ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 24th October 2017, 12:47 AM   #41
BadBoy
Graduate Poster
 
BadBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,374
Well, now we will find out the real truth behind 911! After all, it is all connected. (Illuminati!!!)
__________________
Go sell crazy someplace else we're all stocked up here
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 01:38 AM   #42
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 13,775
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
A competent president would have ordered an expert review of the documents, upon entering office. Today she would be making an informed decision to release them.
But I thought that Hillary Clinton was the rival for POTUS.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 02:11 PM   #43
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6,546
Some speculate that the files could show a connection between Oswald and Cuba and/or the USSR.
Assuming there is (however weak) evidence that Oswald got support from Moscow, could this affect the current pro-Russia sentiments amongst the Trump supporters?
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isn’t.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 02:17 PM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,969
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
But I thought that Hillary Clinton was the rival for POTUS.
I don't understand your comment.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 02:19 PM   #45
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 46,994
So, JFK.....still dead? I guess we'll know otherwise if he surfaces in order to launch a lawsuit over these papers.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 02:31 PM   #46
Scootch
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Finally, the world will learn the startling truth: that JFK was assassinated! I don't know if we can recover from the shock after having believed the suicide theory for so long.
SPOILER ALERT! Come on TragicMonkey, I am still at the PT109 part of JFK!
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 02:56 PM   #47
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 19,576
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Some speculate that the files could show a connection between Oswald and Cuba and/or the USSR.
Assuming there is (however weak) evidence that Oswald got support from Moscow, could this affect the current pro-Russia sentiments amongst the Trump supporters?
Not at all. JFK was a filthy Catholic commie, unlike the fine Christin Vlad Putin.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 04:46 PM   #48
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,129
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...153548337.html

Washington (AFP) - US President Donald Trump said Saturday he will allow long blocked secret files on the assassination of John F Kennedy to be opened to the public for the first time.
Please tell us, in your own emojis, how you feel about this.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 08:34 PM   #49
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,990
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
A competent president would have ordered an expert review of the documents, upon entering office. Today she would be making an informed decision to release them. Trump's just being an ass.
A whole ass indeed!!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 08:45 PM   #50
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,990
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's stupid. Trump has been no idea what's in those documents. Why would he; they're not about him.

We should probably wait for a real president to carry out the spirit of the law in a responsible way.
They should have been released long ago - just like the papers Seward (IIRC) burned after Lincoln's murder.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 09:08 PM   #51
Toontown
Philosopher
 
Toontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,444
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
He doesn't have to, the work has already been done over the past 25 years:

https://www.archives.gov/research/jf...essing-project

Word is that CIA and FBI have been whining about this release hoping to stop it for a few more years, and they can petition Trump to stop it.

I doubt he will. We'll know on Thursday.
He won't block the release, and the reason why is in your post.

It's a chance to strike a blow against the hated, despised, and feared intelligence agencies and FBI.
__________________
"I did not say that!" - Donald Trump

Last edited by Toontown; 24th October 2017 at 09:10 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 09:30 PM   #52
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 13,775
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't understand your comment.
You implied that Hillary Clinton would have been a competent president. (If that wasn't your intention then I don't know any other females that have had a shot at the presidency).
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975

Last edited by psionl0; 24th October 2017 at 09:31 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 10:53 AM   #53
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Moderator
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12,684
Mod Warning Some overly personalised posts have been sent to the Place That All Posts Fear. If I'd got to this report in a more timely manner, there might have been pretty yellow decorations on one or more of them. So play nice, please.
Posted By:Agatha
__________________
Why can't you be more like Agatha? - Loss Leader
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 10:58 AM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,969
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
You implied that Hillary Clinton would have been a competent president. (If that wasn't your intention then I don't know any other females that have had a shot at the presidency).
You inferred. I was just being diverse in my use of gendered pronouns. I understand that progressives tend to appreciate such gestures.

Last edited by theprestige; 29th October 2017 at 11:00 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 12:31 PM   #55
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,990
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...153548337.html


Washington (AFP) - US President Donald Trump said Saturday he will allow long blocked secret files on the assassination of John F Kennedy to be opened to the public for the first time.
As usual, he lied - very few of the ones supposed to be released a day or two ago actually were - making it even more likely there is some kind of cover up of some kind of error/malfeasance/related. It's how trumpf the liar works. Still!!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 12:35 PM   #56
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,990
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Reports indicate that some documents might give away tradecraft and other secrets about US intelligence-gathering capabilities.
No release of tradecraft from the early sixties should have any reason to be secured now. After 54 years no tradecraft used then should still rationally
be in use.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 12:38 PM   #57
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,990
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I confess that I don't know whether he's required to release them or not. I'm not clear on the relevant laws.

But so what? Maybe he did so with the ability to restrict the documents. Okay, so I have nothing at all negative to say about his choice in this regard, pending some sort of negative effects that I haven't seen.

Trump is the worst son of a bitch ever to serve as president in my lifetime. That doesn't mean that everything he ever does is bad.
Problem is there is no way to tell.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 12:43 PM   #58
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,990
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Only way to show that Cruz killed JFK.
With the candlestick in the powder room!!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 01:50 PM   #59
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,493
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Trump is the worst son of a bitch ever to serve as president in my lifetime. That doesn't mean that everything he ever does is bad.
This is important. In my current living situation I sometimes can't escape hearing Fox News. My very (establishment-oriented) Republican mom watches, yet she still doesn't really like Trump. She asks me what I think and I say he's a pig, or an ******* depending on the issue, but *that doesn't mean he's always wrong*.

Being a complete neophyte in the JFK documents arena, I can't tell for sure what Trump's discretion was in releasing these records. I thought he had to do it, under a law mandating eventual release. I also wouldn't know what was/is missing if it comes to that. If there's a smoking gun other than Oswald's it's news to me. Except for Jack Ruby's, that is. And though I've always found it plausible that Oswald acted alone, that sequence of events seems kind of fishy.

Has anyone ever floated similar theories about the assassination of RFK? Today we'd probably call that terrorism, but at the time, you could be Middle Eastern and commit a crime without it being part of a holy war, just possible anger over a territorial dispute. Anyway, I'd love to see someone boil down the points of the supposed JFK conspiracy. I've never had the patience to go through things myself. Is there a good summary of the issues anyone can recommend?

Last edited by Minoosh; 29th October 2017 at 01:54 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 03:55 PM   #60
Pope130
Master Poster
 
Pope130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,839
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Anyway, I'd love to see someone boil down the points of the supposed JFK conspiracy. I've never had the patience to go through things myself. Is there a good summary of the issues anyone can recommend?
Very briefly, to avoid derailing the discussion.
Most JFK CTs hold that some powerful person or group decided to remove the President, and employed professional killers to do so. In most of those theories Oswald was deliberately set up as a patsy.

An astonishing variety of people have been accused, including: The Mafia, Big Steel, the aircraft industry, the CIA, the FBI, the DIA, the NSA, Castro, Anti-Castro Cubans, the Vatican, Hearst, the British, the IRA, Northern Irish Protestants, the French, French drug dealers, Diem's family, the KKK, Venezuelans, Guatemalans, LBJ, the Defense Department and Joe DiMaggio. I'm sure I have missed more than I remembered.

CTs are supported by the assertion that any evidence which does not support their theory is faked, and the real evidence suppressed.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 04:01 PM   #61
332nd
Penultimate Amazing
 
332nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,272
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Anyway, I'd love to see someone boil down the points of the supposed JFK conspiracy. I've never had the patience to go through things myself. Is there a good summary of the issues anyone can recommend?
... Red Dwarf. Series 7 ep. 1. Tikka to Ride.... I think that's the best one because like Lister says, "it'll drive the conspiracy theorists crazy".
__________________
The poster formerly known as Redtail
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 04:09 PM   #62
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,995
Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Very briefly, to avoid derailing the discussion.
Most JFK CTs hold that some powerful person or group decided to remove the President, and employed professional killers to do so. In most of those theories Oswald was deliberately set up as a patsy.

An astonishing variety of people have been accused, including: The Mafia, Big Steel, the aircraft industry, the CIA, the FBI, the DIA, the NSA, Castro, Anti-Castro Cubans, the Vatican, Hearst, the British, the IRA, Northern Irish Protestants, the French, French drug dealers, Diem's family, the KKK, Venezuelans, Guatemalans, LBJ, the Defense Department and Joe DiMaggio. I'm sure I have missed more than I remembered.

CTs are supported by the assertion that any evidence which does not support their theory is faked, and the real evidence suppressed.
Don't forget Woody Harrelson's father. Really.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 05:41 PM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,969
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
No release of tradecraft from the early sixties should have any reason to be secured now. After 54 years no tradecraft used then should still rationally
be in use.
Evidence?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 07:14 PM   #64
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,990
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Evidence?
If it is 54 years old it is far too well known to still be in use. No evidence needed - simple logic.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 07:16 PM   #65
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,369
Is Rafael Cruz still a free man?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 08:35 PM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,969
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
If it is 54 years old it is far too well known to still be in use. No evidence needed - simple logic.
Evidence? Seriously: What evidence do you have for your alleged half-life of tradecraft?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 10:34 PM   #67
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,493
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
You forgot the type the last four letters in that last line!!!!!!

He is well known to be the complete word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I use the 7 asterisks as a major clue

ETA: Though in recent days I have been calling him a pig as well.

Last edited by Minoosh; 29th October 2017 at 10:36 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 04:14 AM   #68
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16,299
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Evidence? Seriously: What evidence do you have for your alleged half-life of tradecraft?
Fuelair made a judgement call, can't you see? Not the sort of thing that requires evidence. It suffices to note that, obviously, the world has changed, agent work methods progressed quite a bit in the course of 54 years.
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 05:24 AM   #69
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006
 
Spindrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Right here!
Posts: 19,246
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
If it is 54 years old it is far too well known to still be in use. No evidence needed - simple logic.
Perhaps something is 54 years old and still secret? Because you know, they've prevented it from becoming public.
__________________
I've always believed that cluelessness evolved as an adaptation to allow the truly appalling to live with themselves. - G. B. Trudeau
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Kay, Men in Black.
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 11:30 AM   #70
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 19,576
Didn't Trump say something about the only redactions being the names of living persons, or something like that?
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 11:31 AM   #71
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006
 
Spindrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Right here!
Posts: 19,246
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Didn't Trump say something about the only redactions being the names of living persons, or something like that?
What does what Trump said ever have to do with reality?
__________________
I've always believed that cluelessness evolved as an adaptation to allow the truly appalling to live with themselves. - G. B. Trudeau
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Kay, Men in Black.
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 12:28 PM   #72
Imhotep
Muse
 
Imhotep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 954
Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Perhaps something is 54 years old and still secret? Because you know, they've prevented it from becoming public.
Information related to the U.S. wiretapping of the Cuban Embassy in Mexico City was one of the main categories of information being withheld for reasons of protecting tradecraft. There was also some evidence of shenanigans related to regularly impersonating callers to try to lure other foreign agents and assets into making mistakes. There are some indications though that KGB knew exactly and completely what CIA et al were up to, even at the time.

Your point is valid that there can be tradecraft protected even over 50 years, and it can not be assumed to be harmless, it might be part of a complex chain of evidence that fills in a missing piece. But I think in this case we can unfortunately chalk up the fact that this stuff was still withheld because of just plain embarrassment. The U.S. still doesn't want to admit that we were owned by Russia for decades and were always playing catchup as far as intelligence services.

Last edited by Imhotep; 30th October 2017 at 12:30 PM.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 06:20 PM   #73
mgidm86
Illuminator
 
mgidm86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,976
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Please tell us, in your own emojis, how you feel about this.
?

__________________
Franklin understands certain kickbacks you obtain unfairly are legal liabilities; however, a risky deed's almost never detrimental despite extra external pressures.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.