ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Australia elections , Australia politics , Julian Assange , Malcolm Fraser , wikileaks

Old 27th March 2012, 03:45 PM   #81
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
He just lost my vote.
I agree as Fraser is best known for what happened on 11 November 1975.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 05:55 PM   #82
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I agree as Fraser is best known for what happened on 11 November 1975.
That's hardly the only thing he did, though.

He also got caught with his pants down in a hotel lobby...
Old 29th March 2012, 12:36 AM   #83
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
So that's a No then?
That's it. Im hardly in love with Assange, but it would be nice to see evidence of some of the smears thrown about by the likes of trustbutverify.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2012, 11:15 AM   #84
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Yes, of course. Without videotape of thegreatman actually saying the things several independent sources say he did, it never happened. And even if it was produced, how do we know it wasn't faked in the grand conspiracy against this poor victim? And even if it wasn't faked, how do really know that Shamir really is a racist scumbag? Maybe he's just a very enthusiastic "anti-Zionist". And maybe there is a conspiracy of Jewish journalists against Assange!
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2012, 11:36 AM   #85
DC
Banned

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Yes, of course. Without videotape of thegreatman actually saying the things several independent sources say he did, it never happened. And even if it was produced, how do we know it wasn't faked in the grand conspiracy against this poor victim? And even if it wasn't faked, how do really know that Shamir really is a racist scumbag? Maybe he's just a very enthusiastic "anti-Zionist". And maybe there is a conspiracy of Jewish journalists against Assange!
in short, no you don't have any evidence.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2012, 11:54 PM   #86
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Tons of evidence. Tons of denial. No videotape.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2012, 01:19 AM   #87
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Bit tricky standing for the Senate if you're in Ecuador.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2012, 02:01 AM   #88
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by DC View Post
in short, no you don't have any evidence.
Yup, no evidence at all. Just irrational hatred. Major surprise.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2012, 03:07 AM   #89
trustbutverify
Illuminator

More silly denial from the likes of lionking. You type quite well for a guy with his head buried in the sand.
Old 30th June 2012, 03:10 AM   #90
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Asking for evidence is head in sand? Hilarious. Irrational hatred is really amusing.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 30th June 2012, 03:17 AM   #91
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Hiding from a mountain of evidence is. Now, can you please point out my "irrational hatred"? I must have missed it, and I certainly don't want that hanging around.
Old 30th June 2012, 03:22 AM   #92
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Hiding from a mountain of evidence is. Now, can you please point out my "irrational hatred"? I must have missed it, and I certainly don't want that hanging around.
Eh, this was your claim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustbutverify
I also hope they consider his own bigoted rant accusing reporters of being part of a Jewish conspiracy against him.
Prove it or withdraw.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 30th June 2012, 03:43 AM   #93
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Can't back up your claim of my "irrational hatred"? Why am I not surprised.

Of course, I'm sure Private Eye editor Ian Hislop fabricated the phone conversation he had with thegreatman where he details Assange's furious accusation of a cabal of Jewish journalists conspiring against him. Why would Hislop invent such a conversation- and report it in such detail? Easy. He must be in on the "conspiracy".

Edited by jhunter1163:  Edited for Rule 0.

Last edited by jhunter1163; 30th June 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 30th June 2012, 05:04 AM   #94
DC
Banned

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yup, no evidence at all. Just irrational hatred. Major surprise.
oh well i googled a bit, and indeed one person claims he said it, Assange denies saying it.
i guess for some people its tons of evidence when one person claims something.

well i guess Aliens are contacting us on planet earth then, Billy Mayers claims so, who would deny that tons of evidence?
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2012, 05:13 AM   #95
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Can't back up your claim of my "irrational hatred"? Why am I not surprised.

Of course, I'm sure Private Eye editor Ian Hislop fabricated the phone conversation he had with thegreatman where he details Assange's furious accusation of a cabal of Jewish journalists conspiring against him. Why would Hislop invent such a conversation- and report it in such detail? Easy. He must be in on the "conspiracy".

Edited by jhunter1163:  Moderated content removed.
Not enough laughing dogs to do this justice. Private Eye? Without verification? Hilarious. And let's see what the mods do with your last sentence.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by jhunter1163; 30th June 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 30th June 2012, 11:09 AM   #96
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Well worth it!
Old 1st July 2012, 06:02 PM   #97
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Does anyone even use videotape any more?
Old 31st January 2013, 02:06 PM   #98
Noztradamus
Master Poster

Poor Assange. Jules gives Julian something he'd sell his soul for: An eight month election campaign during which he could ponce about getting attention, if only the poor guy could leave his Knightsbridge apartment.
Old 31st January 2013, 05:26 PM   #99
Toontown
Illuminator

The outrage by major parties to Assange's election would be well worth my vote.
Yeah, protest votes always work well. Sending them a maggot will teach those blowflies a lesson they won't soon forget.

Given your boy's love of personal control and power, how long do you think it would take him to morph into a blowfly?
WHAT FORCE SO IRRESISTIBLE
AS THE WILL OF FREE MEN
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 05:49 PM   #100
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Yeah, protest votes always work well. Sending them a maggot will teach those blowflies a lesson they won't soon forget.

Given your boy's love of personal control and power, how long do you think it would take him to morph into a blowfly?
You'll have to forgive the Assange fancrew. They're having enough trouble, what with ol' Julie being crucified by a secret cabal of media Jews- just because he chooses to associate with a racist scumbag and then lie about it. I mean, what's wrong with that?
Old 31st January 2013, 07:14 PM   #101
Toontown
Illuminator

You'll have to forgive the Assange fancrew. They're having enough trouble, what with ol' Julie being crucified by a secret cabal of media Jews- just because he chooses to associate with a racist scumbag and then lie about it. I mean, what's wrong with that?
Nothing. Nothing at all. Happens every day. Anyone could accidentally associate with a racist scumbag and then be compelled to lie about it.
WHAT FORCE SO IRRESISTIBLE
AS THE WILL OF FREE MEN
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2013, 12:08 AM   #102
Serafim Svensson
Scholar

Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
Here is Wikileaks' Statement on Israel Shamir http://wlcentral.org/node/1412

"[...] he has worked for the BBC, Haaretz, and many other reputable organizations."
That doesn't mean anything. Swedish journalist Johannes Wahlström wrote an article for Ordfront where he "proved", by means of invented quotes that he falsely attributed to a number of Swedish journalists, that Israel controls the Swedish media. He still gets to work for Sveriges Television (the Swedish counterpart of the BBC - about as reputable as it gets in this small country).

Wahlström is friends with Assange and spokesperson for Wikileaks in Sweden. Incidentally, he's also Israel Shamir's son and posts regularly on his website.
Serafim Svensson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2013, 12:16 AM   #103
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I wonder what the Assange haters, who have taken over this thread, know about the Australian Senate, how it operates and how people get elected to it? I also wonder if they can stay on topic.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 1st February 2013, 12:20 AM   #104
Serafim Svensson
Scholar

I wonder what the Assange haters, who have taken over this thread, know about the Australian Senate, how it operates and how people get elected to it? I also wonder if they can stay on topic.
Because ties to known Holocaust deniers and antisemites are never important when someone runs for office.
Serafim Svensson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2013, 12:26 AM   #105
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Serafim Svensson View Post
Because ties to known Holocaust deniers and antisemites are never important when someone runs for office.
Take it to the other thread. This is about an Australian Senate bid, a topic you seem not to have a grasp of.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 1st February 2013, 12:38 AM   #106
Serafim Svensson
Scholar

This is about an Australian Senate bid, a topic you seem not to have a grasp of.
I don't. All I know is the Senate is a legislative body and that the senators are elected, which means Assange's political opinions, connections and former activities are all relevant to the thread. Bud don't worry, I won't post in this thread anymore.
Old 1st February 2013, 06:07 PM   #107
Silhouette
Muse

That doesn't mean anything. Swedish journalist Johannes Wahlström wrote an article for Ordfront where he "proved", by means of invented quotes that he falsely attributed to a number of Swedish journalists, that Israel controls the Swedish media. He still gets to work for Sveriges Television (the Swedish counterpart of the BBC - about as reputable as it gets in this small country).

Wahlström is friends with Assange and spokesperson for Wikileaks in Sweden. Incidentally, he's also Israel Shamir's son and posts regularly on his website.

Many news organizations and journalists have had access to the cables WikiLeaks released. Hundreds, if not thousands of people have written about them and those same people may or may not also have views that Julian Assange agrees with. Show me real evidence that Julian Assange himself has expressed any anti-Semitic views. It can't be hearsay evidence, it has to be actual video or audio, or come from his own personal writings. Since you have offered no evidence to back up your insinuation that by knowing Wahlström, Assange is also anti-Semitic, I can only assume that you are just casting aspersions on his character.

I've known several racist and anti-Semitic people through my job, and have had to work with them closely even though I found their personal views repugnant. Does that relationship mean that I sympathize with racists and anti-Semetics or am I allowed to maintain my own separate and distinct views?
Silhouette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2013, 06:23 PM   #108
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Many news organizations and journalists have had access to the cables WikiLeaks released. Hundreds, if not thousands of people have written about them and those same people may or may not also have views that Julian Assange agrees with. Show me real evidence that Julian Assange himself has expressed any anti-Semitic views. It can't be hearsay evidence, it has to be actual video or audio, or come from his own personal writings. Since you have offered no evidence to back up your insinuation that by knowing Wahlström, Assange is also anti-Semitic, I can only assume that you are just casting aspersions on his character.

I've known several racist and anti-Semitic people through my job, and have had to work with them closely even though I found their personal views repugnant. Does that relationship mean that I sympathize with racists and anti-Semetics or am I allowed to maintain my own separate and distinct views?
Did you choose any of them to be your spokesman?
Old 1st February 2013, 07:01 PM   #109
Noztradamus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
You are free to do as I do and vote below the line.
Very principled but futile. You don't really believe they count those nuisance votes made by us (and by us, I includes me)

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I suspect his lawyers have put him up to this cynical ploy; When a person is an elected politician, executing him is going to be diplomatically slightly more difficult.
heh. "elected" you sound like his mother.

If declared he will not nominate. If he nominates he will not make the ballot. If he makes the ballot he will not be elected. If elected he will not claim his seat. If he claims his seat he will not be seated.

Besides Canberra is a lot more open than London. The AFP will grab him before he makes 6 Pindari Crescent, O'Malley, and place him in Villawood pursuant to Australia's Extradition Treaty with Sweden
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:08 AM   #110
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Very principled but futile. You don't really believe they count those nuisance votes made by us (and by us, I includes me)
Of course they do. You do realise they could go to jail if they didn't?
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:24 AM   #111
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

So how is Julian's Senate run going, anyway?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:25 AM   #112
Serafim Svensson
Scholar

Since you have offered no evidence to back up your insinuation that by knowing Wahlström [...]
I would respond, but

1) I can only give you evidence in writing that Wahlström was made spokesman for Wikileaks, and given unique access to leaked cables which allowed him to act as a gatekeeper for Wikileaks in Scandinavia. No video.

2) lionking has explained that a) I lack knowledge essentail for posting in this thread and b) we're not supposed discuss Assange in this thread about Assange
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:09 PM   #113
Silhouette
Muse

I would respond, but

1) I can only give you evidence in writing that Wahlström was made spokesman for Wikileaks, and given unique access to leaked cables which allowed him to act as a gatekeeper for Wikileaks in Scandinavia. No video.
Do you by any chance have a link to the source for where you read that? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Last edited by Silhouette; 2nd February 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Silhouette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:26 PM   #114
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

we're not supposed discuss Assange in this thread about Assange
There's another thread about Assange. This thread's about Assange's senate bid

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:02 PM   #115
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There's another thread about Assange. This thread's about Assange's senate bid
At this point, it's starting to look more like a thread about a thread about Assange's senate bid.

But, okay, what kind of thread about Assange's senate bid do we want it to be?

Do we want it to be about the mechanics of his voter mobilization effort--how many canvassers does he have, what demographics are they targeting, what results have they gotten, etc?

Do we want it to be about the latest poll numbers, and how he ranks day-to-day against the other candidates?

Do we want it to be about his candidacy--what he stands for, what his policy positions are, what political allies he has or might make, etc?

Do we want it to be about the candidate himself--his character, his suitability for office, his past performance as an indicator of future performance, etc?

Go on, you want a thread about Assange's senate bid, talk about Assange's senate bid already. What is there to say?

Or do we just want this to be a thread with two posts in it: An OP announcing his bid, and then a final post sometime later, announcing whether the bid succeeded or failed?

ETA: I mean, Assange must be the first politician in history to get a magical exemption from having considered his personal history, professional activities, and sexual peccadilloes. What kind of wondrous man this Assange must be, that in a thread about his candidacy, we must perforce ignore the candidate's body of work.

Last edited by theprestige; 2nd February 2013 at 06:05 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:18 PM   #116
trustbutverify
Illuminator

So now it's inappropriate to bring up issues relating to Assange's character, associations and behavior in a thread about his possible run for elected office?

What is permissible; comments on his hairstyle and fashion sense?
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:02 PM   #117
Silhouette
Muse

I'm particularly interested in what his policy positions are, and what his agenda would be should he actually be elected. I think he said he's running as a candidate for the WikiLeaks party. Here's a little more info: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...212-2ba43.html
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:28 PM   #118
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I'm particularly interested in what his policy positions are, and what his agenda would be should he actually be elected. I think he said he's running as a candidate for the WikiLeaks party. Here's a little more info: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...212-2ba43.html
Yes, I'm interested in his policies, but equally interesting is the poll in that article. Inaccurate as these sort of polls are, 72% said they would vote for him. Given that primary votes of less than 5% have got candidates elected to the Senate, with preferences of course, I reckon he will win a seat.

Most voters have no idea who they are voting for in the Senate. If Assange can get enough people to cover big voting booths, and can persuade people to vote below the line, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a seat.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:09 AM   #119
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Good article and interview. Thanks.

There are a hell of a lot of "if"s in this whole idea.

Me, I'm just enjoying the popcorn.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:29 PM   #120
Silhouette
Muse

He had a blog, IQ.ORG, and I found this link to it: http://web.archive.org/web/200710200...http://iq.org/ I thought it was an interesting read and it gives some insight into who he is.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics