ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia politics , Julia Gillard

Reply
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:28 PM   #81
Praktik
Illuminator
 
Praktik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,421
The North American reactionaries are championing Gillard as a brave, stalwart presence in the face of un-christian radicalism - THIS showed up in my facebook feed today:
W O W ! She Did It
Again!!!


Australia says NO -- This will be the second Time Julia Gillard has done this!

She sure isn't backing down on her hard line stance and one has to appreciate her belief in the rights of her native countrymen.

A breath of fresh air to see someone lead.� Australian Prime Minister does it again!!

The whole world needs a leader like this!


Prime Minister Julia Gillard - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

...

Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

....

NOTE: IF we circulate this amongst ourselves in Canada & USA , WE will find the courage to start speaking and voicing the same truths.

If you agree please SEND THIS ON and ON, to as many people as you know...
what a hero
__________________
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:42 PM   #82
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Source.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:44 PM   #83
Praktik
Illuminator
 
Praktik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,421
my facebook feed

couldn't see where they linked it - was a copy paste job into the feed with no link

google might turn something up, if you really really want to google that tripe be my guest
__________________
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:53 PM   #84
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
So why post it? What's your point?
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:55 PM   #85
Praktik
Illuminator
 
Praktik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,421
I thought this was the collection bin for posts about Gillard being trash?

I am telling you her infection is spreading into sympathetic quarters of north america

Geez - it's like pulling teeth with you Alfie!
__________________
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:58 PM   #86
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
Prediction: Julia will step in and reinstate the payments - like a knight in shining armour. She is in a position to do so now and be the hero as all bets are off regarding a surplus (which was the only reason for the cuts in the first place). Sadly for them, Macklin and Swan will be left looking like fools - but it wouldn't be the first time she has left others holding the bag.
As if on cue.....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/pla...-1226547328473

DOLE payments to single people would be boosted by $50 a week under a plan being considered by the Gillard Government.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:01 PM   #87
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 34,152
Originally Posted by Praktik View Post
I thought this was the collection bin for posts about Gillard being trash?

I am telling you her infection is spreading into sympathetic quarters of north america

Geez - it's like pulling teeth with you Alfie!
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Alfie, but you post some right wing, unattributed, reactionary, inaccurate and inarticulate rant and expect it to add anything?
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:04 PM   #88
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Alfie, but you post some right wing, unattributed, reactionary, inaccurate and inarticulate rant and expect it to add anything?
Quite. Facts and/or opinion are one thing, this is another altogether.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:05 PM   #89
Praktik
Illuminator
 
Praktik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,421
wow its so serious in here!

If it makes you feel better I'll delete it - thought it was a fun thing you guys would be interested to see - didn't realize we were working on a scholarly endeavour here!

<posts deleted>

EDIT: maybe I can't delete? Alright feel free to PM a mod to delete all my posts here, sorry for sharing something I thought might get a quirky smile outta you!
__________________
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks

Last edited by Praktik; 3rd January 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:08 PM   #90
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Don't delete them, if there is any truth in them someone may be able to comment. I just figured you had a source or a point.

No offence intended nor taken. I am not that serious.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:12 PM   #91
Praktik
Illuminator
 
Praktik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,421
Well there is a kernel of truth - that christianists up here are using to argue for anti-muslim policy stances...

The interesting part isn't the particular actions of the PM with respect to "sharia law" - whatever those might be, but the way Gillard is being portrayed by these people up here as taking a courageous stand for Christians our politicians should look to emulate.

I imagine the truth of the matter is less important to these people than The Truth, if you catch my drift.. I thought you might get a kick out of seeing that ripple effect hit social media networks in North America, much like us Canucks like to hear other people talk about us... you know, middle power disease and all..
__________________
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks

Last edited by Praktik; 3rd January 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 03:52 AM   #92
DC
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,068
Quote:
Worst PM ever
that is oppinion and not fact. so no, you are not dealing with facts here, but a mix of facts and oppinion. don't fool yourself.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 04:27 AM   #93
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Originally Posted by DC View Post
that is oppinion and not fact. so no, you are not dealing with facts here, but a mix of facts and oppinion. don't fool yourself.
Did I say otherwise?
In fact, I believe I said precisely that. And in my opinion, after considering the facts at my disposal, Gillard is Australia's worst PM ever.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 4th January 2013 at 04:29 AM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 04:30 AM   #94
DC
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,068
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
Did I say otherwise?
In fact, I believe I said precisely that. And in my opinion, after considering the facts at my disposal, Gillard is Australia's worst PM ever.
oh for some reason i had the impression you claim to deal with facts here.... sorry my misstake
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 04:35 AM   #95
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Facts and opinion. Both are on display here and you are welcome to argue a case anytime you like.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 09:18 PM   #96
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-2...sifies/4474330

Quote:
The Federal Government is coming under more pressure today to reveal how much revenue, if any, it has managed to raise from its controversial mining tax.
LOL. The MMRT looks to have raised zero in the first six months.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226557968113
Quote:
AUSTRALIAN Greens leader Christine Milne says Prime Minister Julia Gillard isn't sticking to a promise of monthly updates on the mining tax because she's embarrassed it hasn't collected any revenue.
LOL even harder; the Greens are upset that Gillard is not keeping her word.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 08:45 PM   #97
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Gillard "worst" confirmed - in a fashion.

http://www.news.com.au/national/john...-1226561231526

Quote:
JOHN Howard has been overwhelmingly backed as the country's best prime minister of the past quarter of a century in a new poll, which ranks Julia Gillard last.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2013, 05:35 AM   #98
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,392
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
Gillard "worst" confirmed - in a fashion.


What do the quotation marks signify?
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2013, 01:29 PM   #99
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
The article ranked her last, others (including me) judge her worst.

The "worst PM ever" tag has been confirmed, in a fashion.

I do hope that clears things up.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2013, 03:45 PM   #100
wombatwal
Graduate Poster
 
wombatwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,227
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post

Quote:
JOHN Howard has been overwhelmingly backed as the country's best prime minister of the past quarter of a century in a new poll, which ranks Julia Gillard last.
Cannot agree about Howard.
A Prime Minister that did nothing with the rivers of money except tax cuts and middle class welfare. Look at our mess now with a lack of technological and transport infrastructure.
A Prime Minister that took us into the most immoral war that we have ever been in, (Iraq).
The Prime Minister with the most profligate wasteful spending in recent decades following analysis by the IMF.
A Prime Minister that had no compunction to divide the country and demonise people for his own political gain.
wombatwal is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2013, 06:30 PM   #101
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,392
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
The article ranked her last, others (including me) judge her worst.

The "worst PM ever" tag has been confirmed, in a fashion.

I do hope that clears things up.


I see. The quotes mean that it's a purely subjective opinion and as such has no real meaning or value.

I thought so.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2013, 10:46 PM   #102
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I see. The quotes mean that it's a purely subjective opinion...(snip)
he he.. Which I have freely admitted in the past. Now we have "proof" that she is the worst.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 6th February 2013 at 11:07 PM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 01:40 AM   #103
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Hey! That mining tax of Gillard's is a winner.

First the Gillard party kicks and screams about releasing information that they promised they would furnish. When they are finally compelled to, they announce an embarrassingly small amount ($120mil in the first six months against a projected $2bil in its first year), and to add to the farce Swannie still tries and spin it as a positive.

It wouldn't matter at all I guess except they have already spent what they were expecting to receive.

*&%# Expletive deleted *&%$ useless!

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 8th February 2013 at 01:42 AM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2013, 02:10 PM   #104
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Gillard has her eyes on your superannuation folks.

She has run out of money and needs more, she has spent too much and made too many promises against too little income. Her taxes like the MMRT and Carbon tax will realise only the merest fraction of what was estimated now and in the future. Yet the commitments against that promised income have been made will remain (eg the disability insurance scheme and carbon tax compensation payments).

There is a lot of money just sitting there waiting to be harvested for a greedy government. Is retirement looming? Even if it's not you should start to worry; your future is looking like being robbed.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 01:45 AM   #105
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Quote:
THE federal government's fiscal position continues to deteriorate, with new data showing a $22 billion deficit in the six months to December 2012.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226579055792

How's that "No ifs, no buts" surplus coming Prime Minister? Treasurer?

What! Blown out even further?

So let me get this right, you promised a surplus and "failure was not an option". Now the very very skinny surplus has turned into a $22b deficit? And that's for just the first six months?!

Worlds greatest treasurer? Julia, seriously.... can you two even count?


What's that? Oh, the falling commodity prices are to blame? Not according to treasury:
Quote:
TREASURY secretary Martin Parkinson has admitted the design of the mining tax is responsible for its failure to generate revenue, not the falling commodity prices, higher currency and state royalties blamed by the government.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226578314817

Don't like the Australian. Try the AFR:
http://www.afr.com/p/national/mining...SEcGr6zaJAd52L

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 15th February 2013 at 01:53 AM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 02:41 AM   #106
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
The ABC can ignore it no longer.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-1...pected/4522108
Quote:
New figures show the Federal Government's overall budget position at the start of the year was more than $2.4 billion worse than expected.

The underlying cash balance for the financial year to date shows a deficit of $22.3 billion. Treasury had forecast that figure would be $19.8 billion.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 08:01 AM   #107
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,392
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
Compelling indeed.
Why and how?


I have no idea why. The how is simply a matter of posting the same thing over and over, presumably in hope of a reaction.

I'm somewhat saddened that they occur but whatever, it's just the internet.

The main thing is that Ms Gillard continues to lead us from success to success, despite the worst wishes of teh Haters.

Sucks to be them.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 01:23 PM   #108
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
The tax free threshold was raised as part of the compensation for the carbon tax. People will not need compensation if the tax is not there. They will be no worse off under this arrangement.

Fail.
You stated my post here is "invalid". I have asked you to explain why and how.

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I have no idea why.
Colour me not surprised.

Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
The how is simply a matter of posting the same thing over and over, presumably in hope of a reaction.
Wrong.
It was claimed Abbott would roll back taxes making people worse off. I have explained why that wont be the case. This is not repeating in hope of a reaction.

Can you now explain in what way my counterclaim to something factually and demonstrably incorrect is "invalid"? Or are you simply playing diversion to others' ignorance (not for the first time either)?

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 15th February 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 10:54 PM   #109
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 35,510
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
Australia's financial status,

From Wikipedia

Quote:
Public finances
Public debt 26.9% of GDP (2012 est.)[6]
Budget deficit $20.3 billion (2011–12)[7]
Revenues $473.2 billion (2011–12)[7]
Expenses $521.8 billion (2011–12)[7]
Economic aid donor: ODA, $7.7 billion (2012)[8]
Credit rating Standard & Poor's:[9]
AAA (Domestic)
AAA (Foreign)
AAA (T&C Assessment)
Outlook: Stable
Moody's:[10]
Aaa
Outlook: Stable
Fitch:[11]
AAA
Outlook: Stable
Looks to me like Labor has done a good job, considering the state of the rest of the world's economies, including Western Nations. There is nothing wrong it, there a deficit this year of about 0.2%, which is meaningless except to those with a deficit fetish.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 01:58 AM   #110
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Why would you produce wiki (wiki, seriously?) when the Labor pamphlet goes to the heart of things?

Firstly.
Quote:
In these uncertain global times there’s no clearer sign of a strong economy than a surplus.

So other signs are secondary. A surplus is the "clearest", "in these times". Consequently no surplus contributes massively to our uncertainty.

But here's the gift that keeps on giving....
Quote:
We’ve delivered a surplus on time, as promised.
This is quite probably the biggest lie I can recall in Australian federal politics. It epitomises the level of the deceit that we have come to expect from this government, under this PM and treasurer. It is also a very good example of the contempt they have for the intelligence of the electorate.

Good economic managers would not have painted themselves into the corner they have:
- The carbon tax will not generate the income they projected - yet they have spent and or promised the money already.
- Ditto the MRRT
- The 'no ifs, no buts', 'failure is not an option' fudget surplus (that was fiddled within an inch of its life to just put on paper) now is being given ifs, buts and excuses.
- They lied, and lied and still lie.
- They fell arse backwards into a mining boom and still managed to stuff it up.

Good economic managers do not do these things. Gillard and Swan do.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 16th February 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 02:31 AM   #111
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 35,510
You can go by results, Australia's economy is just about the best performing on the whole globe, during the greatest economic crises since the Great Depression.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 02:36 AM   #112
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,392
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You can go by results, Australia's economy is just about the best performing on the whole globe, during the greatest economic crises since the Great Depression.


Absolutely.

What a great PM Ms Gillard has turned out to be.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 02:39 AM   #113
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 34,152
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You can go by results, Australia's economy is just about the best performing on the whole globe, during the greatest economic crises since the Great Depression.
Correct. Labor has managed the nation's economy excellently. 12th largest economy in the world. This must stick in the craw of Gillard haters, who wish for economic armageddon, which will not happen. At least until Abbott and Hockey get their hands on Treasury......
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 02:40 AM   #114
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 35,510
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Absolutely.

What a great PM Ms Gillard has turned out to be.
She has her faults. This fear and loathing campaign is beyond rational and destructive to Australian democracy. I have observed question time, and it is treated like an ad for Crazy Johns phones. The opposition under Abbott fails to realise he is now hated just as much as the target of their venom for just that reason.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 02:54 AM   #115
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
She has her faults.
She has many. But please elaborate, I would love to know if we have some points of agreement.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 03:02 AM   #116
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 35,510
Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
She has many. But please elaborate, I would love to know if we have some points of agreement.
Every PM has their faults, they are human after all.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 03:16 AM   #117
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Yeah, but which ones does she have in your opinion?
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 03:28 PM   #118
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Correct. Labor has managed the nation's economy excellently. 12th largest economy in the world. This must stick in the craw of Gillard haters, who wish for economic armageddon, which will not happen. At least until Abbott and Hockey get their hands on Treasury......
If things are so good, why does Gillard et al keep repeating the lines "we feel your pain" (owtte)?
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 05:44 PM   #119
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 35,510
Abbott has successfully told people they are badly off, with the help of the Murdoch press. The fact is, new car sales are at record levels, housing prices are till high. On average, people are doing very well. A politician can never say that, of course.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 06:25 PM   #120
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,693
In other words, when Julia says "I feel your pain" as she has done over and again, she is lying?
Colour me unsurprised.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.