng reported, "One of Te'o's teammates who asked not to be identified told ABC News that it was normal for Te'o to pass his phone around to teammates when he was on the line with "Lennay" so they could say hello to her.
Old 1st February 2013, 01:24 PM   #110
Dog Town

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
You pretty much proved my point.
You have an interesting way of parsing.
Teo will be lucky to get drafted, in the bottom of the first round.
Old 1st February 2013, 03:38 PM   #111
Mr. Scott

For the Te'o debacle, I'm going to call affinity fraudWP which usually is about financial fraud, but I'm extending it to other con games like Catfishing.

Tuiasosopo (a gay man) defrauded Te'o (a famous straight football player) into a romantic relationship with him by saying, basically, "I'm Christian and Polynesian, you're Christian and Polynesian, so you can trust me."

Quote:
[affinity] scams exploit the trust and friendship that exist in groups of people who have something in common.
Old 1st February 2013, 03:54 PM   #112
Travis

If Tuiasosopo did not voice Kekua, then the cover hypothesis doesn't wash*.

It amazes me that Te-o didn't have a girlfriend he could actually meet in person. I'd hypothesize these reasons, and one or all could be true:

1) He's too Christian and wants to avoid carnal sin.
2) He wouldn't be interested in interracial dating , and couldn't find a date-able Polynesian at Notre Dame.
3) He's gay and Tuiasosopo was his secret lover.
Or 4) He wasn't interested in casual sex with football groupies and wanted more connection in the relationship.

As someone who could only get a girlfriend online I can empathize.
Old 1st February 2013, 04:31 PM   #113
Dog Town

Or 4) He wasn't interested in casual sex with football groupies and wanted more connection in the relationship.
He failed!
Old 2nd February 2013, 07:22 AM   #114
Mr. Scott

Tuiasosopo demonstrated his female voice for Dr. Phil from behind a screen, the tapes were analyzed by experts, and it's confirmed he voiced Kekua, so Te'o was certainly an unknowing Catfishing victim IMO. Sad story for everyone involved. I hope it doesn't hobble with Te'o's football career.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events