ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

Shell game scam

I saw some guys doing the shell game scam today. Did it right in front of me and I couldn't see how he did it. I can see how he would place it under the new box but can't see how he got it from under the original one.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:53 PM   #2
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, he's cheating for sure. I'd tell you how, but that would violate magician's code. If you want to know how it's done, you can get DVD's or books on how. I like the shell game, but I never use it to swindle money from people.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

TBK is right. It is a trick, and not a particularly hard one. Furthermore, it is nearly impossible to catch out the scammer. It is like Three Card Monte that way. Regardless if you know the method, you cannot tell when an expert makes "the move."
Old 4th February 2013, 08:36 AM   #4
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Garrett, he actually shows the "secret move" by mistake at 1:50 when he shows where the ball is.

I like the comments the guy filming makes at the end..."They're all together..."

On a brighter note, is that a carpet sample or maybe a car floor mat? Great surface to work on and the rubber backing probably gives it durability for street use.

Not a fan of working on the ground though -- too much leg and knee work. Imagine an hour or two of squatting or kneeling on the hard pavement. Yikes.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
TBK is right. It is a trick, and not a particularly hard one. Furthermore, it is nearly impossible to catch out the scammer. It is like Three Card Monte that way. Regardless if you know the method, you cannot tell when an expert makes "the move."
I think I see what you mean. From looking at the video some more, once I have chosen a match box he then makes the move.
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

For the umpteenth time, I echo what Garrette said. I learned this trick at TAM2 ... well, not actually AT TAM2, but at a magicians' convention that was being held at one of the other nearby hotels, with some really big names there ... but what I'm trying to say is that I learned it from a pro.

And, as is the case with a lot of tricks, the secret is ridiculously simple, and if you know what to look for, you can follow what's going on.

THIS performer was VERY easy to follow. He was far from being an expert. The experts, the really good performers, are much harder to catch. Even if you see them pushing the shells around and trying to misdirect you by pointing this way and that, you can't be sure when they've done the dirty work.

One of the better performers would even let the sucker turn over the shell himself, to see whether the pea was there. The sucker was always wrong, of course, and the performer would simply push forward a different shell and say the pea was really there, and usually it was (and if it wasn't there, it would be found under the remaining shell ... thus disproving that sucker's suspicion that there was no pea under any shell).

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Garrett, he actually shows the "secret move" by mistake at 1:50 when he shows where the ball is.

I like the comments the guy filming makes at the end..."They're all together..."

On a brighter note, is that a carpet sample or maybe a car floor mat? Great surface to work on and the rubber backing probably gives it durability for street use.

Not a fan of working on the ground though -- too much leg and knee work. Imagine an hour or two of squatting or kneeling on the hard pavement. Yikes.
The move at 1:50 is not the key move; that came much earlier. My point, though, is that both moves are indistinguishable from him not making the move, so that eve an expert cannot tell if he is switching the ball's location or merely looking as if he is, caveated, of course, with Brown's observation that I am referring to professional performers.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

I found this news report from last summer of some people getting arrested for doing the same scam on a bridge nearby to where I saw it. I've taken some picture grabs from the video and the news report. They look quite similar to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daily Mail All.jpg (140.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 4th February 2013, 03:32 PM   #9
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Scum like that should be jailed. Using conjurer tricks to swindle people is wrong.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 06:58 AM   #10
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

The move at 1:50 is not the key move; that came much earlier. My point, though, is that both moves are indistinguishable from him not making the move, so that eve an expert cannot tell if he is switching the ball's location or merely looking as if he is, caveated, of course, with Brown's observation that I am referring to professional performers.
Sure it is. He means to flip the box over to show the pea, but instead slides it and the pea pops out. Maybe "secret property" is a better description than "secret move."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Sure it is. He means to flip the box over to show the pea, but instead slides it and the pea pops out. Maybe "secret property" is a better description than "secret move."
Hmm. Yes and no. In a sense, none of the props needs to have any special properties. For example, it is not necessary that a shell seem to be solid, yet have a secret soft flap or trap door ...

Indeed, all of the props are capable of withstanding examination from a spectator. The spectator would see that each prop is exactly what it seems to be. Smart performers generally don't let spectators examine all of the props at once, however, lest one of the secrets of the overall effect be inadvertently exposed. In that sense, it could be said that the props, working in concert, have a sort of secret property.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 07:35 AM   #12
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Hmm. Yes and no. In a sense, none of the props needs to have any special properties. For example, it is not necessary that a shell seem to be solid, yet have a secret soft flap or trap door ...

Indeed, all of the props are capable of withstanding examination from a spectator. The spectator would see that each prop is exactly what it seems to be. Smart performers generally don't let spectators examine all of the props at once, however, lest one of the secrets of the overall effect be inadvertently exposed. In that sense, it could be said that the props, working in concert, have a sort of secret property.
Yes, that is what I meant and why the mat was of interest to me as well.

This is my favorite on the subject: http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/shell_game.htm

(No commercial interest on my part, I just really like the instruction in this one.)
Old 5th February 2013, 09:20 AM   #13
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I use a standard mat myself. But I do lots of card tricks too.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that is what I meant and why the mat was of interest to me as well.

This is my favorite on the subject: http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/shell_game.htm

(No commercial interest on my part, I just really like the instruction in this one.)
It looks like Bob Sheets is one of the instructors. I watched Bob Sheets do his routine once, and his was the most entertaining to watch. He could fool you without making you feel like you were a fool (unless you were a "wise guy," in which case he could humiliate you). One of the techniques I've borrowed from Bob, not just for the shell game but for other effects, is:
When showing the spectators that I haven't done anything sneaky, THAT'S when I do something sneaky.

Old 5th February 2013, 09:29 AM   #15
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I use a standard mat myself. But I do lots of card tricks too.
You mean the standard close-up pad right? How do you transport it without it getting all bent up, folded and so on? Mine have sponge rubber backings and absorb anything spilled on them -- also a bugger to clean. That's why I thought the "car mat" style in that video might be better, especially for busking.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:48 AM   #16
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I roll up the mat so it's not creased. I've machined washed it and it's like new afterwards. I ordered it at Hank's magic factory.
Old 5th February 2013, 10:06 AM   #17
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Scum like that should be jailed. Using conjurer tricks to swindle people is wrong.
True, so true. But I would not shoot them because they do not endanger me (I don't gamble - or take unnecessary chances!)!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 10:09 AM   #18
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I might be inclined to ruin the guy's tricks if I came across. I'd demand to change the implements so that they make it very hard to do "the move."
Old 5th February 2013, 05:42 PM   #19
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Matty1973 View Post
I saw some guys doing the shell game scam today. Did it right in front of me and I couldn't see how he did it. I can see how he would place it under the new box but can't see how he got it from under the original one.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The video is private..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 05:42 PM   #20
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
The video is private..
No, you just have to look under the correct link to see it. You have three choices.....
Old 5th February 2013, 05:44 PM   #21
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Is this a trick ?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 05:52 PM   #22
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The video was not private when originally posted. I don't know why the OP would make it private now.
Old 5th February 2013, 05:53 PM   #23
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Is this a trick ?
Oh no. No trick.

It's a little game of hinky poo, two for me and one for you. Flash yo money, drop a twenny, dere ain't nothin' here that's funny.

Five 'ill get ya ten and a ten will get a Jackson, use your eyes my friend and let's create some action!

Watch the pea, watch the pea. One for you and two for me.
Old 6th February 2013, 04:07 AM   #24
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Oh no. No trick.

It's a little game of hinky poo, two for me and one for you. Flash yo money, drop a twenny, dere ain't nothin' here that's funny.

Five 'ill get ya ten and a ten will get a Jackson, use your eyes my friend and let's create some action!

Watch the pea, watch the pea. One for you and two for me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner