ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

What did Prisoner X do that was so bad?

Prisoner X. Name not known to jailers. Kept in highest security cell in Isreal. Press not allowed to know what he did. Press not allowed to report on Prisoner X story that was so bad. Press not allowed to report on gag that stops them wondering who Prisoner X was or what he did.

What did he do that warranted such extraordinary treatment? That cell he was kept in was created specially for the man who assassinated in Israeli PM. It was also claimed to by suicide proof.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 11:59 PM   #2
angrysoba
Philosophile

No idea. What is your source?
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Noztradamus
Master Poster

Preached a little gospel, sold a couple bottles of Doctor Good
Old 16th February 2013, 12:30 AM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...soner-x-family

Quote:
An unnamed source was quoted in the Haaretz newspaper claiming a compensation deal was agreed six weeks ago following the conclusion of an official inquiry into the death of Ben Zygier, who was imprisoned in 2010 under a false identity and who killed himself in Unit 15, a "secret prison" within Ayalon jail near Tel Aviv.

Reports of a secret deal with the family follow claims by Zygier's lawyer that he had protested his innocence on the day before his death in a cell that was supposed to have been monitored 24 hours a day.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 12:36 AM   #5
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
http://resources.news.com.au/files/2...y-timeline.pdf

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-1...israel/4517074

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-1...ravels/4519928

http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Ar...aspx?id=303387

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Columni...aspx?id=303331
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 12:39 AM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

Seems to be all over the news:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ri...al-conspiracy/
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Is this "Ben Zygier" who died supposed to have been Prisoner X? If so, then we do know who he was.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 12:12 PM   #8
a_unique_person

I didn't say we don't know who he was now, we do know. What did he do that was so bad?
Old 16th February 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Preached a little gospel, sold a couple bottles of Doctor Good
Thanx for Chering!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 01:41 PM   #10
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Prisoner X. Name not known to jailers. Kept in highest security cell in Isreal. Press not allowed to know what he did. Press not allowed to report on Prisoner X story that was so bad. Press not allowed to report on gag that stops them wondering who Prisoner X was or what he did.

What did he do that warranted such extraordinary treatment? That cell he was kept in was created specially for the man who assassinated in Israeli PM. It was also claimed to by suicide proof.
Its quite possible he commited a fairly conventional crime and mossad wanted to make sure he didn't talk to anyone about his more secret work. Otherwise there's always the possibilty he tried leak some information to someone.

Either way he chose to join mossad and that comes with certian implications.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

He uncovered the whole Zionist conspiracy to rule the world.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Hallo Alfie
Banned

I understand his family has only asked for his body to be returned to Australia.
I assume nothing here - but their silence on innocence or otherwise is interesting.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Checkmite

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Its quite possible he commited a fairly conventional crime and mossad wanted to make sure he didn't talk to anyone about his more secret work.
I'm guessing that's probably it. Presumably there are at least a couple of terrorists or foreign operatives incarcerated in any given general prison in Israel; these would have access of some kind or another to the Mossad guy while he was there, so they preferred to mitigate risk by keeping him somewhere nobody had access to him except guards who didn't know who he was.

In any case, it's obvious he wasn't considered as dangerous or likely a suicide risk as whomever that "special cell" was built for, since they didn't post a 24-hour watch on him.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 05:26 PM   #14
geni

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I'm guessing that's probably it. Presumably there are at least a couple of terrorists or foreign operatives incarcerated in any given general prison in Israel; these would have access of some kind or another to the Mossad guy while he was there,
Unlikely. An Australian isn't exactly going to be able to infiltrate an Arab terrorist group. There might however be a few western governments who would be interested in what he was up to and there are almost certainly elements of the general Israeli prison population who would be prepared to talk to westerners.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 05:31 PM   #15
geni

Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
I understand his family has only asked for his body to be returned to Australia.
I assume nothing here - but their silence on innocence or otherwise is interesting.
Not really. If they actually want to get is body back its in their interests not to irritate the Israeli authorities.
Old 16th February 2013, 05:39 PM   #16
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Unlikely. An Australian isn't exactly going to be able to infiltrate an Arab terrorist group.
David Hicks did.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 05:40 PM   #17
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
He uncovered the whole Zionist conspiracy to rule the world.
Old 16th February 2013, 05:46 PM   #18
a_unique_person

nm

Last edited by a_unique_person; 16th February 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 16th February 2013, 05:49 PM   #19
a_unique_person

David Hicks did.
David Hicks initially joined a Muslim group that was trying to stop the genocide of Muslims by Christians.
Old 16th February 2013, 05:58 PM   #20
geni

David Hicks did.
David Hicks wasn't Jewish. Intelligence agencies don't generally set out to do things the hard way and mossed has access to a domestic Arab population.

An Australian is however useful if you want someone who can move around the world without attracting attention. Not as good as New Zealand of course but Mossad got burned last time they tried that.
Old 16th February 2013, 06:07 PM   #21
Checkmite

Unlikely. An Australian isn't exactly going to be able to infiltrate an Arab terrorist group.
That's not what I mean. I mean, the guy was imprisoned for a crime in Israel, which might lead to him being less than a fan of the Israeli government; and, being a non-Israeli, he might be a little easier to convince (by fair means or foul) under those circumstance to divulge various Mossad-y things he may be aware of.
Old 16th February 2013, 07:05 PM   #22
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Not really. If they actually want to get is body back its in their interests not to irritate the Israeli authorities.
Fair point.

David Hicks initially joined a Muslim group that was trying to stop the genocide of Muslims by Christians.
That's an interesting slant on truth and history.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 08:28 PM   #23
a_unique_person

Quote:
In 1999, Hicks travelled to Albania, joining the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA), a militant organisation of ethnic Albanians fighting against Serbian forces in the Kosovo War, for two months.[25]
You could read about the massacres.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ovo/cleansing/
Old 16th February 2013, 08:38 PM   #24
Hallo Alfie
Banned

My mistake; I misunderstood the 'initially' part.
Old 16th February 2013, 08:55 PM   #25
Noztradamus
Master Poster

It's been more that two years since he was buried. Is anyone expecting Israeli special forces to raid Springvale Cemetary Melbourne, and dig him up?
Old 16th February 2013, 10:07 PM   #26
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds kind of Kafkaesque.
Old 16th February 2013, 10:59 PM   #27
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
It's been more that two years since he was buried. Is anyone expecting Israeli special forces to raid Springvale Cemetary Melbourne, and dig him up?
I saw a picture of his tomb stone, IIRC.

Whatever he did was supposed to cause great embarrassment to his family.
Old 16th February 2013, 11:03 PM   #28
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Sounds kind of Kafkaesque.
Or John Le Carre.
Old 16th February 2013, 11:11 PM   #29
Hallo Alfie
Banned

So what did Ben Zygier do that was so bad AUP? Or are we just setting up for another "bash Israel" thread?
Old 17th February 2013, 12:14 AM   #30
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

In other words, fight a holy war.

The way you say it suggests you don't think the activity is abhorrent?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 12:20 AM   #31
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Nothing, of course. The ebil Zionazis suicided him to avoid having all their terrible passport secrets exposed.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 09:25 AM   #32
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Nothing, of course. The ebil Zionazis suicided him to avoid having all their terrible passport secrets exposed.
This is the third, or is it fourth, completely useless reply to this thread.
Old 17th February 2013, 10:10 AM   #33
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

So where in Afghanistan/Pakistan was this genocide of Muslims by Christians taking place? Odd this genocide didn't make headlines anywhere.

David Hicks wasn't Jewish.
So?
Old 17th February 2013, 10:17 AM   #34
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

You could read about the massacres.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ovo/cleansing/
And yet he found himself in Afghanistan fighting for the people who subjugate, torture and mutilate fellow Muslims, and treat Muslim women like chattel. Lovely guy, a real humanitarian!
Old 17th February 2013, 12:52 PM   #35
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

So the message of this thread is Israel is bad (as always) because they arrested one of their own and haven't publicly announced the reason, but an actual Islamic terrorist isn't so bad because one of the early actions of his militant career could be seen as morally neutral from the right point of view, if you take pains to find that exact point of view.

Does that about sum it up?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 03:40 PM   #36
a_unique_person

And yet he found himself in Afghanistan fighting for the people who subjugate, torture and mutilate fellow Muslims, and treat Muslim women like chattel. Lovely guy, a real humanitarian!
He did, he left the Taliban because he found he realised he had made a mistake, that he was now one of the 'bad guys' and has since renounced Islam. We he actually did as a member of the Taliban is under dispute. His initial action was an attempt to help a desperate group of people being massacred. Which is really nothing to do with this thread.
Old 17th February 2013, 04:22 PM   #37
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

“We are not like other countries,” [Netanyahu] added. “We are more threatened, more challenged, and therefore we must maintain proper activity of our security agencies, so I ask everyone —let the security forces carry on their work quietly so we can continue living in security and tranquillity in the state of Israel.”

Don't ask questions. Just trust us.
Old 17th February 2013, 05:08 PM   #38
a_unique_person

The Israeli Parliament is to hold an enquiry.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/israe...218-2elst.html

From that article.

Quote:

Meanwhile, a senior Israeli official claimed Australia's intelligence community was ''deeply involved'' in the case and had even interrogated Mr Zygier on suspicion he was spying for the Jewish state.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/israe...#ixzz2LCiBZQOp
When Zygier had become an Israeli citizen, he had also retained his Australian citizenship. This allowed him to travel on Australian or Israeli passports. It also allowed him to obtain passports from Australia for use by Mossad. Mossad would have required that he retain dual citizenship so he could obtain the passports. So he is in effect, betraying Australia, because he is still a citizen of Australia.

What this could mean is that ASIO had already worked out what was going on, because he had asked for several passports in different names, which you would expect to raise some alerts. So ASIO was on to him, and we don't know what they planned to do about this, or expected of him. Mossad then found out that he had been compromised by ASIO, so he is now a traitor to Israel as well. Le Carre couldn't have thought up better double bind. His loyalty to two countries makes him a traitor to both, and winds up with his death.
Old 17th February 2013, 05:29 PM   #39
smartcooky
Master Poster

I'll tell what we do know about him...

► He drove a Lotus Seven series II.
► He was imprisoned on an isolated island (that bore a striking resemblance to a little Welsh village).
►The only means of mechanical transport on the island were bicycles and mini-mokes.
► If he tried to escape, he was chased down by a big rubbery white beach ball.
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 05:50 PM   #40
smartcooky
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
“We are not like other countries,” [Netanyahu] added. “We are more threatened, more challenged, and therefore we must maintain proper activity of our security agencies, so I ask everyone —let the security forces carry on their work quietly so we can continue living in security and tranquillity in the state of Israel.”
I seem to recall reading about someone called Adolph Hitler saying something like that back in 1939...

http://www.holocaustresearchproject....hquestion.html
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics