ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags introduce , members , newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 30th January 2013, 01:23 AM   #1521
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
Welcome to the forum Houston.
What is your favorite John Candy moment?
Old 30th January 2013, 01:26 AM   #1522
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by batpuncher View Post
Morning/afternoon/evening everyone, just saying hi before going back to lurking in the CT section. I have all sorts of interests from photography/videography to martial arts through electronics, hopefully there's knowledge there that can make a contribution to this rather quite informative site.
Thats too bad.
Old 30th January 2013, 07:47 PM   #1523
Jerrymander
Scholar

How do you get an avatar? Thanks.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 07:51 PM   #1524
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
How do you get an avatar? Thanks.

You need 50 posts. Nearly halfway there!

Last edited by AdMan; 30th January 2013 at 07:52 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 12:50 PM   #1525
xABD
New Blood

Good day, folks!

Watching some TED Talks the other day, I cam across an older one by Mr. Randi. That led to some searching and... here I am!

Got interested in discussing "psychics" and why people want to believe what SCAMmers tell them when I cleaned out a house a late Aunt had. I created a web site displaying over 50 of the letters she'd received about various SCAMs/Frauds/'psychics'/lotteries/etc. Other interests are providing a home for our two beautiful Grand-daughters and their Mom while they all finish HS and college, helping a little at a computer (mainly Mac) help forum, manipulating digital images with Elements and trying to stay out of the doghouse!

Looking forward to learning some skills that could help me better communicate some logic skills that would help those visiting my web site. Many of us have no idea what some of our seniors are being sent via the USPS... still!
xABD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 05:49 PM   #1526
UTLonghorn
Critical Thinker

Good day to you xABD!

And welcome.
Old 31st January 2013, 06:17 PM   #1527
Mark Maloney
New Blood

Hi all,

As you know, my name is Mark Maloney. I am a little old man (5'-1",) fifty-seven years old, and have a white mustache. Well, I also have numerous nicks on my face from learning to use a straight razor for the first time, but that part of my physiology will pass as soon as I get the hang of it; I hope? Presently, I have so many toilet paper patches on my face that I look like I have a white fuzzy beard. My dogs keep looking at me as if they want to bury me in the yard or something; I am keeping my distance from them for now - attempting self-preservation. I would probably be better off if they just buried my razor. Fortunately, my wife is blind and cannot see the mess I have made of my face.

My primary interests in life are cosmology and cognition. Although I have no formal education, I consider myself highly educated, and call myself, by self-proclamation, a citizen scientist. You can review some of my work in my website "Epluribusunum56.com," and learn a bit more about my life and work.

I am an atheist; God help me Jesus, Mary, Muhammad, and Buda. I play guitar, which makes my dogs cry in agony, often leaving the room. I play piano, which makes my wife wish she were deaf. In addition, I play chess with my computer, which I am sure cheats since I have never been able to win at its highest level in twenty years. I am your standard, typical, commonly average no-body, that has a high opinion of himself. You know, little man syndrome; a Napoleonic condition that standing on a box to make eye contact readily fixes. When I am feeling rather spunky, I stand on a taller box and look down upon others. In spite of myself, and being straight razor challenged, I absolutely love life.

I am very much looking forwards to conversation with other... something that I have not had enough of in life,

Sincerely, Mark Maloney
Mark Maloney is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:43 AM   #1528
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by Mark Maloney View Post
Hi all, , my wife is blind and cannot see the mess I have made of my face.
Is this a determination to conquer a new skill?
As a registered blind person myself, I wonder what sort of technology does your wife use, whether she reads braille or not, etc. That's if she doesn't mind my asking.

And welcome to JREF of course.
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:31 PM   #1529
Playing Games
Scholar

Hi There! I'm another "noob" to the JREF. Just wanted to pop in to say hi! Looks like a very eenteresting crowd with eenteresting humor. I'm all for it.
Playing Games is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:00 PM   #1530
Mark Maloney
New Blood

Dear SusanB-M1,

My wife has been blind since she was a little girl. She read Braille for many years, but her fingers have become so disabled that she can no long feel the Braille. These days she reads via talking books. She has read tens-of-thousand of them. One of the interesting challenges we are facing these days is that she lost her right leg about six weeks ago. We just got a new temporary prosthetic leg, and are trying to learn to use by standing... and maybe one-day walking. She has not been able to walk for many years.

In spite of her disabilities, she is a very happy person. Her doctors and friends are amazed with her. Her cat on the other hand, thinks she takes up to much space on the bed.

You can ask any question you like; we have no problems talking about disabilities. She enjoys when kids ask her questions; when she was a pre-school teacher in the 80's, the kids use to fight over who got to help her walk. Unfortunately, her disabilities have become so profound that she was not able to teach anymore. She does miss teaching them.

Sincerely, Mark Maloney

Last edited by Mark Maloney; 3rd February 2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: left a word out
Mark Maloney is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:57 PM   #1531
FrederickEason
Critical Thinker

Hello. I've lurked for a while, and I've tried to sign up a few times before, but as far as I can tell my browser settings prevented my registration from being accepted, because after switching to Firefox instead of Chrome I was accepted on my first try.

I've frequented /r/skeptic on Reddit for a while, which is where I heard of this forum. I'm glad to be a part of the skeptical community.

Frederick Eason
FrederickEason is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 01:11 AM   #1532
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Mark Maloney

Thank you for your reply. Hope all goes well with the walking!
I am very lucky that I do not have mobility problems and have some peripheral vision.

I recently listened to a book (from RNIB Talking books) called 'As I Seem To Remember' by Sir Leonard Woolley. It's a bit what you might call quaint, but such a pleasure to listen to.
Old 5th February 2013, 07:46 PM   #1533
Donna Noble
Student

Hello. I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone could explain how I can create an avatar. I've looked on 'edit profile' and everywhere else but can't find it anywhere.
Donna Noble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 08:00 PM   #1534
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donna Noble View Post
Hello. I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone could explain how I can create an avatar. I've looked on 'edit profile' and everywhere else but can't find it anywhere.
You need 50 posts before you're allowed an avatar.

Just go to the humor subforum and post away.

Oh, and welcome. Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Old 5th February 2013, 09:50 PM   #1535
Donna Noble
Student

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
You need 50 posts before you're allowed an avatar.

Just go to the humor subforum and post away.

Oh, and welcome. Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. I've been trying to find a good forum now that the Richard Dawkins one no longer exists. I had a bad experience with Atheism+ and another 'atheist' forum consisted of nothing but photos, links, and inane and cliquey 'chat'. I'm a big fan of James Randi but didn't know about this forum until recently.
Donna Noble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 11:13 PM   #1536
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Well,.... welcome Donna Noble. In case you miss the Atheism + Forums....

[A+ Inner Sanctum Mod Mode]
So, you're ******* speaking from ******** privilege and you expect us to give a flying ****** whether you agree with us that that ******* Dawkins is a misogynistic piece of **** who needs to have a syphilitic aardvark crammed up his ******* .
I suggest you just stop that **** right now. Don't even go there, *****! You need to lurk moar! Read the ****** primers, ********!!!
In fact, you know what, *******. You annoy me. Enjoy a one week vacation.[A+ Inner Sanctum Mod Mode off]

We've got quite a thread going over in the Religion/Philosophy sub-forum if you want to discuss your experiences there. Warning: If you're still a member there and intend to go back and post, you cannot say anything too critical of their more privileged Illumini-Notty, because Ceepolk or Catherine is bound to decide you're not discussing "in good faith" and ban you. If, like the rest of us, you just want to vent.... go to it.
(And you can rack up the fifty posts necessary for your avatar without having to go to innocuous threads, to boot.)

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2013, 07:57 AM   #1537
Donna Noble
Student

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well,.... welcome Donna Noble. In case you miss the Atheism + Forums....

[A+ Inner Sanctum Mod Mode]
So, you're ******* speaking from ******** privilege and you expect us to give a flying ****** whether you agree with us that that ******* Dawkins is a misogynistic piece of **** who needs to have a syphilitic aardvark crammed up his ******* .
I suggest you just stop that **** right now. Don't even go there, *****! You need to lurk moar! Read the ****** primers, ********!!!
In fact, you know what, *******. You annoy me. Enjoy a one week vacation.[A+ Inner Sanctum Mod Mode off]

We've got quite a thread going over in the Religion/Philosophy sub-forum if you want to discuss your experiences there. Warning: If you're still a member there and intend to go back and post, you cannot say anything too critical of their more privileged Illumini-Notty, because Ceepolk or Catherine is bound to decide you're not discussing "in good faith" and ban you. If, like the rest of us, you just want to vent.... go to it.
(And you can rack up the fifty posts necessary for your avatar without having to go to innocuous threads, to boot.)
Thanks for the heads-up! That's hilarious. My experience was over Richard Dawkins too. I'm definitely not going back on that forum.
Old 7th February 2013, 02:44 AM   #1538
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Welcome new members. If any of you are concerned about a tyrannical government controlling the Internet, don't worry. This is a safe place and free speech zone. If you want to discuss how the CIA is █████████ in █████████████, or how ████████ invaders from █████████ have █████████ the water supply, feel free to do so. Have evidence that telcom providers are █████████████████████ potato pancakes █████████ Goo Goo Dolls CDs ██████████████████████ and mustaches? Please share them with us.

No one, not even █████████████ will censor content about █████████, █████████, ██████████████████████████████ or posts that discuss ██████████████████ alien foot fungi ██████████. This is the place for the exposure of secrets involving government ██████████████████, planned kitty litter shortages, and █████████████.

We're glad to have you here.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.

Last edited by UnrepentantSinner; 7th February 2013 at 02:46 AM.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 08:17 PM   #1539
Houston I Am
New Blood

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
Welcome to the forum Houston.
Thank you.
Houston I Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 08:21 PM   #1540
Houston I Am
New Blood

Originally Posted by h.g.Whiz View Post
You are not a sports fang, are you?
Depends on the Sport, the Texans are my football team, and racing is my passion. I drive at a local track plus watch and attend NASCAR races.
Houston I Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 11:23 PM   #1541
Foolmewunz

Originally Posted by Houston I Am View Post
Depends on the Sport, the Texans are my football team, and racing is my passion. I drive at a local track plus watch and attend NASCAR races.
Welcome aboard, Houston I Am. You can go hang out in the Formula 1 threads and let the Euro Trash abuse you for liking to watch people drive in circles if you're up for some futility.

Do you know our Esperdome. Also from Houston*. Check out his avatar.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ber.php?u=9944

*No, that's not one of those dumb questions like, "Oh, you're from Seoul? I had a friend in school from Seoul; maybe you knew him. Name was Kim?" The avatar explains why the similarities hit home.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 04:42 PM   #1542
Interrobang
New Blood

Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here!

Hello everyone,

About two years ago I downloaded a few podcasts to occupy my mind on a long drive. I left home without a label and arrived upstate a Skeptic, with a capital "S." I had, in fact, long been a skeptic, but that capital "S" was new to me, and I'm very happy to have discovered this movement and the community that supports it.

I've never really been a message board guy, but this is me, giving it a shot. My gift to myself this summer will be a trip to TAM and I figure it couldn't hurt to really soak myself in the skeptical waters and hopefully make some friends in the months leading up to Vegas.

Best
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360712497.172331.jpg
Interrobang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 08:00 PM   #1543
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Interrobang View Post
Hello everyone,

About two years ago I downloaded a few podcasts to occupy my mind on a long drive. I left home without a label and arrived upstate a Skeptic, with a capital "S." I had, in fact, long been a skeptic, but that capital "S" was new to me, and I'm very happy to have discovered this movement and the community that supports it.

I've never really been a message board guy, but this is me, giving it a shot. My gift to myself this summer will be a trip to TAM and I figure it couldn't hurt to really soak myself in the skeptical waters and hopefully make some friends in the months leading up to Vegas.

Best
Attachment 27635

Welcome, Interrobang. I think you'll find this is a welcoming and enjoyable online community, where you definitely can make friends.

And since you're going to TAM, make sure you follow the threads in the skeptical events subforum to stay on top of the many side activities around TAM. Hope to meet you there!
Old 12th February 2013, 11:25 PM   #1544
Vetinari
New Blood

Hello everyone.

this is the first forum i've ever posted in(lucky lucky you) so please forgive me for any mistakes I make from here on in.
Vetinari is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2013, 01:11 AM   #1545
Ginsen
New Blood

Quick hello

Hello my name is Gina...I've always been a skeptic.... Unfortunately behavior like that was not accepted for me until I became a college student. As a skeptic I do no deny or confirm anything, as everything changes all the time so with the world being so fluid it is good to be open minded and not believe everything we are told. Hoping to have lots of interesting conversations in the future concerning thoughts and views about psychology, sociology, philosophy, and mythology/religion.
Ginsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2013, 09:41 AM   #1546
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

Originally Posted by Vetinari View Post
Hello everyone.

this is the first forum i've ever posted in(lucky lucky you) so please forgive me for any mistakes I make from here on in.
Nice to meet you! It can be a real roller-coaster ride here, but I've learned a lot from both friends and enemies. Hope we can learn much from you!
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2013, 03:12 PM   #1547
Bell
beautiful freak

Welcome Interrobang, Vetinari and Ginsen

I'm sure you'll enjoy these forums.

Vetinari, you'll do fine.

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 03:40 AM   #1548
BangBang
Thinker

Hi! I've been reading these Forums for a long time but never joined. I'm an average bloke - average job, average intelligence! There are a lot of very smart people in here and I've learned a loads just from reading. Anyway, lets see what happens!
BangBang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 03:35 PM   #1549
fdbrian
Student

F=funeral
D=director
Brian=ME

I came here because I was watching Chris Mohr's series of videos. I enjoy reading the forums and seeing how science trumps stupidity every day of the week.
fdbrian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 11:04 AM   #1550
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
Hi! I've been reading these Forums for a long time but never joined. I'm an average bloke - average job, average intelligence! There are a lot of very smart people in here and I've learned a loads just from reading. Anyway, lets see what happens!

I'm still working my way up to average.

Originally Posted by fdbrian View Post
F=funeral
D=director
Brian=ME

I came here because I was watching Chris Mohr's series of videos. I enjoy reading the forums and seeing how science trumps stupidity every day of the week.

Trouble is, there's an awful lot of stupidity to be trumped.

Welcome aboard and very best wishes to you both.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 05:38 PM   #1551
Andrewst
New Blood

Hello there, nice to come aboard!
Andrewst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 08:10 AM   #1552
EKUMA1981
New Blood

Hello from a newbie, from England

Hi y'all!!
EKUMA1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 08:18 AM   #1553
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Andrewst View Post
Hello there, nice to come aboard!

Hi Andrew! It's nice to have you here.

Akhenaten is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 08:22 AM   #1554
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by EKUMA1981 View Post
Hi y'all!!

Well you're not a newbie any more!

From now on you're our old mate EKUMA, also fom England.

Old 18th February 2013, 07:37 PM   #1555
Foolmewunz

Originally Posted by EKUMA1981 View Post
Hi y'all!!
I take it that's SOUTHERN England.

Nice to see at least one of youse trying to speak proper American. Your time's up, guys. Get over it.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 18th February 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 19th February 2013, 04:05 AM   #1556
moebob
Philosopher

Hey guys, everybody is welcome here! I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, and everybody welcomed me! (But they are sorry now!) I started with a real old computer, and dial -up, internet, and no computer knollage! So I went to the humor forum. They corrected me, picked on me, I thought at the time, They weren't picking, they were teaching. And I have learned alot, and still am. And so can you, if you are willing to look at different views, of a said subject.
Old 22nd February 2013, 06:35 AM   #1557
theagenes
New Blood

Hi all. I'm a longtime lurker and reader and I've decided to finally join in. My background is in history and archaeology, and though I'm a skeptic I've always had interest in Fortean subjects. In fact there are a number of popular topics here that are right up my alley so I'm looking forward to joining in the conversations.
theagenes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:55 PM   #1558
zelda19678
New Blood

Hallo, hallo. Bit nervous posting for the first time, but after lurking around for a while, I started feeling like a stalker, and thought I'd better join

I'm a happy skeptic from the Highlands of Scotland with 2 dogs and 6 cats. 2 sons both in the army, one in Afghanistan at the moment.

Just want to say thanks to reading this forum -one of my 'hmm I wonder' beliefs has turned into a 'No chance, how could I have been so stupid''

Thanks to all the clever posting bods
zelda19678 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:10 AM   #1559
AdMan
Philosopher

Welcome, theagenes and zelda19678! Hope you enjoy yourselves here.

Last edited by AdMan; 23rd February 2013 at 12:12 AM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:08 PM   #1560
zelda19678
New Blood

Thank you AdMan.

I probably don't have much to contribute to the forum-evidence wise- to be honest, but wanted to register to show my support for the fab work the longer serving members do. Some of the 'truthers' and 'believers' have made me

My partner has also shown an interest in the website-so you'll probably have to put up with both of us
zelda19678 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!