ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th February 2013, 03:26 PM   #161
dafydd
Banned

Lucky they didn't name me Llanystumdwy or Penrhyndeudraeth
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 03:35 PM   #162
Daylightstar
Illuminator

It's quite easy really, if one reads properly
Old 9th February 2013, 03:37 PM   #163
Daylightstar
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Lucky they didn't name me Llanystumdwy or Penrhyndeudraeth
There's all kinds of nicknames one could construct from those names
Old 9th February 2013, 04:13 PM   #164
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

I wasn't actually asking how it was pronounced, I was just doing a Daffy Duck impression.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 04:17 PM   #165
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I wasn't actually asking how it was pronounced, I was just doing a Daffy Duck impression.
Sorry, I didn't notice the spray of spittle.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 04:39 PM   #166
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Having known a dafydd in the past, I don't see it as being difficult to spell at a glance. Though I expect it is easier to spell if the pronunciation is familiar.

Has roryboy abandoned the thread? I hope he's staying in touch with his doctor or therapist.
Old 9th February 2013, 04:54 PM   #167
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Having known a dafydd in the past, I don't see it as being difficult to spell at a glance.
Even easier, given that it is above my avatar in black letters.
Old 9th February 2013, 06:26 PM   #168
Shiner
Motor Mouth

Having known a dafydd in the past, I don't see it as being difficult to spell at a glance. Though I expect it is easier to spell if the pronunciation is familiar.

Has roryboy abandoned the thread? I hope he's staying in touch with his doctor or therapist.

You could ask.......

Dave Richards
New Blood

Quote:

Rory says he's never been to Australia and he doesn't know what you're talking about, Daffyd. Response?

Last edited by Shiner; 9th February 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 07:36 PM   #169
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Dave's not here.
Old 10th February 2013, 01:06 AM   #170
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Has roryboy abandoned the thread?
According to his profile he last visited the site on 3rd February.

Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave's not here.
He last visited when he made his first post, quoted above.
Old 10th February 2013, 02:13 AM   #171
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave's not here.
Good one
Old 10th February 2013, 02:18 AM   #172
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Good one

I knew I could count on you.
Old 10th February 2013, 04:22 AM   #173
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by roryboryalice View Post
Unfortunately for me - I have psychic experiences
No, you don't.

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 04:25 AM   #174
Belz...
Fiend God

A very unreliable and small part of my experiences would be repeatable under this testing
Giggle.

Quote:
And some anecdotes for you
No. Your memory of the anecdotes may be incorrect, your interpretation of the event may be biased, etc. A full double-blind test is what's required of you, and guess what ? No one in the history of humanity has managed to do that. Care to venture a guess as to why ? That's right. No one has those powers, until you can demonstrate that you do.

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 04:27 AM   #175
Belz...
Fiend God

I know that post sounded schizophrenic. But this is the real world, it isn't some fairy tale where people get a textbook definition super power for their using. It is something real that happens to me, and it just so happens it's something I don't want at all. And meds don't really interfere with what I experience.
Saying so, and insisting, is not convincing.

If someone came to you and claimed to be able to fly by flapping his arms, and insisted that it wasn't a fantasy, would you believe him without an actual demonstration ?

Old 10th February 2013, 06:05 AM   #176
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
What evidence is there that these events occured?

I didn't make any claims here. Simply, as the OP believes these things started happening after beginning medication, I don't think anything can be achieved here. I made the point that it doesn't matter what state of mind the person is in, these drugs will alter ones perception.

Are you really asking me to provide evidence of psycho-active medications causing delusions or hallucinations?

Really?
No I am asking for evidence that links the use of ATPs causing delusions or hallucinations?

Usually ATPs do not cause someone to have psychosis.

Your eye-poppi is a nice rhetorical gambit however.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 06:06 AM   #177
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

If only my parents had thought of that!
Is the dd the soft 'th' sound?

I saw you answered already, does Welsh have the double 'th' sounds? hard and soft.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 10th February 2013 at 06:08 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 12:51 AM   #178
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Is the dd the soft 'th' sound?

I saw you answered already, does Welsh have the double 'th' sounds? hard and soft.
Yes, it has 'th' and 'dd' as the different sounds ('th' as in 'thin', 'dd' as in 'the').
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 05:31 AM   #179
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mashuna View Post
Yes, it has 'th' and 'dd' as the different sounds ('th' as in 'thin', 'dd' as in 'the').
Thanks I only knew about that from the Dverry cycle by K. Kerr
Old 12th February 2013, 03:41 AM   #180
Shiner
Motor Mouth

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
No I am asking for evidence that links the use of ATPs causing delusions or hallucinations?

Usually ATPs do not cause someone to have psychosis.

Your eye-poppi is a nice rhetorical gambit however.

I didn't make that claim. I don't know what you're on about, really.

I submit to your greater wisdom.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 08:22 AM   #181
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

@Robroryalice..

Are you on any prescriibed medication?

Because when i was in hospital, under strong medication myself, i was apparently talking to my father (who had died 8yrs earlier)...Which turned out to be my son.. Who thought it was highly amusing and played along with it...and recorded it on his phone..and subsequently pasted on FaceTwitter..or whatever it's called..

Just asking..

DB

Trouble is..over 14,000 have been deleted...

And you think you're 'Hardcore'.. (DB)

Last edited by De_Bunk; 12th February 2013 at 08:24 AM.
De_Bunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 06:28 PM   #182
dlorde
Philosopher

Wow, weird - talking of deja-vu, as I started reading this thread I got a very strong sense of deja-vu, it was like reading a thread from a year or two ago; so much so that I thought it might have been resurrected somehow with new posting dates - I even searched for that comment I remembered making!

I'm not on medication (a light Merlot is all). Maybe this stuff is catching...

I guess this thread is so like many others; I'm sure there was another, similar, Rory (or possibly the same one), then there was that guy who thought he could make people turn to look at him, and that other guy, and so-on... etc., etc.
Old 12th February 2013, 07:12 PM   #183
skepticalbeliever
Thinker

Predict who will be the next Pope if you can tell the future. Tell me when Queen Elizabeth will step down.
skepticalbeliever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 07:14 PM   #184
Akri
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by skepticalbeliever View Post
Predict who will be the next Pope if you can tell the future. Tell me when Queen Elizabeth will step down.
Mike from accounting and a week from Thursday.
Akri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2013, 03:00 PM   #185
roryboryalice
Student

Hello again everyone and sorry for the delayed response. Talking about this with many other people usually just get's me uncomfortable. I'll start with this

Can something as constant as the sun, be a delusion? Every single day, you see the sun. Every day, the sun is in the same exact positions. And every day the sun takes the same amount of time to go across the sky. Can something so constant and clear, just be fake?

I have read over the posts and as I'm not going to respond to every post I missed because that would take quite a bit, I am considering each one. Yes, there are definitely times I am wrong. The times I am wrong most likely outweigh the times I am right. But if somebody legitimetly ever exploded an object just with their mind in real life, and failed every other time, that would still be something of great significance.

I believe what I have falls into the catergory of 'Savant Syndrome'. Feel free to wiki.
Lots of other posts were just silly and do not even deem addressing, as they are very ignorant of what is currently going on with me.

I won't be visiting this thread as often, explained mostly by my first paragraph, and the fact that if anyone doesn't believe me, it's not going to affect me at all.

Edit: I find it funny that another guy claims to have something that nobody else can do and happens to have the same name as me. He obviously read my mind, stole my name and posted before me.

Last edited by roryboryalice; 14th February 2013 at 03:06 PM.
roryboryalice is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2013, 03:22 PM   #186
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Can something as constant as the sun, be a delusion? Every single day, you see the sun. Every day, the sun is in the same exact positions. And every day the sun takes the same amount of time to go across the sky. Can something so constant and clear, just be fake?

What is this thing to which you compare the sun, in its constancy and clarity?
Is it now your claim that your psychic abilities, as outlined earlier, are not in fact only occasionally effective, but are just as constant and clear as the sun?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2013, 03:47 PM   #187
Daylightstar
Illuminator

... it's not going to affect me at all. ...
Outwardly not, we know.
Old 14th February 2013, 03:58 PM   #188
roryboryalice
Student

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
What is this thing to which you compare the sun, in its constancy and clarity?
Is it now your claim that your psychic abilities, as outlined earlier, are not in fact only occasionally effective, but are just as constant and clear as the sun?
It's infact these real situations that lead me to believe that is happening more than it is not. After it happens then after it gets reacted to, I usually learn if it actually had anything to do with me or not. There are times when I believe wow, I swear I thought I was all up in that sitch (situation) with my thoughts. But turns out I'm wrong. There are then times, quite often, where it goes - wow, just by thinking something that person completely responded to it. There was no normal reason for them to do what they did.
roryboryalice is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2013, 04:14 PM   #189
kerikiwi
Philosopher

It's infact these real situations that lead me to believe that is happening more than it is not. After it happens then after it gets reacted to, I usually learn if it actually had anything to do with me or not. There are times when I believe wow, I swear I thought I was all up in that sitch (situation) with my thoughts. But turns out I'm wrong. There are then times, quite often, where it goes - wow, just by thinking something that person completely responded to it. There was no normal reason for them to do what they did.
This maybe it works/maybe it doesn't can hardly be compared to the constancy and clarity of the sun, can it?

How do you learn if 'it' actually had anything to do with you?
Do you cause a reaction from a stranger on the street, then interview said stranger?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2013, 04:43 PM   #190
roryboryalice
Student

This maybe it works/maybe it doesn't can hardly be compared to the constancy and clarity of the sun, can it?

How do you learn if 'it' actually had anything to do with you?
Do you cause a reaction from a stranger on the street, then interview said stranger?
It's the times that it actually happens that makes it so constant. Even if it didn't happen 60% of the time, it would still be constant if the times it did happen were very regular (which they are). The thing is would be knowing when it was real, or when it is all in my head - which is what we're also talking about in this thread.

Edit: But my point is it's not in my head because of how many times it does happen, how it has constants in between each event are so similar, and just how plainly obvious it is to see that it IS happening.

Last edited by roryboryalice; 14th February 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 14th February 2013, 04:49 PM   #191
kerikiwi
Philosopher

It's the times that it actually happens that makes it so constant. Even if it didn't happen 60% of the time, it would still be constant if the times it did happen were very regular (which they are). The thing is would be knowing when it was real, or when it is all in my head - which is what we're also talking about in this thread.
No.
Old 14th February 2013, 05:02 PM   #192
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

Edit: But my point is it's not in my head because of how many times it does happen, how it has constants in between each event are so similar, and just how plainly obvious it is to see that it IS happening.
I think it's all in your head, friend.
Old 14th February 2013, 05:02 PM   #193
roryboryalice
Student

No.
Something constant happens regularly, yes? What I experience is as constant as the every dayness, as consant as the exact positions as the sun. It is also extremely easy to see the sun and all these things together mean you know it's true. Every time you look outside and don't see the sun, doesn't mean it's not constant.
What I see has constant similarities, constantly takes it's form for me to ponder. If my pondering comes to the conclusion that it didn't happen, then it's not even in the same realm of this constant. The constant is about the events that really have no explanation towards them, or the normal one just don't seem to fit. It is constant because, constantly, events happen that don't have a normal explanation unless it is the explanation I am offering.
But does that mean i instantly dismiss every time I was wrong? No, I see how my feelings didn't fit into this constant. I learn from my mistakes and try to see what really happened.
Old 14th February 2013, 05:32 PM   #194
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

So roryboryalice,

I recommend that you apply for one of the many prizes for proof of the paranormal that I posted on page 2 of this thread. If this is real and constant, it should be easy money for you. But think ahead of time how would you prove it in a test. I think a testing organization would be willing to assemble a group of people. They would probably know that they were part of some sort of experiment, but not know any details. What would you be able to do in or with a group like that?

Ward
Old 14th February 2013, 05:39 PM   #195
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
If this is real and constant, it should be easy money for you.
it's real and constant only when it actually happens, say 60% of the time.
Does that qualify for 60% of the prize?
Old 14th February 2013, 07:44 PM   #196
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Edit: I find it funny that another guy claims to have something that nobody else can do and happens to have the same name as me. He obviously read my mind, stole my name and posted before me.

Well, it's nice to see you have a sense of humor
Old 14th February 2013, 11:24 PM   #197
Astreja
Springy Goddess

Hei, Roryboryalice! Have you ever considered whether or not there are any teachable aspects of your purported ability, on the off chance that someone else might be able to find a practical application for it? (That's the power-mad Goddess in Me speaking. )

If it is for real but is unique to you, it'd be fascinating to see an MRI Brain and see if there's any unusual physical brain structure at play here. It could potentially open up a whole new sub-field in neuroscience. (And that's the Medical Transcriptionist and Internal Medicine Geek in Me speaking.)
Old 15th February 2013, 01:21 AM   #198
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Something constant happens regularly, yes?
No. Something constant happens all the time. The sun rises every day, not just some days.

The thing is we expect what you're experiencing to happen sometimes, even if you don't have a paranormal ability. The question you need to ask yourself is: does it happen more often than would be expected by chance? Given that most people vastly underestimate the frequency with which coincidences happen by chance, that's a difficult question to answer intuitively. That is why the only reliable way to find out is to design a suitable test protocol and execute it.
Old 15th February 2013, 01:24 AM   #199
AdMan
Philosopher

it's real and constant only when it actually happens, say 60% of the time.
Does that qualify for 60% of the prize?
If it consistently happens greater than would be expected by chance, and you can agree with the testers on a protocol, then you would likely win the prize.

Go for it.

Last edited by AdMan; 15th February 2013 at 01:26 AM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 06:08 AM   #200
dlorde
Philosopher

I believe what I have falls into the catergory of 'Savant Syndrome'. Feel free to wiki.
Seriously? "... a condition in which a person with serious mental disabilities, including autistic disorder, demonstrates profound and prodigious capacities and/or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal..." [wikipedia].

As far as I can make out, people feel uncomfortable when you're around, and that makes you uncomfortable, and sometimes you think they respond to what you're thinking.

The fact that you can make reasonably coherent posts in this forum would seem to disqualify you from Savant Syndrome, and your claims seem far short of profound and prodigious.

But you've been so vague about your abilities that maybe the profound and prodigious capacities of them hasn't really come across.

Perhaps if you could be more specific - with details of particular instances and a count of the frequency of each type of extraordinary event?

Surely you must document demonstrations of such profound and prodigious capacity?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal