ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 10:52 AM   #881
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 48,226
ANd he took time to attack Biden in his news conference today.
God, I hate this man.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 10:52 AM   #882
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 10,844
A short guide to the collapse of the economy:
Quote:
To understand why the world economy is in grave peril because of the spread of coronavirus, it helps to grasp one idea that is at once blindingly obvious and sneakily profound.

One person’s spending is another person’s income. That, in a single sentence, is what the $87 trillion global economy is.

That relationship, between spending and income, consumption and production, is at the core of how a capitalist economy works. It is the basis of a perpetual motion machine. We buy the things we want and need, and in exchange give money to the people who produced those things, who in turn use that money to buy the things they want and need, and so on, forever.

What is so deeply worrying about the potential economic ripple effects of the virus is that it requires this perpetual motion machine to come to a near-complete stop across large chunks of the economy, for an indeterminate period of time.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/u...and-shock.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 10:56 AM   #883
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,035
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Troi beating Data at Chess because "Chess isn't just a game of logic, but of feeling and intuition" AS IF THAT MAKES ANY GODDAMN SENSE.
That's the real reason why he stabbed her in a later episode.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:03 AM   #884
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,106
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Somehow over the past few decades people in general have been encouraged to assign equal validity to their own ideas versus those of the experts. In part it is a total misunderstanding of the Appeal To Authority fallacy. A to A states that an authority's opinion in one area does not make them an authority in another. It does not state that the views of an authority in their own area are no better than those of a non-authority.
I don't remember whether it was on this forum or not, but I saw a 9/11 Truther confronted with an opinion, counter to his own, from someone who had experience with and education in the subject in question (where he himself admittedly did not); he handwaved it away with a blithe "appeal to authority fallacy." But there is such a thing as a proper appeal to authority- it's no fallacy at all when the appeal is to an authority backed by relevant expertise; it's more accurately called "a cite" in this case.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:06 AM   #885
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 12,064
Trump is now calling himself a Wartime President - which actually isn't that far off the mark.

This crisis might very well be the thing that gets him a second term, even though his administration is largely to blame for the lack of preparedness.
__________________
ETTD
Everything Trump Touches Dies
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:08 AM   #886
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,662
That's why science doesn't have authorities, only experts.

"When we are discussing things, certain opinions have to be excluded. That is what it means to have an area of expertise." - Sam Harris

But again a half-way, poor man's understand of logical fallacies that a they learn only enough to badly apply them wrongly is another thing we need to fix.

It's like stupid people have had why they are wrong explained them so many times without getting that they think logical fallacies are just words you say when you disagree with someone.

See the defacto definition of strawman now being "You made my argument look bad."
__________________
- I don't know how to tell you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:11 AM   #887
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 28,116
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I don't remember whether it was on this forum or not, but I saw a 9/11 Truther confronted with an opinion, counter to his own, from someone who had experience with and education in the subject in question (where he himself admittedly did not); he handwaved it away with a blithe "appeal to authority fallacy." But there is such a thing as a proper appeal to authority- it's no fallacy at all when the appeal is to an authority backed by relevant expertise; it's more accurately called "a cite" in this case.

The really annoying thing was, a lot of them would quite happily commit a real Appeal to Authority fallacy when it was in their interests. "Listen to this guy, he was a cop!", and then you realize he's just spewing the same BS, and nothing in it is in any way relevant to his being a cop.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:16 AM   #888
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,106
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is now calling himself a Wartime President - which actually isn't that far off the mark.

This crisis might very well be the thing that gets him a second term, even though his administration is largely to blame for the lack of preparedness.
I was just thinking that that will be how he will exploit this Covid crisis- not so much the overt "cancelling elections" or anything like that, but the more insidious use of faux-patriotic language like "we're at war with an invisible enemy! (But it's really Chinese!) You need to patriotically stay the course with your Commander-in-Chief against this (Chinese!) enemy! Gobless Amurrica! (It's from China!)"
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:21 AM   #889
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,857
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I don't remember whether it was on this forum or not, but I saw a 9/11 Truther confronted with an opinion, counter to his own, from someone who had experience with and education in the subject in question (where he himself admittedly did not); he handwaved it away with a blithe "appeal to authority fallacy." But there is such a thing as a proper appeal to authority- it's no fallacy at all when the appeal is to an authority backed by relevant expertise; it's more accurately called "a cite" in this case.
When I cited the professional judgment of one of, if not the, leading DNA experts in the world on the credibility of crucial DNA evidence in a case, not only did the other poster claim an Appeal to Authority, but insisted that expert was a "paid shill". In fact, every single bonafide expert that disagreed with this poster was labeled a "shill" or "bent". Thus is the ability of people to hand wave away that which they do not want to accept.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:30 AM   #890
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 19,111
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump thinks he is Maverick in Top Gun. "You don't think. If you think up there, you're dead." Worse than that he's Troi beating Data at Chess because "Chess isn't just a game of logic, but of feeling and intuition" AS IF THAT MAKES ANY GODDAMN SENSE.
You know, if Troi used her empathic powers to defeat another person, it could make sense. Chess depends on predicting what move your opponent is going to make, so if you can get that empathically, you have a huge advantage.

But how does that work with Data?
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:33 AM   #891
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,035
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is now calling himself a Wartime President - which actually isn't that far off the mark.
I agree, he's accurate up to the first four letters. Our Wart President! Long may we remember him! When he's gone.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:37 AM   #892
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,247
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A short guide to the collapse of the economy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/u...and-shock.html
Pretty obvious, no?
It also serves as the fundamental reason that Conservatives are in denial about global warming.
Without a tremendous amount of waste- the entire system collapses. The only way to deal with it is to fundamentally restructure the system itself.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:48 AM   #893
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26,342
Trump Tweets

I will totally protect your Medicare & Social Security!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:50 AM   #894
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26,342
Trump Tweets

The DNC will have gotten their fondest wish and defeated Bernie Sanders, far ahead of schedule. Now they are doing everything possible to be nice to him in order to keep his supporters. Bernie has given up, just like he did last time. He will be dropping out soon! MAGA/KAG

95% Approval Rating in the Republican Party, 53% overall. Not bad considering I get nothing but Fake & Corrupt News, day and night. “Russia, Russia, Russia”, then “the Ukraine Scam (where’s the Whistleblower?)”, the “Impeachment Hoax”, and more, more, more....

....Also, according to the Daily Caller, leading Sleepy Joe Biden in Florida, 48% to 42%.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:51 AM   #895
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,662
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I will totally protect your Medicare & Social Security!
Hitler Tweets

I will totally not invade Poland!

_

Elvis Tweets

I didn't do no drugs!

_

White Star Lines Tweets

We provide enough lifeboats!

_

John Hammond Tweets

Spared no expense!
__________________
- I don't know how to tell you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 11:59 AM   #896
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 49,104
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I will totally protect your Medicare & Social Security!
Hmm I am now wondering if he knows his proposed budget cut those.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 12:06 PM   #897
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,857
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Hitler Tweets

I will totally not invade Poland!

_

Elvis Tweets

I didn't do no drugs!

_

White Star Lines Tweets

We provide enough lifeboats!

_

John Hammond Tweets

Spared no expense!
Trump to Ivana:

I take you to be my wife; to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, to love and to cherish, and to be faithful to you alone, as long as we both shall live.

Trump to Marla:

I take you to be my wife; to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, to love and to cherish, and to be faithful to you alone, as long as we both shall live.

Trump to Melania/Melanie:

I take you to be my wife; to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, to love and to cherish, and to be faithful to you alone, as long as we both shall live.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 12:24 PM   #898
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 35,928
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Hitler Tweets

I will totally not invade Poland!

_

Elvis Tweets

I didn't do no drugs!

_

White Star Lines Tweets

We provide enough lifeboats!

_

John Hammond Tweets

Spared no expense!
But he will totally copy REO Speedwagon!
__________________
"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady
"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 12:35 PM   #899
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26,342
Trump Tweets

I want all Americans to understand: we are at war with an invisible enemy, but that enemy is no match for the spirit and resolve of the American people...

...It cannot overcome the dedication of our doctors, nurses, and scientists — and it cannot beat the LOVE, PATRIOTISM, and DETERMINATION of our citizens. Strong and United, WE WILL PREVAIL!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 12:36 PM   #900
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,469
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't really remember seeing or hearing about this at the time. In Googling I discovered not many links come up to media stories and most, like the one above, are from non-U.S. outlets. (The quote above is from Britain's Evening Standard.) An American president retweeted a photo of a murdered man's corpse and accused one of his political opponents of being all in on it? What the bloody hell? Robert De Niro was right: Trump's a whackjob. It's beyond shameful. No words.



Below is a screen cap with the graphic image blurred.



.
It's not that different to Benghazi. There is just a gratuitous picture there as well.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 12:37 PM   #901
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,106
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
When I cited the professional judgment of one of, if not the, leading DNA experts in the world on the credibility of crucial DNA evidence in a case, not only did the other poster claim an Appeal to Authority, but insisted that expert was a "paid shill". In fact, every single bonafide expert that disagreed with this poster was labeled a "shill" or "bent". Thus is the ability of people to hand wave away that which they do not want to accept.
Yep, pretty standard CT tactics- they taint the criteria by which any objective standard for assessing fact and resolving a question is possible because, for the subject under discussion, the object is not to reach a resolution, but to prolong the discussion (as per JayUtah)- they "win" the argument simply by never, in their minds, losing it.

This may all seem to be veering into OT territory, but I'd argue that it's a valid point when talking about Trump's presidency; it's no accident that a substantial portion of his base is a group of people for whom that CT tactic is a necessary one, a paradigm they need to maintain their belief (in Trump as well as in their more basic god). I mean, of course, the religious fundamentalists- as I've said here before, religion is really just the ultimate conspiracy theory, especially as practiced by fundies. So it should be no surprise that so much of his core base has so little regard for objective fact- it's an obstacle to them, to be waved aside by whatever means they can use, fair or foul, so the question is irresolvable, and opinion, one just as good as any other, reigns supreme. The faith is maintained because it's made indestructible by pure persistence on the one hand and simple attrition on the other- they win by not ever recognizing a standard that could measure loss, and their measure for success is the frustration of people who, in the end, can only shake their heads.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 18th March 2020 at 12:45 PM.
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 12:38 PM   #902
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,469
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Well, I feel my opinion is different than that, and I'm entitled to my truth. Let's agree to disagree, there are two sides to every story! That's democracy! Freedom!! *bald eagle soars majestically, coughs, soars some more*
Let's all be fair and balanced about this.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 12:40 PM   #903
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,469
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Actually, my quote is wrong. He said "I FELT it was a pandemic long before it was declared a pandemic."



Not that he had been informed ahead of the announcement, but he "felt" it.



It's total and utter ********.
I'm feeling a word and it starts with "D"..."D"... no "P" ..... "P"...
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 12:42 PM   #904
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,106
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I want all Americans to understand: we are at war with an invisible enemy, but that enemy is no match for the spirit and resolve of the American people...

...It cannot overcome the dedication of our doctors, nurses, and scientists — and it cannot beat the LOVE, PATRIOTISM, and DETERMINATION of our citizens. Strong and United, WE WILL PREVAIL!
"WOLVERINES!! (And it's a Chinese virus!)"
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 01:11 PM   #905
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,639
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The really annoying thing was, a lot of them would quite happily commit a real Appeal to Authority fallacy when it was in their interests. "Listen to this guy, he was a cop!", and then you realize he's just spewing the same BS, and nothing in it is in any way relevant to his being a cop.
Just a reminder, not saying who needs to be reminded:

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...l-to-Authority
Quote:
Be very careful not to confuse "deferring to an authority on the issue" with the appeal to authority fallacy. Remember, a fallacy is an error in reasoning. Dismissing the council of legitimate experts and authorities turns good skepticism into denialism. The appeal to authority is a fallacy in argumentation, but deferring to an authority is a reliable heuristic that we all use virtually every day on issues of relatively little importance. There is always a chance that any authority can be wrong, that’s why the critical thinker accepts facts provisionally. It is not at all unreasonable (or an error in reasoning) to accept information as provisionally true by credible authorities. Of course, the reasonableness is moderated by the claim being made (i.e., how extraordinary, how important) and the authority (how credible, how relevant to the claim).
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 01:42 PM   #906
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 22,670
I missed the visual, but I heard a reporter ask Trump if he was aware that one of his admin people was calling it the "Kung Flu". But I swear I heard him smirk.

He said (of course) that he hadn't heard that and asked the reporter who had said it. She didn't know, which was poor research on her part.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 01:51 PM   #907
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 27,801
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I will totally protect your Medicare & Social Security!
Both of which were decried as Socialism when proposed.

Meanwhile, add to the list of things the Trump admin can't do competently: The 2020 census. I've received two invitations in as many days. And they're doing it on line. What could possibly go wrong.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 01:51 PM   #908
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,744
All of these nasty, viscous remarks directed at our president... you guys should be ashamed. Step back and think about what kind of person at a moment of national crisis would waste valuable time by posting hateful comments to the Internet.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:00 PM   #909
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,259
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

...It cannot overcome the dedication of our doctors, nurses, and scientists — and it cannot beat the LOVE, PATRIOTISM, and DETERMINATION of our citizens. Strong and United, WE WILL PREVAIL!

Defeating a disease with love, patriotism, and determination. I'm suddenly reminded of a line from a Call of Cthulhu RPG book about modern New Age beliefs and the Mythos. It was something like "All of the visualized white light in the world won't help when an otherworldly abomination is trying to eat your face."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:02 PM   #910
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,744
Anyone who's paying attention knows President Trump's doing a heck've job combatting this Kung Flu.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:39 PM   #911
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,857
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Yep, pretty standard CT tactics- they taint the criteria by which any objective standard for assessing fact and resolving a question is possible because, for the subject under discussion, the object is not to reach a resolution, but to prolong the discussion (as per JayUtah)- they "win" the argument simply by never, in their minds, losing it.

This may all seem to be veering into OT territory, but I'd argue that it's a valid point when talking about Trump's presidency; it's no accident that a substantial portion of his base is a group of people for whom that CT tactic is a necessary one, a paradigm they need to maintain their belief (in Trump as well as in their more basic god). I mean, of course, the religious fundamentalists- as I've said here before, religion is really just the ultimate conspiracy theory, especially as practiced by fundies. So it should be no surprise that so much of his core base has so little regard for objective fact- it's an obstacle to them, to be waved aside by whatever means they can use, fair or foul, so the question is irresolvable, and opinion, one just as good as any other, reigns supreme. The faith is maintained because it's made indestructible by pure persistence on the one hand and simple attrition on the other- they win by not ever recognizing a standard that could measure loss, and their measure for success is the frustration of people who, in the end, can only shake their heads.
Well said.

The main aim of all religions is to explain what we do not know and/or understand and thereby reduce or remove fear. As a species, we do not like not knowing. It makes us uncomfortable and fearful. So we make up answers and explanations. It doesn't matter whether or not these explanations are logical or make any sense. Almost any answer is better than "don't know". The Fundies are used to and accept the idea of an all-powerful, authoritative, single entity who will fix everything. So when Trump tells them "I'm the only one who can fix this," they are primed to believe him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:42 PM   #912
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,857
An indication of how seriously Trump is now taking the pandemic is the fact that we haven't heard about him golfing lately. It must be the End of the World and we just haven't been told yet. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:43 PM   #913
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,469
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's the real reason why he stabbed her in a later episode.
Tried to stab her, IIRC. She sensed he was going to do that a week ahead and went off to have her hair done instead.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:45 PM   #914
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,469
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is now calling himself a Wartime President - which actually isn't that far off the mark.

This crisis might very well be the thing that gets him a second term, even though his administration is largely to blame for the lack of preparedness.
He's finally getting a "message" together that he can sell. Apart from that nothing really changes but the perception can now be managed.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:45 PM   #915
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,812
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
An indication of how seriously Trump is now taking the pandemic is the fact that we haven't heard about him golfing lately. It must be the End of the World and we just haven't been told yet. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
I think it may be an indication that the Secret Service doesn't consider Mar-a-Lago secure anymore. Way too many rich dirtbags spread the virus there.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:48 PM   #916
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,469
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I want all Americans to understand: we are at war with an invisible enemy, but that enemy is no match for the spirit and resolve of the American people...

...It cannot overcome the dedication of our doctors, nurses, and scientists — and it cannot beat the LOVE, PATRIOTISM, and DETERMINATION of our citizens. Strong and United, WE WILL PREVAIL!
In feeling NAUSEOUS after reading that.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 03:37 PM   #917
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility (USA, sort of)
Posts: 25,393
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
<snip>

Meanwhile, add to the list of things the Trump admin can't do competently: The 2020 census. I've received two invitations in as many days. And they're doing it on line. What could possibly go wrong.

I haven't gotten any.

You must have mine.

Give it back!
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 03:47 PM   #918
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,857
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The DNC will have gotten their fondest wish and defeated Bernie Sanders, far ahead of schedule. Now they are doing everything possible to be nice to him in order to keep his supporters. Bernie has given up, just like he did last time. He will be dropping out soon! MAGA/KAG

95% Approval Rating in the Republican Party, 53% overall. Not bad considering I get nothing but Fake & Corrupt News, day and night. “Russia, Russia, Russia”, then “the Ukraine Scam (where’s the Whistleblower?)”, the “Impeachment Hoax”, and more, more, more....

....Also, according to the Daily Caller, leading Sleepy Joe Biden in Florida, 48% to 42%.
Speaking of fake and corrupt, Fivethiryeight has Trump's approval rating at 43% overall, disapproval at 52.8% as of today. Even Rassmussen, which is generally more Trump friendly, has his disapproval at 46%, disapproval at 54%.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 04:08 PM   #919
slyjoe
Graduate Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 1,999
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I missed the visual, but I heard a reporter ask Trump if he was aware that one of his admin people was calling it the "Kung Flu". But I swear I heard him smirk.

He said (of course) that he hadn't heard that and asked the reporter who had said it. She didn't know, which was poor research on her part.
I don't think she needed to do research. The aide said it to her. She just didn't want to out him.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 04:15 PM   #920
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 27,453
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Speaking of fake and corrupt, Fivethiryeight has Trump's approval rating at 43% overall, disapproval at 52.8% as of today. Even Rassmussen, which is generally more Trump friendly, has his disapproval at 46%, disapproval at 54%.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/
So from this page of the thread, I see that the campaign slogan will be:

“Facts Shmacks. Trump 2020.”
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.