IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alabama incidents , Alabama issues , constitution issues , roy moore

Old 9th February 2015, 03:03 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Dear Roy: There was a war fought over this, 150 years ago. Your side lost. Get over it.
THis is the kind of thing that makes me think that the South could use another visit from General Sherman.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2015, 03:03 PM   #42
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So marraignes performed by a Rabbi or an Imam or a Buddhist Priest would be illegal in Alabama?
The people holding the signs would probably be amazed that it isn't.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2015, 03:33 PM   #43
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
That sign is written so badly that at first I read "Alabama for Croatian Marriage" and had no idea what to think.
The apparently want the state to require you to go to Croatia to get married would be my best guess - based on the crazy there.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2015, 03:34 PM   #44
fuelair
Banned

THis is the kind of thing that makes me think that the South could use another visit from General Sherman.
and his tanks!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2015, 04:17 PM   #45
progressquest
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
From the "slightly ironic"-category:
http://i.imgur.com/7QVppCh.jpg
Because it's evidently "okay" when Roy Moore puts a Supreme Court decision aside of his own volition and because of his religious belief, and when probate judges ignores judicial decisions due to "moral" or/aka religious objections.
You obviously have this wrong. These people are FOR gay marriage.

Look at the first sign:
You see, Cristian is a masculine name. Obviously, if it is a Cristian marriage, it must by two people named Cristian, so therefore a gay marriage.

Now look at the second:
It reads "No More Pro Christian Marriage, Activist Judges!" (the comma appears to be covered by the protester's hand).
Old 10th February 2015, 01:14 PM   #46
Biscuit
Philosopher

I wish anyone of these "cristian" marriage people could explain to me how they are in anyway affected by SSM.
Old 10th February 2015, 01:16 PM   #47
Cleon
King of the Pod People

So marraignes performed by a Rabbi or an Imam or a Buddhist Priest would be illegal in Alabama?
There's a sizeable chunk of Alabamans who would be perfectly happy to outlaw Imams entirely.
Old 10th February 2015, 01:22 PM   #48
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
There's a sizeable chunk of Alabamans who would be perfectly happy to outlaw Imams entirely.
Jews and Catholics too.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 02:16 PM   #49
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I wish anyone of these "cristian" marriage people could explain to me how they are in anyway affected by SSM.
Well duh. It causes the breakdown of society. I mean, look at the chaos in Massachusetts.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 02:28 PM   #50
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Well duh. It causes the breakdown of society. I mean, look at the chaos in Massachusetts.
All that snow is actually the frozen tears of jesus.
Old 10th February 2015, 02:32 PM   #51
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly the blizzards in New England are God's punishment for allowing SSMs years ago. Of course, god is kind of slow in unleashing these retributions. And indiscriminate (has the snow failed to fall on any particular churches?). But let this be a lesson to us all!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 09:09 PM   #52
fuelair
Banned

Roy Moore is still a jerk You left off the "off" there.

I have been given to understand from others acquainted with his ideas that he used to really like mixing cement with a pitchfork. Some say he's still doing it!!!]
Old 11th February 2015, 05:25 AM   #53
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
It's a reasoning in circles- if you allow gay marriage, then you have a broken society, "broken society" being defined as "one that allows gay marriage." They don't need any more than that.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2015, 10:08 AM   #54
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Roy Moore is still a jerk You left off the "off" there.
I'm surprised no one has pulled up this reference:

It's almost the only thing I can see as I scroll past this thread title.
Old 11th February 2015, 11:33 AM   #55
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
A main reason why judges should not be elected.
Another prime example would be Hissonor Gary Kreep of the San Diego Superior Court. Thankfully it appears that he has been banished to the small claims court...
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2015, 02:14 PM   #56
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get it. According to Elf Grinder, no Conservatives don't care about homosexuality.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2015, 02:47 PM   #57
Biscuit
Philosopher

I heard Moore making the slippery slope argument on TV earlier. He would be fine with SSM if only he thought it would stop there! You see pretty soon fathers will marry their daughters! blah blah blah....
Old 11th February 2015, 04:42 PM   #58
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Roy Moore goes' for the "I have gay friends" excuse/lie and also pretends this is about the Constitution and not his evil beliefs.

Quote:
Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore, an outspoken foe of gay marriage, said Tuesday that he's had plenty of gay friends.

"I've had many friends who are homosexual," Moore said during an interview with John Heilemann and Mark Halperin of Bloomberg Politics. "I've treated people just like other people. This is not about how I treat people, or how I go to a wedding or a marriage or anything. It's about the constitution of Alabama and the Constitution of the United States."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ma-gay-friends
Roy Moore is of course full of crap. He doesn't give a crap about the US Constitution, only about his evil belief system. If he cared about the US Constitution, he would recognize that it is federal courts not him that decide what it means - if federal courts decide that the bigoted beliefs enshrined in the Alabama Constitution are in conflict with the US Constitution, the Alabama Constitution loses.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2015, 04:46 PM   #59
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

I heard Moore making the slippery slope argument on TV earlier. He would be fine with SSM if only he thought it would stop there! You see pretty soon fathers will marry their daughters! blah blah blah....
To be fair, this is Alabama.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2015, 05:54 PM   #60
Tony Stark
Philosopher

In case any one needs any more evidence of how bad a person Roy Moore is.

Originally Posted by Roy Moore
To disfavor practicing homosexuals in custody matters is not invidious discrimination, nor is it legislating personal morality. On the contrary, disfavoring practicing homosexuals in custody matters promotes the general welfare of the people of our State in accordance with our law, which is the duty of its public servants...

The State carries the power of the sword, that is, the power to prohibit conduct with physical penalties, such as confinement and even execution. It must use that power to prevent the subversion of children toward this lifestyle, to not encourage a criminal lifestyle...

Homosexual behavior is a ground for divorce, an act of sexual misconduct punishable as a crime in Alabama, a crime against nature, an inherent evil, and an act so heinous that it defies one's ability to describe it. That is enough under the law to allow a court to consider such activity harmful to a child. To declare that homosexuality is harmful is not to make new law but to reaffirm the old; to say that it is not harmful is to experiment with people's lives, particularly the lives of children.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore#D.H._vs._H.H.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2015, 06:53 PM   #61
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

"We wersheep Jaysus heer, jyew boah!"
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2015, 07:07 PM   #62
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
It sounds just horrible! It is the end of civilization (I presume, given that people have had Gay sex for millions of years that I just haven't noticed yet).

Remind me again, though, what do Gay people do that Straight people don't? I can figure out the reverse, but I am having some trouble with this question as stated.
Old 11th February 2015, 07:12 PM   #63
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
It sounds just horrible! It is the end of civilization (I presume, given that people have had Gay sex for millions of years that I just haven't noticed yet).

Remind me again, though, what do Gay people do that Straight people don't? I can figure out the reverse, but I am having some trouble with this question as stated.
The real law of the land, the Bible (in the minds of Christofacists like Moore), says that homosexuality is an abomination.
Old 11th February 2015, 08:37 PM   #64
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

The real law of the land, the Bible (in the minds of Christofacists like Moore), says that homosexuality is an abomination.
Well, you can't get a higher recommendation than that!

Of course you have to be selective as to what part of the bible you wish to follow. Or what bible you wish to follow.
Old 11th February 2015, 08:41 PM   #65
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Of course you have to be selective as to what part of the bible you wish to follow.
Yep. That part where Jesus says to give all your money to the poor? That doesn't apply because reasons.
Old 12th February 2015, 09:06 AM   #66
Dissolution
Master Poster

After Moore was booted out of office, why was he still allowed to be elected back in?
That sounds utterly ridiculous, to me.

Defies court orders and says that he'll continue to do so, gets removed and then comes back anyway?
Dissolution is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2015, 09:09 AM   #67
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Dissolution View Post
After Moore was booted out of office, why was he still allowed to be elected back in?
That sounds utterly ridiculous, to me.

Defies court orders and says that he'll continue to do so, gets removed and then comes back anyway?
Getting removed from office doesn't disqualify him from being re-elected. This is true of most elective offices.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2015, 09:58 AM   #68
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Getting removed from office doesn't disqualify him from being re-elected. This is true of most elective offices.
Only goes to show dumb ass Republican's in leadership positions get there because of dumb ass Republican voters.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2015, 10:37 AM   #69
Dissolution
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Seems rather strange that it applies to court officials who break the rules of the court, though.
Dissolution is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2015, 10:53 AM   #70
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Yep. That part where Jesus says to give all your money to the poor? That doesn't apply because reasons.
I always enjoyed the re-mix of Robin Hood's creed: "I steal from the rich and give the money to the poor. Us poor."
Old 12th February 2015, 11:30 AM   #71
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Only male homosexuality, I think. Lesbians aren't mentioned. (Citation Needed)
Old 12th February 2015, 12:48 PM   #72
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's like watching an a live forum thread.

eta: Sorry, I should have said: It's an interview of Roy Moore by a CNN host.

Last edited by Upchurch; 12th February 2015 at 12:52 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2015, 12:51 PM   #73
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Amazing that so many people who claim to be strict consturctionists on the US Constitution seems to have problems understanding the first section of the First Amendment ....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2015, 12:54 PM   #74
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

People like Moore is a main reason why I think that liberals are mistaken in being anti private gun ownership.
I want to be able to shoot people like Moore if they actually attempt to enforce their beliefs.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th February 2015, 12:55 PM   #75
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Amazing that so many people who claim to be strict consturctionists on the US Constitution seems to have problems understanding the first section of the First Amendment ....
We're talking about a group of people who voted overwhelmingly for an amendment that bans basing Alabama law on any "foreign religion," without taking the time to think of where the Bible was written.

Cognitive dissonance is not the exception, here. :P
Old 12th February 2015, 12:58 PM   #76
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I'm surprised no one has pulled up this reference:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...b8c5c87665.jpg

It's almost the only thing I can see as I scroll past this thread title.
My all time favorite response i to Moore's comrades in arms,the Westboro Baptist Church, was when they picketed Comic Con;the counterdemonstartion the next day had a huge sing " God Hates Sentinels".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th February 2015, 12:59 PM   #77
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We're talking about a group of people who voted overwhelmingly for an amendment that bans basing Alabama law on any "foreign religion," without taking the time to think of where the Bible was written.

You know, at times I think that maybe letting the deep South go their own way back in 1861 might have been a good idea.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th February 2015, 01:05 PM   #78
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

So they love the Book of Mormon, is that so wrong? The actual book not the play.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2015, 01:06 PM   #79
One Skunk Todd
Critical Thinker

Remind me again, though, what do Gay people do that Straight people don't?
Not go to Walmart?
One Skunk Todd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2015, 01:09 PM   #80
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
Not go to Walmart?
At first I thought that you got me. But in thinking about it, maybe they buy closet accessories in Walmart.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics