ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th February 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Windows XP on a new laptop

I just bought a new laptop (my first ever new new one) and the closest thing to current technology I've ever owned. It's coming with Windows 8, though, and if I don't like it all I have to replace it with is XP. Can XP run a laptop with an i5 3120, 8G ram, and a 750g HD?

ETA: Title should of course read "XP", not "XL"

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen

Last edited by Piscivore; 26th February 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 03:50 PM   #2
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
Probably not. Odds are it's 64bit as well.
Old 26th February 2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Soapy Sam
NLH

It would use less than half the RAM, too.

The Windows 8 thread seems to suggest 8 is perfectly usable.
There's always Linux.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

That's what I thought, thanks.

I didn't want to interrupt the squabbling going on in the other thread, but there should be no problem with W8 running open-source software that works in XP and W7, is there?

Last edited by Piscivore; 26th February 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
ohms
Muse

If the laptop has UEFI then installing another OS is not always straightforward. Recently a number of Samsung laptops were bricked when their users tried to install Ubuntu onto them.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:37 PM   #6
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
No, but you'll want Desktop mode. That's pretty much it.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Salerio
Thinker

XP is end of life, Win 7 is current
Old 26th February 2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Originally Posted by Salerio View Post
XP is end of life, Win 7 is current
Yes, but XP I have, and Win 7 is $~100

Old 26th February 2013, 05:14 PM   #9
FFed
Muse

After you format the drive you can put whatever you want on it. The only problem would be finding XP drivers. I ran into that issue before after putting XP on a win7 laptop. I couldn't get network drivers so I was stuck without internet.
FFed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 05:28 PM   #10
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Another issue. Do you really have XP? If you went to a shop and bought it then you probably do. But if you got it with a computer then it will not work. OED is the jargon word for the later. I also vote you leave Windows 8 on the machine and learn to use that.

Also for the first 10 minutes the OP has the right to change the thread title. You will see the option in advanced mode.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Another issue. Do you really have XP? If you went to a shop and bought it then you probably do.
Yeah, I've got a full version. I've also got my CDs for 95 and 98. I'm like the opposite of an early adopter.

Old 26th February 2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Brainiac
Thinker

I'm not a fan of Windows 8, but I got used to it.

If you have a brand new laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed, I would strongly recommend that you simply learn all of the nuances of Windows 8. That would be a far better use of your time than trying to get an old version of Windows installed and getting all of the drivers you need to work with your new hardware.

I loved Windows XP. But I don't bother with it any more. I'd rather be familiar with current technology. Heck, you might even find some things you like about it.
Brainiac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 06:06 PM   #13
jj
grumpy old skeptic

If you don't want W8, get W7. It will run in native 64 bit, which is more or less obligatory with that box. Running 64 bit XP is not going to be pleasant.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
It would use less than half the RAM, too.
The rest can be turned into a ramdisk, which can be put to good use by putting temporary files/scratch disks/memory caches/virtual memory on.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Xulld
Master Poster

Love XP.

One of the problems not mentioned is that your new laptop will likely run like your old laptop.

XP does not take advantage of multi core procs.

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 04:00 PM   #16
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Drivers will be close to impossible to get. Half of the RAM will be wasted. The CPU isn't really designed in a way that XP can fully use. All of these are good reasons to not install XP in this case. I'd seriously consider buying an old laptop instead for $100-$200 (tops).

With that being said, IF you own a proper XP install disk there should be an option to do a dual boot install right at the start of the install process so if you wanted to futz around with it to see if you can get it to work to your satisfaction then I'd say give it a try, but first make sure that you have a hard copy of Windows 8 first (not just the recovery partition but a DVD with the entire OS install on it). I'd probably even go so far as to do a clean install using only that disk just to make 100% sure that it will work as intended before trying to install XP.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

I've had the new laptop now for a few hours and so far Windows 8 is just fine. Everything I've put on it has worked fine.

Old 28th February 2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Soapy Sam
NLH

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
The rest can be turned into a ramdisk, which can be put to good use by putting temporary files/scratch disks/memory caches/virtual memory on.
Ramdisk. Gosh. Long time since I heard that word. Last time I used a ramdisk was with DOS 5.1 , I think.
You have made me think.
I have a laptop with more RAM than I regularly need. Is there a native Ramdisk creationcommand in Win 7? (Don't think so).

ETA- http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Last edited by Soapy Sam; 28th February 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Soapy Sam
NLH

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
I've had the new laptop now for a few hours and so far Windows 8 is just fine. Everything I've put on it has worked fine.

Good.
Old 28th February 2013, 01:40 PM   #20
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Xulld View Post
Love XP.

One of the problems not mentioned is that your new laptop will likely run like your old laptop.

XP does not take advantage of multi core procs.
XP does indeed take advantage of multi-core processors. XP was better at it than Vista, and for a while, XP was also better at it than W7.

After W7 matured, it was faster.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mic...ista,6895.html

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 28th February 2013 at 02:05 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 10:20 AM   #21
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
I just bought a new laptop (my first ever new new one) and the closest thing to current technology I've ever owned. It's coming with Windows 8, though, and if I don't like it all I have to replace it with is XP. Can XP run a laptop with an i5 3120, 8G ram, and a 750g HD?

ETA: Title should of course read "XP", not "XL"
XP: Probably not. It's likely that drivers don't exist for your hardware.

Windows 7, OTOH, which is not a bad OS at all, would probably work.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 10:29 AM   #22
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jj View Post
If you don't want W8, get W7. It will run in native 64 bit, which is more or less obligatory with that box. Running 64 bit XP is not going to be pleasant.
XP 64 isn't bad at all, but it really is an orphan OS at this point. I had to do some serious hacking to get iTunes (needed to work with my iPhone) to install on it. The chances of finding hardware drivers for XP 64 for a new machine are slim and none.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:37 PM   #23
alexg
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
XP does indeed take advantage of multi-core processors. XP was better at it than Vista, and for a while, XP was also better at it than W7.

After W7 matured, it was faster.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mic...ista,6895.html
Just curious, was this the "study" by Randall Kennedy, the guy dismissed from info world by misrepresenting himself as an independent researcher by another name (Craig Barth)so as to publish (likely) bogus studies showing how much faster XP was than Vista? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_C._Kennedy

I remember this time well, there was a lot of talk about how slow Vista was but it turned out to be hard to quantify. Much of the bad experience had to do with bad or non-existent drivers and to putting the somewhat heavier OS on machines with inadequate RAM. Also proper testing of "OS speed" turned out to be full of difficulties. In many ways Vista felt faster to me, part of that was hardware acceleration of desktop graphics which made the fancy desktop graphics counter-intuitively quite fast.

As for specifically whether it was better optimized for multi-core I am not certain, it was designed to be faster, but in the real world it is hard to say. But Randall Kennedy has zero credibility on the subject and it does appear to be his info world article referenced at Toms.

Last edited by alexg; 2nd March 2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: sp
alexg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet