IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th May 2019, 06:47 AM   #1
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Black Woman Arrested For White Woman's Crime

A WHITE WOMAN WAS CAUGHT ON TAPE SELLING HEROIN, BUT POLICE ARRESTED A BLACK WOMAN INSTEAD

Excerpt:
Quote:
On May 30, 2017, Jada Noone was arrested and transported to Luzerne County Jail in Pennsylvania.

She spent the next 15 days there before being released and another year facing criminal charges of felony possession with intent to deliver stemming from the arrest by State Trooper Scott Hawley.

In an affidavit of probable cause, Hawley wrote that on May 23, 2016, Pennsylvania State Police set up a heroin buy with Noone’s then-boyfriend Akee Miller. An undercover trooper went to meet with Miller in Wilkes-Barre to purchase the drugs, but Miller sent a woman to conduct the transaction. A white woman was captured on a hidden camera delivering drugs to the trooper. Hawley said he positively identified the woman as Noone.

But there was a significant problem with the case: Noone is Black.

And it just gets more absurd from there. The mental gyrations that the DA's office goes through to justify prosecuting Noone for the woman's crime, the numerous other differences between the women other than race, and the fact that the DA's office still refuses to arrest the woman in the video despite claiming to know her identity is beyond bizarre. They even insisted that Noone prove that she's black. There are pictures of Noone in the article, next to pictures of the woman in the video that the police insist is her. There are no words for how utterly absurd the comparison is.

The racism on display here is off the charts, yet the state government is doing nothing about it. There's a civil rights lawsuit in the works, we'll see how that goes.

Cue the usual suspects showing up to "explain" to us how this isn't racism, and that the police officers and DA are the real victims here.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.

Last edited by luchog; 7th May 2019 at 06:49 AM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:04 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
They even insisted that Noone prove that she's black.
Police: "Prove to us you are black!"
Noone: "Well I'm being arrested for something I obviously didn't do."
Police: *Beat* "Touche. Well played M'am."
Old 7th May 2019, 08:22 AM   #3
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how much of this can be attributed to DA's just going for a "win" rather than serving justice. Realistically, the DA has a lot of power and most convictions are the result of negotiated plea bargain. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought they could just turn the screws on this lady and eek out a plea of some sort, never having to admit a screw-up. They were sitting on video which completely exonerated the accused, but didn't have to turn it over until later on down the road, and that may never even happen if a plea occurs early. This lady happened to be willing to fight to the bitter end, but many others may have just taken a plea just to move on with life, especially in cases where bail is too expensive and the accused is just sitting in prison waiting for trial.
Old 7th May 2019, 08:26 AM   #4
DragonLady
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I wonder how much of this can be attributed to DA's just going for a "win" rather than serving justice. Realistically, the DA has a lot of power and most convictions are the result of negotiated plea bargain. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought they could just turn the screws on this lady and eek out a plea of some sort, never having to admit a screw-up. They were sitting on video which completely exonerated the accused, but didn't have to turn it over until later on down the road, and that may never even happen if a plea occurs early. This lady happened to be willing to fight to the bitter end, but many others may have just taken a plea just to move on with life, especially in cases where bail is too expensive and the accused is just sitting in prison waiting for trial.

That's a horrific idea, but sounds far too plausible to me. If you're right, I wonder how many other people have suffered similarly? Would there even be any way to find out for certain? Will this be taken seriously enough to be investigated?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:34 AM   #5
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
That's a horrific idea, but sounds far too plausible to me. If you're right, I wonder how many other people have suffered similarly? Would there even be any way to find out for certain? Will this be taken seriously enough to be investigated?
This particular case may be particularly abhorrent, but I imagine less severe gamesmanship is occurring all the time.

Trial by jury is not the norm in this country. The vast majority of criminal cases are concluded with guilty pleas. Poor people who can't afford bail have a strong incentive to plead guilty, regardless of the strength of the case against them. Someone on pre-trial detention could easily spend more time in jail fighting the case then they would ever be sentenced as part of a conviction, so "winning" a case is still comes with tremendous personal costs largely indistinguishable with being punished as part of a guilty conviction.

From a purely rational point of view, there are plenty of reasons an innocent person would plead guilty. The system is broken.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 7th May 2019 at 08:36 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:37 AM   #6
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yep. Happens.

Reminds me of Dymond Milburn, who police mistook for three white prostitutes, beat her as she yelled for help, arrested her, and charged with assaulting an officer.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:45 AM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. Cops put a lot of effort into undercover busts, and don't toss them out the window over some schmuck randomly wanting to be racist. They likely made a bad ID that would have screwed their case, and are trying to keep it together to get the bust.

That said, they really needed to knock it off when another woman's rights were being clearly violated. The most racist angle here seems to be the 5-0 not being that worried that a black woman was getting the screws. If it were a white suburban mommy, I have to think they would have eaten humble pie post haste.
Old 7th May 2019, 08:57 AM   #8
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Forget it Jake, it’s Pennsyltucky.
Old 7th May 2019, 08:57 AM   #9
DragonLady
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Yep. Happens.

Reminds me of Dymond Milburn, who police mistook for three white prostitutes, beat her as she yelled for help, arrested her, and charged with assaulting an officer.
I have no words.

How do we clean up this mess? How do we fix the system so this stops happening?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:00 AM   #10
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Of course just business as usual really. This is just how our justice system is designed to work.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:01 AM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

What is to investigate? this is just how the business of the prosecutor is done.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:03 AM   #12
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I have no words.

How do we clean up this mess? How do we fix the system so this stops happening?
Get more people to think there is a real problem with this kind of behavior, but that would require them admitting to systematic racism so it is a long shot at best.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:04 AM   #13
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Forget it Jake, it’s Pennsyltucky.
Philly in the East, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in between.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:08 AM   #14
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Philly in the East, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in between.
Come on it isn't like this is some kind of special out there case, this happens everywhere all over the country.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:12 AM   #15
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Cops put a lot of effort into undercover busts, and don't toss them out the window over some schmuck randomly wanting to be racist. They likely made a bad ID that would have screwed their case, and are trying to keep it together to get the bust.
That's a strange way of putting it. They didn't make an arrest of a criminal that's now likely to be thrown out on a technicality; they're actively trying to convict someone whom they know not to be the individual they were trying to arrest. That seems to suggest a mindset where simply putting random people in jail for the minimum amount of effort is seen as the aim of the job.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:15 AM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
That's a strange way of putting it. They didn't make an arrest of a criminal that's now likely to be thrown out on a technicality; they're actively trying to convict someone whom they know not to be the individual they were trying to arrest. That seems to suggest a mindset where simply putting random people in jail for the minimum amount of effort is seen as the aim of the job.

Dave
Why? she was likely the one they were trying to arrest, after all it was her boyfriend who was the head dealer. So getting her lined up to testify against him in exchange for reduced sentence seems a totally reasonable course of action. Why should the minor detail of her not being the one to deliver the drugs be that big a handicap to the whole process?

You need to do a better job at putting yourself in the cop/prosecutor mindset.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:19 AM   #17
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Dave
Not far off. IME, as an USAian, many cops want to get a bad guy. Not the bad guy...just a bad guy. I've been at the receiving end of this attitude enough times to feel pretty confident that this is often the case.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:21 AM   #18
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Come on it isn't like this is some kind of special out there case, this happens everywhere all over the country.
That's true. I don't think the racism is always front end, but tail end tramping on POC's rights are indisputable.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:23 AM   #19
Whip
Graduate Poster

perhaps she was in whiteface
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:23 AM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not far off. IME, as an USAian, many cops want to get a bad guy. Not the bad guy...just a bad guy. I've been at the receiving end of this attitude enough times to feel pretty confident that this is often the case.
Hey they might have wanted to her her at the time boyfriend who was the head dealer. Why should their careful plans be thrown out just because some other woman delivered the drugs?
Old 7th May 2019, 09:40 AM   #21
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I suspect that in coming years that if places like Alabama and Mississippi were to reform into bastions of racial tolerance, the non-urban parts of PA will still be pulling stunts like this.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:38 AM   #22
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

They likely made a bad ID that would have screwed their case, and are trying to keep it together to get the bust.

If you read the article and look at the pictures in it, there's no way that this was something as simple as a bad ID. There is practically no similarity between the woman in the video and Noone aside from the fact that they're both human and female.

Worse, if you read the DA's actual justifications for pursuing Noone, they veer well into unbelievable territory. If a fictional character acted like he is, it would immediately be dismissed as an over-the-top caricature and the writer chastised for such a ludicrously unrealistic portrayal.

I'm convinced no one involved actually cared whether Noone was right person or not, but picked her up solely because she was the dealer's girlfriend at the time, and because she was black. Per the article, they still have not arrested the white woman in the video, despite asserting that they know her identity.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.

Last edited by luchog; 7th May 2019 at 10:40 AM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 10:44 AM   #23
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

If you read the article and look at the pictures in it, there's no way that this was something as simple as a bad ID. There is practically no similarity between the woman in the video and Noone aside from the fact that they're both human and female.

Worse, if you read the DA's actual justifications for pursuing Noone, they veer well into unbelievable territory. If a fictional character acted like he is, it would immediately be dismissed as an over-the-top caricature and the writer chastised for such a ludicrously unrealistic portrayal.
While they're by no means dead ringers, they are not all that far off in the pics. But I think the bust seems to be focused on the dealer, not the bag man. The bad ID I suspect was due to the undercovers not caring much who was carrying the heroin, and the unexpected switch may have caught them off guard, resulting in the bad collar due to sloppy procedure.

At that point, it's typical police not wanting to lose or be wrong. I'm very confident that treating her like a second class citizen afterwards is irredeemable, though. You just can't do that, ever.

eta: your edit. Agreed, a dealers girlfriend is not someone who they likely cared if they were violating the human rights of. But that's tough, because it's their job. Regarding the white bag woman, they know who she is but can't find her, I thought?

Last edited by Thermal; 7th May 2019 at 10:47 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 11:27 AM   #24
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I suspect that in coming years that if places like Alabama and Mississippi were to reform into bastions of racial tolerance, the non-urban parts of PA will still be pulling stunts like this.
Where are your hypothetical bastions of racial tolerance that this doesn't happen in? You think this doesn't happen in Philly or Pittsburgh?
Old 7th May 2019, 11:29 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

While they're by no means dead ringers, they are not all that far off in the pics. But I think the bust seems to be focused on the dealer, not the bag man. The bad ID I suspect was due to the undercovers not caring much who was carrying the heroin, and the unexpected switch may have caught them off guard, resulting in the bad collar due to sloppy procedure.

At that point, it's typical police not wanting to lose or be wrong. I'm very confident that treating her like a second class citizen afterwards is irredeemable, though. You just can't do that, ever.
Come on trivial crap like this never has consequences to the police of prosecutors. The city may have a payout but nothing that will impact the people who did it.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:53 AM   #26
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Where are your hypothetical bastions of racial tolerance that this doesn't happen in? You think this doesn't happen in Philly or Pittsburgh?
I never said such a thing. I'm merely commenting that ingrained police racism will be a staple in rural PA even if the rest of the US manages to rise above it in the future.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:56 AM   #27
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I never said such a thing. I'm merely commenting that ingrained police racism will be a staple in rural PA even if the rest of the US manages to rise above it in the future.
I will wait for anywhere to rise above it first.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:00 PM   #28
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I will wait for anywhere to rise above it first.
Not my point.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:19 PM   #29
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

The future is looking to be more, not less, racist.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 01:36 PM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Chrissakes, even putting aside the difference in skin colour, they don't look anything alike. Their face shapes are completely different.

The white woman is very round-faced with a near double chin and a slightly Roman nose, while Noone is fine featured, with a pointy chin and her nose is distincty "Carey Mulligan"

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 01:52 PM   #31
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I can never understand these cases where the police are obviously wrong, but they hang on like a leech and refuse to admit they are wrong.

Why not just admit you've got the wrong person right away?

The longer you persist, the bigger the payout will be for the victim.

Lawyers are lining up.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 02:06 PM   #32
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I think the problem is, at least in part, due to an excessively loose definition of the term "bad guy" in the above; it seems to include "anyone who knows a bad guy," "anyone who looks a bit black like a bad guy," or "anyone roughly in the vicinity of the place we expected to find a bad guy."

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 02:11 PM   #33
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I can never understand these cases where the police are obviously wrong, but they hang on like a leech and refuse to admit they are wrong.

Why not just admit you've got the wrong person right away?

The longer you persist, the bigger the payout will be for the victim.

Lawyers are lining up.
Because this is where it gets scary.

Think of how many times this has to work in their favor, for this sort of risk to be worth taking.
Old 7th May 2019, 02:13 PM   #34
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I think the problem is, at least in part, due to an excessively loose definition of the term "bad guy" in the above; it seems to include "anyone who knows a bad guy," "anyone who looks a bit black like a bad guy," or "anyone roughly in the vicinity of the place we expected to find a bad guy."

Dave
Congratulations! You have passed the American Citizenship test!

Eta: you, uh, are white, right?

Last edited by Thermal; 7th May 2019 at 02:15 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 02:47 PM   #35
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm convinced no one involved actually cared whether Noone was right person or not, but picked her up solely because she was the dealer's girlfriend at the time, and because she was black. Per the article, they still have not arrested the white woman in the video, despite asserting that they know her identity.
I think this is what happened also.

The boyfriend got 2 years in jail and half a dozen years probation, but it took more than a year to finally drop the charges against Noone and the cops have yet to charge the right woman even though they know who she is.
Quote:
On June 11, 2018, the local district attorney’s office dropped the charges.

“The worst part about all of this is that Trooper Hawley had the video for a full year before Jada was even arrested,” Theron Solomon, who represented Noone at the end of her criminal case and filed a federal civil rights lawsuit on Noone’s behalf against Hawley, told The Appeal.
At least there will be some consequences.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 02:49 PM   #36
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You don't have to look far or wide to see the "It's okay, they were probably guilty of something" excuse for stuff like this, ironically enough often from the miscarriage of justice crowd and their magical ability to determine guilt from innocence.
Old 7th May 2019, 05:42 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Speculation: The cops arrested Noone because the expected she would deliver the drugs. They didn't arrest the white actual deliverer because she's one of their informants.
Old 8th May 2019, 04:02 AM   #38
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Why? she was likely the one they were trying to arrest, after all it was her boyfriend who was the head dealer. So getting her lined up to testify against him in exchange for reduced sentence seems a totally reasonable course of action. Why should the minor detail of her not being the one to deliver the drugs be that big a handicap to the whole process?

You need to do a better job at putting yourself in the cop/prosecutor mindset.
I think you need to appreciate that pulling a stunt like this in other countries would bring a whole heap of crap down on the police/prosecutors attempting anything like this. Using an actual lesser crime by a "minor" criminal to get them to testify against a "major" criminal certainly happens, but trying to fabricate the initial lesser crime just wouldn't work.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 8th May 2019 at 04:04 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 04:05 AM   #39
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Hey they might have wanted to her her at the time boyfriend who was the head dealer. Why should their careful plans be thrown out just because some other woman delivered the drugs?
So why not arrest and lean on the other woman instead? Thinking they can still go ahead with Plan A when Plan B gets imposed on them is just dumb.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 04:07 AM   #40
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

While they're by no means dead ringers, they are not all that far off in the pics.
Oh. My. Word.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events