IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th November 2020, 09:09 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Metal monolith found in remote part of Utah

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-part-of-utah

Quote:
A mysterious monolith has been discovered in a remote part of Utah, after being spotted by state employees counting sheep from a helicopter.

The structure, estimated at between 10ft and 12ft high (about 3 metres), appeared to be planted in the ground. It was made from some sort of metal, its shine in sharp contrast to the enormous red rocks which surrounded it.
Anybody got a clue as to what it might be?
Old 24th November 2020, 09:11 AM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Look, Megatron only paid me a thousand bucks to hide his Horcrux. That was barely enough to afford the truck to get it out there. You get what you pay for, and he paid for a trash dumping in the desert.
Old 24th November 2020, 09:15 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

All the clues I have point to a recent man-made object. My guess is it's some sort of poorly-conceived publicity stunt.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Any chimps throwing bones?

This is what worries me: “ been about the strangest thing that I’ve come across out there in all my years of flying.”

“About”? What the hell else is out there?

Last edited by Darat; 24th November 2020 at 09:19 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 09:17 AM   #5
StillSleepy
Muse

Might be one of the mail delivery waypoints again.

ETA: Given that the pilot had to be almost directly over it to see it, apparently not.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”

Last edited by StillSleepy; 24th November 2020 at 09:21 AM.
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 09:18 AM   #6
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Any chimps throwing bones?
I suspect that will happen to anybody who touches it.
Old 24th November 2020, 09:20 AM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Betting money, art piece. For some reason putting stuff way out in the desert for no reason is popular with the arthouse type.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 09:25 AM   #8
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I think it’s where Trump’s lawyers are hiding the evidence of election fraud.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Can't have been out there for long. No bullet marks.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 10:26 AM   #10
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

What surprises me more is that sheep seem to be thriving in what looks to be such a hostile environment.
Old 24th November 2020, 10:31 AM   #11
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Betting money, art piece. For some reason putting stuff way out in the desert for no reason is popular with the arthouse type.

The helicopter pilot thinks the same thing. The story includes this:
Quote:
“I’m assuming it’s some new wave artist or something or, you know, somebody that was a big 2001: A Space Odyssey fan,” Hutchings said.

The monolith and its setting resembled a famous scene from Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 film, in which a group of apes encounter a giant slab.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 11:01 AM   #12
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
What surprises me more is that sheep seem to be thriving in what looks to be such a hostile environment.
Have they attempted to make any tools since it showed up? Because that'd be pretty impressive, frankly.
Old 24th November 2020, 11:28 AM   #13
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Probably so but not an easy installation.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 11:41 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My understanding is that the proportions are wrong for it to be the work of a 2001 fan. Also I can't decide if it's funny or sad that reddit is able to come up with something besides a 2001 joke.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 11:58 AM   #15
Planigale
Illuminator

Oh! That's where I left it, I was just looking for it the other day.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 12:14 PM   #16
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

...state employees counting sheep from a helicopter.

That sounds dangerous. How do they stay awake?
Old 24th November 2020, 12:20 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Their video doesn't show the guys climbing up on another's shoulder to look at the top. And they photoshopped this monolith for the one in 2001 where that monolith was wider.

They joked if they disappeared when one touched it everyone should run. What a fun thing to find.

If someone did it as a joke one wonders when they expected it to be found. An overview of the area is pretty interesting, lots and lots of similar canyons in an otherwise relatively flat-ish desert.

The longer video was on ABC news. I'll look for it.

Here's the news video with a teeny bit more than in the Guardian story. It shows the terrain and has an interview with one of the crew members.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th November 2020 at 12:39 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 12:26 PM   #18
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

It looks familiar. Something from a movie or a video game, but I can't place it. It's not 2001, that was a slab, and black.
Old 24th November 2020, 12:30 PM   #19
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

This is not a monolith... its made of metal

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
It looks familiar. Something from a movie or a video game, but I can't place it. It's not 2001, that was a slab, and black.
TARS from Interstellar?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...lUK4Q&usqp=CAU

Also, have a look at the video. Its apparent the object is not rectangular, it only has three sides, like a giant Toblerone box stood on end.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 24th November 2020 at 12:37 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 12:33 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

TARS from Interstellar?

TARS is also a slab and black. This is not a slab, and it's not black.
Old 24th November 2020, 12:38 PM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

More so than the Monolith from 2001 the thing that immediately springs to mind for me is the Prada Marfa, a full size mockup of a Prada store put by the side of a remote road 26 miles from the nearest town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prada_Marfa
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 01:22 PM   #22
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Have they attempted to make any tools since it showed up? Because that'd be pretty impressive, frankly.
Until they start going after their main predators with them.
Old 24th November 2020, 01:27 PM   #23
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

TARS from Interstellar?

Also, have a look at the video. Its apparent the object is not rectangular, it only has three sides, like a giant Toblerone box stood on end.
So it's a Toblerone out of its box but still in its foil wrapper. And obviously it's from the future, sent back to warn us that Toblerone will continue to reduce the amount of chocolate in their product, making the gaps between the chunks bigger and bigger, until eventually all that's left is the empty wrapper.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 02:13 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Oh my God. It's full of ballots!
Old 24th November 2020, 02:15 PM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

TARS from Interstellar?

The Utah monolith is square in depth and width.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 02:36 PM   #26
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
And golden tablets, with the word of God as written by the Angel Moroni.

Utah, after all....
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 02:37 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
So it's a Toblerone out of its box but still in its foil wrapper. And obviously it's from the future, sent back to warn us that Toblerone will continue to reduce the amount of chocolate in their product, making the gaps between the chunks bigger and bigger, until eventually all that's left is the empty wrapper.
Toblerone is actually just moving their chocolate out of the first three dimensions. Inside this wrapper is chocolate they've moved into the time dimension as a tax dodge. In 2120, backtiming is the new offshoring.
Old 24th November 2020, 02:53 PM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

One of the main principles of sciencemen (and scienceladies, of course) is observation; we should observify the item to see what we can deduce of its nature. First and foremost what springs instantly to our awareness is the total lack of whales in the area surrounding it. For fifty feet in every direction--including up and down!-- there is a 100% absence of all known whales. Humpback whales, killer whales, blue whales, green whales: you name them, they ain't there. Therefore we can draw the conclusion that the object generates a whale-repelling field at the minimum, possibly a whale-disintegrating field.

What does the scienceman (or sciencegirl) do next? Why, he (or she, I guess) performs an experiment! We must test the hypothesod! By dropping a variety of whales and other large animals onto the monolith from above. If the whales vanish, we'll know we were right about the whale disintegrator field. If all the animals vanish, we'll know the monolith's programming has been disturbed to mis-identify other things as being whales. If the whales instead of disintegrating bounce upward again, or slide down an invisible dome, we'll know the field merely repels whales.

So what's the next step? Why, to develop a way to make this useful to mankind (or womenkind, if we must)! We could retro-reverse-un-engineer the monolith to create a whale attractor device, or perhaps a whale-making device! Then we could simultaneously keep our oceans safe and feed the hungry! It's all very, very scientofic and logical, if you follow precisely how I have explained it, because I said so. Let victory be the tiara with which we adorn our pure reason and set it gently upon our glorious hair of intellect, I always say. Well, once, anyway, just now. Now read all that back in a Skeletor voice and tell me you aren't convinced!
Old 24th November 2020, 02:59 PM   #29
8enotto
Graduate Poster

It's a broken arrow from a secret military program. It was unsafe to land with the plane but dropping it on Utah wouldn't ruin anything of value.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 03:19 PM   #30
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post

Land of the lost pylon?
Old 24th November 2020, 03:33 PM   #31
rockinkt
Master Poster

Made me laugh out loud!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 03:38 PM   #32
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nommed.

(You bastard Parcher - you owe me a new keyboard!!!)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 03:50 PM   #33
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Utah monolith is square in depth and width...
... and triangular in cross-section

Old 24th November 2020, 04:19 PM   #34
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

I was hesitant to make too much of a 2001 thing out of it. My nitpick reflex rejected it not being in the proportions of 1x4x9 (the squares of 1, 2, and 3).

The triangle aspect makes this really just more of a random "huh."
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 04:30 PM   #35
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I was hesitant to make too much of a 2001 thing out of it. My nitpick reflex rejected it not being in the proportions of 1x4x9 (the squares of 1, 2, and 3).

The triangle aspect makes this really just more of a random "huh."
The monoliths in the films aren't 1x4x9. An actual 1x4x9 one would look wrong, as in unlike the movie ones. Mostly, too thick, because as far as I've ever been able to tell the ratio 4:9 is pretty close for the width and height.
Old 24th November 2020, 04:40 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

... and triangular in cross-section

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6l5as9y25z...Mon1.png?raw=1
OK, I found a reference to a "three sided" object in one of the news reports.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th November 2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 24th November 2020, 05:02 PM   #37
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think that's a shadow.
Nope
"The shiny, triangular pillar – which protrudes around 12 feet (3.6 metres) from the red rocks of southern Utah – was spotted last Wednesday by baffled local officials counting bighorn sheep from the air."

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...ered-us-desert
Old 24th November 2020, 05:03 PM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
The monoliths in the films aren't 1x4x9. An actual 1x4x9 one would look wrong, as in unlike the movie ones. Mostly, too thick, because as far as I've ever been able to tell the ratio 4:9 is pretty close for the width and height.
Are you seriously calling out that the props in the movie don't have the exact proportions given in the story?
Old 24th November 2020, 05:16 PM   #39
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Nope
"The shiny, triangular pillar – which protrudes around 12 feet (3.6 metres) from the red rocks of southern Utah – was spotted last Wednesday by baffled local officials counting bighorn sheep from the air."

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...ered-us-desert
I edited my post 15 minutes before you posted this.
Old 24th November 2020, 05:32 PM   #40
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Did you account for the time difference in New Zealand?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events