IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Borat Subsequent" , "Borat" , rudy giuliani , Sacha Baron Cohen

Old 22nd October 2020, 07:33 PM   #121
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Exactly! Giving him the benefit of the doubt is so pre-post-fact worldy. Just keep repeating it and throwing it the wall and see if it sticks.
I accept that we are in a cold civil war for the future of the country. I've read what Clausewitz said about trying to wage limited war and it was not complementary. If we are in a civil war then the ends justify the means. I wouldn't bat an eye if the incident was an entire fabrication and his life was ruined over nothing. He's an enemy influencer and it doesn't matter how he is disrupted just so long as he is.
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:00 PM   #122
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Quick question: Why couldn't Rudi tuck his shirt in standing up? I'm close that that age and I can do it OK.
He's more comfortable lying.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:32 PM   #123
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I accept that we are in a cold civil war for the future of the country. I've read what Clausewitz said about trying to wage limited war and it was not complementary. If we are in a civil war then the ends justify the means. I wouldn't bat an eye if the incident was an entire fabrication and his life was ruined over nothing. He's an enemy influencer and it doesn't matter how he is disrupted just so long as he is.
You're not supposed to say the quiet part out loud, dude.
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:35 PM   #124
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but how old did Giuliani think she was? Did she tell him her age, and if so, what age did she claim to be?
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:38 PM   #125
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

From Slate: A Shot-by-Shot Analysis of the New Borat’s Giuliani Scene

https://slate.com/culture/2020/10/bo...-analyzed.html

Basic conclusion - It's Not a Documentary.
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:05 PM   #126
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but how old did Giuliani think she was? Did she tell him her age, and if so, what age did she claim to be?
Better question: how old did he think he was?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:06 PM   #127
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
From Slate: A Shot-by-Shot Analysis of the New Borat’s Giuliani Scene

https://slate.com/culture/2020/10/bo...-analyzed.html

Basic conclusion - It's Not a Documentary.
Well of course, it’s meant to be a comedy movie. I hate to break it to the Slate but Borat isn’t a real person, he is what is known as a character, that is someone who pretends or as those in the know call it acts as if they are someone else...

Slightly more seriously, the in-character response from Cohen is funny but I doubt I could watch a whole movie of such comedy. Cohen couldn’t buy the amount of free publicity this is generating for his film,

Last edited by Darat; 22nd October 2020 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Oh a
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:19 PM   #128
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Better question: how old did he think he was?
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:03 PM   #129
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Well of course, it’s meant to be a comedy movie. I hate to break it to the Slate but Borat isn’t a real person, he is what is known as a character, that is someone who pretends or as those in the know call it acts as if they are someone else...

Slightly more seriously, the in-character response from Cohen is funny but I doubt I could watch a whole movie of such comedy. Cohen couldn’t buy the amount of free publicity this is generating for his film,
I thought Borat was great when it was released, but that was 14 years ago. Hard as it might be for SBC to believe, tastes change. I'll try out the new movie, but I'm not excited about the prospect. Whimsical meanness and stereotypical caricatures don't float my boat like they used to. My sense that he's punching down doesn't help.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:20 AM   #130
llwyd
Muse

Well, Borat himself defends Giuliani - I think this powerful statement will lay the controversy to rest:

https://twitter.com/BoratSagdiyev/st...550561792?s=20
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:26 AM   #131
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Well, Borat himself defends Giuliani - I think this powerful statement will lay the controversy to rest:

I have never enjoyed the Borat character, I've always found it cringe-inducing, but that was a very funny response.

If Rudy Giuliani is so wronged, I'd expect the lawsuits to fly but the absence of them so far I'd have to think that he's been caught bang to rights.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:36 AM   #132
llwyd
Muse

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I have never enjoyed the Borat character, I've always found it cringe-inducing, but that was a very funny response.
Me neither, not my cup of tea when it comes to comedy. But apparently his real persona is thoughtful and articulate and his straight talks in media are intelligent and well argued:

https://youtu.be/ymaWq5yZIYM
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 01:35 AM   #133
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This could go in this thread or the Trump Presidency thread as it's apropos to both. This is downright scary.

Quote:
(In the Borat movie) Close to a gun shop, he (Borat) encounters a man who offers Borat a place to say. There, we see two men engage in a conversation about sinister practices that they believe the former President Bill Clinton and his First Lady and one-time Senator, Secretary of State and presidential nominee Hillary Clinton engage in.

Ever the provocateur, Borat asks the two men who is more dangerous, the Democrats or the coronavirus, to which they emphatically say the former.

They continue: "I think with the Democrats, with Obama and I think it goes back to the Clintons when they were also in office." They then agree with Borat when he asks if the Clintons created "this plague."

The second man then says: "The Clintons are very evil. Mostly they torture these kids, it gets their adrenaline flowing in their body, then they take that out of their adrenal glands, and then they drink their blood and that."

Borat then asks them directly whether Hillary Clinton drinks the blood of children, to which the man replies, "that's what we've heard...it's been said."
Quote:
The QAnon conspiracy theory has been condemned by the U.S. House of Representatives, and the FBI has labeled the movement around it as a domestic terrorist threat. However, in September a Daily Kos/Civiqs poll of 1,368 people found that a majority of Republicans believe the conspiracy of a deep-state pedophile ring is either "mostly true" (33 percent) or true in "some parts." (23 percent).

More recently, a Yahoo News/YouGov poll saw that while 59 percent of the 1,583 registered voters polled thought QAnon was "an extremist conspiracy theory with no basis in fact," half of Trump supporters said they believed that the President is fighting against a child sex-trafficking ring run by Democrats.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=uxbndlbing
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 02:06 AM   #134
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This is it. When Borat does this kind of thing, I don't mind. When Michael Moore does it, I do. That's because Moore is posing as a journalist and Cohen isn't.
Old 23rd October 2020, 03:16 AM   #135
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Then you must looove Bruno.

Have you ever seen the Borat fox hunt episode/clip?
Old 23rd October 2020, 04:02 AM   #136
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The Borat character is meant to be cringe-inducing, which makes it so much more revealing when people he interacts with aren't grossed out by opinions, attitudes and behavior.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 23rd October 2020 at 04:20 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:03 AM   #137
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

After Rudy's trips to Ukraine, I bet both the Russians and the Ukrainians have far more explicit video than what Borat came up with.
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:06 AM   #138
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There's another screenshot:

As someone who tucks in his shirt everyday I go to work, I can say without a doubt that he is not tucking in his shirt.
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:43 AM   #139
Foggy of the Fogbow
Thinker

Tonight the movie will be released on Amazon Prime, I do believe.
Foggy of the Fogbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 07:31 AM   #140
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Foggy of the Fogbow View Post
Tonight the movie will be released on Amazon Prime, I do believe.
They released it early and it’s available as of last night.

I enjoyed it, but it’s definitely not as funny as the first one. However you feel about Borat and that style of comedy, this movie will not change your mind.

The Giuliani scene was slightly disappointing in that there is not really more to it than what has already been revealed. Again, however you feel about what is happening in that scene probably won’t change after seeing it.

Anyone looking for a “gotcha” is missing the point. Cohen’s approach isn’t to expose (no pun intended), it’s to ridicule.

That Giuliani has had to make an impassioned public plea that he was only tucking in his shirt is exactly the punchline Cohen was looking for.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 07:41 AM   #141
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I read somewhere that the real bombshell is that Rudy claims that China manufactured Covid-19 and intentionally spread it across the globe.

Rudy is mainlining the CT crack. This will not go well.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 07:51 AM   #142
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I've watched it as well. Did not enjoy it as much as the first Borat movie. It just wasn't as funny. Maybe it's a well that you cannot visit more than once.

I agree that the Rudy scene is no more revealing--insofar as sexual indiscretion goes--than what we already know. It is quite possible that it's been edited to portray a narrative more unflattering than what unedited footage might show. It's still embarrassing in my opinion, either way.

But I was struck more by his CT ramblings about China deliberately releasing Covid on the world. That is a dangerous claim that, if truly believed, could escalate hostilities between nations. That will not likely happen, but it's a reckless charge to even flirt with. If you truly thought that an adversarial nation deliberately set in motion a chain of events that has already killed amost a quarter million of your citizens, you would almost certainly go to war, would you not?

Last edited by dmaker; 23rd October 2020 at 07:52 AM.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 07:53 AM   #143
Elagabalus
Philosopher

If Rudy Giuliani is so wronged, I'd expect the lawsuits to fly but the absence of them so far I'd have to think that he's been caught bang to rights.
Will Ferrell should play Borat. It would be just as funny.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 08:01 AM   #144
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
That Giuliani has had to make an impassioned public plea that he was only tucking in his shirt is exactly the punchline Cohen was looking for.
Real "I was in the pool!" energy.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 08:03 AM   #145
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile in Toronto harbour,
A giant inflatable Borat has taken over the Toronto waterfront
https://www.blogto.com/film/2020/10/...to-waterfront/

and other harbours around the world. Hands visible at all times and locations.
Old 23rd October 2020, 08:11 AM   #146
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The only part of the first Borat movie that I liked (but I really liked it) was when he went to sing the national anthem at the rodeo in Texas, and sang it for Kazakhstan, or something like that.

That cracked me up.
Old 23rd October 2020, 07:00 PM   #147
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
You're not supposed to say the quiet part out loud, dude.
Though I would do anything regardless of how immoral, unethical or dishonest to see Trump lose the election. I'm slightly disappointed that because of Trump's stupidity that none of those things are necessary because Trump is so dishonest and incompetent that no dirty tricks aren't required. I don't think Rudy pleasuring himself will change many votes. I just think it's funny his life is being destroyed. That it might be untrue is even funnier.

Last edited by Craig4; 23rd October 2020 at 07:24 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 07:15 PM   #148
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't find Borat funny. But neither do I believe sleazy Rudy.
Old 23rd October 2020, 08:40 PM   #149
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

He is an obliging gentleman who didn't want to deprive a young woman of his scintillating conversation.
I'm betting is conversation is not what was scintillating
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 02:59 AM   #150
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/BoratSagdiyev/st...63161071431691

Quote:
Trump very careful who he let into his events and house. No Covid test necessary - High 5!
Footage embedded in tweet.

Basically, the actor playing his daughter was able to gain access to Eric Trump and the White House, despite being a fictional character.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 24th October 2020 at 03:01 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 03:11 AM   #151
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Not surprising, after all "Trump the successful business man" got access to the White House despite being fictional.
Old 24th October 2020, 04:42 AM   #152
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sacha Baron Cohen weighs in on Rudy Giuliani's questionable #Borat scene:"If the president's lawyer found what he did there appropriate behavior, then heaven knows what he's done with other female journalists in hotel rooms" http://thr.cm/3Y9W3c4
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 04:53 AM   #153
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post

"I warn you, anyone else try this, and Rudolph will not hesitate to reach into his legal briefs and whip out his subpoenas."
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 04:56 AM   #154
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He actually says “subpenis”.
Old 24th October 2020, 05:15 AM   #155
BillC
Bazooka Joe

He actually says “subpenis”.
I know but shush.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 07:10 AM   #156
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Inferred emphasis on sub-
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 08:41 AM   #157
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Quick question: Why couldn't Rudi tuck his shirt in standing up? I'm close that that age and I can do it OK.
Plus he’s wearing his suit coat. Seems odd to me, but then it would be odd in any case.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 08:57 AM   #158
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

He has a cruel streak a mile wide. If you think comedians are supposed to make their audiences deeply uncomfortable, then he’s brilliant. I mean, he *is* brilliant, but a little goes a long way, especially the Borat character. I hate to see practical jokes - “Candid Camera” made me wince as well.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 09:04 AM   #159
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The only part of the first Borat movie that I liked (but I really liked it) was when he went to sing the national anthem at the rodeo in Texas, and sang it for Kazakhstan, or something like that.

That cracked me up.
He talks about spilling the blood of every Iraqi - man, woman and child. The audience is silent; the boos don’t start until he mangles “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

I always wondered if the marks understood how deeply ignorant they look.
Old 24th October 2020, 02:55 PM   #160
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Anyone looking for a “gotcha” is missing the point. Cohen’s approach isn’t to expose (no pun intended), it’s to ridicule.

No, it's not. He is obviously not an investigative journalist, but his purpose is to see what kind of reaction he can get out of people. Sometimes the reaction makes people look ridiculous, sometimes it's the exact opposite. The two old Jewish ladies in the synagogue, for instance, aren't ridiculous. On the contrary, they come across as very sincere and actually endearing in spite of the character of Borat.

One of them, Judith Dim Edwards, has died since the scene was filmed, and for some reason, the estate is suing SBC: Baron Cohen sued by Holocaust survivor’s estate over appearance in Borat sequel (Times of Israel, Oct. 15, 2020)
In my opinion, the scene honors her. And it's important for the message of the film: The world may be full of despicable ********, but they aren't all ********. And everybody has a choice: to be an ******* or to stand up to the ********.

Judith Dim Edwards appears to have been one of the latter, Giuliani is one of the former, but not because of the shirt-tucking, which appears to be all he's doing.

And no, if your belt is too tight, it's difficult to tuck your shirt in while sitting. You will have to either lie back or stand up to do so.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 24th October 2020 at 02:57 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics