ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th February 2013, 02:33 PM   #281
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. It decreases span loading, decreases wing loading, and increases aspect ratio, all good things from a power-reduction standpoint. The only drawback I can see is the increased weight to take the increased bending moment.
Open class sailplanes go up to about 30 meter span.
The tip is moving faster, and so the amount of lift that extended area can generate is larger than a similar area nearer the hub. So you can slow the whole rotor down a little bit compared to the original rotor, reducing drag on the inner part of the rotor for the same overall amount of lift.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:11 PM   #282
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
Sure. It decreases span loading, decreases wing loading, and increases aspect ratio, all good things from a power-reduction standpoint. The only drawback I can see is the increased weight to take the increased bending moment.
Open class sailplanes go up to about 30 meter span.
The tip is moving faster, and so the amount of lift that extended area can generate is larger than a similar area nearer the hub. So you can slow the whole rotor down a little bit compared to the original rotor, reducing drag on the inner part of the rotor for the same overall amount of lift.
One of the difficult decisions to be made (when I get to the wings) is exactly how far out from the hub to start the wings. The distance the Upturn uses seems about right to me for long wings. Although a greater number of shorter wings starting even further out might be better. I think slow rotation with wings extending to a large diameter is best for human power. Itís all wings and roundabouts
Old 10th February 2013, 03:31 PM   #283
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by AmishmanDan View Post
Does truth need to be draped with a spirit? If someone asked me a question, I can answer with a very true statement, that is mean spirited. I can also offer unsolicited truth that is mean spirited.

Denying reality is not the same as filtering reality. Truth is often packaged within opinion.
So's BS.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 05:08 PM   #284
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
One of the difficult decisions to be made (when I get to the wings) is exactly how far out from the hub to start the wings. The distance the Upturn uses seems about right to me for long wings. Although a greater number of shorter wings starting even further out might be better. I think slow rotation with wings extending to a large diameter is best for human power. Itís all wings and roundabouts
Make a spreadsheet.
For every foot or so along the rotor, calculate:
The lift from your chosen airfoil at that station airspeed at best L/D alpha.
The airfoil drag at best L/D
The estimated weight of the airfoil structure at that station.
The estimated weight of the spar alone.
Where the drag of the airfoil is less than that of the bare spar and the lift generated is greater than the difference between spar and airfoil structure weights, having an airfoil there is a net benefit.

At some point near the hub, either the airfoil will be draggier than the spar alone, or more likely, the lift generated will become less than the additional airfoil structure.

Excel and OpenOffice both have a goal-seeking tool, so if you sum the lift generated, you can use the spreadsheet to iteratively change the rotation speed until the sum of lift matches your estimated machine flying weight.
You should be able to calculate the torque required from the drag values and their moment arms. That and the rpm should estimate your power required.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 11:50 AM   #285
ynot
Philosopher

Thanks - Didn't know OpenOffice had that function.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:51 PM   #286
ynot
Philosopher

Finally found a clip of the Upturn being ďflownĒ. Well the wings go around but it doesnít appear to gain any height - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkNI3WwntBc
Old 22nd February 2013, 01:17 PM   #287
quarky
Banned

Greetings, aero-freaks.
Been away for a month, but I'm still intersested.
The most recent you-tube I've seen looked like the Gamera team was honing in on it, fast.
They got good altitude; decent endurance...
The issue looked like a control issue...staying in that 10 meter box.

Ynot?

Any advances in your game?
(All ears.)

quarky
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:27 PM   #288
ynot
Philosopher

Welcome back quarky. Iíve had a bit if illness lately that has slowed me down but nothing too serious.

The Gamera Team say - ďThe team is currently designing a control system to remain within the required 10m x 10m box during flight, and that we will be flying in late winter/early spring 2013 with our sights set on the AHS Sikorsky PrizeĒ so their next attempt shouldnít be too far away.

I think they have a better chance of success than the Atlas Team but I donít think theyíre as close as others seem to. Itís much easier to achieve things in separate flights than it is to put them altogether in one flight. Iím really interested to see the design of their ďcontrol systemĒ and how well it works. I didnít much like what the Atlas Team came up with and it seems to have created more problems than it solved.
Old 22nd February 2013, 04:28 PM   #289
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quarky View Post

Ynot?

Any advances in your game?
(All ears.)

quarky
Perhaps more of a step back/sideways than advance. My illness enforced break from building has given more time for thinking and reflecting. I still think the two person design Iíve explained earlier is the ďbestĒ design but perhaps not the best to build as a first attempt for a backyard inventor with limited resources. The frame is simple and easy and Iíve practically built it, but I would have to build at least twice the wing area as I would for a single pilot design. Given the wings will be the most complex and expensive things to build and get right Iíve changed (yet again) to a single pilot design with two counter-rotating wing-sets. The counter-rotation is achieved by pulling lines from spools on the centre-shafts of the wing-sets as shown in the pic below.

cr.jpg
Old 22nd February 2013, 04:56 PM   #290
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

another non-pedal prototype:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAD_e-tGpoM
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:05 PM   #291
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post

I linked to that clip earlier in the thread.

Some amusing attempts at HPH flight . . .

A prop powering wing attempt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRZ6u04Dno

Test bed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TGnPTZFseE

The things some people do in their bedroom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fkk17rtrSc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZPUsclllUs

Beats mowing the lawn I guess - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAD_e-tGpoM

Did anyone really think this would actually fly? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiMWzebn-DM

Wonder if I will have to add my attempt to this ďamusingĒ list?

Hope that attempt isnít used as an example of pedalling being the best method.

Last edited by ynot; 22nd February 2013 at 05:16 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:30 AM   #292
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

When I was a small kid I had a toy car that was powered by a similar method. Only thing was that only one leg was stretched out at any one time.
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 01:11 PM   #293
ynot
Philosopher

Team Gamera are resuming test flights tomorrow. No mention of their new flight control system but they have ďremoved 130 grams (over a quarter pound) in excess duct tape!Ē.
Old 25th February 2013, 01:14 PM   #294
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Team Gamera are resuming test flights tomorrow. No mention of their new flight control system but they have ďremoved 130 grams (over a quarter pound) in excess duct tape!Ē.
I don't guess we'll know that they were correct in determining that that duct tape was "excess" until after the test flight!
Old 25th February 2013, 05:43 PM   #295
quarky
Banned

It is somewhat mind-boggling how little these monster rigs weigh.
This is cutting-edge architecture and engineering.

Yet, compared to high-end bikes, the weight ratio of passenger to vehicle is un-impressive.
There are 10 pound bikes that can be ridden fast by 200 pound jocks.
That's pretty amazing.

Yet, they don't hover.

When this prize gets won, we should all rejoice in the accomplishment.
It's been a long time coming.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 11:52 AM   #296
ynot
Philosopher

Nothing on their website yet but on Twitter the Gamera Team say their new control system is working well - “Austin just had a smooth 38 sec ~2 ft flight using the new control system to stay in the box!” and - “Austin just flew a 4 ft 35 sec”. Can’t see from the few photos on Twitter exactly what their control system is.

Seems they’re about to have a go at the prize - “if everything goes well today Wednesday will be an attempt at the prize. Media has also been invited that day“.

https://twitter.com/UMD_Gamera

ETA - Seems to be all systems go - “Observer from AHS has arrived, observer from the NAA will arrive later to inspect the vehicle”.

Last edited by ynot; 26th February 2013 at 01:36 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 02:07 PM   #297
ynot
Philosopher

From this pic https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BECnYQ_CUAAZMNF.jpg:large it appear the control system is something under or behind the seat. There’s a level/handle for each hand with wires running down to the back of the seat. Given it seems to be electrical I hope they’re generating their own power and not using a battery (stored energy).

ETA - They just tried a “long duration flight” that had to be “called down for drift” after 40 seconds, so perhaps the new control system isn’t working so well. At least they don’t have a shortage of pilots. They started the day with Austin then Brandon and now Henry.

Last edited by ynot; 26th February 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:27 PM   #298
quarky
Banned

From this pic https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BECnYQ_CUAAZMNF.jpg:large it appear the control system is something under or behind the seat. Thereís a level/handle for each hand with wires running down to the back of the seat. Given it seems to be electrical I hope theyíre generating their own power and not using a battery (stored energy).

ETA - They just tried a ďlong duration flightĒ that had to be ďcalled down for driftĒ after 40 seconds, so perhaps the new control system isnít working so well. At least they donít have a shortage of pilots. They started the day with Austin then Brandon and now Henry.
Surely, this far into it, they wouldn't use stored energy.

Too bad Lance Armstrong can't be exploited and redeemed in this effort.
Old 26th February 2013, 05:10 PM   #299
ynot
Philosopher

Surely, this far into it, they wouldn't use stored energy.
I can't see any obvious charging equipment but Iím not sure that what Iíve mentioned is even part of the control system. It might just be some monitoring device that wonít be used during test flights.
Old 26th February 2013, 08:51 PM   #300
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

One simple method of control is to tip the whole machine into the direction you want it to go. Like if it is drifting left then the rider leads to the right and the craft moves to the right. The advantage of this method is that no extra machinery , read extra weight, is required.
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 09:06 PM   #301
quarky
Banned

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
One simple method of control is to tip the whole machine into the direction you want it to go. Like if it is drifting left then the rider leads to the right and the craft moves to the right. The advantage of this method is that no extra machinery , read extra weight, is required.
I suspect you're right.
Yet, that sort of skill comes with hours aloft; not a few seconds here and there.

Remember learning to ride a two-wheeled bike?

I wonder if the pilot could focus on the weight-shifting angle, if they used a motor for a bunch of test runs...until he got those chops down?
Old 27th February 2013, 11:41 AM   #302
ynot
Philosopher

The Gamera Team are going for the AHS prize today. A small piece of transmission “popped off before takeoff” and they're having lunch while the epoxy repair cures. They hope to be flying again in about half an hour.

Photo of repair - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEIEAIrCQAAjGVt.jpg:large

ETA - They're flying again and testing short trimming flights.

Photo - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEIcpaKCAAA-YK6.jpg:large

Last edited by ynot; 27th February 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:44 AM   #303
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

I linked to that clip earlier in the thread.
Sorry, I missed it. I can't view videos at work, and I rarely go back through and watch every video when I get home. I did watch quite a few and found that one as related when watching some of the more successful attempts.

Last edited by CynicalSkeptic; 27th February 2013 at 11:47 AM.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 11:53 AM   #304
ynot
Philosopher

Sorry, I missed it. I can't view videos at work, and I rarely go back through and watch every video when I get home. I did watch quite a few and found that one as related when watching some of the more successful attempts.
No worries. Thanks for contributing.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:14 PM   #305
quarky
Banned

The Gamera Team are going for the AHS prize today. A small piece of transmission ďpopped off before takeoffĒ and they're having lunch while the epoxy repair cures. They hope to be flying again in about half an hour.

Photo of repair - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEIEAIrCQAAjGVt.jpg:large

ETA - They're flying again and testing short trimming flights.

Photo - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEIcpaKCAAA-YK6.jpg:large
I'm curious:
Why would they go for a prize run before they knew they could do it?
Publicity?

I suppose there is no fine, of sorts, for failed attempts...

But can you imagine going for something like a weight-lifting competition, before you were sure that you could lift the weight?
Old 27th February 2013, 12:26 PM   #306
ynot
Philosopher

I'm curious:
Why would they go for a prize run before they knew they could do it?
Publicity?

I suppose there is no fine, of sorts, for failed attempts...

But can you imagine going for something like a weight-lifting competition, before you were sure that you could lift the weight?
I think Atlas = publicity for fundraising and Gamera = they think they might do it.
Old 27th February 2013, 01:06 PM   #307
ynot
Philosopher

They're about to fly a 4 ft test flight - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEIsrnZCUAEFUAI.jpg

Wish they would post some vids or have streaming vid.

Last edited by ynot; 27th February 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 27th February 2013, 03:12 PM   #308
ynot
Philosopher

Well they sure have a good stock of motors - Austin, Brandon, Henry, Colin, Duncan and now his twin bro Henry is having a go (could be the previous Henry).

Last flight was 5 ft 25 secs. Surely they must be getting close to a prize attempt flight. It's nearly 5:30pm their time.

Last edited by ynot; 27th February 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 27th February 2013, 04:33 PM   #309
ynot
Philosopher

Gamera Teamís latest Tweet - ďHenry topped out around 5-6 ft this time, we are breaking for dinner and planning next movesď.

No mention of their new control system and if drift is still a problem. Seems just getting required time and height in a single flight is a problem.
Old 27th February 2013, 06:30 PM   #310
ynot
Philosopher

Theyíve had dinner, made some adjustments and are trimming again. If nothing else they must have the world record for the most number of human powered flights in a day. Itís 8:30pm their time so I doubt they have time to win the prize today. Donít know if they will continue tomorrow and the AHS official will stay for another day.
Old 27th February 2013, 08:39 PM   #311
quarky
Banned

Do you think they are close?
Old 27th February 2013, 10:19 PM   #312
ynot
Philosopher

Do you think they are close?
Not from the information provided so far. Longest flight seems to have been 50 secs and 5' 6" highest flight with no mention of being able to stay within the 10 metre "box".

According to their last Tweet - "A few main structure members failed" that they are apparently going to repair through the night and try again tomorrow. Not sure if the AHS will still be present to make anything official.

Last edited by ynot; 27th February 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 28th February 2013, 11:55 AM   #313
ynot
Philosopher

The night shift has repaired the Gamera and it’s flying again. Not sure if they’re still going for the official prize or just conducting test flights now.

ETA - "Austin flew a 60 second low altitude controlled flight!" I guess that means their control system works (at least at low altitude). I still can't see what their control system is. Can anyone else?

Last edited by ynot; 28th February 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 28th February 2013, 12:55 PM   #314
ynot
Philosopher

I Tweeted Team Gamera and asked if theyíre still going for the prize today. Unlike Team Atlas they had the decency to reply - ďofficial prize if possible! But we are taking our time to ensure safety of everyone and the vehicleĒ.
Old 28th February 2013, 01:40 PM   #315
ynot
Philosopher

If I was designing the Gamera I would have the pilotís butt as close to the ground as possible to lower the centre of gravity. They could lower the weight of the pilot by 30-40cm. I think what they call ďdriftĒ is actually more imbalance. Ground effect helps with balance at low altitude but when they get up a metre or two they lose ground effect enhanced balance.

I also think the best strategy would be to hover close to the ground for the first 50 plus seconds then have a burst to try to get to the height required. It doesnít matter if they drift out of the 10 metre box after the time and height requirements have been achieved.
Old 28th February 2013, 03:58 PM   #316
quarky
Banned

I assume that the 3 meter height means that the lowest part of the craft must get that high?

If so, that alone could induce some design that otherwise didn't look logical.

I concur with your idea of the 50 seconds of relatively relaxed effort, followed by the burst.

OTOH, why not try to get the height requirement out of the way, at the onset...and then slack off for 50 seconds?
Old 28th February 2013, 04:15 PM   #317
ynot
Philosopher

I assume that the 3 meter height means that the lowest part of the craft must get that high?
You asked that same question earlier in this thread and the answer is still "yes".

If so, that alone could induce some design that otherwise didn't look logical.
At present the lowest part of the Gamera is a 30-40cm high block of styrene under the pilot's bum. I think the lowest part should be the bum.

I concur with your idea of the 50 seconds of relatively relaxed effort, followed by the burst.

OTOH, why not try to get the height requirement out of the way, at the onset...and then slack off for 50 seconds?
Because getting to the height requirement causes the craft to become unbalanced and drift (and possibly crash as it has). From recent Tweets they are still having "drifting" problems at height and have given up on the prize for now to extend their flight duration record past 65.1 seconds.

Last edited by ynot; 28th February 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 28th February 2013, 04:26 PM   #318
ynot
Philosopher

Does anyone know if any HPH has ever got off the ground without using ground effect? If not it seems a big ask to get to 3 metres purely by using the momentum of lift enhanced by ground effect.

ETA - The Upturn's wings are too high to gain any appreciable ground effect and they claim to have hovered for 10 seconds. I haven’t seen any proof of this however and remain sceptical.

Last edited by ynot; 28th February 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 28th February 2013, 04:34 PM   #319
ynot
Philosopher

Timeís running out for Team Gamera and itís their last day of testing so baring a miracle they wonít be winning the prize.

BUT WAIT! - ďDuncan completed his balancing flights and will go for height attempt nowĒ.
Old 28th February 2013, 04:39 PM   #320
quarky
Banned

You asked that same question earlier in this thread and the answer is still "yes".

At present the lowest part of the Gamera is a 30-40cm high block of styrene under the pilot's bum. I think the lowest part should be the bum.

Because getting to the height requirement causes the craft to become unbalanced and drift (and possibly crash as it has). From recent Tweets they are still having "drifting" problems at height and have given up on the prize for now to extend their flight duration record past 65.1 seconds.
Sorry about repeating myself. Memory sucks.

I agree, the bum should be the lowest part. In fact, perhaps the pilot should be in a prone position?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology