IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 06:40 AM   #641
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Presumably neither candidate would reach 270 electoral votes. The House then votes for POTUS and the Senate votes for VP. We could get President Biden and VP Trump!
Given the weird way the House votes in that case (one vote per state), Trump might well be "elected" POTUS if that happens.

Last edited by Firestone; 30th July 2020 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:41 AM   #642
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Presumably neither candidate would reach 270 electoral votes. The House then votes for POTUS and the Senate votes for VP. We could get President Biden and VP Trump!
If there was no election, would there even be a sitting House and Senate ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:45 AM   #643
EE2016
Scholar

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump is calling for the 2020 election to be delayed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53597975

edited to add.....

What would be the mechanism to achieve this ?

Could a compliant Senate and SCOTUS make it happen ?

It's not like we didn't see this type of thing coming. My highly uneducated opinion is that Trump likely knows that he won't win re-election and he is going to use stall tactics so that hopefully his numbers will go up. I do believe only Congress can change the date of election and that probably would not go his way so he'll try some other tactic.

I mean this man has gotten away with things that would have put other presidents behind bars, I don't understand why the party is protecting him so much while he is doing so much damage. I swear I'm living in some sort of nightmare.
EE2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:45 AM   #644
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump is calling for the 2020 election to be delayed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53597975

edited to add.....

What would be the mechanism to achieve this ?

Could a compliant Senate and SCOTUS make it happen ?
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
No, the election is mandated in the Constitution. It would literally require an amendment, so state-by-state ratification in 2/3 of states. It’s not going to happen, any more than Trump is going to “start acting presidential.”
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???
I see this as a watershed moment for other Republicans. If they support it, they no longer deserve to be called American.
Old 30th July 2020, 06:45 AM   #645
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm no Constitutional Scholar but I think in most cases you hold an elected position until you are "officially relieved."

Like the 22nd Amendment doesn't say "You can only be President for a total of 8 years," it says "You can only be a President for two terms" but nothing says how long a term is.
Old 30th July 2020, 06:46 AM   #646
nelsondogg
Critical Thinker

If there is no election I don't think the house would take their vote. That only happens if there is an election and no one gets to 270 electoral votes. I think if there is no election at all, on Jan 20 Pelosi would become president as Trump & Pence's term would end.

Last edited by nelsondogg; 30th July 2020 at 06:47 AM.
nelsondogg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:46 AM   #647
carlitos
"más divertido"

The Trump Presidency: Part 24

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"But he's only doing it to distract us!" is valid, but if it works on his followers isn't the whole story.

Yeah he can destroy the country to distract us from his failures. I'd still rather he didn't.

I know. But honestly, he also says that everything is fine and our country is opening up etc. So why put off the election if everything is fine? It’s just contradictory BS every day. Wear a mask; masks are bad. Polls show me leading; let’s postpone the election. It’s exhausting and (most) people are tiring of it.

Also, these words from Trevor Noah - “we have reached the demon sperm stage of the Trump presidency.” His reality show should be moved from network TV to the Weekly World News.

ETA - my apologies to The Don - apparently Congress mandates the time and manner of the election so in theory they could delay it.

Last edited by carlitos; 30th July 2020 at 06:48 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:49 AM   #648
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It’s exhausting and (most) people are tiring of it.
I was told people were "tiring" of Trump before he even got the Republican nomination in 2016.
Old 30th July 2020, 06:50 AM   #649
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EE2016 View Post
I swear I'm living in some sort of nightmare.
In the other timeline we're still in the impeachment trial over President Clinton's disastrous mishandling of the Covid-19 situation, which left several hundred Americans dead.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:51 AM   #650
carlitos
"más divertido"

In that timeline we all die from the “Benghazi virus.”
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 06:55 AM   #651
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Given the weird way the House votes in that case (one vote per state), Trump might well be "elected" POTUS in that happens.
That's right! Ugh.

The red states wouldn't need to cancel the election. They could simply fail to choose electors based on state of emergency.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:05 AM   #652
EE2016
Scholar

I was told people were "tiring" of Trump before he even got the Republican nomination in 2016.
Where? Maybe in political circles, but in the general populace, Trump seems to have that niche market of die hard fans where he does no wrong. They proudly wave his and the Confederate flag from the back of their trucks while trying to mow down protesters. Here in the deep south, Trump is like God. And the south is loud, so very loud.
EE2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 07:10 AM   #653
carlitos
"más divertido"

Which Trump tweet should we believe today?

Originally Posted by trump
“The Silent Majority will speak on NOVEMBER THIRD!!!”
Old 30th July 2020, 07:15 AM   #654
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Which Trump tweet should we believe today?

Originally Posted by trump
“The Silent Majority will speak on NOVEMBER THIRD!!!”
They will speak, and President Trump would sweep to victory were it not for the (tens of) millions of fraudulent votes cast by illegals, multiple voters and fake postal votes.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 07:17 AM   #655
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Three months ago:

Clipboard01.jpg
Old 30th July 2020, 07:59 AM   #656
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Pointing out that Trump can't actually delay the election is missing the point.

- Trump's pretty good at doing thing he's can't do
- He's trying to invalidate the election, not actually delay it.

Trump wants it so as many of his followers as possible consider him the "rightful" President come November/January. He isn't concerned in the least that he can't technically according to Hoyle actually really delay the election.

Again he hasn't been playing the "Deep state is out to get me" tune for almost his entire Presidency just because he likes the melody.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 30th July 2020 at 08:00 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:00 AM   #657
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by nelsondogg View Post
If there is no election I don't think the house would take their vote. That only happens if there is an election and no one gets to 270 electoral votes. I think if there is no election at all, on Jan 20 Pelosi would become president as Trump & Pence's term would end.
If there is no election, Biden would file a lawsuit. At that point SCOTUS, in effect, would decide who sits in the Oval Office on Jan 21.

There must be a legal way for Congress to postpone an election. If all three segments of the New Madrid fault shifted 3 days before the election, then there would be a million people (spread over 8 states) looking for shelters with working utilities.
Old 30th July 2020, 08:03 AM   #658
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
There must be a legal way for Congress to postpone an election. If all three segments of the New Madrid fault shifted 3 days before the election, then there would be a million people (spread over 8 states) looking for shelters with working utilities.
The whole "You can do whatever you want as long as nobody stops you" thing I've often alluded to with Trump works both ways though.

If a (sane) President, Congress, and SCOTUS all agreed that election needed to be delayed by X amount of time due to Y valid reason... what would stop them?

Hypothetically this is why we have Electoral Voters instead of direct democracy, those 538 people could (again theoretically) maintain the election.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 30th July 2020 at 08:06 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:17 AM   #659
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Pointing out that Trump can't actually delay the election is missing the point.

- Trump's pretty good at doing thing he's can't do
- He's trying to invalidate the election, not actually delay it.

Trump wants it so as many of his followers as possible consider him the "rightful" President come November/January. He isn't concerned in the least that he can't technically according to Hoyle actually really delay the election.

Again he hasn't been playing the "Deep state is out to get me" tune for almost his entire Presidency just because he likes the melody.
Yes. You do raise two good points.

On the other hand, his philosophy may not be “I am certain that I cannot delay the election so I’ll just force my followers to question the legitimacy of the election.” It could be “They say that the president cannot single-handedly delay an election. But they are talking about ordinary presidents. I am the smartest, most powerful, most knowledgeable, most charismatic person to ever walk the Earth, so maybe I can cancel postpone an election. And even if I am not successful, I will have sown the seeds of doubt.”

ETA
There is a certain danger in assuming that Trump is acting in a clever rational manner.

Last edited by Ladewig; 30th July 2020 at 08:19 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:20 AM   #660
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

“They say that the president cannot single-handedly delay an election. But they are talking about ordinary presidents. I am the smartest, most powerful, most knowledgeable, most charismatic person to ever walk the Earth, so maybe I can cancel postpone an election."
Or as Bill Maher put it "Stop telling Trump he can't do things! That's the kind of dare that gets him hard."
Old 30th July 2020, 08:24 AM   #661
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

ETA
There is a certain danger in assuming that Trump is acting in a clever rational manner.
Yeah the Left has been bad about pointing out over and over that Trump isn't acting rationally as if that's somehow the key to beating him.

A child who's thrown himself on the floor of the toy store and is kicking and screaming isn't acting rationally either. That doesn't make them easier to deal with.
Old 30th July 2020, 08:25 AM   #662
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Prediction

Told you so:

Quote:
I'm not thinking of a business opportunity. The virus is probably going to affect the whole tourist and hospitality industry negatively: travel agencies, airlines, cruise lines, theme parks and hotels.
We also know that he has no idea whatsoever what a virus or a pandemic is.
But he has already stated several times that he might try to stay in office if he is not reelected in November.
Declaring a state of emergency could be the way for him to cancel or postpone the primaries as well as the presidential election altogether - at least until a vaccine is ready if it ever is.
Having to cancel his own ego-boosting rallies might be the only thing preventing him from doing so.
Will Trump See Covid-19 as an Opportunity? (Feb. 26, 2020)

He has already cancelled his rallies, so what would be his motivation for stopping now?

Quote:
With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???
Trump tweet (July 30, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:49 AM   #663
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Told you so:

He has already cancelled his rallies, so what would be his motivation for stopping now?

The Heritage Foundation, of all people, say that he has no authority, even with a state of emergency. Governors can declare states of emergency in their states and postpone elections, but they have to be rescheduled within a limited time period.

The article is from March and set up as "those paranoid Libs don't know what they're talking about", so I suppose they may change their tune.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:50 AM   #664
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Kate Brown, Governor of Oregon, isn’t doing her job. She must clear out, and in some cases arrest, the Anarchists & Agitators in Portland. If she can’t do it, the Federal Government will do it for her. We will not be leaving until there is safety!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:53 AM   #665
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Drug prices will soon be lowered massively. Big Pharma (Drug Companies) are advertising against me like crazy because lower prices mean less profit. When you watch a Fake Ad, just think lower drug prices!!!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:54 AM   #666
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Support Patio Pizza and its wonderful owner, Guy Caligiuri, in St. James, Long Island (N.Y.). Great Pizza!!!
@Varneyco
Old 30th July 2020, 08:57 AM   #667
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

Support Patio Pizza and its wonderful owner, Guy Caligiuri, in St. James, Long Island (N.Y.). Great Pizza!!!
@Varneyco

This seemed like a really strange nonsequiter, so I Googled the guy's name.

Long Island restaurant 'canceled' for flying Trump flag

That's the only non-Facebook, non-Reddit link that comes up. A customer complained about his restaurant on Facebook. Oh no.

Last edited by Armitage72; 30th July 2020 at 08:59 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 09:11 AM   #668
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If only there was a package of measures to secure elections from fraud. A package like the one the dems put forwards on election security after the 2016 election?
The one that human-turtle hybrid sat on and ignored?
Old 30th July 2020, 09:17 AM   #669
lobosrul5
Master Poster

I'm no Constitutional Scholar but I think in most cases you hold an elected position until you are "officially relieved."

Like the 22nd Amendment doesn't say "You can only be President for a total of 8 years," it says "You can only be a President for two terms" but nothing says how long a term is.
The 22nd Amendment doesn't specify, however the US Constitution does.

Article II, Section 1:

The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his office during the term of four years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same term, be elected, as follows:
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 09:20 AM   #670
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

150,000 deaths, unemployment benefit expiring, and the worst economic quarter in 100 years. So Trump tweets something crazy to distract everyone. Go ahead and waste your time seriously analyzing it; you may as well study your navel.
Bingo!

People (as in the country) haven't learned this is his pattern. Can't hold a rally to get press coverage, say something outrageous. He just likes craves the attention.
Old 30th July 2020, 09:20 AM   #671
lobosrul5
Master Poster

We didn't delay elections in 1862 or 1864 during the Civil War. We didn't delay elections in 1918 during the Spanish Flu which killed for more people then COVID. Didn't delay for either world war. But we need to because the sitting president asserts that there will be widespread voter fraud with no evidence?

We're going to test just how resilient we are as a democracy this year.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 09:23 AM   #672
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
We didn't delay elections in 1862 or 1864 during the Civil War. We didn't delay elections in 1918 during the Spanish Flu which killed for more people then COVID. Didn't delay for either world war. But we need to because the sitting president asserts that there will be widespread voter fraud with no evidence?

We're going to test just how resilient we are as a democracy this year.
Yeah but we're being reassured that everything is fine because "The rules say he can't do that!" which is roughly as reassuring as having a man with a hockey mask hacking your door down with a machete, calling 911, and being assured by the operated "Oh don't worry, murder is illegal! He can't kill you!" and then hanging up on you.
Old 30th July 2020, 09:24 AM   #673
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Trump Tweets

But we must open the schools promptly!
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 09:31 AM   #674
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by nelsondogg View Post
This is from the legal eagle YouTube channel that did an episode about this a few months back...

With no election this is what would happen...

- trump is out (it's in the constitution). So is pence and the rest of Trump's cabinet

- everyone in the house is out (since their term is 2 years). So, no Pelosi presidency

- any senators up for reelection are out. So you only have 2/3rds of the senate left. Since the Republicans are defending more seats, they would lose the majority and the democrats would take over

- without trump/trump boot-lickers/Pelosi around, the next in line to replace trump would be the president pro-tempore of the senate. With the democrats now in control of the senate, that job would probably fall to the longest serving democratic senator still in office.

That is of course what "legally" would happen... A military coup or blatant ignoring of the laws by the courts would be necessary to change that.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 09:40 AM   #675
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Spitball//

Could Trump somehow (or does he think he can somehow) delay the Presidential election but not the Congressional one?
Old 30th July 2020, 09:49 AM   #676
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

//Spitball//

Could Trump somehow (or does he think he can somehow) delay the Presidential election but not the Congressional one?
The date for the election is in the constitution.

(And so is the length of his term... Even if bysome miracle the Presidential election was delayed past February, hi is out of a job on inauguration day, and next in line would be speaker of the house.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 09:57 AM   #677
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Pompeo just claimed Bill Barr will decide whether the election is delayed.
I thought that power laid with Congress?

I think the coup is under way
Old 30th July 2020, 10:00 AM   #678
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The article is from March and set up as "those paranoid Libs don't know what they're talking about", so I suppose they may change their tune.

There's this one from April! Also didn't age well. But got a lot of new comments today.

Quote:
@JoeBiden
said yesterday that
@realDonaldTrump
intends to delay the election. He knows that’s false and should apologize. My latest for
@realDonaldTrump
Henry Olsen tweet (Twitter, April 24, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 10:01 AM   #679
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Pompeo just claimed Bill Barr will decide whether the election is delayed.
I thought that power laid with Congress?

I think the coup is under way
Need a link.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:01 AM   #680
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yeah the Left has been bad about pointing out over and over that Trump isn't acting rationally as if that's somehow the key to beating him.

A child who's thrown himself on the floor of the toy store and is kicking and screaming isn't acting rationally either. That doesn't make them easier to deal with.
Are you saying it's time for a spanking?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics