ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags tai chi

Old 17th February 2013, 03:57 PM   #121
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
The first action has to be the claimant sending in an application, so it's not the JREF that should be pushed, at least initially. The first step is completely the applicant's. Negotiating details of the test happens after the application is submitted with the initial, proposed protocol (correct me if I'm wrong).
I'll agree that step one is filling out an application.

But I would suggest that step zero is the claimant clearly and unambiguously defining what he or she can do. Far too many applicants skip this necessary step and jump straight to the application.

ETA: And I know I am splitting hairs here, but step one-half is reading the instructions associated with the application. Again, that is a too-often skipped step.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.

Last edited by Ladewig; 17th February 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 07:52 PM   #122
Paul2
Graduate Poster

Your points (half-points?) are well-taken.
Old 14th March 2013, 06:58 PM   #123
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I don't get this. Tai Chi Chuan is an international-level event. Here's some video of a championship of some kind:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

While it doesn't look all that exciting as combat sports go, it doesn't look even vaguely woo-ish.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2013, 10:42 AM   #124
Wudang
BOFH

Exactly. It's like some javelin-thrower guy claiming that while other people throw using muscles, he doesn't while he moves in exactly the way that other javelin throwers move when throwing a javelin.

Anyway from that Facebook page

Quote:
Seems to be the day for "breaking news". This was recently posted in The Kwoon by Don Ethan Miller but was immediately deleted by the admins there (can you guess who?):

---------------------

Okay, guys, I am afraid I have to be the one who tells you that the Emperor has no clothes, or people will go on and on until reality is a distant memory...I was there, I pushed with Michael Phillips, and with Fenway Yang, and David Carr, and many other fine folks. But I regret to inform you that MP's skills, energy, level of knowledge are simply not what he says they are, nor what so many people seem to be confirming, I know not why. Many people were there and saw both me and Fernando Bernall EASILY handle MP, in fact we were both shocked by how little "stuff" he actually had. I know he claims to have a back injury, but I have multiple injuries that put me at less than full strength, but I can still manifest certain abilities that are the result of my 40 years training. I would like others who were there to contribute their honest observations. The time is long past when we need to lie about what goes on in order to be polite--especially when grotesque distortions are being disseminated. I challenge those of you who were there to speak out, so that I don't have to be the bad guy and spill all the beans to those who weren't. And I REALLY tired of the amount of BS that is being laid down by people without real ability. Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is the way it is. And Michael, I would be happy to share what knowledge I have with you, so you can possibly bring some reality to all the stuff you talk about. Peace out.

Old 15th March 2013, 10:48 AM   #125
Wudang
BOFH

For those interested a really good article in decent english explaining the basics of tai chi

http://taiji-europa.eu/tai-chi-taiji...nner-s-skills/
Old 15th March 2013, 11:24 AM   #126
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Was that facebook post referring to martial arts abilities or magic abilities? It's hard to tell. Thanks for reporting on what's going on over there, though.

Ward
Old 15th March 2013, 11:55 AM   #127
Wudang
BOFH

There are some technical skills that tai chi people can show each other via pushing hands. Now this Michael Philips claims that not only is he a high level at this but he does it without muscle but by a non-physical means. Don pushed hands with him and found he didn't have much in the way of basics. No need to invoke woo explanations for his powers because he doesn't have any.
Old 1st June 2013, 06:39 AM   #128
Wudang
BOFH

How "chi" came to the west ...
http://chriskresser.com/chinese-medi...model-debunked

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge